ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #61
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
That's good to know. I would really like to make it up to the lakes. They weren't working on the road on Sunday, but I'd bet they work Saturdays. When we left from Skyway and Coutolenc at about 7:15, we made it to where the construction was at about 7:45 I think, so it wouldn't be too long of a wait. It would be a good idea to plan for good timing on the way back. I had to wait the full hour once, and that wasn't very exciting.
LucasLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #62
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,732
Thanks for the heads up on the road construction,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevkev
I just did an unexpected traverse of the High Lakes area on 7/19. There was only one small patch of snow (read as a non issue) just around the corner and to the left from where the above picture was taken.

There is some roadwork going on the upper skyway/ Forest Road 171 just below the Humbug/Butte Creek Flat Road intersection. The flagmen only allow traffic to traverse the work site on the hour, so expect delays of up to an hour, or show up on time and drive on through.
Good info to know, should be ok as long as we leave before 7:30am
Old 07-20-2010, 05:39 PM   #63
redog1
KLR650-2009

So sounds like we're on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasLeader
That's good to know. I would really like to make it up to the lakes. They weren't working on the road on Sunday, but I'd bet they work Saturdays. When we left from Skyway and Coutolenc at about 7:15, we made it to where the construction was at about 7:45 I think, so it wouldn't be too long of a wait. It would be a good idea to plan for good timing on the way back. I had to wait the full hour once, and that wasn't very exciting.
for Saturday? I'll be there. DOH!! could happen. I've been known to entertain.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #64
Redline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
I would like to try to get up to the High Lakes again. I think if we brought a folding shovel we could dig a line through the snow. I don't know how much more snow there is beyond where I had to stop, but I think it drops back down so it should be dry. I say let's try it. This is where I had to stop, right at the sign with the map of the High Lakes. That road is actually going uphill.
Have you ever been past that point? If not, just be aware that about 1/4 mile up the road it gets pretty rocky. I wouldn't recommend it if you're riding in a group with big bikes (like a GS), but obviously that comes down to what the rider is comfortable with.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:09 PM   #65
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

I've never been past there. I'm not sure who would be going, but if any big bikes go they'll have to decide if they're comfortable with it.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #66
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 318
How Rocky?

I was hoping to meet some of you and go on this ride but I need more information to decide after the "rocky" warning. I have a GS Adventure. I have ridden it in some pretty rocky conditions but never in loose rock and never really nasty sections more than a few hundred yards long. I enjoy the bike on roads that a typical pickup truck would be able to handle but if it becomes a true 4 wheel drive only type terrain my bike is not much fun to ride. Does what you found beyond the snow get very loose or go on for long distances? I am only looking for an enjoyable outing, not an extremely challenging off road adventure. What do you recommend?
Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:55 PM   #67
Redline
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch
I was hoping to meet some of you and go on this ride but I need more information to decide after the "rocky" warning. I have a GS Adventure. I have ridden it in some pretty rocky conditions but never in loose rock and never really nasty sections more than a few hundred yards long. I enjoy the bike on roads that a typical pickup truck would be able to handle but if it becomes a true 4 wheel drive only type terrain my bike is not much fun to ride. Does what you found beyond the snow get very loose or go on for long distances? I am only looking for an enjoyable outing, not an extremely challenging off road adventure. What do you recommend?
Chuck
Chuck, here's a clip from youtube (no one I know). It gives you a pretty good idea of the terrain up there. Unless my memory is wrong, from 1:15-1:26 are about 1/2 mile past where LucasLeader took that picture.

There are a lot of roads in that area where a GSA would be fun, but that route would be a handful I'd think.

Jason
Old 07-20-2010, 11:21 PM   #68
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
That U tube is totally do-able. Great slide show Lucas! I just watched it! Dont know if I can make it this weekend. Maybe Sunday again.
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:34 PM   #69
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Who's up for this! It's huge!

http://www.ironmandualsport.com/Circ...tor_Flyer.html

Check it out and lets make a plan. There are routes for the bigger adventure type bikes that can be ridden and not get as thrashed or in to deep.
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Old 07-21-2010, 12:24 AM   #70
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm still going to go for it. The lakes are a destination I've been looking at since before I moved up. I found this website and have wanted to go ever since. http://www.friendsofthehighlakes.com/lakes.shtml
Old 07-21-2010, 06:34 AM   #71
redog1
KLR650-2009

I'm still game, won't know if it's with-in my ability...

Quote:
I'm still going to go for it. The lakes are a destination I've been looking at since before I moved up. I found this website and have wanted to go ever since. http://www.friendsofthehighlakes.com/lakes.shtml
until I get there. I know there's a lot of four wheeling up that way and I've always wanted to get up there also, whether or not on the bike, I don't know. Could fire up the jeep, it's up in Magalia . Hey, if it's not doable then we'll go find someplace else to ride.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #72
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm still going to go for it. The lakes are a destination I've been looking at since before I moved up. I found this website and have wanted to go ever since.

Ummmmmm strong in the force is this one

If you go alone be careful.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #73
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 318
Thanks for posting that slide show. I have watched it over and over. The part described as just beyond the snow seems to be about the knarlyist section. Are there just a few sections like those shown on the slides- showcasing the worst or is much of the trail beyond the snow like that?
Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #74
Redline
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch
Thanks for posting that slide show. I have watched it over and over. The part described as just beyond the snow seems to be about the knarlyist section. Are there just a few sections like those shown on the slides- showcasing the worst or is much of the trail beyond the snow like that?
Chuck
It's intermittent Chuck. Some pretty easy, some more like that. Like others have said, just go and see what you think. You can always turn around. I didn't post about the rocky sections to dissuade anyone, just trying to give a friendly heads up.

Cheers...Jason
Old 07-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #75
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's intermittent Chuck. Some pretty easy, some more like that. Like others have said, just go and see what you think. You can always turn around. I didn't post about the rocky sections to dissuade anyone, just trying to give a friendly heads up.
Damn the torpedos! Full speed ahead Captain!

Still havent figured out if I can ride this weekend. Dang I want to though