ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #2011
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
ride

What does Hookalatch ride anyways?

He rides a motorcycle. It has 3 letters.
It doesn't need a valve adjustment just getting to the coast.
Need more clues.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #2012
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
What does Hookalatch ride anyways?

He rides a motorcycle. It has 3 letters.
It doesn't need a valve adjustment just getting to the coast.
Need more clues.
That's all fine and dandy,I could dust off the old 525 and set it up for that. set up timed runs for right after they grade the road,find some certifiable judges who arent drinking heavy that day.
It only makes sense.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:07 PM   #2013
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
What does Hookalatch ride anyways? Im thinking timed runs from Covelo to where the pavement starts up on the way back towards the valley could prove the speediest of the crew on this thread.

I usually camp out at the Reno Air Races but might have to stop by the Sagebrush ballywho on the way home,fun back road from 395 to Taylorsville.
That road out of Covelo would certainly test one's skills if done at high speed. Haven't had a bike thru there for a while. I have found driving a pickup that it takes about the same time to go from 101 west of Covelo to I5 using that road as it does going down to 20 and back up I5 and there is only about 30 miles of dirt on the Covelo route.

I took a road from Beckwourth to Taylorsville in my truck once that used shale for some of the roadbase. Got 3 flat tires in my truck and had to get towed to Crescent Mills and stay the night at their hotel. A very interesting night which included being inducted into their Assholes Club.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #2014
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Three letters

You better tell him what you ride Chuck.

I told him you rode a motorcycle, and it had 3 letters.
Now he's out dusting off the wrong bike.

No, There are more bikes in the world then just the Orange three letter special.

Now if we hold this contest, I have only two requirements.

1 that it be an open class, I can race any bike that I want.
2 The prize must be, Laia

I must also be able to see how well the road has been graded as to select the right bike and set up.

If your fine with that I am in at any cost.

And just in case you are wondering Laia is just getting over some tough sickness and that is why she looks a little skinny right now. I expect her to be back up to speed and in shape when I receive my Prize.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #2015
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
You better tell him what you ride Chuck.

I told him you rode a motorcycle, and it had 3 letters.
Now he's out dusting off the wrong bike.

No, There are more bikes in the world then just the Orange three letter special.

Now if we hold this contest, I have only two requirements.

1 that it be an open class, I can race any bike that I want.
2 The prize must be, Laia

I must also be able to see how well the road has been graded as to select the right bike and set up.

If your fine with that I am in at any cost.

And just in case you are wondering Laia is just getting over some tough sickness and that is why she looks a little skinny right now. I expect her to be back up to speed and in shape when I receive my Prize.
I dont think Chuck has an AJS,so he must have an ATK,or god forbid a WRR.
Im not allowed to discuss WRR's much here due to other contractual commitments.

But I would stand by the 525,it will go faster on that road then I can go,and that's all a guy needs. Might ruin a back tire in one pass but that's ok. My 300 would go like stink as well,it would be the backup bike.

Laia not really being a property to be handed about like used Chiclets might throw a clinker into the prize party,and then a 650GS would have to be towed to generate any actual speed,pity.

(most of us arent actively stalking Laia,so have no idea what she looks like currently)

Foot dragger screwed with this post 07-23-2014 at 06:00 PM
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:57 PM   #2016
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
That road out of Covelo would certainly test one's skills if done at high speed. Haven't had a bike thru there for a while. I have found driving a pickup that it takes about the same time to go from 101 west of Covelo to I5 using that road as it does going down to 20 and back up I5 and there is only about 30 miles of dirt on the Covelo route.

I took a road from Beckwourth to Taylorsville in my truck once that used shale for some of the roadbase. Got 3 flat tires in my truck and had to get towed to Crescent Mills and stay the night at their hotel. A very interesting night which included being inducted into their Assholes Club.

Chuck
95mph is well within reason on the road from Covelo,on a bike anyways,freshly graded its 1 long TT track. The trick would be to not bury the bike into the radiator/grill of an oncoming full size Chevy Diesel.
So an inside line would be the thing.

ADV should have an Asshole club proper,so many un-afilliated wanderers that need some place to go.

Brad
Old 07-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #2017
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

interest

You must be real old.

(most of us arent actively stalking Laia,so have no idea what she looks like currently)

I actively "stalk" lots of top riders both male and female. Laia happens to ride more disciplines that I am interested in. I watch her ride and she is so dominate. Top U.S. riders , like my friend Louise F. kick ass, and then Laia comes over and just dominates. Same as Cody or Colten kick ass here in the U.S. when they go over seas things get tougher. I keep track of people like Ben Hemingway and other top riders in several disciplines. Graham Jarvis, Gary Macdonald. it is great to watch the way they train.

So , if that's Stalking, I am guilty. I thought it was the internet.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #2018
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

proof

Quote:
You must be real old.

I actively "stalk" lots of top riders both male and female. Laia happens to ride more disciplines that I am interested in. I watch her ride and she is so dominate. Top U.S. riders , like my friend Louise F. kick ass, and then Laia comes over and just dominates. Same as Cody or Colten kick ass here in the U.S. when they go over seas things get tougher. I keep track of people like Ben Hemingway and other top riders in several disciplines. Graham Jarvis, Gary Macdonald. it is great to watch the way they train.

So , if that's Stalking, I am guilty. I thought it was the internet.

Here is her response to my suggestion.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #2019
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
I'll throw my hat in the ring - already made a few trips to Covelo this year - 80 miles from my doorstep 2.5 hours without trying too hard - on the DRZ which had a top speed of 60 with the dirt tires. The 690 should do much better.

I'd put my money on Chuck though - guy has the "eye of the tiger" when he's on his Europe produced beast! I've seen him pass 5 bikes in one twist of the throttle.
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:32 AM   #2020
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobus View Post
I'd put my money on Chuck though - guy has the "eye of the tiger" when he's on his Europe produced beast! I've seen him pass 5 bikes in one twist of the throttle.
This is starting to sound like a fish story. Calling them bikes is an exaggeration. It was actually a group of Shriners on scooters.

Chuck
Old 07-24-2014, 08:28 AM   #2021
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
This is starting to sound like a fish story. Calling them bikes is an exaggeration. It was actually a group of Shriners on scooters.

Chuck
Hop-Singe has led us to believe you have held National numbers in many disciplines,sponsored by Indian back in the day,etc.

So fast time should be a fore-gone conclusion for what ever bike you ride,nonetheless the Cudgels could be taken up for the sake of sport if nothing else. Maybe running from the Valley side to Covelo would work,then we could hit the Deli in the supermarket for sammiches.

(Shriners can be Hell on wheels once the rum and cokes kick in)
Old 07-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #2022
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobus View Post
I'll throw my hat in the ring - already made a few trips to Covelo this year - 80 miles from my doorstep 2.5 hours without trying too hard - on the DRZ which had a top speed of 60 with the dirt tires. The 690 should do much better.

I could drag one of these old beasts out and ride it I suppose,spent way too much time doing this in ancient times.

Believe it or not this pic is from the 1 time we raced at the Gridley fairground track,my Bultaco's rear brakes had broke,so this was the only way to slow it down.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #2023
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Group ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Hop-Singe has led us to believe you have held National numbers in many disciplines,sponsored by Indian back in the day,etc.

So fast time should be a fore-gone conclusion for what ever bike you ride,nonetheless the Cudgels could be taken up for the sake of sport if nothing else. Maybe running from the Valley side to Covelo would work,then we could hit the Deli in the supermarket for sammiches.

(Shriners can be Hell on wheels once the rum and cokes kick in)
I am not too interested in a race but a ride to Covelo and back sounds like fun. Anyone interested? On another note, my boy sent a video link that helps me understand why Brad is so happy with his 2 smoker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xfpU0yIpG4

Chuck
Old 07-25-2014, 12:12 PM   #2024
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 650
Good video, a light bike makes a HUGE difference...my bike only weighs about 350lbs
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:43 PM   #2025
Austin3184
SUMO 4 LYFE

Oddometer: 3
Chico CA Dual sport ride

Who wants to go on a ride out of to chico up 32 and find some trails or something? I have a drz 400s. Lemme know if anyone wants to go riding sometime.
Austin3184 is offline   Reply With Quote