ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #811
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Ahh! You stay out of my kitchen!!!
Old 03-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #812
DowDuer
!rn00b-aK

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
Now as far as going out 36 to plum creek, very smart. I live 1 mile from Hogs Back road. Unless your on a full dirt bike with super suspension It totally sucks.
Hogsback isn't that bad, but it is too rough to be easy and not rough enough to be fun.

I live out by Dairyville.
DowDuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #813
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
OK, I like the pictures, But. The words "short cuts" is a little mis-represented.
Hahaha, If your in a hurry to get back down the mountain they are "short cuts" , they are spur roads and my intent for exploring them was for the time saving they would be doing me as I always get late starts and try to be home by dinner time so I'm on the "timer" a lot. these spur roads cut out a lot of the zig-zag and do almost a strait shot across many of the S-bends in the main road.
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #814
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,778
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowDuer View Post
Hogsback isn't that bad, but it is too rough to be easy and not rough enough to be fun.

I live out by Dairyville.
Rode that road 3 times last year and had a blast each time, Bike seems to like it a little better if you ride it a little faster but it's taken a toll on my arms. Fighting some tendenitus now. It's good stuff. Plan to do more exploring in that area this year.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #815
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Spur Roads

If your a local, those "spur roads" are a favorite riding area known as "The Bowl" the dirt bike riders go out there and park. there is a "bowl" right where they park. It is at the start of colyear springs road.

And its official. If Redog1 says Hogs Back road is "not that bad." then you better be hard core. because He is! Mr. military pass.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #816
redog1
KLR650-2009

Eek No no no!!!!

Quote:
If your a local, those "spur roads" are a favorite riding area known as "The Bowl" the dirt bike riders go out there and park. there is a "bowl" right where they park. It is at the start of colyear springs road.

And its official. If Redog1 says Hogs Back road is "not that bad." then you better be hard core. because He is! Mr. military pass.
I appreciate the praise or sarcasm whichever that is Hop-Sing but I'm no authority on anything but myself. , amusing though.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #817
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
It's praise, when I first meet you it only took me about ten miles to see you are not a rookie. you where coming in on 36 from the coast with a friend. Knoobie tires and loaded with camping gear. I had never seen anyone trust Knoobies on the pavement like it before.
Then after riding around Mt Shasta with you and you being bummed because the group missed the Military pass road that we had heard was near impassable. What does Redog1 do, camp out and try again in the morning. So yea the Redog1 can ride.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #818
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Nice avatar Hop-Sing, laughing my ass off!

So, anybody up for Cohassat to Red Bluff via the Ponderosa Friday? Thinking of getting out of work early and be up at the Cohassat store around 11:00, weather looks to be upper 70's and I'm tired of reading about everyone else riding and me not.

And what would the Ponderosa be without the Hop-Sing? Drag your butt down and we will avoid the Demon Hogsback and go out through Plum Creek Road. Or if you prefer I'll be your Hogsback Huckelberry.
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:23 AM   #819
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
Rode that road 3 times last year and had a blast each time, Bike seems to like it a little better if you ride it a little faster but it's taken a toll on my arms. Fighting some tendenitus now. It's good stuff. Plan to do more exploring in that area this year.
About how long does it take you to go through?
do you pop out Plum creek and just take the pavement back home or?

P.S. (Hop-Sing) thanks for the freebee invitation to the trials event.
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:02 AM   #820
redog1
KLR650-2009

I appreciate the praise...

Quote:
It's praise, when I first meet you it only took me about ten miles to see you are not a rookie. you where coming in on 36 from the coast with a friend. Knoobie tires and loaded with camping gear. I had never seen anyone trust Knoobies on the pavement like it before.
Then after riding around Mt Shasta with you and you being bummed because the group missed the Military pass road that we had heard was near impassable. What does Redog1 do, camp out and try again in the morning. So yea the Redog1 can ride.
But here's me on Military Pass Road that day.

I hate sand!

A lot of miles for me on that bike with knobbies on it. I know my limits and trust the bike. I was pushing to the edge of the limits with the load I had when you were following me. My buddy Lionsroaar is a much better rider than I am.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:04 AM   #821
redog1
KLR650-2009

I'd be all over this but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobus View Post
Nice avatar Hop-Sing, laughing my ass off!

So, anybody up for Cohassat to Red Bluff via the Ponderosa Friday? Thinking of getting out of work early and be up at the Cohassat store around 11:00, weather looks to be upper 70's and I'm tired of reading about everyone else riding and me not.

And what would the Ponderosa be without the Hop-Sing? Drag your butt down and we will avoid the Demon Hogsback and go out through Plum Creek Road. Or if you prefer I'll be your Hogsback Huckelberry.
I have to work Friday and Saturday, chores to do Sunday.
Have a great ride.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #822
redog1
KLR650-2009

Door to door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
About how long does it take you to go through?
do you pop out Plum creek and just take the pavement back home or?

P.S. (Hop-Sing) thanks for the freebee invitation to the trials event.
Takes me about 6 hours, steady pace with stopping for pics. Can't remember how many miles, it's in one of my RR's on the ride. I think around 140. Ponderosa does hit Plum Creek Rd.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #823
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Took a short rude yesterday solo. My route was Hwy 32 to Crown Point rd to Doe Mill rd to Garland/Doe Mill down to Butte Creek then back up to Magalia and Powelton Rd. down the Skyway to Nimshew and then down Centervill rd and back home. A 47 mile round trip.

The ATK is a real runner and I now have figured out I have a lot of bike for the trails. I'm learning to ride differently now I don't have 450#'s to contend with......lol

Lots if great scenery.....

This is somewhere on Doe Mill

These shots are at the Butte Creek bridge

This is on Centerville rd up high after jumping off Nimshew rd. lots of nice wild flowers and a great view of the valley

When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #824
redog1
KLR650-2009

very nice Bob,

You starting to get used to the power yet?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #825
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 320
Hop Sing Trials Event

Quote:
Oh ya and anyone that comes to my Trials event April 27th and/or 28th can get in for free. Just go to the sign up table and sign a release Tell them Hop-Sing said they could spectator for free. if you want to enter the comp. you will have to pay for that. camping cost are little or nothing Portta potty only, bring your own water.
Glad to hear this is happening. Will it be at the same place as last year. If so, for those of us not riding a trials bike and hiking to view the action at some of the higher locations, will you have oxygen available? Climbing those hills in full riding gear is hard on an old guy!

I happened on the activity by chance last year when I was out for a ride. I only observed the action at a couple of sections. Other than completely destroying any illusions I had about pocessing off-road riding skills it was a very interesting, entertaining, and inspiring event to watch. I hope to make it out again this year.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote