ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #1066
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Roads

Hey ski bum. when you come out of the park. where 44 and 89 meet.
Viola/mineral road heads to the south. about 24 miles of dirt, will take you into Mineral. so if you are going to circle Lassen this is the closest through road. It starts just a few hundred yards from the 44/89 intersection.
on this road watch out for speeding around, outside off camber turns. It is a good road with some pebbles that can be a bit tricky.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #1067
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
Hey ski bum. when you come out of the park. where 44 and 89 meet.
Viola/mineral road heads to the south. about 24 miles of dirt, will take you into Mineral. so if you are going to circle Lassen this is the closest through road. It starts just a few hundred yards from the 44/89 intersection.
on this road watch out for speeding around, outside off camber turns. It is a good road with some pebbles that can be a bit tricky.
Rode this stretch with my dad a month or so ago. Mostly gravel road. Was in pretty good condition. Pretty neat road with some small streams to check out.

Brien, are you guys headed up Friday night and camping, or Sat night?
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #1068
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,704
Hey Jeramie,

We're heading out around 2pm Friday, plan is to stage at my lot up by Shasta Friday and head out early Saturday morning. If it's hot at the lot we may take off Friday night and look for a cooler spot to stay between Weed and Klamath Falls. Have a great week bud, looking forward to doing some riding with you when we get back. My big focus the last few weeks have been getting ready for this trip and now I'm in the middle of moving. Looks like I'll be moving when I get back but really need to do some riding also.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #1069
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,324
Sunday Ride

I took my streetbike out exploring on Sunday,went out hiway 36 to hiway 3 to Hayfork for breakfast at Irene's place.

Then on up 3 to Callahan,then whipped a left and headed for Cecilville along the Salmon river,pretty cool skinny cliff lined little road along the Salmon.
Pops out eventually on hiway 96 and follows the Klamath river to hiway 299 and Willow Creek for a late lunch.

Or a person could turn rt at 96 and be heading to Happy Camp and go into Oregon.

I took 299 back to 3 at Weaverville and then went to Wildwood on 36 and back home.

It was a BanhXeo sort of ride as far as hours,left at 7AM and got home at 9:15 PM. About 540 miles on the 1250 Suzuki.

Its nice out that way,hardly any people and next to no cars,I did see a 400+ lb bear,he ambled out in ft of me by Cecilville. Huge black shiny beast!

And a peppy little Bobcat gave me the once over on 36,if only I could have got my camera out quicker!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #1070
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Funny thing I started this thread and have been out if the loop for so long. Glad to see everyone keeping up. Work has been unbearable at times thanks to incompetent management of the workload. But that's another topic deserving of a good rant elsewhere.

Hopefully I'll get out there someday soon!
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #1071
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Hey Bob, Just get out and ride!!!!!
There are no acceptable excuses!!!!!
Old 07-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #1072
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,577
Can't beat that Forks of the Salmon area for long steep views,pretty quiet out there now that logging is almost gone,and heck the bluffs on 96 before Hoopa is all 2 lane road now.Glad you had a good ride,I used to spend all my days out in those areas working and a regular at the Rez.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #1073
redog1
KLR650-2009

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgarden Bob View Post
Hey Bob, Just get out and ride!!!!!
There are no acceptable excuses!!!!!
I keep telling him he works tooooooo much. Priorities I guess.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #1074
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Still in forced OT mode. Then of course there's Rancho Costa Lotta
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #1075
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Can't beat that Forks of the Salmon area for long steep views,pretty quiet out there now that logging is almost gone,and heck the bluffs on 96 before Hoopa is all 2 lane road now.Glad you had a good ride,I used to spend all my days out in those areas working and a regular at the Rez.
Its very quiet out that way,its funny there are quite a few camping areas,organized with bathrooms or just camping along the river.
Yet Not many people camping when I go through there.

Good amount of people taking advantage of the really nice and deep swimming areas,some look to be 15' deep or more.
I'll take a tent and camp/swim next time.
There are some nicely banked S turns with sweet pavement on 96 past Hoopa that would be slick on a Moto-GP track!
There's a new owner of the store in Cecilville,re-doing the whole store and will have rental cabins,etc.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #1076
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
I keep telling him he works tooooooo much. Priorities I guess.
Bob's work IS riding,just ask him about his last Adventure up by Dunsmuir/Castle Crags!
Hiking 6 hours in MX boots can be fun for you too! Hes got pictures.

He also has a new Dualsport ride coming up,its called the Shasta something or other,all new routes and should be a great one!
Old 07-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #1077
8lives
Runnin on wonder

yes on lotsa good camping and swim holes,and it is kinda a forgotten part of California,don't forget the road at Weitchepec(169)that ends up on 101 with some good options along the way.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #1078
redog1
KLR650-2009

Wrong Bob,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Bob's work IS riding,just ask him about his last Adventure up by Dunsmuir/Castle Crags!
Hiking 6 hours in MX boots can be fun for you too! Hes got pictures.

He also has a new Dualsport ride coming up,its called the Shasta something or other,all new routes and should be a great one!
RockGardenBob and I are telling Bob Tosi, originator of this thread to get out and ride. I envy RockGardenBob's day job.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #1079
goldenrev
New Dream

Oddometer: 381
Question??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
yes on lotsa good camping and swim holes,and it is kinda a forgotten part of California,don't forget the road at Weitchepec(169)that ends up on 101 with some good options along the way.
Do you have to go south to Willow Creek to get to 101? Recently was in the area... Callahan to Ceciville to Forks of the Salmon then to Somes Bar, then on to 96 to 101 and over to the coast.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #1080
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenrev View Post
Do you have to go south to Willow Creek to get to 101? Recently was in the area... Callahan to Ceciville to Forks of the Salmon then to Somes Bar, then on to 96 to 101 and over to the coast.

96 south to 299 and Willow creek,thenwest to 101,or 169 at weitchipec and go west its a nice quiet drive and 1 option brings you out at Orick or keep on 169 to Klamath.