ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 02:07 AM   #691
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmow View Post
Another Winter adventure. Thanks KYO. Certainly looks to be a manageable depth had it not been iced over. As I am on the Paradise ridge, during this time of year it is not uncommon to see snow in the Mendocino as I drive down the Skyway and get a good view across the valley. In very general terms, is the Raglin Ridge loop open more often than not during the Winter or are most rides in that area aborted due to snow/ice, mud/muck and downed trees.

The best I was able to do was roll my bike out to the drive-way and run it for 15 minutes to charge the battery. Thanks again you guys for the inspirational photos. Gerry
Sometimes my "ride" consist of just like this one to where I go up as far as I can and then turn around and try to do the same thing on Colyear Springs road but If I could have gone on further, (inching along eventually over heating my engine-which is the main reason I stopped where I did), I would have hit this obstacle next...

I never have too much trouble with mud/muck but sometimes trees..

but as far as I can tell the snow usually gets pretty deep the further up making it pretty much impassable via motorcycle,(without a ton of shoveling) this last picture is after a lot of the snow had already melted.(I thought I had a better picture of some deeper snow?)

KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:09 AM   #692
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Thanks for the info. At 200cc's it doesn't take much snow to really impact my forward progress. I never seem to ride when the snow is soft and fluffy. As of late, whenever I start seeing snow in the brush along side the road, I figure likely within the next 1/4 mile the road will be impassable for me. Those gates are all to familiar to me. Not recent rides, but some adventure pictures non-the-less. Seems at one time or another, we all will deal with the same issues. Gerry

mrgizmow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:21 AM   #693
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Hahahaha, love the similarities.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #694
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Do you have enough room on those little buggers to carry a chainsaw and cutting torch? Lol!!!!!!
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:03 AM   #695
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

I have seriously considered fabricating a rack to hold a chain saw but my fold up saw will do until then.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #696
ksobon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Ride?

Anyone up for a ride Saturday- Feb 2nd? I can meet anytime after 10am.

Let me know.

Ken
ksobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #697
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
I am into riding Sunday if that work for anyone.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #698
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Where to?
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #699
ksobon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Ride?

I was going to watch the game on Sunday.
ksobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #700
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Let us probe the silent places,
let us seek what luck betides us,
Let us journey to a lonely land I know,
There's a whisper on the night-wind,
there's a star agleam to guide us,
And the wild is calling, calling... let us go.

Bob, didn't notice your quote until today, my uncle who passed last year, gave me one of his books that always sits on my desk in front of me.

Last I heard, there is snow on the west side in the shadows where the road turns from asphalt to dirt. I wonder how the Hogsback would be doing?
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #701
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobus View Post
Last I heard, there is snow on the west side in the shadows where the road turns from asphalt to dirt. I wonder how the Hogsback would be doing?
No snow on Hogsback, I couldn't make it to my friends cabin because of snow so I hit Hogsback off of Ponderosa way from the upper turn off to the lower turn off back to Ponderosa, I'm pretty sure that is the highest elevation point but it interest me to know If there is a higher point from there down to Red Bluff but I doubt it.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #702
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,774
Pretty much downhill from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
No snow on Hogsback, I couldn't make it to my friends cabin because of snow so I hit Hogsback off of Ponderosa way from the upper turn off to the lower turn off back to Ponderosa, I'm pretty sure that is the highest elevation point but it interest me to know If there is a higher point from there down to Red Bluff but I doubt it.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #703
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Raglin Ridge

I would think Raglin ridge would be April. And any late snow will close it. 6500 feet and some shady areas. and counter clockwise is much nicer. Steep going up. Dont get lost in the road, stop and turn around because the views on a clear day are hard to top. mostly paved on the decent back into Paskenta.

Again my view on Hogs back road. your time and your bike would be wasted.
Just roll out Plum valley rd. or Little giant mill road depending which way your looping.

Today my head is with my riding friends that are racing "the King of the Moto's"

Go Cody, Graham, Lousie.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #704
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Carpenter Ridge Rd.

Found some time Monday to get out and ride some "New to me" trails. I have been wanting to explore Carpenter Ridge Rd. (G line?) for some time since the snow on top of Cohasset blocked the path to Ponderosa Way. The storm with a low snow level coming in today made it all the more worth it.

Found a nice entry point to drop into the canyon off 32.
[IMG][/IMG]

Was a lot of this:
[IMG][/IMG]

And just a little of this..(Sometimes you just get lucky):
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Just when I was having fun..
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The Heli Pad is just in the background on that ridge in this photo. I could see ponderosa way, but climbing back up through snow was not on my agenda so I just ripped around on different logging trails that were just formed within the last couple years (don't show up on satellite imagery yet) collecting tracks for spring time.
[IMG][/IMG]

Get some rest while you can boys..It's going to be a great year!
[IMG][/IMG]
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188

BanhXeo screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 04:00 PM Reason: I can't click good
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #705
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,774
Thumb Nice Jeramie.

Glad you were able to get out. We need to get together again to explore some of the other roads we passed on our last ride. Busy this weekend but soon. Check your PM's