ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #1126
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
Great investment! I've noticed I rarely use my gps to get me where i end up..but I always use it to get home when I am lost.
Good point,I still use paper maps,I was wandering in the woods as most of us were for years before GPS,even sailed in the ocean with charts and a Sextant,that said I gotta get a GPS,when I was riding with Charlie his GPS made navigating much easier,I just gotta get in touch with modern civilization it seems to work well for everyone else!!!!
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #1127
6xp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Paskenta to Anthony Peak

Hi.
Thursday morning going to ride from Salt Creek Camp up to Wells Cabin,
Anthony Peak, should be cooler. If anyone want to go along let me know.
Mark
6xp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:52 AM   #1128
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Good point,I still use paper maps,I was wandering in the woods as most of us were for years before GPS,even sailed in the ocean with charts and a Sextant,that said I gotta get a GPS,when I was riding with Charlie his GPS made navigating much easier,I just gotta get in touch with modern civilization it seems to work well for everyone else!!!!
Your not the only one,I dont even like cell phones,why be tied to a phone 24/7? I go all over without GPS and maybe find more stuff that way..sometimes. Ive always found my way home so far.

I'll put one on my bike at some point.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:52 AM   #1129
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Your not the only one,I dont even like cell phones,why be tied to a phone 24/7? I go all over without GPS and maybe find more stuff that way..sometimes. Ive always found my way home so far.

I'll put one on my bike at some point.
I am like you and have slowly been dragged into modern technology by force. I have always found my way out too but not always sure I could find that same location again in the future. What would really be nice to know when selecting an unexpected but interesting road is does it connect somewhere? Dead end?

Do the current GPS units show forest service or even smaller roads? The last time I used one was years ago and it only gave numerical co-ordinates.

Chuck
Hookalatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #1130
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
I am like you and have slowly been dragged into modern technology by force. I have always found my way out too but not always sure I could find that same location again in the future. What would really be nice to know when selecting an unexpected but interesting road is does it connect somewhere? Dead end?

Do the current GPS units show forest service or even smaller roads? The last time I used one was years ago and it only gave numerical co-ordinates.

Chuck
From what Ive seen,riding with someone who knows how to run a GPS and has the right maps in it,they show all kinds of exzistant and sometimes non-existent old dirt roads,sometimes they are right,sometimes wrong as these things change with the weather/landslides,etc.
Usually they are very helpful,riding a long ways to a dead end with finite fuel on board is no good way out in Nevada,or anywhere really.

I should give in and get one. Once Ive been somewhere I remember it pretty much forever,landmarks print in my brain,most people dont seem to develop this but Ive ridden singletrack in the woods since I was little,this helps. I do get screwed up on directions sometimes though.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #1131
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Paskenta

Back in the vicinity, Are you talking about tomorrow, I may be able to wiggle out of my commitment. What time are you leaving. would be a good day for a ride. Leave the camera at home I'm afraid. What are you riding?
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:22 PM   #1132
6xp
Adventurer

Paskenta ride

Yes tomorrow, 8am+/-. Thought I would ride the 350 KTM. usually
do about 60-70 miles of F/S roads.
Mark
Old 08-01-2013, 12:29 AM   #1133
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Tow

Sounds like a tow job.
Salt Creek camp , unload, spin the rear tire up the hill.
Shoot I still might head out that way.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #1134
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
I've come to really like the planning that...

Quote:
From what Ive seen,riding with someone who knows how to run a GPS and has the right maps in it,they show all kinds of exzistant and sometimes non-existent old dirt roads,sometimes they are right,sometimes wrong as these things change with the weather/landslides,etc.
Usually they are very helpful,riding a long ways to a dead end with finite fuel on board is no good way out in Nevada,or anywhere really.

I should give in and get one. Once Ive been somewhere I remember it pretty much forever,landmarks print in my brain,most people dont seem to develop this but Ive ridden singletrack in the woods since I was little,this helps. I do get screwed up on directions sometimes though.
...goes along with the gps. It gives you a chance to get very familiar with your route, I still take paper maps just in case there's an electrical failure somewhere along the road. You just never know, that's the boy scout in me.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #1135
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6xp View Post
Yes tomorrow, 8am+/-. Thought I would ride the 350 KTM. usually
do about 60-70 miles of F/S roads.
Mark
Do you know much singletrack over there? I used to ride there long ago,parking on Hull Road at 4000' and hitting trail from there.

Id like to find more trails over there,its neat country.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #1136
6xp
Adventurer

Quote:
Do you know much singletrack over there? I used to ride there long ago,parking on Hull Road at 4000' and hitting trail from there.

Id like to find more trails over there,its neat country.

Foot dragger, it is neat country I been riding there about once a week for the last year. I guess that there is no 'legal' singletrack, but that being said I have 'seen' quite a lot. If you would like explore this area sometime let me know.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #1137
Klrcharlie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Looking to ride Sat 10th

It's going to be cool weather next weekend I think its time to ride. Anybody have a ride in mind? And who wants to go. I have been going to the East side most of the time. Maybe it time to look to the West. I don't know the West side. Let me know if anyone wants to ride Sat. 10th.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #1138
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrcharlie View Post
It's going to be cool weather next weekend I think its time to ride. Anybody have a ride in mind? And who wants to go. I have been going to the East side most of the time. Maybe it time to look to the West. I don't know the West side. Let me know if anyone wants to ride Sat. 10th.
Charlie, a ride this Saturday sounds good to me. Kind of depends on where and when you go though. I think it more correct to say cooler weather rather than cool. I don't mind a blast back into the valley heat coming home but would rather try to avoid really hot riding as much as possible. I ride a BMW R1200GS. I prefer twisty blacktop with limited traffic, am okay with Forest Service type roads, and will attempt to transit some nastier sections as long as there is help to get me back up.

I have been over to Covelo and taken a few dirt roads off Hwy 36 but don't have any real knowledge of other off road opportunities to our west. A ride I would like to try again (missed the correct turnoff last time) is going out Hwy 36 to South Fork Mt. road or Mad River and take FS1 to the turnoff for Hyampom. It is paved to that point and supposed to be dirt to Hyampom. There are some dirt alternatives coming out on Hwy 36 as well.

Anyone have any interest in that or have another suggestion.

Chuck
Old 08-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #1139
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Either of you guys ever available on sundays?
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #1140
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
Either of you guys ever available on sundays?
Most any Sunday works for me....... or should I say On Any Sunday?

Chuck