ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2014, 11:25 PM   #1906
NorCalLanesplitter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmTheBatman View Post
No doubt red dog. It was a last minute idea though and thought I'd throw it out just in case. I did the route and it was good. Caught a few fish and enjoyed the scenery. Glad to have ridden hogsback and now I don't have to do it ever again. Nothing like miles of lava cap to rattle my innards out of place. Yikes!
Hi, I'd like to do that ride since I haven't yet. I am free for Sunday. Feel free to contact me at two zero six, four seven three, one two eight three. I live in Chico and ready to ride!
NorCalLanesplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:27 AM   #1907
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Missing

Hop-Sing has been missing. Returned today from the West, in on Reeds Creek Rd.
Next Adventure is brewing, School is almost out.
Eying out Eastern Oregon. "The Oregon Trunk". K-Falls, Bend, Madras, Down/Up the Deshuchtes. Cross the mighty Columbia. Follow that down to Vancouver, Then working my way South on the U.P.

Sorry but no companion's, or you must be crazy and have references.

Now as far as Respect. I grew up with a father that took me hunting , fishing , backpacking. we studied birds and plants. He was an engineer and I learned about numbers. We were lucky to have had the freedom of riding everywhere. But numbers do not lie, and space has become more precious.

Closed gates, riding on the rode before getting a license, speeding. all just a misdemeanor. I do those sometimes. But I always do them with respect.

My hands are not cuffed, my feet not shackled. They haven't locked me away for good.
So my next Adventure awaits.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #1908
ChicoProf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Riding to Colorado

I just moved up to a bike that will handle highway speeds better than my little Sherpa. I'm planning to take a road trip to Colorado in a couple weeks, and thinking about riding Hwy 50 most of the way, skipping the somewhat shorter freeways, and making stops every 75-90 minutes to walk and stretch. Has anyone motorcycled on Hwy 50 for that much distance lately? Good ride, or should I just run the freeways instead? Are services frequent enough?

Thanks!
Brian
ChicoProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #1909
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoProf View Post
I just moved up to a bike that will handle highway speeds better than my little Sherpa. I'm planning to take a road trip to Colorado in a couple weeks, and thinking about riding Hwy 50 most of the way, skipping the somewhat shorter freeways, and making stops every 75-90 minutes to walk and stretch. Has anyone motorcycled on Hwy 50 for that much distance lately? Good ride, or should I just run the freeways instead? Are services frequent enough?

Thanks!
Brian
50 is kind of neat in it's own way,they call it the loneliest road in the country,but its still cool riding along it for hours,I dont like freeways much myself. Just plan ahead for gas and maybe carry a gallon just for grins. Your trip will be all paved? Colorado is a favorite of mine.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #1910
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:

Thanks!
Brian
What bike did you get?
Old 06-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #1911
ChicoProf
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgarden Bob View Post
What bike did you get?
BMW F700GS; somewhat limited off-road (not planning to jump any logs...), but it will be so much nicer for long haul rides. We are keeping the Sherpa for now as well.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #1912
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Take a look at this thread. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=983529
Old 06-04-2014, 10:52 PM   #1913
ChicoProf
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
50 is kind of neat in it's own way,they call it the loneliest road in the country,but its still cool riding along it for hours,I dont like freeways much myself. Just plan ahead for gas and maybe carry a gallon just for grins. Your trip will be all paved? Colorado is a favorite of mine.
Thank you - Colorado is a favorite of mine as well. Did lots of dual sport riding there thirty years ago growing up, but this trip will be all road. Looking forward to riding with my brother and father when I get there, and with dad approaching 80 that may not be true for much longer.

Have you been on 50 lately? I figure I've got a pretty safe 200-mile cruising range on the new bike, but will figure out a rotopax or similar.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:10 AM   #1914
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Thank you - Colorado is a favorite of mine as well. Did lots of dual sport riding there thirty years ago growing up, but this trip will be all road. Looking forward to riding with my brother and father when I get there, and with dad approaching 80 that may not be true for much longer.

Have you been on 50 lately? I figure I've got a pretty safe 200-mile cruising range on the new bike, but will figure out a rotopax or similar.
I havent been out that way in awhile,but its a pretty well traveled road,they must have gas at least every 150 miles I would think.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:15 AM   #1915
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 347
Quote:

I have traveled Hwy 50 partway to Colorado a few times. I normally prefer smaller twistier roads but find riding Hwy 50 very relaxing and interesting. It may be a highway but there is limited traffic and the scenery is interesting. Somehow I also seem to encounter thunderstorms about half the time I have been on this road.

I stay on 50 to just past Ely and then head south on Hwy 93. They call 50 the loneliest road but 93 has it beat in spades for open spaces without signs of civilization or other traffic. Never had any problem getting fuel along the route. I take 93 to Panaca and then head east into Utah and stay on smaller roads into Colorado.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #1916
ChicoProf
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks to both of you - it sounds like I'll be ok as long as I don't bypass any filling stations . I may take I-70 over the Rockies for old times sake. I've got a couple weeks to figure this out. This is helpful.
Brian
Old 06-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #1917
nurserobbi
AKA Mrs.MuddyUdders

Oddometer: 9
Been lurking for a while...

Quote:
BMW F700GS; somewhat limited off-road (not planning to jump any logs...), but it will be so much nicer for long haul rides. We are keeping the Sherpa for now as well.
Congrats on the awesome new bike! I've been checking out this thread for a while as well as the G650GS thread. Saw that you were thinking of buying a new BMW. I bought my G650 from Ozzie's back in January and LOVE IT!! It is a little vibey tho', I'm betting the F700 is a bit smoother. Anyway, have fun on your big trip and hello to everyone else on this thread whose posts I have been reading for the past few months!
nurserobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #1918
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserobbi View Post
Congrats on the awesome new bike! I've been checking out this thread for a while as well as the G650GS thread. Saw that you were thinking of buying a new BMW. I bought my G650 from Ozzie's back in January and LOVE IT!! It is a little vibey tho', I'm betting the F700 is a bit smoother. Anyway, have fun on your big trip and hello to everyone else on this thread whose posts I have been reading for the past few months!
Welcome, nurserobbi. What 650 did you get. and what part of Jefferson are you in ?
Nice to hear someone else has a bike as heavy as mine.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:25 PM   #1919
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

what do you ride ?

Don't limit yourself.

I had to wait awhile for my return ride. I find myself in this spot often.
Lovely outing.

Much cooler weather in Oregon. Now its time for the skinny bike and the Granite up at Eagle lakes exit off I-80. I am Organizing the Hardrock Trial on the 28th.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #1920
nurserobbi
AKA Mrs.MuddyUdders

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
Welcome, nurserobbi. What 650 did you get. and what part of Jefferson are you in ?
Nice to hear someone else has a bike as heavy as mine.
I have a BMW G650GS, I love it even though it is the biggest and HEAVIEST bike I've ever had! It actually did not seem all that heavy sitting in the showroom when I bought it, somehow it seems to be getting heavier every day as I back it out of my garage onto the gravel driveway! But oh well, it's worth a small bit of early morning struggle to enjoy a good ride to work every day.
Oh, and to answer your question, I'm in the way out boonies west of Cottonwood.
nurserobbi is offline   Reply With Quote