ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #616
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
I'm not sure when this would be, but probably not for quite a while. I'd prefer to do it when it's cooler but before everything is blocked by snow. So either fall or late spring/early summer.
LucasLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #617
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Snows a comin' again!

Anyone want to join me up to Bald Mountain Lookout tomorrow the 29th for a nice shot of Lassen and the hills around us? Call or send me a PM.
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #618
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Boy I would sure be in for that, but I have one more day at a temp. job. The roads will be great with all the dust settled. Everything will smell so fresh. Things will be super, that's for sure. I might be mistaken but there was a bike of Craigslist a week or so ago that looked just like yours. Still riding the Honda? Gerry
mrgizmow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #619
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Gerry! Nah that was my Honda up for sale. It served its purpose quite well, but was too small for me. Here's my new adventure...[IMG][/IMG]
Another big storm coming in on the 1st it looks like. I'm game to take a ride up there to check snow levels the week after it.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #620
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,782
Ah, Lake Almanor....

Want to ride up there this weekend? Bald Mtn. See where we can get to?
Old 10-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #621
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Jeramie, looks like you made it 'over the hill' or was your picture of another backside run to Canyon Dam?Not sure I can think about riding with you anymore. I have been told that a KTM idles faster than my TW goes when the throttle is pegged... Much like last year, perhaps we will go from dust to muck in the span of a month. I really would like to do something North of Paskenta before the cold has me so bundled up that I can't move. Not sure of the storm situation for the weekend but things are still dry enough that a three day rain will likely soak in by Sunday. I would be up for a ride, but remember I am a card carrying member of AARP. Gerry

mrgizmow screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 08:18 AM
Old 10-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #622
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
If I don't have to work OT I'm into it
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:02 PM   #623
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Shit ! It's raining again! Please OT gods let me ride instead!
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:31 PM   #624
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
mrgizmow 10-29-2012 07:37 PM
Jeramie, looks like you made it 'over the hill' or was your picture of another backside run to Canyon Dam?
I trailored it up there this trip, but I did make my goal of making it over the hill this year! I also like to take my time and enjoy the surroundings still.

Quote:
Bob Tosi 10-29-2012 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1
If I don't have to work OT I'm into it
Met a guy who watched our High Lakes trip video brien, he rides the lakes from 70 a lot, was going to try and hook up with him and ride out of sterling city on sunday since he rides a crf with no plates. Give me a call or shoot me an email guys. Maybe we can all meet up Sunday and enjoy the day together
Old 10-31-2012, 08:38 PM   #625
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Looks like a nice weekend

Found this regarding weather forcast this weekend around philbrook. Apparently this system is warmer than last weeks, might be able to get aways up there, otherwise we could always check out Bald Mountain then ride concow rd around the side to the story fire area. Lower elevation and nice easy riding. http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...&FcstType=text
Old 11-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #626
ksobon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Gas tank upgrade?

I live in Paradise and I am also looking for people to ride with. I have been ridding solo and it would be great to join up with other riders. Let me know...

Also: I have a Honda XR650L and I am looking into upgrading my 2.7gal gas tank.(130miles) Do any of you have any advise on brands/ size? Is a 4 gal big enough or should I get the largest 5.8gal?

Thanks

-Ken
ksobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #627
redog1
KLR650-2009

Depends on what you're going to do....

Riding the local areas and most rides 4 gals. would be fine, even on the TAT it would most likely be fine but I'd be more comfortable with the 5.8 on that ride. I like having plenty of fuel and never really having to worry about it, one of the reasons I ride a KLR, stock 6 gallon tank.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #628
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oh, I forgot....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksobon View Post
I live in Paradise and I am also looking for people to ride with. I have been ridding solo and it would be great to join up with other riders. Let me know...

Also: I have a Honda XR650L and I am looking into upgrading my 2.7gal gas tank.(130miles) Do any of you have any advise on brands/ size? Is a 4 gal big enough or should I get the largest 5.8gal?

Thanks

-Ken
Welcome to ADVrider. I'm always going so stay tuned. It'll be slowing down with the cold and weather but I do tend to get a little cabin fever after awhile and gear up to head out for whatever I may find.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #629
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Welcome Ken, I talked to you from the ridedualsport.com forums. We try to stay active in this area. Good amount of active people around this area, hope to meet up soon...
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
Old 11-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #630
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

[SIZE="3"]I trailered the TW over to Paskenta on Wednesday. Wanted to do a little more exploring on the West side of the valley and for much of the Summer it was to smokey for me. Rode Lowery from the East side of the mill and after about 16 slow mile on that gravel (mostly) I turned left on Colyer Spring rd. At this point I finely hit dirt and started to climb out of the valley. Boy Colyer Spring rd/ M22 would be easy for grandfathers Buick Electra, though I do sometimes enjoy a bit more of a challenge, but not so much so as to take some of those 'side trails.

Had a real nice time but since I ride slow, and started late (9:30) I was keeping a close eye on the time. Temps were fine in the valley but for me (64) I noticed it getting cooler as a climbed. No problem, or complaint as I carry plenty of gear and simply put on another vest or windbreaker.

My initial thought was to do a clockwise ride from Lowery, to Colyer Spring to Redbank rd then onto Paskenta rd. back to Paskenta and my truck/trailer. As I got to Colyer Springs rd, and Redbank it was clear that if I turned on Redbank I would likely not gain much if any elevation, so I stayed on Colyer Springs rd till I came upon this.

Now, this spot was a little up the road as I am indicating from this point.

My hope is to go back within a few weeks and make a loop. Likely I will try a clockwise from somewhere in Paskenta with the hope of connecting with what I already rode and complete the loop. I spoke with a federal forest guy as I was loading up my bike in front of their head-quarters. He indicated a loop the might include M2 and or M4. As I seem to be at the age where I forget some stuff I am clear I need to do a bit more research as to the time and distance of 'basic' loops. My thought is to trailer over with my little Toyota Dolpin motorhome and 'camp' the night before in front of the Paskenta 'ranger station' then get an early start on a loop.

As I am an older guy, I have done my share of 'stupid stuff'. My desire is to do a nice (don't mind some ruts and rocks) just don't what to break a "hip" ride. I have software and maps. It would be nice to get some general advice/instruction from you 'West-Side' folks as to a loop and route that I might be able to do in a 'day' if I travel no more than 20mph.

Now you guys know why your teacher gave you all those, time/distance/factor variables problems

Thanks folks, any info is appreciated. Gerry

/SIZE]