ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #1216
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Ive followed Harley riders on several occasions,Im sure some of them somewhere know how to ride.......... but many appear to be beginners in it for the lifestyle image.

I followed one for a while down hiway 32,he seemed desperate to stay ahead of me,yet couldnt stay on the road in corners. Classic come in tight then drift wide out to the gravel while wobbling like mad trying to steer the thing while it drug bottom. His wife sat on the back unperturbed,no idea how close they were coming to a slide on their asses through gravel and into the trees.

I didnt want to get anywhere near and cause a crash, so I bided my time till I could cruise past down a straight.

I suppose in his own way he was racing me.
Dragging bottom and wobbling is what lead me to sell my Hardley FXDX- the supposed "Sport" Dyna. My most unusual experience on 36 was passing a group of Shriners from Nebraska on scooters. There must of been 30 of them strung out over about 3 miles, all riding like sloe-joes. Straightening curves on 36 pales in comparison to what they are doing on 299. The uphill run from French Gulch to the top of the hill was one of the most fun sections of road in the area if you hit it early without traffic. They have been doing major straightening for the last couple of years and won't quit until its ruined.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #1217
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
Dragging bottom and wobbling is what lead me to sell my Hardley FXDX- the supposed "Sport" Dyna. My most unusual experience on 36 was passing a group of Shriners from Nebraska on scooters. There must of been 30 of them strung out over about 3 miles, all riding like sloe-joes. Straightening curves on 36 pales in comparison to what they are doing on 299. The uphill run from French Gulch to the top of the hill was one of the most fun sections of road in the area if you hit it early without traffic. They have been doing major straightening for the last couple of years and won't quit until its ruined.

Chuck
I wish they had alternate routes on 36 with jumps and hairpins,maybe some nice smooth watered dirt corners for laughs.
"They" want 36 to be a nice road for large trucks going to the coast and back.

It should also be closed one day a year to do timed runs from end to end,kinda like the Isle Of Man but with probably even more ambulances.

Just a thought.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #1218
visualizerent
Raconteur

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte View Post
visualizerent

This is the best I could come up with.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2309882

LaPorte
That's it! looks good, I like your choice of backroads!

Is the Magalia/ Pulga portion a whole other ride? or to be included in a day ride (2 days worth?)

JB
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #1219
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualizerent View Post
That's it! looks good, I like your choice of backroads!

Is the Magalia/ Pulga portion a whole other ride? or to be included in a day ride (2 days worth?)

JB
Whole other ride. Put in in the same file for convenience.

LaPorte
Old 09-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #1220
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Timed event

Quote:
I wish they had alternate routes on 36 with jumps and hairpins,maybe some nice smooth watered dirt corners for laughs.
"They" want 36 to be a nice road for large trucks going to the coast and back.

It should also be closed one day a year to do timed runs from end to end,kinda like the Isle Of Man but with probably even more ambulances.

Just a thought.
What could be better than having the road closed for a day and holding a timed event like Isle of Man.
I guess if we had to stop and spank Laia Sanz half way there, and then jump back on the bike and race her the rest of the way, that would be more exciting. Anyone beating her to the finish line can marry her. Now that sounds like a good day. Oh, that would be a personal dream.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #1221
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Hookalatch

You alright. Fire looks to have settled down. where you out scrapping foot pegs causing sparks.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #1222
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
What could be better than having the road closed for a day and holding a timed event like Isle of Man.
I guess if we had to stop and spank Laia Sanz half way there, and then jump back on the bike and race her the rest of the way, that would be more exciting. Anyone beating her to the finish line can marry her. Now that sounds like a good day. Oh, that would be a personal dream.
All of that and more! Hold the race on my B-Day,haybales on all the offending trees,put all the wandering cows on leashes,mandatory quality dark beer stop in Platina/Mad River,Radar guns with special awards for top speeds.
Start the race in downtown Red Bluff en masse,none of this one at a time against the clock business.

I am sure any American Ins company would jump at the chance to get on board,its just a matter of logistics at this point.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #1223
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Course Marshall

Quote:
All of that and more! Hold the race on my B-Day,haybales on all the offending trees,put all the wandering cows on leashes,mandatory quality dark beer stop in Platina/Mad River,Radar guns with special awards for top speeds.
Start the race in downtown Red Bluff en masse,none of this one at a time against the clock business.

I am sure any American Ins company would jump at the chance to get on board,its just a matter of logistics at this point.
Sounds good. We will need to elect a committee to make sure things get out of hand.
I would like to nominate you as Course Marshall, especially if you can get Laia Sanz to join us. I plan to marry her someday. I have permission from my wife already. She says she will walk me down the isle.
Anyway Since you have became Course Marshall, I think you should announce the date soon, so we can plan appropriately.
As far as logistics, are you thinking one or two pints at each beer stop.
And I am a little fuzzy about the whole "Hay Bale" Thing. I think we should spike all "Offending" trees. that will keep them safe from crazy motorcyclist looking for short cuts.
The Pot growers on all the other roads will pay for Insurance if we hold our event just after harvest. That way the local law will be busy and they can be unnoticed for a spell.
So who is going to make plans for the afternoon festivities.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #1224
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Sounds good. We will need to elect a committee to make sure things get out of hand.
I would like to nominate you as Course Marshall, especially if you can get Laia Sanz to join us. I plan to marry her someday. I have permission from my wife already. She says she will walk me down the isle.
Anyway Since you have became Course Marshall, I think you should announce the date soon, so we can plan appropriately.
As far as logistics, are you thinking one or two pints at each beer stop.
And I am a little fuzzy about the whole "Hay Bale" Thing. I think we should spike all "Offending" trees. that will keep them safe from crazy motorcyclist looking for short cuts.
The Pot growers on all the other roads will pay for Insurance if we hold our event just after harvest. That way the local law will be busy and they can be unnoticed for a spell.
So who is going to make plans for the afternoon festivities.
Youve got some great Ideas there,I'll have to look into this Laia Sanz thing and see what her calender looks like.

There's a lot of "ifs" "oops" and "what have you's" to figure out.

Im heading out for a 3 day trip to the Reno Air Races,nothing like some 515mph antiques flying around to make a guy want some good beer.
Taking all back roads with camping gear on my streetbike,should be good.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #1225
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Reno Bound

So, if your Reno bound from the Chico area. You may see some crazy guy on a Dakar, He would be poking his nose in on the BMW Rally in Quincy.
But is just day trippen because of animals.

Which really sucks, Because I have a calendar that is given to me in December that tells me all my planned events. This year I had an event last weekend that was postponed to this weekend. but I had the Jefferson Rally this weekend. and it got canceled. So that opened up a trip to Idaho, which is where the family is going. I elected/volunteered to stay home to feed the animals. And since I was going to stay my wife volunteered my services to take care of friends animals also. So the most a can get away with is a quickie, maybe 20 hours or so.

Yes Oobus, no sleeping bag.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #1226
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Clover Fire

Quote:
You alright. Fire looks to have settled down. where you out scrapping foot pegs causing sparks.
Thanks for asking Hop. Monday afternoon/evening was unnerving. The fire was moving rapidly towards us but never got closer than about 6-8 miles away. As fast as it was moving that was way too close but then it headed west. Feel for the folks that lost everything.

Chuck
Old 09-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #1227
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Bucks Lake Dual Sport Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte View Post
visualizerent

This is the best I could come up with.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2309882

LaPorte
Tony, haven't seen any proposed dates for this ride. Have you come up with any?

Chuck
Old 09-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #1228
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Chuck

Sometime in Oct. I would like to see it rain at least once. Fire Danger/Dust. I will post a date.

Tony
Old 09-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #1229
ChicoProf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Question Quick rides?

Any tips for someone looking for some moderate (not too technical) trail riding near Chico? I've just bought a small dual sport (Kawasaki Super Sherpa, KL250), and am returning to this type of riding after a couple decades hiatus. I grew up riding on and off road in Colorado, and have really missed this.

Thanks for any ideas!
ChicoProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #1230
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Going for a ride tomorrow up to Lake Almanor leaving Corning @ 10:00a.m. and eating lunch in Chester.

Head back via 70 down the Canyon. Anybody want to join?
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote