ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #1036
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
A little video of the "B" Loop.
http://youtu.be/2eqUeKa2Eao

A little bit of the "A" Loop.
http://youtu.be/7EcTz5h6AGQ
Old 06-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #1037
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
A and B loops

Thanks for posting your video showing the A and B loops. It gives a good idea of what line my bike would like. 650 Dakar, I could do the "A" but it would be tough and much slower. the "B" looks like the right choice for me if I had to cover much ground. I wore me and my bike out this past weekend and don't think I am going to get my bike ready to take off again this weekend. you all have fun.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #1038
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgarden Bob View Post
A little video of the "B" Loop.
http://youtu.be/2eqUeKa2Eao

A little bit of the "A" Loop.
http://youtu.be/7EcTz5h6AGQ
Yes thanks for the vids,maybe next year if I got things together,I had a bunch of locals doing the Sheetiron also and got lotsa good stuff about their ride.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #1039
Klrcharlie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
B looks like the loop for me getting the bike ready as we speak.
Klrcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #1040
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 675
Ha! small world, I know the guy on the black KTM On the "A" loop video, I wasn't expecting that, I got to see some of the more sketchy stuff from your ride and him laughing as he fell and rolled off that switchback. (feet up in the camera view)

KyoXR screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 12:38 AM
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #1041
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
Ha! small world, I know the guy on the black KTM On the "A" loop video, I wasn't expecting that, I got to see some of the more sketchy stuff from your ride and him laughing as he fell and rolled off that switchback. (feet up in the camera view)
KyoXr, it is amazing sometimes what a small world it is. I've run into guys out in the middle of nowhere Nevada, 60 miles from the nearest pavement, that I know from other rides, always a surprise. Matt, the guy taking the video is a good friend and a great rider who has been on several of my rides and also helps me pre-ride many of the rides. I'll be back up there Monday doing a few final changes to the "A" track. Pre-rode the "B" track last weekend, It was sure nice to be over at the coast for last Saturdays heat wave.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:48 AM   #1042
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 675
The coast was a better place to be for cooler weather, I went up to my friends cabin to help him put in a swamp cooler...it was still about 100 degrees outside,
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #1043
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,044
2013 SoJ Rally

Pre run next Saturday the 22nd for the SoJ rally. Lotsa stopping, notes, checking out CG, etc. All that want to go are welcome. Leaving Redding NLT 8-9 am.... Call or PM. 5302154092
Old 07-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #1044
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
What, you guys are all hunkered down next to the air conditioner?

Going thru Paskenta - Covelo to the Lost Coast the afternoon of the 11th (Thursday) and then riding up the coast to visit my pop's in Brookings. Dow may be coming along as well. Anyone else interested? Leaving my place in Corning about noonish and making a bee-line over the hills.

Hope to get a spot at Fern Canyon for the night. Looking for a few good roads from Covelo to the Coast without spending a lot of time on the 101, I know quite a few of you have explored this area what route would you take? BTW riding a loaded up DRZ with supermoto tires/wheels. Heading back by way of 36 on Sunday.

What say you O wise ones?
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #1045
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobus View Post
What, you guys are all hunkered down next to the air conditioner?

Going thru Paskenta - Covelo to the Lost Coast the afternoon of the 11th (Thursday) and then riding up the coast to visit my pop's in Brookings. Dow may be coming along as well. Anyone else interested? Leaving my place in Corning about noonish and making a bee-line over the hills.

Hope to get a spot at Fern Canyon for the night. Looking for a few good roads from Covelo to the Coast without spending a lot of time on the 101, I know quite a few of you have explored this area what route would you take? BTW riding a loaded up DRZ with supermoto tires/wheels. Heading back by way of 36 on Sunday.

What say you O wise ones?
We just rode Dos Rios rd out of Covelo and you could do it in street tires. That will drop you in Laytonville. From Laytonville maybe Branscomb rd., its paved, to Hwy 1 just north of Westport. (Sherwood Rd Parrallels Hwy 20 to the north a few miles through the mountains and is on my next coast trip agenda. I do not know the full condition of the road however)From there North, I would try to get as close to the coast as possible up to Eureka. You say supermoto wheels so I obviously think find pavement but your riding the ~30 miles or so from Paskenta to Covelo on dirt. Usal rd was easy riding imho. From there You could check out Shelter Cove and Kings Peak rd. to Honeydew and Petrolia. Foot dragger had suggested that as a nice route on our last ride together, I hope he will chime in on the road conditions. I was looking around on Google Maps ( I spend hours there) and Mattole Rd looks like an amazing ride. Its Paved but its in the middle of nowhere and its right on the ocean. Are you going Brookings Thursday night? You mentioned Fern Canyon but thats south of Mendo. Super nice down there though for sure. I'm Jealous to say the least.

Just rode the High Lakes day before yesterday so keep an eye out for a little RR in my STories thread. I forgot how pretty the area is...as well as how rocky and steep it was as well.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188

BanhXeo screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 11:31 PM
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #1046
Klrcharlie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Where is Fern Canyon? Is there a campground there? Sounds fun I live in Corning also.
Klrcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #1047
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrcharlie View Post
Where is Fern Canyon? Is there a campground there? Sounds fun I live in Corning also.

Yea, looks like I got my directions screwed up! Fern Canyon is in Van Damme park south of Mendicino. Little more south than I wanted to go. I'll need to find something north of Arcata. Plan on spending the night on Thursday on the coast, get up at a leasurly pace Friday morning then I'll head up to Brookings to visit my dad.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #1048
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrcharlie View Post
Fern Canyon is located just north of the town of Orick and south of Crescent City. Fern Canyon is at the southern end of Prairie Creek State Park. The road in is doable this time of year on street tires but will keep you on your toes. There is no camping there and you have to hike in a ways to see the Canyon. I am not a great fan of hiking but this is worth the trip if you have time.

I am also am planning to head towards Brookings on Thursday the 11th and will spend the night in Crescent City. I need to be in Brookings Friday morning. I have tentatively planned a different route that involves getting to Callahan via a number of different options that can involve all pavement or some dirt sections as well. From Callahan to Orleans and then take the Bald Hills Road to Orick.

I Find my self going to Crescent for work reasons several times a year and have tried many different routes. My favorite on a bike is to go straight up Highway 3 to Ft. Jones, Scott River Rd. to Hwy 96, Happy Camp to O'Brien, and Hwy 199 into Crescent City. My son and I just did that a couple of weeks ago in our previous record setting heat wave.

Oobus you have set yourself a pretty aggressive agenda if you intend to get to the coast from Covelo and then back to 101 and expect to get as far north as the Orick area. Especially if you don't leave until noon.

The routes I describe are both about 300 miles from Cottonwood to Crescent City and it takes about 8 hours of spirited riding. Having been both ways several times I think the options I listed would be a lot more fun on a supermoto bike and there is a lot less traffic, actually very little.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #1049
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
Fern Canyon is located just north of the town of Orick and south of Crescent City. Fern Canyon is at the southern end of Prairie Creek State Park. The road in is doable this time of year on street tires but will keep you on your toes. There is no camping there and you have to hike in a ways to see the Canyon. I am not a great fan of hiking but this is worth the trip if you have time.

I am also am planning to head towards Brookings on Thursday the 11th and will spend the night in Crescent City. I need to be in Brookings Friday morning. I have tentatively planned a different route that involves getting to Callahan via a number of different options that can involve all pavement or some dirt sections as well. From Callahan to Orleans and then take the Bald Hills Road to Orick.

I Find my self going to Crescent for work reasons several times a year and have tried many different routes. My favorite on a bike is to go straight up Highway 3 to Ft. Jones, Scott River Rd. to Hwy 96, Happy Camp to O'Brien, and Hwy 199 into Crescent City. My son and I just did that a couple of weeks ago in our previous record setting heat wave.

Oobus you have set yourself a pretty aggressive agenda if you intend to get to the coast from Covelo and then back to 101 and expect to get as far north as the Orick area. Especially if you don't leave until noon.

The routes I describe are both about 300 miles from Cottonwood to Crescent City and it takes about 8 hours of spirited riding. Having been both ways several times I think the options I listed would be a lot more fun on a supermoto bike and there is a lot less traffic, actually very little.

Chuck
Chuck,

What time are you headed out? I'm the boss so it's ok if I leave early. Sounds like you would be good person to follow over. My 400 doesn't like the I5 much that's why I was taking side roads.
I called about the camping near Fern Canyon and there are sites, but they are first come first serve and it is dry camping. Somewhat of a crapshoot to get a spot but thought I'd give it a try.

Matt
Old 07-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #1050
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
We just rode Dos Rios rd out of Covelo and you could do it in street tires. That will drop you in Laytonville. From Laytonville maybe Branscomb rd., its paved, to Hwy 1 just north of Westport. (Sherwood Rd Parrallels Hwy 20 to the north a few miles through the mountains and is on my next coast trip agenda. I do not know the full condition of the road however)From there North, I would try to get as close to the coast as possible up to Eureka. You say supermoto wheels so I obviously think find pavement but your riding the ~30 miles or so from Paskenta to Covelo on dirt. Usal rd was easy riding imho. From there You could check out Shelter Cove and Kings Peak rd. to Honeydew and Petrolia. Foot dragger had suggested that as a nice route on our last ride together, I hope he will chime in on the road conditions. I was looking around on Google Maps ( I spend hours there) and Mattole Rd looks like an amazing ride. Its Paved but its in the middle of nowhere and its right on the ocean. Are you going Brookings Thursday night? You mentioned Fern Canyon but thats south of Mendo. Super nice down there though for sure. I'm Jealous to say the least.

Just rode the High Lakes day before yesterday so keep an eye out for a little RR in my STories thread. I forgot how pretty the area is...as well as how rocky and steep it was as well.
I havent ridden Kings Peak road to Honeydew but have been told its a normal gravel road,Honeydew has snacks and cold drinks,interesting locals from the 60's.
From Honeydew on its rough patched pavement with some gravel to Petrolia and then on to the Lost Coast,there's rough camping close to the ocean as the road comes down from the south end of the lost coast.
__________________________________________________ ___________

I rode up to Inskip this morning and checked out the new pavemento heading to Butte Meadows,its coming along with not a lot more to go.
Some nice corners and views.
Im liking the 1250 Bandit I just picked up.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Also just did a 70mile singletrack ride out of Ragdump,8 hours on the KTM200XCW and so worn out I was lucky to finish.
It were fun! Ragdump got 5.5" of rain right before we rode.

Then I led some locals on some of the same trails sat and now they probably hate me some,so it goes.