ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #841
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmow View Post
Perhaps this part of Hogsback should be referred to as the 'Autobahn'. Many years ago when Ed was alive, he led a group of Mt. bikers on a loop from Chico up over Hogsback, down through Black rock, up to Cohassat and back down to Chico. As I recall, the group was a pretty even mix of Men and Women. Most in their mid thirties. This was way before any suspension systems were available. I am still in contact with a couple of these folks, and that ride is one they will never forget............. Any of you guys have an old Honda CT 90? Gerry.

That looks tasty!
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #842
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobus View Post
If it helps, I think Dow and I stopped 3 times and it took us about 1.5 hours from the Gas station on Antelope to Plum Creek, didn't someone say it was a bit over 25 miles? Maybe he will chime in. Seems like we were moving at a pretty good pace over the rocks, but I'm feable minded and believe that I'm still as fast as I was at 18....
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
I think the first time I rode it with Lucasleader it was about 2 hours from the time we left Hwy 99 to Hwy 36.
Yes, that does help a lot.thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
Here is the route for reference...Its an awesome trip..Can't wait to ride it again
http://
View Larger Map <<<<<<<<<<< CLICK HERE TO ZOOM IN AND OUT OF THE MAP
That road off of Ponderosa way to Little Giant Mill Rd is OPEN??? I have been going up and down Ponderosa way for around 35 years and always thought it was a gated logging road...I'm going to have to check it out now.
My motorcycle is 5000 times faster then a centipede!
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #843
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Trials event

Hey if any of you guys want to be an official checker. I could arrange that. It is easy to learn how and I would probably have someone helping to get you started. Its just voluntary work but does come with a lunch.

You can stand literally inches from the completion.

event Flyer at
www.sactopits.org

look for flyer Heading, and then Rocky Ridge.

Saturday event begins at noon and Sunday starts at 10.
About 3 to 4 hours. I would get there early by an hour or so to find your way around.

April 27th and 28th
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #844
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Cold, Bumps.

Stories from Hogs Back rd.
Once I broke a chain at the very end of Hogs Back rd.
I was young, and with a friend. only thing we could find to use as a tow rope was barb wire. I held onto it with my hand because I wanted to have control if things started going bad. I used my shirt and wrapped it around my hand. It was slow going but we made it home. Hogs back road and the Sacramento river have things in common. looking at Hogs Back road is nice. riding it not so much. Sacramento river is beautiful but try swimming in it. After a mile you will wish for something better.

Here is my beloved Hogs Back Rd
Old 03-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #845
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Ah yes Hop-Sing, when we were young. Your problem solving was very impressive and in those situations you need to adapt to use whatever is at hand. Thanks, I enjoyed the short story and the picture. Hogsback ain't the Widow Maker, but certainly an expanse that needs to be trod upon with a bit of caution. Given the rocks, my concern was that a fall would likely mean a broken wrist, but then my forks had less than 6 inches of travel. Gerry
mrgizmow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #846
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Ah, give the Hogsback some love, it is like the old guys that post on here:

Weathered
Rough around the edges
Way too many bumps and hard stones
People are always intriguiged with it, but are afraid to approach

Finished our ride today from Cohassat to Red Bluff, and no we did not try the wretched road of the Hog, went out on Plum Creek.

Never have seen it before, and that is one Big Ass Black Rock! Absolutly beautiful day, you guys missed out!

Oh, and my pinche coulo is very tired.....
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #847
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
My mistake Kyo. That route should have stayed on Ponderosa way and not gotten to little Giant. I am unsure what that road looks like. I am however definately interested in exploreing that whole area..It looks really nice with a lot of dirt right off 36 both North and south.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:36 PM   #848
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
We got turkeys in the roost so no riding for me. Taking my son out for opening day tomorrow.
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #849
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
My mistake Kyo. That route should have stayed on Ponderosa way and not gotten to little Giant. I am unsure what that road looks like. I am however definately interested in exploreing that whole area..It looks really nice with a lot of dirt right off 36 both North and south.
That sounds like a good area to check out backroads in.

Ive been out thrashing the 200KTM too much to get the 530 out any lately.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:57 PM   #850
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
Stories from Hogs Back rd.
Once I broke a chain at the very end of Hogs Back rd.
I was young, and with a friend. only thing we could find to use as a tow rope was barb wire. I held onto it with my hand because I wanted to have control if things started going bad. I used my shirt and wrapped it around my hand. It was slow going but we made it home. Hogs back road and the Sacramento river have things in common. looking at Hogs Back road is nice. riding it not so much. Sacramento river is beautiful but try swimming in it. After a mile you will wish for something better.

Here is my beloved Hogs Back Rd
I remember water skiing in the Sac as a kid,marveling at the gravel bars as I zipped over them on skis.

Sometimes in less then 2 feet of water,that coulda hurt
Old 03-29-2013, 11:05 PM   #851
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmow View Post
Perhaps this part of Hogsback should be referred to as the 'Autobahn'. Many years ago when Ed was alive, he led a group of Mt. bikers on a loop from Chico up over Hogsback, down through Black rock, up to Cohassat and back down to Chico. As I recall, the group was a pretty even mix of Men and Women. Most in their mid thirties. This was way before any suspension systems were available. I am still in contact with a couple of these folks, and that ride is one they will never forget............. Any of you guys have an old Honda CT 90? Gerry.

I wonder how long that took on bicycles?

Ed was a classic,I rode with him a fair amount with Chico Velo.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #852
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
well, none the less, I'm now intrigued to check that out to see if there is a gate or not the next time I go up.
My motorcycle is 5000 times faster then a centipede!
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #853
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Gates

Little Giant Mill road is not gated. Again road names sometimes get the best of me. In my mind Plum Creek road and Little Giant Mill road. and Hogs back road all meet together. there is a Christmas tree farm right about there. All three roads come together within a couple of miles. Now at the Christmas tree farm on Plum creek the road going South is your road toward Chico. There is another road back down Hogs back that will take you there as well and that road is rougher. [Lower slab, upper slab] although the upper slab is now a bridge. The gates in this area are closed for different reason then most road closers. It has to do more with the deer migration than anything else.{I am talking about ishi wildlife area}. Get up the hill a little farther and you run into the lumber co property. these roads are open most of the time and are usually easy to get around if your an outlaw or have a few days to sit in jail. I trespass freely as long as I am not hurting anything I live with myself happy and if they want me to go to jail, its just a vacation with free meals.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #854
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Hogs Back in the spring. eight miles out there is a nude area that all the local hot chicks hang out at. It's the real reason I tell people not to go out there. They always have lots of ice cold beer to offer.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #855
Foot dragger
singletracker

There are local chicks out there? They have a particular rockpile they hang out at or maybe a cow watering tank? All nice girls Im sure.

Either way, I havent ridden over to Blackrock from Chico in quite a while.

I did it once in a small 4x4 truck and it took forever bouncing through rocks and ruts,cages are slow and somewhat boring.