ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #1096
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
Yeah Chuck, when I just looked on Google maps it looked like 169 stopped right there but on Google Earth it looks like it continues...You coming to the Rally this year Chuck?
I am a definite maybe for the rally. I will be out of the area for a few days right until the event starts. Being married makes it a little tougher to get away again immediately but that isn't a deal breaker. The heat can be. If we get more 110 degree days like they are forecasting again for the end of this week it takes the fun out of riding for me. I know it makes it hard for your planning but that's why I haven't responded on your Jefferson Rally thread. I had a great time last year and enjoyed meeting the people on the ride. I hope it works out to do it again this year.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #1097
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
Brian pulled up the right connection to the best of my recollection. It always seems different on the ground than looking at a map. Its easy to think 169 goes all the way because it has a connection on 101 up by Klamath. I didn't take the Bald Hills Rd. as I had planned. I have a new TKC 80 knobby for my front tire that I did not get mounted in time. I decided my worn out Tourance and alone on the dirt was not the best idea. I ended up going up to Happy Camp and over to O'Brien then to Crescent City.

As it turns out, I need to make another trip to Brookings either next week or the week after. I got the knobby mounted now and may try Bald Hills on this next trip. Anyone interested in a ride?

Chuck
I would love to go back but it will most likely be in August, I'd like to keep in touch and run over there the same time you do. If not, I won't be able to head back up until November but then it will be time to take the drift boat down the Chetco!
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #1098
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,689
Thanks guys for the interest and help on HWY169,its been years since I went across and I have been thinking I need to make a trip up HWY96,I love the coast and the Trinity area so most of my rides are west,if all goes well I'll have another week off in a week or so and may wander up to the Rez at Hoopa and ask around or the Weitchipec store someone may know,mean while I'll keep watching here as other people seem curious also.
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #1099
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Time is ticking

getting itchy feet. The doctor figured it out.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #1100
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
plans

It will be four lonely days in a brown,,,
Opps, forgot.
Leave tomorrow, going out to Greenville. Then North. going to circle all the big mountains in Oregon and down the Columbia river into Portland. Then home. Details to be with-held. for legal reasons.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #1101
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
It will be four lonely days in a brown,,,
Opps, forgot.
Leave tomorrow, going out to Greenville. Then North. going to circle all the big mountains in Oregon and down the Columbia river into Portland. Then home. Details to be with-held. for legal reasons.
Enjoy the !%$& outta your trip,sounds like fun!!!!!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #1102
Klrcharlie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Redmountain 350

Just went to see about the Redmountain 350 and I see its sold out that is to bad. It would have been a good ride. Well maybe next year.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #1103
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Trip to Brookings

I finally got caught up with work, then we took a three day trip to Lake Shasta last weekend so I can do a short write up of the trip that Dow Duer and I started on the 11th.

Left my place about 11:15a.m. and headed out to Paskenta and up the hill. Took our time and had a couple stops, including one for lunch before Anthony Peak. I've still never been to the lookout and it is on my list for an overnight trip this summer. The woods up there are so nice, tons of good dirt roads and very seldom do you see anybody. I don't think we came across anyone until heading down the hill to Covelo.

Turned into the gas station and filled up @ 2:00p.m. and went to Del Rio road. I have to say, the asphalt from Eel Creek Camp to Del Rio is one of the most fun "street tire" pieces of pavement I've been on, especially with sticky tires.
Del Rio is an interesting road, not well maintained but goes thru some "backwoods" country. I would think that come August/September it would probably have a very skunky smell, if you know what I mean. Couple times on the road it smelled like there was a early harvest...

Hit Laytonville and then ran up the 101 to Garberville. We got a late start so going out to Westport was not in the cards this trip. Pulled into the gas station and Subway in Garberville, filled up with gas, had a very short conversation with Viggo Mortensen and made our way twards Shelter Cove.

Went up Shelter Cove Road and turned north on Kings Peak Road. Looking at Google Maps and Google Earth, it appears that this "road" runs along the ridgetops and provides a great view of the ocean, well, not really. I don't think we saw the coast until Petrolia again. This was not a well kept road and probably 4X4 only. Wasn't too bad on street tires, but I don't know if it would be fun on a big adventure bike.

This then ended up on Mattole Road and into Honeydew. Another beautiful road that had wonderful views and was in great shape. I've got a long time friend who's grandfather had 8,000 acres outside of Honeydew, didn't know it at the time, but we almost ran over her nieces and dogs on the way buy. Ended up camping at Mattole Beach, arrived around 7:00p.m. and I think we did about 280 miles from my place. It was soooo nice to sleep with the sound of the ocean and it was nice and COOL!
Woke up late, had a couple hours of Bike issues and continued north on Mattole Road to Ferndale. Wonderful views of the Pacific!

Stopped for lunch in Ferndale, if you haven't traveled thru that Beautiful little village, it is a must do. First time I've been there and it is a real treat. We continued on thru Loleta and back on the 101 to Eureka. Stopped for fuel again and then on to Orick, where Dow turned off to Fern Canyon and I went on to Brookings.

A couple of delays due to road construction but the 101 thru the woods up there is also a treat.

Had no problems getting to Brookings, ate and drank too much, visited with my Dad, brother and sister.
Interesting things we did that I didn't know were in Brookings:
Brandy Tasting room - http://brandypeak.com/ not my favorite booze but ended up with a buzz (no I wasn't the one driving)
Got a tour thru a Custom Rifle Barrel Mfg. - http://www.pac-nor.com/ extremely interesting, start with steel stock and end up with a finished barrel. Also a family run business.
Left at 9:30 Sunday morning. Wanted to come back thru Weitchpec but ended up going straight down 101 and back on 36. It was soo cold I had to wear a sweatshirt under my jacket and bandana around my face, felt great! Stopped at the Lost Coast Brewery for a bowl of Chowder and a pint. By the time I came thru RedBluff it was 105 and my head was baking in the helmet.

I'd love to go back thru Hayfork - Trinity River - Hoopa and camp at Fern Canyon, just some incrediable country that you don't get anywhere else in the state.
I'll also hit Shelter Cove and head south on Usual to Westport and then the 1 to Boonville this summer. My bro lives on a vinyard off of Boonville road near Ukiah, this would be a good weekend trip.

I don't know about you guys, but after a trip like this, it just makes me want to get out more! No drama, great roads, beautiful views and perfect weather.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #1104
8lives
Runnin on wonder

oobus

Nice ride and report!What kinda bike are you on????
Old 07-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #1105
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobus View Post
I don't know about you guys, but after a trip like this, it just makes me want to get out more! No drama, great roads, beautiful views and perfect weather.
375 miles yesterday to Fort Bragg and back via backroads and dirt and roads my Garmin couldn't find. Ready for more! Thanks for the vids.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #1106
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Drz 400 e model with the Supermoto wheelset for this trip. I was extremely happy with how the bike performed for a little 4 stroke.

Need a different helmet for high speeds though, not the most comfortable in the wind with the visor trying to pull my head up.

BanhXeo, did you go thru Willows on FH7?
Old 07-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #1107
8lives
Runnin on wonder

BanhXeo

Hey a friend of mine has his eye on a F800 sitting down at Ozzies,he currently rides a 1150gs and wants something smaller but still big enough,you seem to really like your 800 any thoughts?????
Old 07-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #1108
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobus View Post
Drz 400 e model with the Supermoto wheelset for this trip. I was extremely happy with how the bike performed for a little 4 stroke.

Need a different helmet for high speeds though, not the most comfortable in the wind with the visor trying to pull my head up.

BanhXeo, did you go thru Willows on FH7?
We went from Chico due west through Orland to Co rd 200 then south to FH7. Through Covelo then Poonkinney rd to Dos Rios into Laytonville. Down highway 101 for about 5 miles then took Sherwood Rd over to Fort Bragg. Came Back on Branscomb Rd. Looks like they are getting ready to add another stretch of gravel on Sherwood Rd. The dirt section was an absolute blast but the ruts are no joke in some spots. Branscomb is suuuuper nice twisties. Reminds me of the stetch of pavement between sterling city and Inskip. Will be riding that again for sure if we are short on time again.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
Old 07-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #1109
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Hey a friend of mine has his eye on a F800 sitting down at Ozzies,he currently rides a 1150gs and wants something smaller but still big enough,you seem to really like your 800 any thoughts?????
I love the 800. For me its exactly what I needed. Its fantastic on the road and a blast on forest service roads. I had 1 get off yesterday on a super soft trail while trying to navigate fresh Caterpillar tracks. Its heavy in the technical stuff but has so much grunt you can really just muscle it around with some work.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #1110
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
We went from Chico due west through Orland to Co rd 200 then south to FH7. Through Covelo then Poonkinney rd to Dos Rios into Laytonville. Down highway 101 for about 5 miles then took Sherwood Rd over to Fort Bragg. Came Back on Branscomb Rd. Looks like they are getting ready to add another stretch of gravel on Sherwood Rd. The dirt section was an absolute blast but the ruts are no joke in some spots. Branscomb is suuuuper nice twisties. Reminds me of the stetch of pavement between sterling city and Inskip. Will be riding that again for sure if we are short on time again.
Yep, saw Poonkinney Rd on the way over, someone mentioned it previously so I was thinking about it on the way by. Took my RX7 on Branscomb Rd. last Novemeber on the way back from Albion, definiatly great twisty road.
I am curious what the shortest route to the Coast is "over the hill". Probably doable in 4 hours? To me it is so refreshing to get out of this heat and stand next to the ocean and enjoy the 60 degree temps. right in the middle of summer.