ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #631
ksobon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Gerry

It looks like a great place to explore. This is one of the places on my todo list. Let us know when you decide to go.

Ken
ksobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #632
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Gerry, that third photo looks familiar:

If you would have turned left earlier off of Collier Springs Road, soon after the "burrows ranch" it would have taken you to Raglin' Ridge and back to Paskenta by Ball Rock. If you want to ride this side of the valley, I think that Hop-Sing would be your huckelberry... Got my directions from him.

Matt
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #633
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Thanks Matt, not sure but I believe the first photo is the Raglin Ridge turnoff as I passed it early on and kept to the right on the main road (not the hill shown) and continued up passed the little repeater shed. I think this is transmit location #14 on my "Spot" map (see link). I will have to do more research and expand my "Spot" tracking report. T Gerry

https://login.findmespot.com/spot-ma...s/history.html

mrgizmow screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 12:28 AM
mrgizmow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #634
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Yes, that looks like the correct turn at that sign. I'll bet this would be a beautiful weekend to ride up there.

Matt
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #635
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

[SIZE="4"]Thanks again Matt. I have no idea if Raglin continues with the mix of gravel/dirt mix that we see here, but what I rode on Colyer Springs rd would likely be pretty slippery right now. I would also guess, given how chilly it was in Paradise yesterday morning, there is a chance that this storm may have dropped a bit of the white stuff in the Mendicino. If you ride, bundle up and take us some pictures. Gerry/SIZE]
Old 11-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #636
ksobon
Adventurer

Ride??

Is anyone up for a ride tomorow- (Veterans Day)? I was thinking about Ponderosa Way- as far as possible into Ishi Wilderness. I'm not sure how high Deer creek is but lets find out.

I was thinking about leaving Chico around 10-11am, after it warms up a bit, and heading up Cohasset.

Let me know if you are up for it.

Ken

http://www.sherpaguides.com/californ.../ishi_map.html
Old 11-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #637
ksobon
Adventurer

Ride tomorow- (Veterans Day)? Ishi Wilderness

Is anyone up for a ride tomorrow- (Veterans Day)? I was thinking about Ponderosa Way- as far as possible into Ishi Wilderness. I'm not sure how high Deer creek is but lets find out.

I was thinking about leaving Chico around 10-11am, after it warms up a bit, and heading up Cohasset.

Let me know if you are up for it.

Ken

Old 11-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #638
ksobon
Adventurer

Old 11-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #639
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
I'm working all day tomorrow ken but off Tuesday, i'd ride then if you are available.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #640
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Don't think you will need to be worried about Deer Creek. If you make the big puddles and mud between the transmission towers and the helicopter pad I think the going will be a "bit" more manageable. Take care. Gerry
Old 11-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #641
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksobon View Post
I live in Paradise and I am also looking for people to ride with. I have been ridding solo and it would be great to join up with other riders. Let me know...

Also: I have a Honda XR650L and I am looking into upgrading my 2.7gal gas tank.(130miles) Do any of you have any advise on brands/ size? Is a 4 gal big enough or should I get the largest 5.8gal?

Thanks

-Ken
If I remember correctly there are 4 aftermarket tanks out there, 2 from Clarke 4.0gal and 4.7gal, Acerbis 5.8gal and the IMS tank (I don't remember the capacity), I went with the Clarke 4.7gal and glad I didn't go any smaller, my rides are usually 90 to 115 miles and when I get home I can see I was just about to hit reserve, so had I went with the 4.0 I might be pulling in on fumes,

talking about Colyer springs road and Raglin ridge, I refer to Raglin ridge as "the short cut" to Ball Rock (the road on the left of that sign in that picture IS Raglin Ridge), It's about 10 miles shorter then taking Colyer Springs to Ball Rock, what I usually do is go up Raglin Ridge and come back through Coyer springs, it makes for a decent amount of new scenery.

looking at those most recent pictures of Colyer springs looks like they have been doing some road grading up there, I wonder If they graded Raglin Ridge as it was getting a bit rutted in a few spots.
My motorcycle is 5000 times faster then a centipede!
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #642
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Paskenta

Paskenta loop. You are in a good area, however winter weather will most likely not allow loops to include the higher elevation. Raglin Ridge is like 6500 feet and snow builds up in the shaded areas. I recommend the raglin loop be done in a counter clockwise direction. reason being, the steeper rougher road is uphill going counter clockwise. Faster and safer.
You don't want to turn North on Red Bank. years ago that too was a loop road that was had by all us locals and was very much a real 4wd road. Today it is no longer available to ride. It would go between the ranchers house and barn, It always seemed odd but was open the County never maintained it and that was why it was so good,and rough,but time has changed and it has long since been closed. I tried to bully my way through there last year claiming it was legal but got ran off by a rich Dick that doesn't even know the history of the place he now owns.

Back to Paskenta. West of Paskenta is the Yolla Bollies, wilderness area, no motorized vehicles. So when making loops to ride you either ride South , of the wilderness area or North. Paskenta is South.
there are some good foothill roads that i ride year round,but heading up the hill this time of year i rarely make it through. When I am not so tired I could make better , more clear suggestions. I am restricted to riding weekends although my calender says I could slip away from the 17th to the 25th.. Hummm.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #643
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
XR650L gas tanks

KSOBON ( Ken )
I live in Chico and am a dealer for Safari, Acerbis, IMS, and Clarke tanks. Send me an email, bob@ironmandualsport.com and I can help you out getting the right tank for your bike. Thanks Bob
Rockgarden Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #644
ksobon
Adventurer

Yeah- the mud puddles / lakes, ice and snow took all the fun out of the road. I turned around after I dumped it. (Slow speed) It was worth the risk...

I tried to go back to Forest Ranch via Ponderosa Way only to find it was not open anymore. :-(
Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #645
ksobon
Adventurer

(Wasn't worth the risk)