ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #526
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 347
Fire Roads

Hopefully these roads won't live up to their name and the current fires stop short of this area.
Right now they seem to be headed that way.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #527
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Was thinking of making a trip to Black Rock Campground on Mill Creek early Sunday morning via the Hogsback Hell road. Planning an overnight stay for this month to the Ishi area and would like to do a "scouting trip". Would it be just about the same time to follow the whole route to Cohasset, or quicker to turn back around a go back out Hogsback? Yes, I'll be carrying plenty of water! Hope to be back home before it gets really hot...

Is it about 2 hours from RedBluff to Mill Creek?

BTW I'm coming over from Corning, so the distance to the start/end of the loop is about the same.
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #528
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
[SIZE="4"]Black rock is a neat area. I have done 'your' loop twice, and have been down to Black Rock a number of times. Use care, as these kinds of roads change often and in my opinion, the best that folks can offer are "opinions". The exception to this would be if you were lucky enough to connect with someone that rode those routes yesterday and was articulate enough to describe what you would be facing, IN DETAIL.....

I will try to present what is likely to be most agreed upon, first. Pavement is faster that dirt. Corning to 99 then North to Hogsback or South to Keefer seems to be almost a tie... Hogs back to Ponderosa Way (turn-off to Black Rock) I have found to be very rough (Yamaha TW-200). Cohasset (end of pavement) can certainly offer up 'some rough' to Black Rock, but my 'memory' suggests it is less than what you would experience if you were coming in from the Hogs Back side. If I were you, and YOU were riding my bike, I would come and go, via the same route, unless I was looking for 'more adventure'. This is to say, I would do Corning, hwy 99 south to Keefer rd., left on Cohasset rd and up the hill to Black Rock and back to Corning using the reverse. This is my OPINION, and you damn well bring lots of water... In any event, have fun and take some pictures for the rest of us......... Gerry /SIZE]
mrgizmow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #529
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Hogs back road

Well I live 1 mile from hogs back road. Don't know what your riding but Hogs back road Sucks. In the winter not so bad, but right now it may cost you a set of chain and sprockets. The "loop you all are talking about would be much nicer if you where to take 36 from red Bluff the 18 miles east to Paynes Creek and follow out Plum Creek road and it will bring you in at the end of Hogs back road. your back and you bike will thank you. From this point the roads are much better. If I lived in Corning I would defiantly make a loop out of it.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #530
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

[SIZE="4"]Hop-Sing, I agree that going in at Paynes Creek would be much better than dealing with the lava cap of Hogs Back off 99. My thought still is going in and out from the Cohasset side would be faster, and smoother as a result of fewer off-road miles. Gerry [SIZE]

a good section of Hogs Back...

a good day at Black Rock....

just hope you don't need to deal with a flat tire on this section when it is 98+ degrees.. If I recall, you will miss this if you go in from Cohasset.........
Old 08-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #531
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
Wicked HogsBack Rd....

On my bucket list for this fall.
All the way to Hwy 36 then home.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #532
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the advice! It's just a day trip so I'll listen to the "been there's" and ride in and out of Cohasset, unless we make good time and can get to 36 before noon. Hope to leave early in the morning, and we are going on Saturday now.
Friend is now planning on coming along, so there will be someone to tow me out if my $500 craigslist, ebay used parts DRZ craps out on me. Taking my tent along just incase.

Weather report sez it will only be 95! Is there any good spots to stop for a swim on the way, or are all the good spots already reserved by the rattlesnakes?
We are not pressed for time, I just don't want to be riding out in the scrub brush much past noon.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #533
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Coming in from Cohasset, if I recall correctly will offer you one dip in a creek before Black Rock. Coming in from 36 has a small concreted water crossing that can be used to 'soak your head' I believe there is a bridge/creek on that end as well. What is in between however can be very dry and toasty. The times I have been in those areas, I have never come across a Rattle Snake. Certainly looks to offer them lots of great places to hang out, so remain vigilant. Take care, stay safe and enjoy.... Gerry
Old 08-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #534
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

This I think will be the first bridge coming in from the Cohasset side. You will be heading opposite direction as I was coming from Hogs Back to Cohasset.

Should you come in on the Paynes Creek side you would first ride thru this stream

Then you come to this bridge over another nice creek. Might even happen upon someone to take your picture.

Some great views as well...... Gerry

Not sure how you will be impacted by the smoke. For me, the smoke would make it a no-go. My lungs can't take that kind of abuse anymore.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #535
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmow View Post
[SIZE="4"]Hop-Sing, I agree that going in at Paynes Creek would be much better than dealing with the lava cap of Hogs Back off 99. My thought still is going in and out from the Cohasset side would be faster, and smoother as a result of fewer off-road miles. Gerry [SIZE]

a good section of Hogs Back...

a good day at Black Rock....

just hope you don't need to deal with a flat tire on this section when it is 98+ degrees.. If I recall, you will miss this if you go in from Cohasset.........
We should put a picture of a bad section of Hogs Back to give some perspective.

I just happen to get a flat tire when it was 98+ degrees right after I first got my motorcycle right at the half way point on Hogs Back, I wasn't set up yet with all the proper equipment so I ended up riding about 60+ miles on a rear flat tire all the way home, I wouldn't recommend it, I am FAR more prepared now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
On my bucket list for this fall.
All the way to Hwy 36 then home.
Good plan to wait until cooler weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmow View Post

Should you come in on the Paynes Creek side you would first ride thru this stream

Then you come to this bridge over another nice creek. Might even happen upon someone to take your picture.

Yep, that looks like Ponderosa way. I was just up that road last weekend, my friend has a cabin in the Boon docks estates.
My motorcycle is 5000 times faster then a centipede!
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #536
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

My friend checking out his bike, his poor drz must have stayed up real late last night, it needed three dirt naps before we got to the bottom of the first canyon! Mine wasn't nearly as tired, but when it's dumb operator forgot to turn the fuel back on after a stop, it got pissed off at me and decided it didn't like to run on air alone and told me it was done. Friend came up next to me, his bike needed another rest, and mine wanted to snuggle up next to his so it took a short break too.

Very smokey near the top of the ridge. Weather wasn't too bad, only got to 90, but the time we turned back (10:30a.m.). I didn't want to get my friend over his head and have to ride his bike out so we turned back early, probably still 1 hour from Black Rock. East side is much more hot and rocky than Paskenta/Elk Creek country. Next time I'm going thru Payne's Creek and will end at Cohasset.... Beer at Scotty's was nice and cold though....
Old 08-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #537
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry my insight did not prove to be of benefit. Cohasset certainly has some rough sections, but then in general it's a ride with plenty of rough all around. Did you make it to the bridge? I will certainly agree with Ishi country being the hottest. I did Eik Creek in September, same month (different year) than Hogs Back/Cohasset. Elk Creek seemed much nicer. I generally ride between Paradise and Almanor staying between hwy 32 and 70. Gerry

mrgizmow screwed with this post 08-04-2012 at 10:21 PM
Old 08-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #538
redog1
KLR650-2009

An awful lot of gates have gone up in this area.

" I generally ride between Paradise and Almanor staying between hwy 32 and 70. Gerry"

It's really a shame.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #539
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Gates

The gates have become something of an issue. The last two years, my riding has really dropped off, not really because of the gates, likely just have so much other stuff that needs to get done. It so far, the gating seems focused between Paradise and Sterling City. A month ago, I was able to ride in from Inskip to Jones Meadows and follow Concow rd. around to Concow lake and take Jordan Hill back over to Coutelink.

Have you found a lot more gates going up off of Humbolt/Humbug roads ? Gerry
Old 08-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #540
redog1
KLR650-2009

Pissed Where to begin....?

"Have you found a lot more gates going up off of Humbolt/Humbug roads ? Gerry "

3 weeks ago I tried to ride Head Dam Rd. All 3 access points to that road was gated, there is a road between Browns Ravine Rd. and Retson Rd. that follows along the West Branch of the Feather River that is gated at both ends, there were 3 other gates that I came accross on various side roads off of Browns Ravine Rd. In March Retson Rd. was gated at Sterling City and on the other end over towards Concow Rd. 2 weeks ago coming accross Lynch Rd towards Concow Rd. it was gated.
No telling what's in the future. Ride while you can.