ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #436
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,774
Hey Bob...

The pic of the bridge that we crossed is the bridge over Butte Creek, we didn't cross Deer Creek on this day.
Below is Bob on the Tiger negociating his way around a puddle.http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/...-21-01_546.jpg
Old 02-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #437
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,774
Veiw of Mount Lassen in the distance..

from Skyway above Inskip where we turned around due to Ice.
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/...-32-44_848.jpg
Old 02-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #438
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #439
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
An OLDER explorer

Been exploring the dirt around here for years. I think it started in the 80's on my Honda 110, moved to an XR250 and found a nice middle ground with a Yamaha TW200. What I haven't explored with a motor, I have done on a bike. To date, all of my adventures have been solo, but at 63 it seems to make even more sense to partner up. Travel slow to hear and see what going on around me. When the gates are not locked the options from Paradise are almost limitless.

nice spot off of Jordan Hill rd. (Paradise). The gate 1/4 mile ahead is now posted "No motorized vehicles".

Make alot of noise and this guy would not likely not have stayed on the trail as I rode up. Jordan Hill on the back side where you ford the stream. (before the fire)

Back road heading to Bald Mt. look-out. Still a bit early in the season. Seemed like a good idea to turn around.

We all know by now that pictures don't really show what you have to deal with. I'll call this the Hogs Back highway. Would not want to have done this on my Honda 110.

That Hogs Back ride started out cool. By the time I got here it was a bizzilion degrees. If you ride Ishi country, I suggest you have lots of water.

Here is a section of 'road' that I got on while looking for a route from the High Lakes area over to Snag Lake. Fall here and it would likely be a broken wrist. Guess is why I travel with a Spot transmitter and a couple of Vicadin.

On my merry way to Rag Dump (Concow rd.) Didn't get much further.

A nice little side road off the Skyway (just short of Inskip). Stopped and said hi to the pioneers that preceeded me.

Likely not going back here. This is as far as I wanted to venture alone. The old Rubicon Trail. To think, this is the way the model 'A's used to get to Tahoe.

Colby Mt. lookout ( I think) Short of Humbolt/Humbug intersection (Butte Meadows area).

Nice swimming hole some where between Soda Springs and Soldier Meadows heading up towards Humbolt summit.

Heading down to Hwy 70 to hit Four Trees rd. Was able to take V-line off of Jordan Hill to Concow rd. before the "No motor vehicles" posting on the gate of V-line

You would likely miss this at any speed over 10mph. Logging road just below Granite Ridge off Concow rd.

When the going gets 'tuff'.......... front and rear.

Chains help keep me verticle when things get real mucky. No chains here, just not paying attention to what was ahead (branch).

mrgizmow's rig Yamaha TW200 + 'life-support'.

If you think you've got what it takes to be a "Trail Snail" () Drop me an e-mail. Take care
Take care, Gerry.

mrgizmow screwed with this post 02-10-2012 at 10:43 PM
mrgizmow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:13 AM   #440
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 650
Those are some nice photos, I would like to pick your brain about where to ride around this area, unfortunately for me to just get up to Paradise is about 45+miles, so that's already 90+ miles round trip before any of the exploring gets started!
so I would have to be pretty motivated.
I also made the mistake of going through Hogs Back in the summer...never again...
so back to the brain pickin',
can you think of any good spots to hit more around the Red Bluff area?
everywhere I go to ride is usually due west (Colyer springs rd) or due east (Ponderosa way) and sometimes north east (Manton to Grace and Nora lake) ,
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #441
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
How long have you lived in the area? In general, I would say you should have access to many potential off pavement adventures. I have only done a couple of rides in the Mendecino National forest. On the forest service map, trails and dirt roads are numerous. This time of year, like me, you are limited by snow and muck. I would be inclined to explore off Hwy 36 to the West. As well, you might head out to Paskenta, head West towards Covelo and explore all that is in between.

There is alot more to Hogs Back than the heat. The area is great in the Spring and early Summer. Instead of 'drifting' South towards Cohasset (heat), catch the Lassen trail and come out around hwy 32/36 intersection (cooler). In any event, all that I allude to will make for a looong day.

Sorry I could not provide any specifics. My memory is marginal and generally stimulated by visual triggers. Due to weather conditions around here, I am giving serious thought to trailering to the area around Indian Valley reservoir and do some exploring. Seems low enough not to be impacted by snow, and 'dry' enough not to be too mucky. Take care, Gerry
mrgizmow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #442
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
So I rode from Paskenta to Red Bluff on Lowrey Road today and then turned onto another dirt road that came out at the West end of Walnut. Very nice ride today, was not wet and was not dusty. Came back on Rawson Road back to Corning, total of about 80 miles. About 3/5 of the ride up Lowrey was dirt road and the rest was nice untraveled curvey two lane road which was perfectly suited for my DRZ with Supermoto wheels.

You can ride all the way from Red Bluff to Willows and beyond on very nice dirt roads and two or single lane asphalt that for the most part is well maintained. I might come across one or two other cars each time I ride and it really is beautiful country. This summer my friend and I are going across to Covelo via Paskenta. I spent a lot of time out in the woods West of Paskenta in my youth and there are some wonderful spots to ride to, i.e. lookouts, creeks etc.

I've also hit everything on the east side of the valley from Chico to Red Bluff and there is not much off pavement other than a short bit from around the Lassen Steak House to LosMolinos. I've yet to go up Hogsback but plan on hitting that up this spring/summer.

Maybe we should all meet for dinner one night at some Pizza place in Red Bluff and exchange trip info. stories over a pitcher of beer?

Matt
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #443
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,761
So you catch a dirt road from around the Lassen Steak house to Los Molinos? I wonder which dirt road that would be?

I was out on Hull road (road 313) out on the West side not far from Elk Creek,we rode up 313 till we got to another dirt road that headed down to Paskenta and Newville road,very scenic ride,313 is a nice smooth fireroad,fun for sliding around on and there are some offshoot dirt roads and trails off of it.

We also rode a switchback trail out of Tobin on hiway 70 last monday,about 3/4 mile above Tobin we took a short paved road,then caught a rocky road heading up and up and up to the top of feather river canyon,32 switchbacks sharp and steep enough to make me stop in the middle of some of them just to make it around,we headed down Tobin ridge road (dirt) at the top but were turned back after an hour and a half fight with snow and ice.
If a person went off the side of this uphill switchback particular road it wouldnt be pretty. The cars on hiway 70 looked like dots from the top of the switchback trail.

Foot dragger screwed with this post 02-12-2012 at 06:52 AM
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:49 AM   #444
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmow View Post
How long have you lived in the area? In general, I would say you should have access to many potential off pavement adventures. I have only done a couple of rides in the Mendecino National forest. On the forest service map, trails and dirt roads are numerous. This time of year, like me, you are limited by snow and muck. I would be inclined to explore off Hwy 36 to the West. As well, you might head out to Paskenta, head West towards Covelo and explore all that is in between.

There is alot more to Hogs Back than the heat. The area is great in the Spring and early Summer. Instead of 'drifting' South towards Cohasset (heat), catch the Lassen trail and come out around hwy 32/36 intersection (cooler). In any event, all that I allude to will make for a looong day.

Sorry I could not provide any specifics. My memory is marginal and generally stimulated by visual triggers. Due to weather conditions around here, I am giving serious thought to trailering to the area around Indian Valley reservoir and do some exploring. Seems low enough not to be impacted by snow, and 'dry' enough not to be too mucky. Take care, Gerry
I have been living in this area for eerrrrr...about 40+ years but haven't been dual sporting or much off pavement driving/riding for most of those years,
I have driven through to Paskenta in the past via dirt roads and not sure about Covelo without checking the map? I gone through Reeds creek road to Vestal to 36, through Canyon rd,through Lowery, up to Ball Rock through Colyer Springs and Raglin ridge,
I'll look into the Lassen trail to see how involved that is,
I have been trying to find close riding areas by studying Google earth (quite handy), it has helped me to find new areas to explore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobus View Post
I've yet to go up Hogsback but plan on hitting that up this spring/summer.

Matt
just don't wait until it gets too hot...the rough bit of the road is some slow going...
Old 02-14-2012, 12:54 AM   #445
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post

I was out on Hull road (road 313) out on the West side not far from Elk Creek,we rode up 313 till we got to another dirt road that headed down to Paskenta and Newville road,very scenic ride,313 is a nice smooth fireroad,fun for sliding around on and there are some offshoot dirt roads and trails off of it.

We also rode a switchback trail out of Tobin on hiway 70 last monday,about 3/4 mile above Tobin we took a short paved road,then caught a rocky road heading up and up and up to the top of feather river canyon,32 switchbacks sharp and steep enough to make me stop in the middle of some of them just to make it around,we headed down Tobin ridge road (dirt) at the top but were turned back after an hour and a half fight with snow and ice.
If a person went off the side of this uphill switchback particular road it wouldnt be pretty. The cars on hiway 70 looked like dots from the top of the switchback trail.
I'm going to look those areas up on Google earth as well to see how far away they are, sounds like a nice ride.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #446
ragdump
ragdump

Oddometer: 3
Hey Brad me and Barry did a duelsport ride but we tried going up the Rock Creek switch backs first you think the Tobin SB had rocks go look at the Rock Creek there 2 ft. deep I made it up about 1/2 a mile on my Suzuki and gave up that's when we rode further to the Tobin SB's they were a piece of cake compared to the other's we went down the other side cross Rock Creek and back to Ragdump
ragdump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #447
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdump View Post
Hey Brad me and Barry did a duelsport ride but we tried going up the Rock Creek switch backs first you think the Tobin SB had rocks go look at the Rock Creek there 2 ft. deep I made it up about 1/2 a mile on my Suzuki and gave up that's when we rode further to the Tobin SB's they were a piece of cake compared to the other's we went down the other side cross Rock Creek and back to Ragdump
Last time I rode the Rock Creek switchbacks musta been 10 years ago,at least. They were no big deal then and I was wondering what they were like now. Sounds like we need a group of guys to come out and move rocks around at the least.
Tobin switchbacks arent tricky but I was having a wobbly day on the bike at that point,the snow was just a little too deep and icey to get through Tobin Ridge road. We drug and pushed bikes for 45 minutes at one point to get up an icey hill with frozen dirt underneath. My DRZe is a little (lot) heavy for that sort of thing.
Your 200 works pretty well on tight stuff I bet,nice to be able to reach the ground, Ive still got that ft tire for it sitting here.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #448
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
I haven' been up from Rock Creek for several years either, used to be one of my favorites to take the kids on. Still must be to much snow up high with more on the way. I think Brad knows a kid that's real good at lifting bikes, boulders, trees etc. Maybe we could tag along next time you guys head up that way.
Rockgarden Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #449
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgarden Bob View Post
I haven' been up from Rock Creek for several years either, used to be one of my favorites to take the kids on. Still must be to much snow up high with more on the way. I think Brad knows a kid that's real good at lifting bikes, boulders, trees etc. Maybe we could tag along next time you guys head up that way.
Yeah,it would be good to get a work crew of some sort and clear out the R.C. switchback trail,it would be a good section of a dualsport ride. I did see Doug lifting a 200 lb rock the other day while we were waiting for your group to get back to hiway 70, Kids were picking up boulders and throwing em over the edge of the road.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #450
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Hey Brad, have you seen the "Roost Stops Here" headlight shields in either the DR 650 or DRZ 400 threads? I know they look pretty good on your bikes.
Rockgarden Bob is offline   Reply With Quote