ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #1141
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
If I get my work done on Saturday may be up for something. Has anybody ridden from Ruth Lake back to Covelo or Paskenta? This is the far north of the Mendo Forest and I don't know anybody (other than maybe HopSing) who have went this route.

Matt
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #1142
Klrcharlie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Sat.

Well I will look over my maps.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #1143
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Saturday

That is in the morning... If someone is going riding then let me know its more than an idea. Ruth Lake to Covelo, give me 20 minutes to grab a sleeping bag. Keep in mind 36 West of Red Bluff is closed. There is a short Detour around the closed part.
If anyone is Serious about an overnighter leaving around 9 or 10 Saturday morning Let met know as I am going out that direction. I will be going dirt out to Ruth, Zenia, Hyanpom, Covelo. and depending on my fishing pole I may end up on the Lost coast.
Don't hesitate, big bike, slow speed. No chest protectors.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #1144
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
That is in the morning... If someone is going riding then let me know its more than an idea. Ruth Lake to Covelo, give me 20 minutes to grab a sleeping bag. Keep in mind 36 West of Red Bluff is closed. There is a short Detour around the closed part.
If anyone is Serious about an overnighter leaving around 9 or 10 Saturday morning Let met know as I am going out that direction. I will be going dirt out to Ruth, Zenia, Hyanpom, Covelo. and depending on my fishing pole I may end up on the Lost coast.
Don't hesitate, big bike, slow speed. No chest protectors.
Is there a good place to make a loop back towards Platina/Bowman Rd/Red Bluff area on your proposed route? I confused about your directions after leaving Ruth. I don't want to do an overnighter but am good for the day. Meet at Chevron by Hwy 36 at 10?

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #1145
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

plans

Chuck.

My plans changed, I kiddingly asked my wife if she wanted to go expecting the normal NO. she said yes.
We are going to do Lassen and then head over to Burney Falls and then get a motel. My bike and the wife. Holy shit.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #1146
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,762
I rode up to Auburn last evening to stay with friends,eat good food,and hit the Fast Fridays Speedway races!

Homemade food was great,great beer and the races were spectacular,the Speedway boys always put on a show.

There will be a National or 2 coming up in Auburn and then the USA vs World round usually in Oct,well worth checking out.

Fast Fridays.com has all the info.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:23 AM   #1147
Klrcharlie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Sat 10th

Nice short ride thru Lassen Park it was cold up there felt good. Then hit Mineral Rd back to Hwy 36 that is a pretty good road. And there was a lot of small roads off of it. I didn't hit them but I will some day. Mineral rd is the first road on the left right after the battle creek bridge campground that's if you are going East. I didn't see any road signs when I came out onto 36.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #1148
IAmTheBatman
IAmTheBatman

Oddometer: 17
Ride report

Hi guys
Just did a 4 day trip to do some fly fishing and exploring. Your posts on here have always been really helpful so I'll share mine in case it helps some noob like myself out. Riding a DR650 with some new Hidenau Scouts which I was eager to try out. (loved em.)
Rode from Chico to Mccloud Via I-5 (yuck) to camp and fly fish at Ash Camp. Nice spot, nobody else down there until some backpackers came through in the evening. They were out first thing in the a.m.
Second day rode back to Mt. Shasta then across I-5 to some side roads up to Gazelle. Took Gazelle Callahan road to 3 and then south to Trinity Lake. Just above the lake 3 is a winding paved road which was pretty fun. Camped at Bridge Campground on Stuart Fork near the south end of the lake. A nice campground there. Small and not many other campers. You have to ride through a kind of strange little resort area to get there. The fishing there not great. Very tiny fish but at least they were cooperative.
Next day in to Weaverville for breakfast and then south to Hayfork. From there I went on some FS roads out to Indian Valley and eventually down to 36. Good dirt roads, well marked. Went west on 36 to Fortuna and spent the night in town.
Last day rode 101 south to Laytonville then west on Dos Rios road to Covelo. This was a dirt road which kind of surprised me. About 20 miles to Dos Rios and then Covelo. Grabbed some lunch in Covelo and then headed west on FH7. I wasn't too clear on the best route so I stopped at the Forest Service station on the edge of town. The person there didn't seem too sure herself but her directions were right on. Turned left at Eel Creek on M1. I was surprised that so much of that was paved. Stayed on that until I reached the right turn on Espee Ridge which took me to M-2. South to M-4 then stayed on that until I reached Paskenta. Took a break at the store there and then bombed on to Chico. About 650 miles all together. Looking forward to exploring more of the Mendocino Nat. Forest.
Thanks for the help!
IAmTheBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #1149
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Chico to McCloud on I-5

I-5 will get you there, But there are other routes to McCloud. One being going through Big Bend. I was there yesterday. We stopped by the Hot springs and soaked. Forgot to get gas in Burney and my light came on headed down toward the hot springs. had to leave in time to make last hope for gas in Round Mountain by 8. ten minutes to spare. Rolled the corners on 299 to Bella Vista at a blazing pace. {Fun high speed corners}
Anyway next time try heading out Jellys Ferry and Ash Creek toward Shingle town. Ponderosa toward 299 and then Big bend {road 11 I think} that will take you past McCloud Reservoir and then McCloud proper. This however is small twisty roads and takes a good chunk of a day.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:31 AM   #1150
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmTheBatman View Post
Hi guys
Just did a 4 day trip to do some fly fishing and exploring. Your posts on here have always been really helpful so I'll share mine in case it helps some noob like myself out. Riding a DR650 with some new Hidenau Scouts which I was eager to try out. (loved em.)
Rode from Chico to Mccloud Via I-5 (yuck) to camp and fly fish at Ash Camp. Nice spot, nobody else down there until some backpackers came through in the evening. They were out first thing in the a.m.
Second day rode back to Mt. Shasta then across I-5 to some side roads up to Gazelle. Took Gazelle Callahan road to 3 and then south to Trinity Lake. Just above the lake 3 is a winding paved road which was pretty fun. Camped at Bridge Campground on Stuart Fork near the south end of the lake. A nice campground there. Small and not many other campers. You have to ride through a kind of strange little resort area to get there. The fishing there not great. Very tiny fish but at least they were cooperative.
Next day in to Weaverville for breakfast and then south to Hayfork. From there I went on some FS roads out to Indian Valley and eventually down to 36. Good dirt roads, well marked. Went west on 36 to Fortuna and spent the night in town.
Last day rode 101 south to Laytonville then west on Dos Rios road to Covelo. This was a dirt road which kind of surprised me. About 20 miles to Dos Rios and then Covelo. Grabbed some lunch in Covelo and then headed west on FH7. I wasn't too clear on the best route so I stopped at the Forest Service station on the edge of town. The person there didn't seem too sure herself but her directions were right on. Turned left at Eel Creek on M1. I was surprised that so much of that was paved. Stayed on that until I reached the right turn on Espee Ridge which took me to M-2. South to M-4 then stayed on that until I reached Paskenta. Took a break at the store there and then bombed on to Chico. About 650 miles all together. Looking forward to exploring more of the Mendocino Nat. Forest.
Thanks for the help!
That sounds like a nice ride,Ive been out on most of those roads on my DR or one bike or another.

Ive been hearing about the fires out on the Salmon road,its been closed I guess. Salmon road is reached from Calahan and goes to 96 through a neat rocky canyon. Well worth the ride once the fires are sorted out.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:34 AM   #1151
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
I-5 will get you there, But there are other routes to McCloud. One being going through Big Bend. I was there yesterday. We stopped by the Hot springs and soaked. Forgot to get gas in Burney and my light came on headed down toward the hot springs. had to leave in time to make last hope for gas in Round Mountain by 8. ten minutes to spare. Rolled the corners on 299 to Bella Vista at a blazing pace. {Fun high speed corners}
Anyway next time try heading out Jellys Ferry and Ash Creek toward Shingle town. Ponderosa toward 299 and then Big bend {road 11 I think} that will take you past McCloud Reservoir and then McCloud proper. This however is small twisty roads and takes a good chunk of a day.
I'll have to try that route,sounds much more interesting then hiway.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #1152
visualizerent
Raconteur

Oddometer: 208

I have some time to explore the High Lakes area next week in Lassen NF. Maybe do a giant 3 day loop over Almanor and the Lookouts to the east. (tues-thurs).

Any local inmates up for some riding?

I'm coming out of Nevada City

Juan
KTM 350 EXC-F
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #1153
8lives
Oops I fell again

Oddometer: 1,729
Quote:
I have not been to the hot springs in Big Bend in years,let me know how it went I would like to go up and soak in them,I thought they were all locked up!!!
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #1154
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Hot Springs

I wish I would have taken a picture of the signs.
They state that you are trespassing and explain that you do Not have permission to be there. But they also go on to say not leave a trace that you have been there. bring a Hot chick with you and a lighter, guaranteed to not get ran off.
I go every year and things are loose right now. not always the case.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:58 AM   #1155
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualizerent View Post

I have some time to explore the High Lakes area next week in Lassen NF. Maybe do a giant 3 day loop over Almanor and the Lookouts to the east. (tues-thurs).

Any local inmates up for some riding?

I'm coming out of Nevada City

Juan
KTM 350 EXC-F
Wish I could have met up with you at least for 1 day of riding around Almanor. Have a blast!
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote