ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #976
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 347
Plastic Welding in Chico?

I have some BMW saddlebags that have developed cracks. The best repair method is reportedly plastic welding. I have struck out finding anyone doing that in Redding. The staff at Ozzie's said someone in Chico is doing this but couldn't remember who. They said he mainly replaces tabs on fairings and other motorcycle type work. Anyone know who this is?

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #977
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
I have some BMW saddlebags that have developed cracks. The best repair method is reportedly plastic welding. I have struck out finding anyone doing that in Redding. The staff at Ozzie's said someone in Chico is doing this but couldn't remember who. They said he mainly replaces tabs on fairings and other motorcycle type work. Anyone know who this is?

Chuck
What type of material is it? How big is the crack? You could try a small needle to pump epoxy into the crack and clp them together.
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #978
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Tosi View Post
What type of material is it? How big is the crack? You could try a small needle to pump epoxy into the crack and clp them together.
Thanks for the suggestion Bob. The crack is not open at all. I don't know the type of plastic used in these bags. In fact I don't know the first thing about the different types of plastic. There is supposed to be numbers somewhere on the part that will identify the plastic exactly. Some people have reported success using a mesh patch and plastic epoxy on the inside. The welding is supposed to be a better repair but I may resort to the patch if no one knows who does the welding in Chico.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #979
DowDuer
!rn00b-aK

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post

Chuck
I think John Lockwasher in Proberta knows how to do that.
DowDuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #980
Klrcharlie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
So can anyone suggest a good ride did the Humbug rd and Humbolt rd last weekend looking for an other adventure what about Ponderosa way? Give me some ideas.
Klrcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #981
Austin3184
SUMO 4 LYFE

Oddometer: 3
Im getting my Drz400sm next week, anyone have a Supermoto and wana go for a ride? Message me =)
Austin3184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #982
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Anyone riding

Anyone riding this weekend. thinking about it, just haven't made any plans with the family yet. so I might get away. I am keeping my eye on some low temps out in Trinity Co. Freeze warning tonight in Hayfork and Weaverville.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #983
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
Anyone riding this weekend. thinking about it, just haven't made any plans with the family yet. so I might get away. I am keeping my eye on some low temps out in Trinity Co. Freeze warning tonight in Hayfork and Weaverville.
If you head up into Trinity County let me know I might meet up and follow you!
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #984
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:

I'm thinking about going up 36 to Chester for Lunch and coming back down 70, getting a beer at Scottys and back home. Put the supermoto setup back on my bike, so can't venture too far off the asphalt...
Probably Sunday or Monday.
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #985
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Route plans

I heard Lassen will open this weekend. I take 36 to 89 through the park. then come back down 44 to Viola and take a dirt road called the Viola Mineral road back to 36. {its about 20 miles}. Then come home. that's a short ride of just over three hours from my house which is at the foothill of Hogsback Rd. Or we could then hit the twisties from Mineral past camp Tehama and hit 36 at childs meadows and hit 32 back down the hill.

The Twisties between Childs Meadows and Mineral are some of the best in Northern California. I recommend hitting them in that direction as you can stay off the brakes a little better while gaining elevation. I could go up there and just ride that, round and round.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #986
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
I heard Lassen will open this weekend. I take 36 to 89 through the park. then come back down 44 to Viola and take a dirt road called the Viola Mineral road back to 36. {its about 20 miles}. Then come home. that's a short ride of just over three hours from my house which is at the foothill of Hogsback Rd. Or we could then hit the twisties from Mineral past camp Tehama and hit 36 at childs meadows and hit 32 back down the hill.

The Twisties between Childs Meadows and Mineral are some of the best in Northern California. I recommend hitting them in that direction as you can stay off the brakes a little better while gaining elevation. I could go up there and just ride that, round and round.
Sounds good! We can meet up at your place or the Gas Station on Antelope right before 36. If your interested, I'll call my stepbrotherish and see if he is going to be at his ranch in Viola, we can make a quick stop in and say hello on the way thru (you may know him). Pick whatever day works best for you, Sunday or Monday or send me pm an/or give me a call. I can be an early riser if need be.
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #987
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
Interested in a ride this weekend, but less pounding pavement. A ride in your guys' area or up here is fine with me. I checked the website and it says Shasta Bally is still closed but lots of other routes to take. I would like to see some of the trails toward Chico and East though. Anyone up for it let me know. Any day at this point week or weekend (long story)..
Old 05-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #988
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
Website said closed but I called and Shasta Bally opened the day before yesterday. Anyone up for a snowball fight? Lol. Still open to any ride but hitting SB early is a hoot!
Old 05-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #989
DowDuer
!rn00b-aK

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobus View Post
Sounds good! We can meet up at your place or the Gas Station on Antelope right before 36. If your interested, I'll call my stepbrotherish and see if he is going to be at his ranch in Viola, we can make a quick stop in and say hello on the way thru (you may know him). Pick whatever day works best for you, Sunday or Monday or send me pm an/or give me a call. I can be an early riser if need be.
If I am around I might be interested, probably going to see 'The Girl' or my buddy's house in Kern county, which has a trail or two...
DowDuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #990
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
So my plan to Drive down to Modesto to pick up my new F8 then ride it home today fell through...Apparently the wifey needs to sign off on a section of the cosigner page. She works like 85 hrs a week so getting her to take off today was a no go and I had coordinated both my jobs so that I had the whole day today. Well long story short the sales manager down there has family here in Chico so he offered to tow it up her for me no charge and we can sign off on it up here. Back in business!

I was doing a firmware update for my Delorme satellite communicator and came across a good video for their new product shipping soon. I will be getting one of these and passing my other one to a family member. Take a look.

[IMG][/IMG]

(These units work like SPOT but are 2 way communicators, hence the texts in video, in case you missed my last ramble about this product)
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote