ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #1171
Klrcharlie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
That looks like a great route. Have you done it? If so is there camping in shelter cove?
Old 08-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #1172
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
There is camping in shelter cove. Juan if you are thinking of making this trip let me know. Most of those roads are pretty nice FS roads. Briceland to shelter cove from Redway is all paved. I've been playing on the KTM all summer and the big bike needs to get out.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #1173
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
This route

This route is Big bike friendly. I run it on a BMW 650 Dakar. and anybody that would consider this on a 1200 gs would be fine.
It is a good route. I got a flat 50 miles into it last deer season. I was riding with a group from Westwood and Mt Shasta. they where on KTM's and were racing. I ditched my bike in the bushes and left a note as they were long gone. I caught a ride back to town from a deer hunter.
Deer hunter's and loggers, pot growers are on the road once in a while so be carful. And if someone is going, let me know I might tag along.
When I go I camp on the coast after Usal hits the hwy. just before the official campground that is on the coast. about 2 or 3 hundred yards before on the opposite side. little driveway looking thing and I only go back just far enough to be out of plain site from the road. I have always kept this route a secret, but now with the computer and GPS there don't seem to be any secrets anymore. so have fun ... Hop-Sing
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #1174
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
This route is Big bike friendly. I run it on a BMW 650 Dakar. and anybody that would consider this on a 1200 gs would be fine.
It is a good route. I got a flat 50 miles into it last deer season. I was riding with a group from Westwood and Mt Shasta. they where on KTM's and were racing. I ditched my bike in the bushes and left a note as they were long gone. I caught a ride back to town from a deer hunter.
Deer hunter's and loggers, pot growers are on the road once in a while so be carful. And if someone is going, let me know I might tag along.
When I go I camp on the coast after Usal hits the hwy. just before the official campground that is on the coast. about 2 or 3 hundred yards before on the opposite side. little driveway looking thing and I only go back just far enough to be out of plain site from the road. I have always kept this route a secret, but now with the computer and GPS there don't seem to be any secrets anymore. so have fun ... Hop-Sing
Ditched your bike in the bushes...........A friend lost a nice KTM doing that once.
They've got these brand new things on the market now,tubes,patches,flat fix kits.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #1175
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,707
Laugh +1

Old 08-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #1176
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Fixing a flat

You can laugh all you want. But I would have liked to see someone patch a tire on my Dakar with tools they have with them. It took me an hour in the vise after I got home. In this case a can of fix a flat would have done it.
I told the guys I was riding with NOT to worry about me. They had everything including all tire repair stuff.
I am very independent and didn't want to cause them any trouble. The timing of the deer hunter and lack of cell service made it an easy decision.
As far as stashing my bike in the bushes. I have full coverage. besides my bike gets stashed in the bushes all the time. I use it to get as close to places as I can but MY trail does not stop where the road does. I backpack, fish and am away from my bike for days at a time.
I have more to worry about than a motorcycle.

I know everyone will give me shit for not fixing my bike there and how I am not an Adventure rider. Well if you think you can hang with me when I am on one of my adventures when I am not on my bike, Try me out.
This cripple old man is still made of steel.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #1177
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrcharlie View Post
That looks like a great route. Have you done it? If so is there camping in shelter cove?
What do you call camping? If I am riding and going somewhere, camping doesn't require much and should be able to be done anywhere. If your riding a dual sport bike you can "camp" behind a bush. If your riding ATGATT you don't even need a sleeping bag this time of year. If your bringing the wife take the RV
Old 08-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #1178
redog1
KLR650-2009

We're just playing Hop-Sing,

Quote:
You can laugh all you want. But I would have liked to see someone patch a tire on my Dakar with tools they have with them. It took me an hour in the vise after I got home. In this case a can of fix a flat would have done it.
I told the guys I was riding with NOT to worry about me. They had everything including all tire repair stuff.
I am very independent and didn't want to cause them any trouble. The timing of the deer hunter and lack of cell service made it an easy decision.
As far as stashing my bike in the bushes. I have full coverage. besides my bike gets stashed in the bushes all the time. I use it to get as close to places as I can but MY trail does not stop where the road does. I backpack, fish and am away from my bike for days at a time.
I have more to worry about than a motorcycle.

I know everyone will give me shit for not fixing my bike there and how I am not an Adventure rider. Well if you think you can hang with me when I am on one of my adventures when I am not on my bike, Try me out.
This cripple old man is still made of steel.
I hate fixing flats on the trail and my tires are a bitch to break the bead on. Luckily I haven't had to do it on the trail but have done it plenty of times in the garage, It takes 2 6" C clamps a bar and big hammer to get it done. I know if I ever have to do it, I have to go at it with a lot of patience. I carry the tools to do it though. As for hanging with you, I can't do what you do anymore and anybody that can ride a trials bike the way it's intended gets my respect.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #1179
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

No respect

Well then , there you have it. I get no respect. See you haven't seen me ride a Trials bike. I am a slacker on my Trials bike. I may be due some respect for my Other Riding skills. The one that involves over 400 wheels and can stretch over a mile long.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #1180
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Redog1

Redog1 you could do this on your KLR with 3 days worth of gear on it.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #1181
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Well then , there you have it. I get no respect. See you haven't seen me ride a Trials bike. I am a slacker on my Trials bike. I may be due some respect for my Other Riding skills. The one that involves over 400 wheels and can stretch over a mile long.
I have much respect for you and other die hard adventurers on this local thread,Im just an inveterate shit disturber and its how I am.

But,if you enjoy your Trials bike,I can show you some fun and new places to ride it,we have a singletrack paradise up above Chico,guys often strap extra gas on their trials bikes and come out and do a loop or two.
I ride my 09 200XCW up there and for me its the hot settup. Much big granite to stop and play on,all decomposed granite otherwise.
I run Tubliss in the rear at 5psi which makes the bike a climber and a half.

If your interested Id show you around up there sometime.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #1182
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
I hate fixing flats on the trail and my tires are a bitch to break the bead on. Luckily I haven't had to do it on the trail but have done it plenty of times in the garage, It takes 2 6" C clamps a bar and big hammer to get it done. I know if I ever have to do it, I have to go at it with a lot of patience. I carry the tools to do it though. As for hanging with you, I can't do what you do anymore and anybody that can ride a trials bike the way it's intended gets my respect.
Ive found that tires pretty much come right off the rim for trailside fixes,when they are good and warm from riding they almost fall off. I always make a point of carrying everything to fix tires on the DR...........that way flats dont happen.

I did get a 25.00 harbor freight bead breaker for home use,it hasnt failed yet.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #1183
redog1
KLR650-2009

I've had a flat once...

During my trip last year over Heness Pass, got lucky as it happened at a gas station that had a tire machine. Made the chore much easier adapting it to work for a motorcycle tire. Thank God I had the supervision of the 2 CHP officers that were there also, don't know what I would have done without them.
Only other times I've had a flat I was able to air up and get home. I was close enough to make it work.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #1184
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Tire change

My vise works good, I have had it forever and Have a system where it doesn't scratch the wheel. breaking the bead on a dual purpose tire on my BMW is a little different than changing a dirt bike tire. I have changed a couple of tires in my time. and this tire was going to need all I had even at home. Getting a tire off the bead can be a pain. We run tubeless on our trials bikes. To get the bead to set when putting a new tire on takes 90 to 100 psi, that gets a little scary.
Also anyone wanting to tease me go for it. I can take a joke. but That will open a door you may not want open. I got all day to Badger you back and Being a German my sense of humor can be a bit harsh.
Hop-Sing
Old 08-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #1185
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
My vise works good, I have had it forever and Have a system where it doesn't scratch the wheel. breaking the bead on a dual purpose tire on my BMW is a little different than changing a dirt bike tire. I have changed a couple of tires in my time. and this tire was going to need all I had even at home. Getting a tire off the bead can be a pain. We run tubeless on our trials bikes. To get the bead to set when putting a new tire on takes 90 to 100 psi, that gets a little scary.
Also anyone wanting to tease me go for it. I can take a joke. but That will open a door you may not want open. I got all day to Badger you back and Being a German my sense of humor can be a bit harsh.
Hop-Sing
No badgering or teasing,tires are tires and some are a bitch.
Ive used as many as 3 plugs in one hole on a tubeless street tire to get me home,its a pain and the tire is junk at that point buy may hold air long enough to get home. Ive broken beads using the kickstand on the bike to pop the bead loose,not fun but can work.

Ive had flats where if I didnt fix it,it would be a very,very long hike out once the tire flops off the rim and the bike goes no more.

Giant PG&E style tie wraps can hold a tire tight to the rim in a pinch situation,I carry em.