ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #571
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Edgear, normally the 'route' you have in mind would have potential. Right now however, their seems to be a huge fire in the Butt Lake/Almanor corner then another one around Susanville so study the other posters link well. Perhaps you can get on some dirt off of hwy 20 up around Nevada City and thread your way north and at least avoid the section West of hwy 89/70
You might contact Bob at this location for some ideas. Hope it works out. Take care. Gerry
http://www.ironmandualsport.com/Upcoming_Rides.php
mrgizmow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #572
EdGear
Edventurer

Oddometer: 548
I've been following the fires and that is a great link. Just found another good link
http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/acti...maps&rCode=cgb
You can see satellite imagery to check the smoke.

The "Chips" fire cuts off some nice trails but if you stay on 70 or south (Oroville - Quincy, La Porte, Marysville Rd, 20/49 ) you can go around the ride on 89N. Smoke could be a real problem. SAT images show not much smoke yesterday.

North of the Chips fire and south of 32 looks like Humboldt Rd might be nice.

The Ponderosa fire between 36 and 44 is 100% contained.

There is the Redding fire (100% contained) that has closed a bunch of trails on the north side of Lassen Nat Park. 89 passes to the north.

There is the Rush fire east of 395 north of Susanville, 100% contained but scorched most of the area I was looking into riding.

There is the Bagley fire up by Mt. Shasta still active but I am looking to cross way south. SAT images have lot of smoke headed towards Mt. Shasta yesterday.

Up west of Goose Lake on the OR boarder is the Barry Point fire so Lava Tubes looks like a good point to head towards.

EdGear screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 09:44 AM Reason: New smoke data
EdGear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #573
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Looks like you have been doing your homework. Coming up hwy 70 once you cross the bridge over Lake Oroville, Look to head over to Lake Concow and take Concow Rd. (mostly dirt) over to Lake Philbrook. You can head towards Snag Lake and then intersect Humbug road. Likely Humbug is closed as a service road for equipment to the Chips burn, but suspect to could turn left and take a quick jaunt (4 miles?) to pickup Humbolt road. Since Humbolt allows some access to the Chips burn there is a 'chance' that CDF may have closed that (as well) to minimize any chance of folks getting in the way of moving equipment. Perhaps the websites you mentioned answer those questions. If not, perhaps someone at the Bambi Inn or one of the other two businesses in Butte Meadows would know. As I have not been up in that area at all this season, what I am presenting are just my 'thoughts'. Gerry
This is just over the hill from Butt Lake near Yellow Creek. I suspect if not burned, this area is closed.

A few years ago the Humbolt area was closed off due to fire, Hope you won't see any of these on your route.

Here is a section of Concow rd out of Jones Meadows into Philbrook (if memory serves). I ride a smaller bike but think it is as well, doable on something larger, but I will defer to those that have ridden it on a bigger bike.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #574
EdGear
Edventurer

Looks like a winner to me. Everything is well out of the fire perimeter maps. I'll look into closure notices. That jog to the left may be Jonesville rd.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #575
EdGear
Edventurer

The Chips fire is along the edges of the Lassen NF and Plumas NF so there are two sets of closure notices.

Hwy 70 goes though a PNF closure area but is not listed as closed.

In the Lassen NF Humbug Rd goes through a LNF closure area and is listed as closed. (potentially all the way down to Philbrook res.)

Part of Humbolt Rd. near Hwy 89 forms the edge of the LNF closure area and could be closed as well. I'll have to monitor Inciweb updates.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #576
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

The left off on Humbug could certainly be called Jonesville rd. I pay little attention to road signs as I seem to forget names and such. Rocks, trees and views I seem to remember. Indeed, a left on Humbug will take you to Jonesville and Humbolt road. Given my limited experience, I would be inclined to say that the road closures are 'weak', unmanned and pretty easy to go around. Please keep in mind that the folks that put them in place are working in extreme conditions and likely will not take kindly to interlopers. Do what you need to do quickly and don't doddle, as at this point, the (dirt) road is pretty much groomed for the average sedan. Should you not want to risk the Concow/Philbrook/Jonesville rd. you can take a left once in Jones Meadows (should you be on Concow rd.) and this will take you West to Inskip. When you hit pavement (new) you can turn right and take the 'Skyway' pavement/dirt into Butte Meadows (Bambi Inn). A right turn at the Bambi Inn will take you past Jonesville and then you have a choice to turn right on Humbug (NO) or 'kind of' stay straight and go up and over Humbolt. Have fun and take pictures........... Gerry
Old 09-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #577
EdGear
Edventurer

Thanks Gerry
I am talking with the forest service about which roads they may open next. If roads are closed then I'll plan a different route. I see the routes you suggested, the whole area looks great. I need to come back some time in the future with my 640 Adventure to do some exploring.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #578
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

KyoXR > Thanks

KyoXR, thanks for the insight and pictures regarding Ball Rock. Views are nice, but truth be told, I have little interest in scrambling up rocks to have one. With all the talk about fires, and mention of smoke, I decided to see what is going on in area we were talking about. GEEZZ, seems there is a pretty big fire going on just a few miles West of that location. As I have some respiratory issues, the smart thing for me would be to reschedule the adventure.

With all the time I spent on Google Earth and some other software I have, the Mendocino National Forest looks to be a great place to explore as it appears riddled with forest service roads. The downside is the transport time to get their. Thanks again for the feedback. Gerry
Old 09-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #579
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Sorry for the slow reply, I was off on business for the last few days.

I was at Ball Rock last Saturday morning:

Wasn't too smokey @ 9:00a.m.

I am not the expert in this area by any means, HopSing is the local Sensi. I did his suggested route from Collier Springs Road across Ragglin' Ridge and dropped onto FH 22 (if I remember right). After Ball Rock hit Cold Springs Station and down to Paskenta. Very easy ride from Paskenta to Ball Rock, no tight trails and only a short road/climb off of a very car-worthy road (FH22). From Ball Rock down to Paskenta I would have had no problems riding with my Supermoto tires/wheels. Wouldn't of wanted them on when climbing the road up out of Collier Springs though.

It is pretty clear up here today, and the other fire is closer to Willows/Maxwell. It is only going to be in the lower 90's for the next week, I'd go for the ride. Send me a pm and let me know when you are going, I may be able to join you two!

oobus screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 01:09 PM
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #580
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks OObus, sounds like you are involved in seasonal work, so I appreciate your time. With those kind of jobs, when it rains, it pours. I spent some time with the valley nut harvest many years ago. As the smoke issue made things kind of iffy for me, I cancelled with my Woodland Friend. I did not want him to drive all that distance and then have to listen to some old fart pissing about air quality. What I might do is load up and drive over sometime early (ish) Sunday. If the air seems pretty breathable to me, I will explore on my own. Should I end up with a real sense of the area, I will invite Mike once again and then we can really have an adventure. If I go, I will take some pictures of the 'dust clouds' me and the TW can generate at 15mph. Thanks again. Gerry
Old 09-07-2012, 02:56 AM   #581
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobus View Post

I was at Ball Rock last Saturday morning:

I am not the expert in this area by any means, HopSing is the local Sensi. I did his suggested route from Collier Springs Road across Ragglin' Ridge and dropped onto FH 22 (if I remember right). After Ball Rock hit Cold Springs Station and down to Paskenta. Very easy ride from Paskenta to Ball Rock, no tight trails and only a short road/climb off of a very car-worthy road (FH22). From Ball Rock down to Paskenta I would have had no problems riding with my Supermoto tires/wheels. Wouldn't of wanted them on when climbing the road up out of Collier Springs though.

It is pretty clear up here today, and the other fire is closer to Willows/Maxwell. It is only going to be in the lower 90's for the next week, I'd go for the ride. Send me a pm and let me know when you are going, I may be able to join you two!
Neat! So about how many miles from Ball Rock heading towards Paskenta is it before you hit pavement? from the Google images It doesn't look far but it's hard to tell exactly were the dirt ends and the pavement begins from the satellite images.
which also makes me want to know where about is the gate for closing off traffic for the snow? Is it still on the dirt part or the paved part?
KyoXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #582
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Hey, mrgizmow, I was living up in Paradise for a while with my Girlfriend until she started having a emotional affair with her co-worker, she eventually started liking him more then me so out the door I went...
I really like the area of Paradise and the elevation, I enjoyed riding my bicycle up the bike path to Magalia and being able to coast all the way back to Paradise If I wanted to because of the consistent downward grade seeing how it's the old railroad path.
Honeyrun road on the motorcycle is pretty nice also, I always wanted to take my bicycle down it and have someone shuttle me back up but never got the chance.
I was told there is some good motorcycle riding further up North in some canyon areas but I never checked it out.

Here is the web site I have been using to follow the fires,
http://wv.enplan.com/
I have been keeping a eye on them as my friend has a cabin near Panther springs.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #583
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
KyoXR, it was about 30-40 minutes from Ball Rock to the Pavement. I was running knobbies so I was moving pretty fast. Didn't seem like very far, the time on the asphalt drags on much more so....

I don't remember seeing a gate, but if it was there it would have been on the entrance from the asphalt to the dirt road.

Only a couple of weekends before I have no weekends, want to ride up to the "Slab" on Thomas Creek this weekend...
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #584
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

KYO, Paradise is very nice. The specter of fire has changed my perspective somewhat. Lots of riding though it seems Sierra Pacific has been really clamping down on access to 'their' land. A few years ago, once I hit Jordan Hill rd. I would not see pavement again until Chester.

Many, many years ago, I rode the railroad grade from Chico, via Honey Run all the way to Sterling City. The rails had already been removed but the ties and rock railbed were still in place. That was one long arduous ride. A couple of years after rode up again but opted to avoid most of the lower rail line by taking Centerville rd. to Center Gap, then along Doe Mill ridge to Powelton rd. Pedaled up Powelton and caught the long since abandon railroad grade just below Inskip. The ride on that to Butte Meadows was a real adventure as the washed out trestles required us to carry our bicycles in and out of the ravines. That night we camped at Cherry Hill and rode the next day out along Carpenter ridge out to and across hwy 32. Took the backside along Campball Creek up to Cohassett. Once back in Chico, we took a celebratory dip in One Mile and went about our daily routine. The two gals I rode with are now in their 50's and I am 63. Seems it was a lifetime ago. Gerry
Old 09-12-2012, 01:48 AM   #585
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobus View Post
KyoXR, it was about 30-40 minutes from Ball Rock to the Pavement. I was running knobbies so I was moving pretty fast. Didn't seem like very far, the time on the asphalt drags on much more so....

I don't remember seeing a gate, but if it was there it would have been on the entrance from the asphalt to the dirt road.

Only a couple of weekends before I have no weekends, want to ride up to the "Slab" on Thomas Creek this weekend...
I was thinking that it was closer but when I looked again at google earth it did end up looking like it was around 15 miles? I'm just going to have to go ride it and see for myself,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmow View Post
KYO, Paradise is very nice. The specter of fire has changed my perspective somewhat. Lots of riding though it seems Sierra Pacific has been really clamping down on access to 'their' land. A few years ago, once I hit Jordan Hill rd. I would not see pavement again until Chester.

Many, many years ago, I rode the railroad grade from Chico, via Honey Run all the way to Sterling City. The rails had already been removed but the ties and rock railbed were still in place. That was one long arduous ride. A couple of years after rode up again but opted to avoid most of the lower rail line by taking Centerville rd. to Center Gap, then along Doe Mill ridge to Powelton rd. Pedaled up Powelton and caught the long since abandon railroad grade just below Inskip. The ride on that to Butte Meadows was a real adventure as the washed out trestles required us to carry our bicycles in and out of the ravines. That night we camped at Cherry Hill and rode the next day out along Carpenter ridge out to and across hwy 32. Took the backside along Campball Creek up to Cohassett. Once back in Chico, we took a celebratory dip in One Mile and went about our daily routine. The two gals I rode with are now in their 50's and I am 63. Seems it was a lifetime ago. Gerry
you were more adventurous then I was...
that sounds like quite the trip.