ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #916
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
The gate to Shasta Bally is usually locked until early June. Beautiful views from up there, interesting climb, go from lake level to 6300 ft in just a few miles. I go at least once a year, when the gate opens....
Is the gate locked because of snow/erosion concern or someone just too lazy to go up and unlock it? ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
Easy road , the last 1/4 mile to the lookout, I would walk if I went again. I was on my Dakar and loaded with some old brake fluid. I went from buckhorn summit through to the Ditch grade road. that end is bully schoop. Now I see I am lost.

Shasta Bally : You talking about up past sheep camp, starting at Brandy creek. Same thing. except I thought that road had washed out and they where not going to fix it.

So now will someone tell us more. because we want more. we don't want less we want more, we want more. anyone following me ?
this just leaves me with more questions, looking at Google earth there seems to be tv/radio antennas up there on the hill so I doubt they aren't going to fix a washed out road that accesses the antennas? unless we are talking about two different places? from the Park map I am looking at looks like it does go past sheep camp, starting at Brandy creek.
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:59 AM   #917
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
I think it is due to snow. Even into July you can usually find enough snow for a good snowball fight. The road gets very silty over the winter, don't ask me why, but the FS usually does some road work in June too. The road is fun, lots of large whoopties on the way up with some ruts and tight, steep cutbacks and lets not forget the silt. Anyone with moderate skills should have no problem though.
It's not like you can't get past the gate, it is locked with a "road closed" sign on it... I would just rather not piss off the FS. I know the lake is under Federal jurisdiction, not sure of the surrounding forest......
Old 05-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #918
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

maybe I will just wait for the next free park day, or is that a road that you don't have to pay to get to?
Old 05-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #919
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

If you ride your bike I wouldn't worry about it....
Old 05-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #920
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 320
Once tourist season picks up there is often a Ranger collecting entrance fees right at the visitor center entrance to the park. There is access from the back side off of Muletown Road, I have a lifetime pass but often enter from Placer to Muletown. The silt Brian describes turns to powder in the summer.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #921
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

OK Chuck, I was pretty impressed with your performance off road on the big GS... Are you saying you muscled it up Shasta Bally? Awesome! I have never seen the rangers collecting at the visitors center but it doesn't surprise me. I guess I never thought about it. Unless I am parked or using the park facilities I never worry about it... Mule town also has a cut off trail that brings you out close to the Bally gate. You can come in from the powerhouse road too and miss all the crowds...

SkiBumBrian screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 06:12 PM
SkiBumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #922
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
OK Chuck, I was pretty impressed with your performance off road on the big GS... Are you saying you muscled it up Shasta Bally?
Yes, I have had the GS up there a couple of times. It is not all that much fun on that bike. I ride it pretty slowly when there aren't a few other people around to help pick it up when I have an off.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #923
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Crazy man, crazy.... That has to be a chore!! Anyone thinking of coming up this way let me know, would like you ride with you guys...
Old 05-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #924
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,778
Some random pics...

...from the last 2 Sunday's riding with BanhXeo. A lot of different roads, just out exploring side roads and seeing where the snow is. High Lakes won't be ridable for a few weeks yet.
Rode 70R, 90R, Browns Ravine, Retson, A-Line, Powelton, Head Dam, etc...
All over the place.

Mt Lassen throught the haze.

Looking down from Bald Mtn. Lookout.

Manzanita in bloom

Creek

Dogwood in bloom

A couple of more creeks.

Rocks.

More Dogwood

Termites going to town on this log, keep up the good work.

You'll have the road open in no time.

Jeramie

Lastly...to the left, the Panther fire looking towards Butte Meadows, Mt. Lassen to the right.

Had some good riding, Fun stuff. Thanks Jeramie.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #925
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Brien, you rock. Taking a ride up though Igo, up Muletown, then see if the gate is open to Shasta Bally. I will GoPro it just so all can see... If not might take East rd to Trinity Mtn and back through the OHV. Anyone that would like to go is welcome !!
Old 05-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #926
redog1
KLR650-2009

Thanks Brian...

Got to get you down here to do some riding once High Lakes opens up.
That last pic I posted, just missed getting Mt. Lassen in the pic. Zoomed in all of the way to get the fire. You can see Lassen in the fist pic I posted of it.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #927
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,773
Head Dam......... a friend dropped his bike in the flume up by Head Dam one winter,it got lodged and he had to walk out and come back with his Toyota and winch and drag it out. Good times!

I had the DR650 out Sunday,rode above Concow and here and there,snow should be melted off up at Ramsey's bar soon if not already.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

DR will be loaded up and off to Rio Nido this Fri through Sunday,going through Covelo,etc to make it interesting getting there,lots of good backroads between here and there.

Rio Nido is a fun ADV campout in the redwoods,friendly folks great place to hang out and do dayrides out of.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #928
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Since thunderstorms and rain are predicted for today I let my fingers do the walking. I called the Whiskeytown ranger office and asked about the Shasta Bally gate. They told me they are hoping to have it open this month but no guarantees.... I will continue to check back and post when they open it.
Brien, I do look forward to a High Lakes venture, just let me know and I will MAKE the time! Great pics....
Old 05-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #929
redog1
KLR650-2009

Thumb Will do...

Look forward to it.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #930
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
...from the last 2 Sunday's riding with BanhXeo. A lot of different roads, just out exploring side roads and seeing where the snow is. High Lakes won't be ridable for a few weeks yet.
Rode 70R, 90R, Browns Ravine, Retson, A-Line, Powelton, Head Dam, etc...
All over the place.
Mt Lassen throught the haze.
Looking down from Bald Mtn. Lookout.
Manzanita in bloom
Creek
Dogwood in bloom
A couple of more creeks.
Rocks.
More Dogwood
Termites going to town on this log, keep up the good work.
You'll have the road open in no time.
Lastly...to the left, the Panther fire looking towards Butte Meadows, Mt. Lassen to the right.
Had some good riding, Fun stuff. Thanks Jeramie.
Cool pics and captions

Quote:
Since thunderstorms and rain are predicted for today I let my fingers do the walking. I called the Whiskeytown ranger office and asked about the Shasta Bally gate. They told me they are hoping to have it open this month but no guarantees.... I will continue to check back and post when they open it.
Brien, I do look forward to a High Lakes venture, just let me know and I will MAKE the time! Great pics....
Thanks for looking into that, I almost decided to head up that way today but then I realized that I didn't have any maps uploaded and I haven't been up that way in many years, so I decided to head up to Tom Head lookout because I figured the snow would be gone and it was which brings me to the part about why the gate is still locked at Shasta Bally when I doubt there is any snow up there, according to Google earth the highest point is 6100ft and I was higher then that at Tom Head and no snow to be found. Maybe road repair? but I doubt it.