ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #796
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,724
I know where my REI dividend is going. Thanks for the information. Been kinda wanting a spot or something for a while. This seems just the ticket!

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #797
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 700
Pictures from Two different rides

These First set of pictures are from Colyear Springs road, with the "Short cuts", the second set of pictures is from Ponderosa way to Black Rock.

I decided to get a little adventurous and try some of the "short cuts".

this was the point of no return:

another start of a steep downhill:

stopped to assess the last steep down hill-the pictures still don't do it justice:

Walking back up the last hill-you can see my bike at the top:

These Second set of pictures are from the ride to Black Rock- I went on Friday.

the road from the South to Black Rock is much nicer (wider,less steep,less rocky)then the road from the North.
I kept heading south just to explore it and came to a "T" in the road,with a sign that said Highway 32 18miles, I turned around to head back home at that point because of time.
My motorcycle is 5000 times faster then a centipede!

KyoXR screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 02:56 AM
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #798
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
Looks awesome! I look forward to some rides "down south"....
Old 03-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #799
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Great pictures KYOxR. I have been to and thru Black Rock a few times but could not place any of your locations. Looked to be a nice ride, but sure hope I don't find myself dealing with any of 'your' short-cuts. Seems you have one of the few camera's that can take 'real' shots as to how steep hills are. Those inclines looked to offer a real challenge.

Perhaps you were on part of the old Lassen Trail when you saw directions back to highway 32. Seems most routes now are gated logging roads, though as I recall, a bit beyond the old 'Transfer Station' there is a access to the old Lassen Trail. Thanks for sharing your adventure, I will try to do likewise. Gerry
mrgizmow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #800
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Kyoxr,

Did you take plum creek road or hogsback? Looks like a great trip, I want to do a bunch of riding out there this spring/summer!
Was there anyone at the campground at Mill Creek?
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:07 AM   #801
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmow View Post
Great pictures KYOxR. I have been to and thru Black Rock a few times but could not place any of your locations

Perhaps you were on part of the old Lassen Trail when you saw directions back to highway 32. though as I recall, a bit beyond the old 'Transfer Station' there is a access to the old Lassen Trail. Gerry
Ok, sorry, I didn't clarify that the set of pictures are from two different rides, I edited my post to help clarify,
the first set of pictures with the "short cuts"
are from Colyear Springs Rd and the second set of pictures are of course from the trip to Black Rock.
I quickly looked at Google Earth and saw "Old Lassen Trail" that was connecting to Highway 32,so yeah, you called it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobus View Post
Kyoxr,

Did you take plum creek road or hogsback? Looks like a great trip, I want to do a bunch of riding out there this spring/summer!
Was there anyone at the campground at Mill Creek?
I took 36 from Red Bluff/Panes Creek/Plum creek/Ponderosa way.
there was one truck at the Campground at Mill Creek, looks like a nice place to camp.
Oh, if only Hogsback was smoother, I would much rather jump on Hogsback from Red Bluff then take 36 but 25 miles of rock just isn't very appealing.

KyoXR screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 03:25 AM
Old 03-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #802
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post

I took 36 from Red Bluff/Panes Creek/Plum creek/Ponderosa way.
there was one truck at the Campground at Mill Creek, looks like a nice place to camp.
Oh, if only Hogsback was smoother, I would much rather jump on Hogsback from Red Bluff then take 36 but 25 miles of rock just isn't very appealing.
I spent all day Thurs. off road by Mill & Dye Creeks. Still can't believe how rough this country is. Other than Hawaii, where on earth would you find country like this?
Old 03-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #803
DowDuer
!rn00b-aK

Oddometer: 214
Quote:

I spent all day Thurs. off road by Mill & Dye Creeks. Still can't believe how rough this country is. Other than Hawaii, where on earth would you find country like this?
The commonality being volcanic activity? I am going to go with MT. St. Helens.

I got the new header for my bike put on, still sounds funny but is a lot quieter.
DowDuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #804
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowDuer View Post
The commonality being volcanic activity? I am going to go with MT. St. Helens.

I got the new header for my bike put on, still sounds funny but is a lot quieter.
I was at Mt. St. Helens one year after the event. I didn't see the Lava Cap or thrown rocks like around here. This stuff is just nasty.

Great on the bike, maybe we can go on a ride next weekend?
Old 03-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #805
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Quote:
every time I see this terrain around here I can't help but think that If we were around when this was happening that we would all probably be dead or at least vacated to somewhere far away,
more then likely we couldn't have gotten close enough to see Black Rock forming either,the power of this planet is staggering.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #806
DowDuer
!rn00b-aK

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
I was at Mt. St. Helens one year after the event. I didn't see the Lava Cap or thrown rocks like around here. This stuff is just nasty.

Great on the bike, maybe we can go on a ride next weekend?
Interesting. What little I know of the local geology is that Lassen and Broke Off were part of Mount Tehama. Then it blew up and scattered 4,000 vertical feet of mountain around. There is a Cinder cone off Wildcat road, that might be the closest volcano, but that doesn't account for the flows.

I could probably ride Saturday but have plans for Easter.
DowDuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #807
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
If you guys go for a ride next weekend I would like to go. Sometimes work throws me a curve but if I would not be intruding I would like to join you guys.... I'll be watching the thread!!
Old 03-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #808
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Road Trip to Almanor

Got together with my Dad today to ride up to Almanor. We took highway 70 to Chester then down 32. Absolutely beautiful...
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

I Highly recommend this place...Who puts bacon between burger patties??? These guys do!

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Your Prob thinking...Burgers from the gas station?? Ya...They are that good

[IMG][/IMG]

I am looking to ride Tuesday after 3pm and Wed morning if anyone isn't working send me a PM.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #809
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Colyear ?

OK, I like the pictures, But. The words "short cuts" is a little mis-represented. all but the last Picture of your Colyear springs trip are not the main road. they are spur roads and fire breaks. These roads are great for dirt bikes but not the bigger adventure Bikes. It is a little steep and a counterclockwise loop would be advised. but If you have a bigger bike don't let these pictures worry you. I ride this loop easy on my 650 Dakar and a 1200 would make it also if you know how to ride at all.

Now as far as going out 36 to plum creek, very smart. I live 1 mile from Hogs Back road. Unless your on a full dirt bike with super suspension It totally sucks. I do it about once every ten years or so, and then curse myself because my chain and sprockets are trashed as well as every other moving part of your bike. It is kinda fun when it is raining cats and dogs because no water soaks in out there and the road becomes a river. So that can be Adventurous.

Oh ya and anyone that comes to my Trials event April 27th and/or 28th can get in for free. Just go to the sign up table and sign a release Tell them Hop-Sing said they could spectator for free. if you want to enter the comp. you will have to pay for that. camping cost are little or nothing Portta potty only, bring your own water.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #810
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Hop-Sing, everytime you post, this is the image that pops to the front of my brain. Maybe because I'm old enough to have watched when I was a kid.
You should be easy to spot at a trials event wearing your brown uniform.