ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #1201
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Week early

Left the house Friday afternoon. ended up going to Our compound in Weed Ca. Spent the night/all night hanging out with my Tramp friends.
There was a work party going on this weekend and there where lots of people there. I didn't want to have/get a wasted weekend so I hit the road Saturday morning and headed North. Out through Gazel, and those other places I can't remember. Headed up Scott Mt onto 3 and then road that into Weaverville. Got some lunch and road over to the campground in Douglas City and cruised the place we were to meet up next weekend.
Anyway continued on 3 until wildwood road and then spured off that into 36. Drove by a piece of land I just bought, still waiting for the paper work to clear. I have yet to see the land but waved to it as I roared past. It is up the hill from the wild Horse Ranch. followed a Harley that was hauling ass. clear into the windy part by the ranger station and then passed him and enjoyed my craft as I carved out those corners. He caught back up with me on the straights before town. As we pulled up to the stop sign at the end of 36 ,he says, You must know this road. I giggled and told him I did. Glad to be home safe and have a clear head.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #1202
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
Left the house Friday afternoon. ended up going to Our compound in Weed Ca. Spent the night/all night hanging out with my Tramp friends.
There was a work party going on this weekend and there where lots of people there. I didn't want to have/get a wasted weekend so I hit the road Saturday morning and headed North. Out through Gazel, and those other places I can't remember. Headed up Scott Mt onto 3 and then road that into Weaverville. Got some lunch and road over to the campground in Douglas City and cruised the place we were to meet up next weekend.
Anyway continued on 3 until wildwood road and then spured off that into 36. Drove by a piece of land I just bought, still waiting for the paper work to clear. I have yet to see the land but waved to it as I roared past. It is up the hill from the wild Horse Ranch. followed a Harley that was hauling ass. clear into the windy part by the ranger station and then passed him and enjoyed my craft as I carved out those corners. He caught back up with me on the straights before town. As we pulled up to the stop sign at the end of 36 ,he says, You must know this road. I giggled and told him I did. Glad to be home safe and have a clear head.
Sounds like a busy weekend.

Ive been out 36 many times,seen lots of Harley Riders,never once seen one that could keep to the speedlimit in corners,usually well below while dragging metal making sparks fly. You must have met the one that knew what he was doing.................
Old 09-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #1203
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,176
My slowest ride across 36 was with a friend riding her HD. We had to pull over to let a Geo Metro with 4 people in it get past us. My Ducati was so ashamed She had ridden all the way up here solo, but was afraid to do 36 by herself. Just too many twists and turns. In the narrow section, I was surprised how slow she could ride without putting her feet down.
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #1204
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 304
Bucks Lake Dual Sport Ride

Inmate LaPorte posted this in another thread where it may not get seen by many interested. It sounds interesting. Any proposed dates?

Chuck

Bucks Lake DualSport ride

I want to go do the Bucks Lake Dual sport ride again, but I don't want to ride it alone. I laid it out a few years back and did the ride with a group. It has been about five years since I rode it. There may be down trees and what ever so some trees may need to be cut. The ride starts at my place in Brownsville and goes through Forbstown, the back of Oroville Res, to the Cascade area, across Milsap Bar, to Bucks Lake, (Half way Point Gas Lunch) Back into the woods, across Claremont Ridge 6,994 ft. back to LaPorte (pavement/dirt then Brownsville Pavement/dirt). About 184 miles. May not be able to complete the whole ride in one day if there are lots of down trees. But can do it over a couple weekends.
Anyone interested? It's not that difficult mostly Fire Roads, Trails and old log skids. Nothing butt puckering.

LaPorte
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #1205
visualizerent
Raconteur

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
Inmate LaPorte posted this in another thread where it may not get seen by many interested. It sounds interesting. Any proposed dates?

Chuck

Bucks Lake DualSport ride

I want to go do the Bucks Lake Dual sport ride again, but I don't want to ride it alone. I laid it out a few years back and did the ride with a group. It has been about five years since I rode it. There may be down trees and what ever so some trees may need to be cut. The ride starts at my place in Brownsville and goes through Forbstown, the back of Oroville Res, to the Cascade area, across Milsap Bar, to Bucks Lake, (Half way Point Gas Lunch) Back into the woods, across Claremont Ridge 6,994 ft. back to LaPorte (pavement/dirt then Brownsville Pavement/dirt). About 184 miles. May not be able to complete the whole ride in one day if there are lots of down trees. But can do it over a couple weekends.
Anyone interested? It's not that difficult mostly Fire Roads, Trails and old log skids. Nothing butt puckering.

LaPorte
I can vouch for the Cascade/ Milsap Bar being free and clear of trees as of a couple weeks ago...this late in the season I've found most downed trees (on fire roads) have been cleared in my recent adventures....gotta online map of yer route to checkout?

Juan
Nevada City
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #1206
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualizerent View Post
I can vouch for the Cascade/ Milsap Bar being free and clear of trees as of a couple weeks ago...this late in the season I've found most downed trees (on fire roads) have been cleared in my recent adventures....gotta online map of yer route to checkout?

Juan
Nevada City
I don't know what you mean by online maps but I do have a GPS track.

Tony
Old 09-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #1207
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Harley ride''''rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcaddy View Post
My slowest ride across 36 was with a friend riding her HD. We had to pull over to let a Geo Metro with 4 people in it get past us. My Ducati was so ashamed She had ridden all the way up here solo, but was afraid to do 36 by herself. Just too many twists and turns. In the narrow section, I was surprised how slow she could ride without putting her feet down.
I stopped about 3 miles after hitting 36 from wildwood road. so I was about 10 or 15 miles out from Platina. There was a car load of girls/ladies.
there car hood was open and they needed some Transmission fluid. Some other gentleman had already beaten me to their rescue. As

As I pulled back onto the road this "Harley Rider" came by. I am sure he thought I was going to pull right out in front of him as He came over the rise in the road right as I was releasing my clutch. I just stayed in the oncoming lane as it was clear and let him fly past. I followed him for over 30 miles and stayed basically on his ass. I was shocked... The long sweepers out by Platina he took at 75 mph. This guy was not your sister in law. He was laying down tracks. we ran out at 80 or so and backed down to 60 in the 35's. After we got to the 10 miles or so of tighter/continuously turns I even tried to pass him. Then I did pull the hammer down and light up that piece of familiar asphalt which I am sure made him scratch his head.

I have been going out 36 for 50 years. It used to be a very bad road with 15 mile an hour curves. so much of it has been straightened. however from the fire station at the end of Bowman rd out 36 for next 3 miles or so anyone riding at excessive speed may be advised against it. You can launch your bike over the humps in the road. That is not as dangerous as letting off the gas at the top of said humps.
One other place on my ride that seemed dangerous. coming down Smith Mt. on Hwy3. The corners are not uniform in tightness or grade. with no guardrail to even tell which way the road was going I would recommend slowing way down and enjoying the view rather than seeking fun from your right hand.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #1208
visualizerent
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte View Post
I don't know what you mean by online maps but I do have a GPS track.

Tony
MAP LINK-CLICK ON MAP

kinda something like this? (at least the first part of the loop-feel free to edit)
Looks like a great Route!

You can also convert your GPS files into a Google map using "GPS Visualizer.com" here...
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input?form=google

JB
Old 09-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #1209
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Bucks Lake DS Ride

I now have a online map. How to I post it to ADVrider?
Old 09-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #1210
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
When I was up there in July I believe two guys in a toyota pickup with drums of water and sprinkler supplies were just driving back to your new place. Are they waiting to complete their agricultural enterprise before it will close escrow? Just Kidding!

We'll have to go for a ride out there after my harvest (OLIVES!)
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #1211
visualizerent
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte View Post
I now have a online map. How to I post it to ADVrider?
If it's a Google map, find the link button (looks like a chain link) and hit copy, then paste inside "Insert Link" button here.

you may be able to just copy the URL and paste into "Insert Link"

JB
Old 09-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #1212
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobus View Post
When I was up there in July I believe two guys in a Toyota pickup with drums of water and sprinkler supplies were just driving back to your new place. Are they waiting to complete their agricultural enterprise before it will close escrow? Just Kidding!

We'll have to go for a ride out there after my harvest (OLIVES!)
Something like that. No, really a family show. we just picked up some adjoining land that was going up for sale. I have been to the property our family owns, this 20 acres is just below that and I have never walked on it. I may never, But the price was right and I had to take it.

I want to come drive a fork lift. have you started harvest yet?
A good fork lift driver goes back-wards half the time.
I've dove all kinds from a propane Toyota, to big Hyster's in the lumber mills
Old 09-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #1213
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
I stopped about 3 miles after hitting 36 from wildwood road. so I was about 10 or 15 miles out from Platina. There was a car load of girls/ladies.
there car hood was open and they needed some Transmission fluid. Some other gentleman had already beaten me to their rescue. As

As I pulled back onto the road this "Harley Rider" came by. I am sure he thought I was going to pull right out in front of him as He came over the rise in the road right as I was releasing my clutch. I just stayed in the oncoming lane as it was clear and let him fly past. I followed him for over 30 miles and stayed basically on his ass. I was shocked... The long sweepers out by Platina he took at 75 mph. This guy was not your sister in law. He was laying down tracks. we ran out at 80 or so and backed down to 60 in the 35's. After we got to the 10 miles or so of tighter/continuously turns I even tried to pass him. Then I did pull the hammer down and light up that piece of familiar asphalt which I am sure made him scratch his head.

I have been going out 36 for 50 years. It used to be a very bad road with 15 mile an hour curves. so much of it has been straightened. however from the fire station at the end of Bowman rd out 36 for next 3 miles or so anyone riding at excessive speed may be advised against it. You can launch your bike over the humps in the road. That is not as dangerous as letting off the gas at the top of said humps.
One other place on my ride that seemed dangerous. coming down Smith Mt. on Hwy3. The corners are not uniform in tightness or grade. with no guardrail to even tell which way the road was going I would recommend slowing way down and enjoying the view rather than seeking fun from your right hand.
Yeah its a shame they have "fixed" 36 so much.

Some of the best jumps have been taken out,as well as the tightest corners. I remember launching a 1977 GS750 Suzuki off the jumps and thinking the ft end was going to snap off on landing,it usually just tank slapped hard a couple times and straightened out.
The jumps with corners built in demand respect.

As long as you know where the gravel is most likely to be,and the spots where theres always deer crossing,and then the freeze bumps and dips mid corners with tar snakes and the ruts that go with them,36 is a really fun road.

My 1250 Bandit is fun on it,but my DR650 with fat road tires on 19"/17" wide wheels is really the best bike for me,it sucks up the bumps,goes fine through the gravel,and doesnt have the lure of top speed like a fast bike would.

13 Dip Road off 3 is a fun one,especially right after winter when the water crossings can be almost 3' deep.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #1214
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Bucks Lake Ride

visualizerent

This is the best I could come up with.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2309882

LaPorte
Old 09-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #1215
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcaddy View Post
Ive followed Harley riders on several occasions,Im sure some of them somewhere know how to ride.......... but many appear to be beginners in it for the lifestyle image.

I followed one for a while down hiway 32,he seemed desperate to stay ahead of me,yet couldnt stay on the road in corners. Classic come in tight then drift wide out to the gravel while wobbling like mad trying to steer the thing while it drug bottom. His wife sat on the back unperturbed,no idea how close they were coming to a slide on their asses through gravel and into the trees.

I didnt want to get anywhere near and cause a crash, so I bided my time till I could cruise past down a straight.

I suppose in his own way he was racing me.