ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #586
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Lake Almanor day trip

Took the bike up to Chester a couple days ago to find some trails and forget about work. I'm having trouble posting any pics to this site for a proper "report", but I take my GoPro camera everywhere I go so here is a little section of K-Line around the northwest shore of Almanor coming back to Chester. Of course I was running out of time just as I was starting to enjoy myself. It's a 20 minute video section of me nursing the throttle as I was by myself and still getting used to it, haha but hope you enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfeME...eature=mh_lolz

I also drove up Humbolt to the snowmobile park to scout out that as a possible "Starting Point" to make it over the mountain to Chester next time. Any thoughts? Also thought about Paradise as a starting point, I want to avoid the Highway as much as possible as this is a 230, street legal yes, but a little small for 60 mph imo.

Anyone make that or a similar ride since the Chips Fire? I was thinking Humbolt rather than Humbug just for that reason, thanks for any ideas!
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #587
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Chester response

Being in Chico you have a couple of options based on how much time you want to spend on the ride. You can head up Cohassett road and have Chester as a destination, but it would be a long ride just to avoid traffic. Back to your question; Given the riding I have done out of Paradise, I would say that route would meet your criteria. You could do the same thing by taking highway 32 up past Forest Ranch and then turn right on Garland rd. Drop down in the canyon and up to Powelton rd. (get Lassen National forest map at Ellis eng. on Broadway or Mt. Sports). A left on Powelton will offer you the potential to just about make Inskip on dirt. There you have a couple of choices. Turn right at Inskip and head over to Jones Meadows and down to Philbrook or go up the Skyway all the way to Butte Meadows. There are certainly a few variation of this, but you need a map........ If you plan on doing lots of dirt, might as well get the Plumas national forest as well. If you have lots of time and gas money, pickup the Mendocino National forest. With all three you can ride till you're as old as me and not likely get bored. Please keep in mind, I am only offering 'ideas' you need, and should do your own research. Gerry

mrgizmow screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 04:42 PM
mrgizmow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #588
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the tips Gerry. Grabbed a map today and will start planning this. Now to figure out why I am not able to post Pics!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #589
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, lets see about picture posting. Each forum has it's idiosyncrasies. This one has struck me as rather straight forward.

Ok, this is my first 'adventure-bike' circa 1966. The adventure was likely my Dad's in trying to figure out how he would pay for it.

I save my photos to "Photo Bucket". When I want to post, I go to the photo that I saved on Photo Bucket. When I put the cursor atop the photo, I am given 4 options. I put the cursor atop the forth/last option displayed which reads " IMG Code", I left click and I get "copied". This I move to my post and right click, paste.

You may not like Photobucket, but until you dial it in, it may be worth your while to join. Good luck. Gerry

mrgizmow screwed with this post 09-14-2012 at 06:31 PM
Old 09-15-2012, 12:34 AM   #590
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Photobucket

Awesome, I use Photobucket. Didn't even think of using that to get photos to here. Thanks again Gerry.

BTW both nice pics of your bikes, still have both?
Old 09-15-2012, 01:04 AM   #591
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Nope, just the Yamaha TW200. I think that photo is on a section from Cohasset that leads to the Lassen Trail. Pretty ride, but long and requires a map or gps. Gerry
Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #592
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Stirling City to Philbrook Lake

How is the ride from Sterling City to Philbrook Lake? I have thursday off this week and looking for a little dirt. Looks like Reston Road out of Sterling City to Concow Rd. to Philbrook road. ~2k alt incline. Anyone familiar with this little ride? Thanks -Jeramie
Old 09-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #593
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,553
Thumb Good ride. Just did it last weekend...

with the creator of this forum. Better yet, go up to Philbrook Lake and around, pick up Concow road and ride it back to hwy 70. Concow Rd. is a fun road to ride, a little technical in some areas with a creek crossing but easy ride for the most part. I ride that ride when I'm bored and don't really have a lot of time for a longer ride. We spent about 4 hours riding it with plenty of stops. It'll also take you to Bald Mtn lookout. If you don't want to ride Concow Rd. out you can pick up Browns Ravine Rd. or Retson Rd. to get back to Skway. Browns Ravine will dump you out at Inskip, Retson will put you at Stirling City. No matter what, you'll have a good ride.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #594
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

RE: Concow Rd

Awesome, thanks Redog1. I was on the fence about going all the way to Almanor or not just to ride around but I think you made up my mind.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #595
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Sterling City- Philbrook Lake

Ended up taking Retson to Concow to philbrook roads, then back the way I came. Very, very enjoyable ride. Ran into maybe 5 people tops the whole ride. Two of whom gave me some advice on the turnoffs. I can see why you make this little ride when you are bored and have a few hours to kick around redog1. Thanks again for the advice.

Dry creek crossing today at concow and Philbrook
Photobucket

Shot of the lake
Photobucket

Picked up a new garmin for topo and satellite imagery.. I mean my wife's new City navigator machine
Photobucket

Quick lunch here before heading back down
Photobucket

(Link to photobucket album)
http://s1240.beta.photobucket.com/us...9-20-12?sort=2

BanhXeo screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 07:45 PM Reason: photo not right
Old 09-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #596
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Glad you had a nice ride. Good to hear Reston rd. is open, perhaps they are pulling logs out. Maybe I will head up that way this weekend. I need to break away from all my chores and have an adventure. Gerry

Here's a picture of Philbrook with some water in it.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #597
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Gerry. Yes Reston was open ( 'least the part of it I was on was). Have a good adventure this weekend, maybe we can get together sometime and putter around. Looks like I will be taking Tuesday off this next week. You available during the week?
Old 09-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #598
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,553
Some good riding up there...

If you want some more technical stuff, take Retson or Browns Ravine Rd. up to Concow Rd. Take a left and head up the back way to High Lakes area. Stay to the right when you come to a Y, the left will take you back to Philbrook. The ride back down the smooth route will give you a break before you get home.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #599
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Jeramie, as I seem to be unemployed at the moment, I do have some 'time' on my hands. I welcome the opportunity to ride with others. As I have ridden years on my own, I have developed a pace that works very well for me. Unfortunately at my age, I have become rather unyielding as to how fast I should ride. The pace that I use to explore the remote regions of N. Calif. allows me to see rather than scare the local fauna. As well, it is my hope that moving at 15mph will lessen the impact and damage (to me) should I fall. I have no problem moving at my own rate and meeting on the trail from time to time. I certainly can provide some general insight as to what road goes where should you be new to an area.

If you still have an interest but have concerns as well, be advised, we are adults. If you feel in any way restricted (at any time) simply say so and be free to move once again at your own pace with no fuss. I have spent some time moving about the woods and have no desire, nor need to hold anybody back.

What I do require is that you tell me that you want to proceed on your own so I don't wonder/worry what in hell happened to you. Gerry
Old 09-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #600
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Rocks

Hey those rocks look interesting. I would like to know where the rocks are.
Can I get to some rocks like that anywhere close with a pickup.
I ride Trials and am looking for a place I can ride that has big smooth rocks.
I would be interested in any good places I could get permission to ride. if someone found a place South of Chico in the foothills I might be interested in leasing.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote