ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #2086
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoProf View Post
I plan to be there if I can find it (my phone will guide me to the Home Depot, and I'll figure it out from there). My son had his wisdom teeth removed today; I'll post here by tonight if he has any issues that will require me to be at home in addition to my wife. Otherwise, I'll see you at 7am!
Sounds like you guys had a great day, I got to stay home and work on the ranch.

Sooo, did you have enough time to make a mental assessment on the NorCal Coo Coo's?
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:24 AM   #2087
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoProf View Post
The ride turned out to be a BMW rally. James with an F800GS, Joe with his F650 Dakar, Chuck's R1200GS, and my F700GS. This was the dirt christening of my F700, timely as it was just reaching 1,000 miles. We met in Red Bluff around 7:15am, and followed Joe into the dirt, eventually dropping onto highway 36 near Platina. I turned back after a short stop at the Platina store, and ended up with around 215 miles for the day, around 60 of them on the dirt. Joe and James were heading on to the coast to camp, and I think Chuck was going to lead them most of the way there.

Rode all day and no final drive issues? I guess only one had the shaft drive but still............

A coastal camping trip will need to be set up soon.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:19 AM   #2088
8lives
Oops I fell again

Oddometer: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Rode all day and no final drive issues? I guess only one had the shaft drive but still............

A coastal camping trip will need to be set up soon.
Oh man don't bring final drive issues up,then we gotta hear all the big shaft guys tell us what a pain a chain is,but that was a good observation on your part,I better go out and drool some final drive oil on my chain.
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:37 AM   #2089
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post

Sorry I missed the Hop -Sing ride,but when my wife says let's go camp with on the V Strom its hard to say no,found a new place in Hayfork for snackin on our way back from Grizzly Creek state park over on 36.
Ive done Bob's Wildwood ride where we catch a dirt/gravel road not too far from Grizzly creek and then mostly Dirt road to Wildwood,Ive got it imprinted on my harddrive after riding it 4 or 5 times.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:17 PM   #2090
8lives
Oops I fell again

We just stayed on the pavement that trip,quick over night camp out,hope to do some FS RD 1 soon as my wife hasn't been all the way across yet,we are just working our way back from a long week wandering aimlessly on Vancouver Island,if you've never been up there it's a great place for a motorcycle,lotsa dirt roads Whales and Bears.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:11 PM   #2091
ChicoProf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Talking Short ride

I'd planned on taking a solo road ride this morning, maybe up to Chester. My 14-y.o. daughter heard me mention it last night and asked to come along. I'll never pass up on the chance to ride two up with her! Her schedule demanded a shorter ride though, so we just rode from Chico to Paradise via Neal Road. Shared a cinnamon roll at Coffee's On, and back via Skyway for a whopping 40 mile trip . Still, here's a pic at the overlook off Skyway:

If anyone out there is interested in abbreviated kid-inclusive rides, let me know. They are fun in their own way.
ChicoProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:38 AM   #2092
8lives
Oops I fell again

Anytime you get to share life with your kids is great,and when they ask if they can come along that's really nice,glad you got some Daddy Daughter time.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:44 PM   #2093
Klrcharlie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Back on a Dualsport

In June I sold my KLR and got a VTX I started to miss my dualsport by July I just sold the VTX and got a 2007 KLR last week ready to get back to the mountains I really missed the dirt and cool mountain air. I will be ready in a few weeks to hit some trails.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #2094
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Daughter's

My daughter's grew up on the back of my bikes. Real good memories.
My youngest has been on more back roads and always tells me about places she has been. I forget she has put on as many miles has she has.

This past weekend She made me super proud. She won her class up at the Boreal Trial. Having taken the past 2 years basically off due to a baby. She was in a fairly large class and was riding against the guys as well. They were following her trying to watch her lines.
Beside riding she stepped up and helped at the sign up table before running over and getting her riding gear on.

My son would have not been caught dead on the back of my motorcycle.
He's anything with wheels, but not on the back.

When my oldest Daughter got big enough that she wouldn't fit inside my jacket the cops stopped me and told me she couldn't ride in front. Law says behind, footpegs, helmet. I then used a belt as I could not see if they have fallen asleep. Today my Grandson rides in front and I will pay the ticket and tell the cop both him and the law are ignorant. using the belt and the fact that my tank is big enough to slow his inertia. After the child is big enough to stay awake and hold on, being behind IS then safer. the belt is for under about 3 or 4 depending on the kids awareness. CPS may have different ideas, but then they probably wouldn't appreciate that my kids could hit a tin can at 50 feet with a pistol by the time they entered Kindergarten either.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:33 AM   #2095
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Bike choice

ChicoProf... Those kind of rides = a good Bike choice.
Starting with safety. then work backwards, I haven't found the end.

Also those kinds of rides are like putting money in the bank.
With your Daughter, but more importantly with the wife.
Coming home safe with that precious cargo will loosen the reins for longer personal rides.

And you all think I am crazy, yea, like a Fox.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #2096
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrcharlie View Post
In June I sold my KLR and got a VTX I started to miss my dualsport by July I just sold the VTX and got a 2007 KLR last week ready to get back to the mountains I really missed the dirt and cool mountain air. I will be ready in a few weeks to hit some trails.
Welcome back to the dual sport! we should have figured you were coming back seeing how you hadn't changed your name to Vtxcharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
My daughter's grew up on the back of my bikes. Real good memories.

After the child is big enough to stay awake and hold on, being behind IS then safer. the belt is for under about 3 or 4 depending on the kids awareness. CPS may have different ideas, but then they probably wouldn't appreciate that my kids could hit a tin can at 50 feet with a pistol by the time they entered Kindergarten either.
This reminds me of a neighbor kid who fell off the back of his dads motorcycle taking off from a stop sign because he fell asleep...my dad was never into motorcycles but he did body work for tens of years and never taught me one lick about it which was too bad because I bet I would have been good at it and it would have been a extra ability to fall back on if I ever needed to.
plus when the GF backs into something I might have been able to fix it.
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #2097
8lives
Oops I fell again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrcharlie View Post
That's why 2 bikes are nice to have,My KLR is gone now but the Strom does a good job and the XT gets me up a little farther in the bush,was hoping for plated KTM but for now I got what works,great to have you back.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #2098
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 320
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
My daughter's grew up on the back of my bikes. Real good memories. CPS may have different ideas, but then they probably wouldn't appreciate that my kids could hit a tin can at 50 feet with a pistol by the time they entered Kindergarten either.
That is impressive Hop. I don't think I could even throw a pistol that far let alone hit a tin can with it.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #2099
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Hi Guys please help out on this in any way you can. Thanks Bob
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002903
Old 08-18-2014, 09:05 PM   #2100
8lives
Oops I fell again

UHG,we need to help,they're always trying to cut us off!Thanks for the heads up Bob