ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 11:44 PM   #601
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Sounds good Gerry. Most of these trails and dirt roads I have been on lately, I have never seen before. I would rather take in the air, enjoy the sights and learn some new routes with new people at a slow and steady pace at this time. (Though this bike seems to handle and sound happiest on dirt at a quick pace) I am still working 2 full time jobs so just being able to get away for 1 day a week and come home healthy is all I need right now. Will give me a chance to take more pics too.

I am still aiming to make a Paradise- Chester dirt ride before winter, and most of the rides I have done this month have been testing the waters and eyeballing routes, but I am open to any ideas or areas. I work doubles the next few days but I will be following the forums daily. Thanks again!
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #602
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Jeramie, going to pass on any adventure on Tuesday as I have to take the Wife to the Dr. around noon. What you may want to try, Is to head back up to Reston rd. but once you turn off the Skyway be on the look-out for a right turn. This I believe this will be P-line and can take you back over to Concow rd. only South/East of where you were. Not sure about the gates, but if you can get in, it will be a nice loop that you can add to what you already have done, and as well, it can be part of you eventual Chester adventure. Kind of a 'safe' rule of thumb on this route would be; main road and left turns though this may be a bit limiting. Check your Lassen map. I think the 'ideal' would have you on P-line and hitting Concow rd. slightly below/South of Rad Dump. Turn left on Concow rd. and go up and along Granite Ridge. Once down from the ridge you will come to a 'dusty' intesection. Proceed straight even though this will likely appear to be the least traveled option. This section of 'road' will be very loose with degraded sandstone but will be a very pretty area. Even though it has been dry, you should expect to ford Little Kimshew creek around an area that seems to attract some overnite campers (Ramsey bar). Continuing on and still favoring the 'main rd & Left turn' you come across a concrete slab over Big Kimshew creek. At this point you will almost be on your way to connecting with Reston rd in what will have been something close to a counter-clockwise circle. With in two miles (likely less) from the concrete slab you will come across a triangle intersection. At first it will simply appear to be a choice of straight or turn right, but if you turn right almost immediately you will have a chance to make a left hand turn which will simply bring you right back to the main road you just turned off.... Anyway, after the concrete, if you take that right and stay on it, it will bring you around to the base of the hill up to Bald Mt. look-out tower.

Look close at your map and the landmarks and references should do a pretty good job of outlining that loop. This could then be added to you Philbrook segment. From Philbrook you could take the turnoff to Snag Lake then your on your way to Humbug road and eventually Chester. Not suggesting that for anything less than a day trip when you are a bit more familiar with the area and can move with a greater degree of confidence. Something else that I carry but have not used much of late, is a can of Surveyors spray paint. When I am really in a new area with lots of roads, I sometimes mark my turns as to minimize the chance of really getting turned around. Good luck, have fun and bring us back some pictures. Maybe we can get together next week. Gerry

mrgizmow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #603
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Adventure Tuesday

Thanks for the post Gerry, I will most definately look into that loop. I decided to go ahead and make the run from Philbrook to Canyon Dam, Lake Almanor today. I left from my "turnaround" point last thursday at the Philbrook boat launch area.
Immediately after leaving I was given the option of going out the way I drove in, (boring route) or a gravel road that climbed fairly quickly up the side of the mountain. Anxious to ride already I chose the high road and soon found myself looking down the beginning of what looked like the High Lakes route.

This road progressively narrows and tosses rocks, tree's, dips and all sorts of fun in your way.
[IMG][/IMG]

After about 45 mins or so I decided I wasn't much closer to my destination of Lake Almanor than when I started so I tried to tell myself to get back out and come back another day. Insert water crossing now.. and this trip is starting to look like the adventure I was hoping for.
[IMG][/IMG]

Back on the route I was shooting for I was quickly let down as the Humbug Rd. I had remembered as a kid bouncing around in my Dad's pickup had "mellowed" out a touch. Was there always this much gravel? I sat back and cruised along hoping the road would throw some curveballs otherwise this was going to be a long trip. Whats this.. a large dried lake bed ( Snag Lake). I like it.
[IMG][/IMG]

Moving on up to the summit
[IMG][/IMG]

Bike on the Bridge photo op. (Giantloop bag arrived yesterday. They will be receiving a letter of praise very soon)
[IMG][/IMG]

Coming down the other side of the mountain into Humbug Valley I came across this sign. I remember it quite well from years ago
[IMG][/IMG]

BanhXeo screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 10:46 PM
Old 09-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #604
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking ..more Adv.

As a kid, we would camp Yellow Creek quite often. I haven't been here since I was about 12. This is why I wanted to ride today.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Another reason for Almanor as a destination was the recent Chips Fire. I had decided due to my late start today, that most of that exploration would have to wait. This Road runs parallel with Highway 89 and showed some signs of fire.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This was the end of the dirt. I knew with time restraints I was going to have to hit this Highway for a few miles up to Canyon Dam to say hey to my Dad.
[IMG][/IMG]

About a 3.5 hour ride there. 2 hours on the dot to get back. All in all a great day in the dirt, thanks for joining me
For the whole picture dump of the trip (Minus Videos) check out: http://s1240.beta.photobucket.com/us...anor%209-25-12
Old 09-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #605
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,790
Curious....

What road were you on where the pic of the creek crossing is? It doesn 't look familiar but everything else does.
Nice easy ride, been over that rout 3 times but not since the Chips fire.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #606
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

It was off of High Lakes Road on Coon Hollow Rd. actually my Garmin had it listed as Coon Hollow Blvd. It bobs and weaves and just looks like an old jeep trail. It runs the side of the mountain and T's into humbug summit Rd. on Google Maps.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #607
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Nice pictures, and a great ride. I checked out Coon Hollow a couple of times. Went in from the Snag lake side about a half mile and came to the 'rock steps' I think I had my Baja Bug and was a bit uncertain as to what I might get myself into (alone) so I did not continue up. On the bike, I came down from the high lakes as you likely did. At some point I turned off and missed the drop into Coon Hollow. Instead I ended up on a section of 'road' that was comprised of cantaloupe size (and larger) rocks. This was a real challenge for the TW's marginal suspension and had a high probability for a broken wrist should I fall. That turn took me back to the Philbrook rd, but NW of the lake. I'll look and see if I have a couple of pictures. I am pretty sure I have one of that sign in much better condition. Looks like you had a real good day. Thanks for sharing. Gerry Note: Seems when I posted my picture of "the sign" your's disappeared. Wonder what that is all about?

Here is the 'wrong turn' that I took on my Coon Hollow adventure.

mrgizmow screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 10:18 AM
Old 09-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #608
redog1
KLR650-2009

Coon Hollow rd. has been on my list to check out.

Haven't been there yet but looks right up my alley. Could become one of my new "Favorite" rides from the looks of things. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #609
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Jeramie, really enjoyed your link to Photobucket. Seems I have (almost) duplicates to many of your photos. We are certainly of different generations, but it would be a privilege to ride with you ( I can take care of myself). Here is a link (I hope) to a video I made of some of the route that I referenced. Thanks again. Gerry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSo6A...eature=g-all-u
Old 09-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #610
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Right back at ya Gerry. That route looks real nice, I will definately have to check it out. We will have to set something up before the weather changes for sure.

Redog1, keep me posted about that road. I am really interested in riding the High Lakes Route, but decided against doing it solo. There was some fun/technical stuff on coons hollow rd, but keep an eye out right after that creek crossing. Seemed like there had been someone camping up there fairly recently, with a small tee-pee built (for fun maybe?) Right after it the road splits 3 different ways, Far left path (headed downstream) took me back to Humbug. Have Fun!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #611
redog1
KLR650-2009

High Lakes road...

"Redog1, keep me posted about that road. I am really interested in riding the High Lakes Route, but decided against doing it solo."
I may do Coon Hollow Rd. on Sunday. I'll research it tonight on my GPS maps.

I rode the High Lakes Rd. with Lucasleader this year. I also didn't want to do it alone but after doing it I really don't think it would be a problem. It would be more difficult coming up from Hwy 70 than going down from the top of the hill. Let me know when you want to ride it, I'll be happy to do it again (and will)
Ride report here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810665
Old 09-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #612
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmow View Post

Likely not going back here. This is as far as I wanted to venture alone. The old Rubicon Trail. To think, this is the way the model 'A's used to get to Tahoe.

Do you remember where this was? I've been thinking about doing a ride to Tahoe on dirt and have searched for "the old Rubicon" but haven't been able to find any information.
LucasLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #613
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

I believe I rode in from Wentworth Springs. I met up with a group that was going to depart from the 'major' staging area at the dam on Loon Lake. The Rubicon video by Daisy Dela is a good one and shows me, and the TW200 group that did the ride. My research and sampling of the terrain the day before suggested this would be one TUFF adventure, some much so as to come more an issue of 'survival' than enjoyment, so I declined and explored on my own.

I "think" the section I rode in on simply butts into the Loon Lake staging area and then continues on the same path. If I recall correctly it took the TW group about 10 hours to do the 20 odd miles and I understand it was VERY challenging. I used a Tahoe National forest map as a reference and your welcome to it if you are ever up in Paradise. I suspect Ellis Engineering and Mountain Sports have them. Good luck, and I would certainly suggest you have a partner. Gerry
Here is another photo a couple of miles short of the rocks. A one lane concrete 'bridge' over a culvert, think it was dated some time in the 30's.

Perhaps this was part of one of the original homesteads around Wentworth Springs. There is a camping area close by.

mrgizmow screwed with this post 09-27-2012 at 11:50 AM
Old 09-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #614
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Oh, I was under the impression that road was somewhere in Plumas near where all of the other pictures are. There are tons of forest roads on Google maps that I can use to make a route down to Tahoe but I was hoping to have a good starting point.
LucasLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #615
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Sounds like you have quite the adventure planned. There may be lots of roads, but with all the gates it seems to be something of a gamble as to what route will allow 'thru passage'. Then again, if you have the time, that is what adventure is all about. Enjoy and I sure would enjoy seeing your pictures of the adventure. When do you think you will head out? Gerry