ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #826
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
Brien

Yes but it is intimidating. Learning to break the back end loose to start a turn then letting it hook up and on the gas.

I want to do Deer Creek again just to try and hit that really hard section again, next time hit it on the gas and not stall out. Last time I was with Bob I didn't recognize we're I was and stalled it out.

When I'm on the gas the bike is easy. It's just jumping from the slow crawl to being on the power that is kinda scary because it takes off so quickly.
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #827
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Nice Pics Bob. I take that route quite a bit when I'm short on time but need to get out...Plus its really easy to add Jordan Hill Rd onto that same route for a little longer ride. Those Pics from Doe Mill rd just before the bridge is one of my favorite spots. Those rocks on the left seem to always be wet..Like an oil sheen or something, they are trippy.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #828
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobus View Post
Nice avatar Hop-Sing, laughing my ass off!

So, anybody up for Cohassat to Red Bluff via the Ponderosa Friday? Thinking of getting out of work early and be up at the Cohassat store around 11:00, weather looks to be upper 70's and I'm tired of reading about everyone else riding and me not.

And what would the Ponderosa be without the Hop-Sing? Drag your butt down and we will avoid the Demon Hogsback and go out through Plum Creek Road. Or if you prefer I'll be your Hogsback Huckelberry.
I'm in the middle between Chico and RedBluff, so if someone would rather start out of Red Bluff that will work for me too...
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #829
DowDuer
!rn00b-aK

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
I'm in the middle between Chico and RedBluff, so if someone would rather start out of Red Bluff that will work for me too...
Friday, Saturday, or both? If I can wear out this these Kendas before Mendo then I can try the Shinko's up there.

Do you want to do East one day and West the other?
DowDuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #830
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowDuer View Post
Friday, Saturday, or both? If I can wear out this these Kendas before Mendo then I can try the Shinko's up there.

Do you want to do East one day and West the other?
Ride? How long and when? I have about 100 mile range before I desperately need fuel.
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Old 03-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #831
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Tosi View Post
Ride? How long and when? I have about 100 mile range before I desperately need fuel.
If you go we could start at Cohassat, my plan was to ride all the way thru to 36 and down to Red Bluff. I think it may actually be quicker than going on Hogsback which may be a shorter distance.
I just got a one gallon rotopax from RG Bob last week that I can pack along if need be, my drz is only good for about 130miles ish...
Old 03-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #832
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

How do you get to 36 once you cross deer creek? I'm assuming of course we drop down into deer creek from the heli pad.

If I don't take the kid turkey hunting sat I could go then
Old 03-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #833
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Bob, where Plum Creek meets Hwy 36 it at Paynes Creek. Basicly going all the way to the north end of Ponderosa Way.

Dow, I can't go on Saturday or Sunday, working on the ranch and a friend's car for the whole weekend. I'll give you a call tonight.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #834
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
Takes me about 6 hours, steady pace with stopping for pics. Can't remember how many miles, it's in one of my RR's on the ride. I think around 140. Ponderosa does hit Plum Creek Rd.
I'm going to go ahead and clarify what I was asking ,this was in reference to going through Hogs back from Red Bluff to Plum Creek,
I personally don't have a time reference because when I went on my motorcycle I got a flat half way through and didn't have a tire patch kit w/me at the time, (I just bought the bike-still had stock tires on it), I took the first road back to Plum Creek and then hobbled it home, I ended up riding 60 miles(ish) on a rear flat, destroyed the tube/rim liner, one of the first things I then bought for my motorcycle was a patch kit and a spare tube and tire inflation device! because riding that far on a flat really isn't that much fun...
My motorcycle is 5000 times faster then a centipede!
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #835
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
I'm going to go ahead and clarify what I was asking ,this was in reference to going through Hogs back from Red Bluff to Plum Creek,
I personally don't have a time reference because when I went on my motorcycle I got a flat half way through and didn't have a tire patch kit w/me at the time, (I just bought the bike-still had stock tires on it), I took the first road back to Plum Creek and then hobbled it home, I ended up riding 60 miles(ish) on a rear flat, destroyed the tube/rim liner, one of the first things I then bought for my motorcycle was a patch kit and a spare tube and tire inflation device! because riding that far on a flat really isn't that much fun...
If it helps, I think Dow and I stopped 3 times and it took us about 1.5 hours from the Gas station on Antelope to Plum Creek, didn't someone say it was a bit over 25 miles? Maybe he will chime in. Seems like we were moving at a pretty good pace over the rocks, but I'm feable minded and believe that I'm still as fast as I was at 18....
Old 03-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #836
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
I would have to agree with 00bus...

I think the first time I rode it with Lucasleader it was about 2 hours from the time we left Hwy 99 to Hwy 36.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #837
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Bob, where Plum Creek meets Hwy 36 it at Paynes Creek. Basicly going all the way to the north end of Ponderosa Way.

Dow, I can't go on Saturday or Sunday, working on the ranch and a friend's car for the whole weekend. I'll give you a call tonight.
Still not understanding where that is but I'm guessing we go through Cohasset all the way down to the creek and up the back side into the Ishi wilderness and hang a left at the top if the hill.,....

Maybe that's why they call it Adventure riding.....
Old 03-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #838
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Tosi View Post
Still not understanding where that is but I'm guessing we go through Cohasset all the way down to the creek and up the back side into the Ishi wilderness and hang a left at the top if the hill.,....

Maybe that's why they call it Adventure riding.....
From my understanding:
Cohasset to the end
Down the hill
Head North
Hit Black Rock
Keep heading North
End up at 36 @ Paynes Creek

Sounds easy right? If we don't check in on Saturday send out the Corpse Dogs. Worst case is Dow is younger/quicker than I and he uses my finely marbled desk-sitter body to survive on until somebody stumbles upon him.

I've got a GPS and a phone w/gps. We both have FS maps.
I thought you had done this ride but came out on Hogsback?
Old 03-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #839
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
If you go we could start at Cohassat, my plan was to ride all the way thru to 36 and down to Red Bluff. I think it may actually be quicker than going on Hogsback which may be a shorter distance.
I just got a one gallon rotopax from RG Bob last week that I can pack along if need be, my drz is only good for about 130miles ish...

Here is the route for reference...Its an awesome trip..Can't wait to ride it again
http://
View Larger Map <<<<<<<<<<< CLICK HERE TO ZOOM IN AND OUT OF THE MAP
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #840
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Hogsback Highway

Perhaps this part of Hogsback should be referred to as the 'Autobahn'. Many years ago when Ed was alive, he led a group of Mt. bikers on a loop from Chico up over Hogsback, down through Black rock, up to Cohassat and back down to Chico. As I recall, the group was a pretty even mix of Men and Women. Most in their mid thirties. This was way before any suspension systems were available. I am still in contact with a couple of these folks, and that ride is one they will never forget............. Any of you guys have an old Honda CT 90? Gerry.

mrgizmow is offline   Reply With Quote