ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #1111
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobus View Post
Yep, saw Poonkinney Rd on the way over, someone mentioned it previously so I was thinking about it on the way by. Took my RX7 on Branscomb Rd. last Novemeber on the way back from Albion, definiatly great twisty road.
I am curious what the shortest route to the Coast is "over the hill". Probably doable in 4 hours? To me it is so refreshing to get out of this heat and stand next to the ocean and enjoy the 60 degree temps. right in the middle of summer.
From Chico to Fort Bragg is 3.5 hrs if I go I 5 to Williams then take 20 past clear lake, lake Mendo, into Willits then 20 to the coast. If you want to go "Over the hill" from Paskenta... You could take M4 to M9 to FH 7 to Covelo.(Or just drive south on Co Rd 306 I believe out of Newville, Then take FH 7 to Covelo) Out of Covelo take 162 to Dos Rios. (Poonkinney is slower) Dos Rios to Laytonville (Actually Dos Rios Rd runs right into Branscomb Rd at a 4 way intersection) Then Jet over to the Coast. We made it back in 5.5 hours last night with a gas stop and at least 5 good picture/water stops. I am always looking to get out of this heat for any reason and am going to try to make it to the coast every week or so. Hit me up if you get some time so we can coordinate something.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #1112
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
. I am always looking to get out of this heat for any reason and am going to try to make it to the coast every week or so. Hit me up if you get some time so we can coordinate something.
I love getting out of the heat too. Its the coming home part that is the killer. Never-the-less I am ready to go riding anytime I can get away from work. If any of you are thinking about an overnighter to cooler climes post it up, maybe some of us can join in.

Chuck
Hookalatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #1113
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,347
Quote:
We went from Chico due west through Orland to Co rd 200 then south to FH7. Through Covelo then Poonkinney rd to Dos Rios into Laytonville. Down highway 101 for about 5 miles then took Sherwood Rd over to Fort Bragg. Came Back on Branscomb Rd. Looks like they are getting ready to add another stretch of gravel on Sherwood Rd. The dirt section was an absolute blast but the ruts are no joke in some spots. Branscomb is suuuuper nice twisties. Reminds me of the stretch of pavement between sterling city and Inskip. Will be riding that again for sure if we are short on time again.
Ive still got some bikes sitting around here that need ridden,always up for a coast ride!
Old 07-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #1114
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,708
Thumb +1

Quote:
We went from Chico due west through Orland to Co rd 200 then south to FH7. Through Covelo then Poonkinney rd to Dos Rios into Laytonville. Down highway 101 for about 5 miles then took Sherwood Rd over to Fort Bragg. Came Back on Branscomb Rd. Looks like they are getting ready to add another stretch of gravel on Sherwood Rd. The dirt section was an absolute blast but the ruts are no joke in some spots. Branscomb is suuuuper nice twisties. Reminds me of the stetch of pavement between sterling city and Inskip. Will be riding that again for sure if we are short on time again.
...On Branscomb Rd. fun stretch. Watch out for oncoming traffic.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #1115
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Ive still got some bikes sitting around here that need ridden,always up for a coast ride!
Keep next monday open...I'm ready to head back there already.

Good point brien, there are more than a few blind corners and there is no line painted in the middle of the road.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
Old 07-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #1116
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
I love getting out of the heat too. Its the coming home part that is the killer. Never-the-less I am ready to go riding anytime I can get away from work. If any of you are thinking about an overnighter to cooler climes post it up, maybe some of us can join in.

Chuck
PM me your ride days/times maybe we can get something going for this next month
Old 07-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #1117
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
...On Branscomb Rd. fun stretch. Watch out for oncoming traffic.
There's a nice section on Branscomb road,towards the coast end of it,reminds me of a nicely banked go-cart track whipping through the ferns and redwoods!

Then Legett road is my favorite tire/bike testing road.......really fun!

One of my favorite loops is to head to Lower Lake on 20,catch 29 north,then take 175 to Hopland,175 has some roughly surfaced pavemento but also some super tight up and down corners.
Then take 101 north to 257 to Boonville,maybe lunch there,then Mountain view road to Manchester on the coast,Mountain view road is like a paved trail in spots,rough here and there but super fun!

Maybe back through Covelo to get some dirt in.

The DR650 with the fat 19" front and fat 17" rear wheel is the bomb for this sort of ride.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #1118
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,708
I know where you're talking about.

Fun stretch. I had a couple of cages cut some corners on me on that road. Got to keep your head up for sure. Just before you hit Hwy 1 there's a house on the left in a little madow type surrounding that was for sale in April when I did that ride, I keep thinking how nice that would be.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #1119
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
There's a nice section on Branscomb road,towards the coast end of it,reminds me of a nicely banked go-cart track whipping through the ferns and redwoods!

Old 07-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #1120
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Fun stretch. I had a couple of cages cut some corners on me on that road. Got to keep your head up for sure. Just before you hit Hwy 1 there's a house on the left in a little madow type surrounding that was for sale in April when I did that ride, I keep thinking how nice that would be.
I think this was the one you are talking about. I didn't notice any for sale signs but it was an amazing little piece of the coast.

This is the last pic I took before we turned towards that lot

Old 07-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #1121
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Yeah cagers do tend to wander at the darndest times!

I like to keep my bike so close to the edge of the road that Im brushing the ferns on the edges with my shoulder/elbow,just in case a cage shows up on my side of the road Im set to bail or miss them.
Ive been doing coast rides since ..........well a long time ago,right out of high school. Took an 850 Norton once on a dare,it came home in a truck from Westport.POS. I rode on the back of a 77 Ducati 900 to get home,terrifying!

An RD350 was the bike of choice once,it did fine and went fast in the tight stuff,wheelies elsewhere.

Spent a good amount of time on the side of the road with a 71 750 Triumph Tiger,it came home under it's own power, but it wasnt simple.

And then there was dicing with the Canadians on their RZ500's as we were all heading to Laguna Seca down the coast for roadraces.

Fun,Fun,times!
Old 07-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #1122
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:

Hah! People go out to ride the "Tail of the Dragon" way out East.
We have endless Tails of Dragons here to ride with out so many Yokels on Harleys dragging bottom and crashing out for photogs.
Were spoiled!
Old 07-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #1123
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,577
I agree^^^^^^^
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #1124
Klrcharlie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Gps

Got my new Garmin 62s Friday already making some tracks for my next ride. Iam thinking this is going to be a great tool.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #1125
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrcharlie View Post
Got my new Garmin 62s Friday already making some tracks for my next ride. Iam thinking this is going to be a great tool.
Great investment! I've noticed I rarely use my gps to get me where i end up..but I always use it to get home when I am lost.