ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2014, 05:18 PM   #2071
ChicoProf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
Try to make it ChicoProf
That would make it a BMW Ride, the "scout" from Quincy is on one also.
7 to early ?
I plan to be there if I can find it (my phone will guide me to the Home Depot, and I'll figure it out from there). My son had his wisdom teeth removed today; I'll post here by tonight if he has any issues that will require me to be at home in addition to my wife. Otherwise, I'll see you at 7am!
ChicoProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:23 PM   #2072
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
So lets add some hardener.
7 AM, at the gas station just North of Home depot. {maybe Tops Mini Mart} 3/4 of a mile North of hwy 36. Hit dirt within 6 miles and stay on it out to at least platina. only one other rider coming from Quincy and we have no firm plans other than riding. group senesce, and or I may separate and loop back riding either ditch grade or Wildwood or, or, So making a day ride out of it would work for anyone. I have not even decided if I am taking coast weather gear. but shooting for the coast may be a nice option.
If I get the plug to take in my tire I will try to join you. Apparently there isn't any repair shop that will patch a tubeless tire anymore. I am up early and live close but would be pressed to be there before 7:30. You are talking the Arco station right? If you can delay until 7:30 post it up.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #2073
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
If I get the plug to take in my tire I will try to join you. Apparently there isn't any repair shop that will patch a tubeless tire anymore. I am up early and live close but would be pressed to be there before 7:30. You are talking the Arco station right? If you can delay until 7:30 post it up.

Chuck
I told a guy I would meet him at 7, he is camping tonight up by Mineral.
So I think Leaving around 7;30 would be about right. And delaying much would not be a big issue, and also if you wanted you could meet us. we are going to hit dirt going out McCoy, Matalock and pop out on 36 just a mile or so North of Cannon. So meeting us there from your place might save you some time. I don't use a phone but 526-8237 is my # I will try to find it and turn it on in the morning. it would be nice to have you along.
Sorry I live so close and don't know the name of the gas station.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:02 AM   #2074
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Have fun up there at Chappie,I live close to there and often buzz up and clear my head out,great quick get away,rode around up behind Whiskey Town this morning it was good except the gates on Bally were closed.
Closed for fire safety?

I admire you guys who can do the early morning thing, sounds like that would be fun.
KyoXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:59 AM   #2075
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Quote:
I told a guy I would meet him at 7, he is camping tonight up by Mineral.
So I think Leaving around 7;30 would be about right. And delaying much would not be a big issue, and also if you wanted you could meet us. we are going to hit dirt going out McCoy, Matalock and pop out on 36 just a mile or so North of Cannon. So meeting us there from your place might save you some time. I don't use a phone but 526-8237 is my # I will try to find it and turn it on in the morning. it would be nice to have you along.
Sorry I live so close and don't know the name of the gas station.
Tire is holding air so I will see you guys as close to 7 as I can make it, but it will be a little after.

Chuck
Old 08-02-2014, 06:34 AM   #2076
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Nice

Quote:
Tire is holding air so I will see you guys as close to 7 as I can make it, but it will be a little after.

Chuck
See you at the Gas station.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:50 AM   #2077
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,782
Quote:

Chuck
I would be trying to make it up that way,but too many extenuating circumstances. However,much looking forward to any kind of a write up on Hop-Singes mental makeup and why he does what he does.

Best of luck today and stay cool,I doubt it topped 105 yesterday.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #2078
8lives
Oops I fell again

Oddometer: 1,737

Sorry I missed the Hop -Sing ride,but when my wife says let's go camp with on the V Strom its hard to say no,found a new place in Hayfork for snackin on our way back from Grizzly Creek state park over on 36.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:44 PM   #2079
8lives
Oops I fell again

Oddometer: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
Closed for fire safety?

I admire you guys who can do the early morning thing, sounds like that would be fun.
Yes on the fire danger,it's pretty scary in the woods as dry as it is,we went through a fire on 36 just west of Mad River on Saturday it was right up to the road they were doing controlled 1 way traffic and it was out today,but dang it's really dry everywhere.Sometimes I can drag myself out of bed early!
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:34 PM   #2080
ChicoProf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Thumb

The ride turned out to be a BMW rally. James with an F800GS, Joe with his F650 Dakar, Chuck's R1200GS, and my F700GS. This was the dirt christening of my F700, timely as it was just reaching 1,000 miles. We met in Red Bluff around 7:15am, and followed Joe into the dirt, eventually dropping onto highway 36 near Platina. I turned back after a short stop at the Platina store, and ended up with around 215 miles for the day, around 60 of them on the dirt. Joe and James were heading on to the coast to camp, and I think Chuck was going to lead them most of the way there.

ChicoProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:06 PM   #2081
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Aug 2 2014

Got to ride today with some fellow ADV riders.
I must say I am pleased to meet The ChicoProf, He said he was going to come and he did. Huge in my book. He shows up on a new BMW ready to take it out a string of dirt roads. Nice, use that bike for what it was made for. From Chico, a street ride, followed by mountains of dirt roads.
Also meeting the outBackscout was cool because he to did exactly what he told me he was going to do also.
Hookalatch is dependable so our morning meet went well with 4 of us ready to ride.
We spent the morning riding dirt roads out of town and up the hill.
We where all on BMW's 650,700,800,1200. with that in mind we kept up a good pace for several hours. we stopped here at Rat trap gap and had an "Office meeting"

We Decided to drop back off the hill and stop into Platina. When we did the heat was bad. The ChicoProf took this opportunity to loop back towards home on 36.
The rest of us headed out 36 towards Wildwood, and then cut over to Hayfork. Stopped in Hynpom and had an ice cream. Proceeded up the hill and had another "Office meeting" until we decided which road to take.

This is when the heat played a factor in our decision. Heading over to the coast was the only cool spot other than my air conditioned house. tomorrow was not going to be any cooler and so. I am home.
Routed back through Weaverville on 299

I did not take many pictures as we took short breaks and keep up a strong pace all day. Nice to ride with capable people that are pleasant to be around.

The lonely rider on Wildwood Rd asks with amazement. "You guys must be from around here" locals ? I reply, no we are from Iowa. He is confused, because surely only a local would run up from behind him and pass him like that on this kind of road.
Which brings me to my next point. Hookalatch is a shoe in for any and all awards for any of our planned races. This includes Laia.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:27 PM   #2082
nurserobbi
AKA Mrs.MuddyUdders

Oddometer: 7
jealous..

I'm kind of jealous, looks like you guys had a great ride. I would've fit right in on my G650, except I would've been the slow poke waaaaay in the back, so, no group rides for me 'till I'm a whole lot better and not gonna hold people back! The hubby took me on Muletown Rd a couple weeks ago and my poor bike had it's first drop :-( (happy it was on dirt). Good thing I wasn't alone- Roscoe (the bike) is a bit on the heavy side..
nurserobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:18 AM   #2083
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserobbi View Post
I'm kind of jealous, looks like you guys had a great ride. I would've fit right in on my G650, except I would've been the slow poke waaaaay in the back, so, no group rides for me 'till I'm a whole lot better and not gonna hold people back! The hubby took me on Muletown Rd a couple weeks ago and my poor bike had it's first drop :-( (happy it was on dirt). Good thing I wasn't alone- Roscoe (the bike) is a bit on the heavy side..
Muletown road is orders of magnitude harder than anything we rode on all day. Most of the group on our ride had never met before. On any of these impromptu get-togethers everyone rides at their own pace. We all rode close to the same speed in this case but I doubt that anyone minds waiting- there is plenty to bullshit about between stops. Don't hesitate to suggest a ride or join up with a proposed ride.

Chuck
Old 08-04-2014, 09:28 AM   #2084
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Quote:

Chuck
Is quoting yourself like talking to yourself? Hop-Sing influence? I had never plugged a motorcycle tire before so I thought I would report. 270 miles of brutal punishment- it took a lickin' but the plug is still stickin'!

It was great fun to ride with this group of standup guys. However, being old and lazy I sat most of the day and my ass got chapped. Several hours in 100+ heat probably contributed. Lets do it again!

Chuck
Old 08-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #2085
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,782
Quote:
Is quoting yourself like talking to yourself? Hop-Sing influence? I had never plugged a motorcycle tire before so I thought I would report. 270 miles of brutal punishment- it took a lickin' but the plug is still stickin'!

It was great fun to ride with this group of standup guys. However, being old and lazy I sat most of the day and my ass got chapped. Several hours in 100+ heat probably contributed. Lets do it again!

Chuck
Can some of these standup guys still "stand up"? Feet on the pegs negotiating fearsome downhills like they were born to it? Eye of the tiger and what not.

270 miles in that heat is no joking matter. Wed my left knee gets arthroscoped,but I should be up and around soon after. I'll be looking to get the DR out. I can stick a blue/white roundel on it if it would help.