ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #1231
rajohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobus View Post
Going for a ride tomorrow up to Lake Almanor leaving Corning @ 10:00a.m. and eating lunch in Chester.

Head back via 70 down the Canyon. Anybody want to join?

Are you heading up 36 or 32, I need to blow the cob-webs off the beast
rajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #1232
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Up 32 or somewhere else out of Chico - I'd just like to end up coming down 70. I'm open to ideas. I think Hookalatch will be joining the party.

Driving back from Fernley 5 years ago down this road was the reason I ended up buying a bike again. Wanted to check it off the list for the year!
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #1233
rajohn
Adventurer

Quote:
Up 32 or somewhere else out of Chico - I'd just like to end up coming down 70. I'm open to ideas. I think Hookalatch will be joining the party.

Driving back from Fernley 5 years ago down this road was the reason I ended up buying a bike again. Wanted to check it off the list for the year!
Let me know what time your heading thru Chico, just threw the battery charger on the beast, she should wake in the morning.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #1234
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoProf View Post
Any tips for someone looking for some moderate (not too technical) trail riding near Chico? I've just bought a small dual sport (Kawasaki Super Sherpa, KL250), and am returning to this type of riding after a couple decades hiatus. I grew up riding on and off road in Colorado, and have really missed this.

Thanks for any ideas!
There are all kinds of forest roads to ride just outside of Chico. If you go up Butte Canyon you can get onto some dirt roads pretty quick and then stay mostly on dirt all the way up to Chester. If you go through Cohasset the road turns to dirt and you can ride to the end of the 32 or cut over through the valley and come out closer to Forest Ranch. There are a lot of fun little cruises around here.
LucasLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #1235
rajohn
Adventurer

Quote:

Looks like 32 is still experiencing delays do to road work, you might want to do 36. The beast has fired up and I'm heading up the canyon. If you see an old bearded fat man on a grey gs give him a wave..
Old 09-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #1236
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Deer Season Sept 28 through Nov 3

In case your interested, Deer season opens on Sept 28th and closes on Nov 3rd in area D3 that include these counties.

Butte
Colusa
Glenn
Nevada
Placer
Plumas
Sierra
Sutter
Yuba

Some of the best riding time of the year. So don't attach antlers to your helmet. LOL

LaPorte

LaPorte screwed with this post 09-14-2013 at 10:52 AM
LaPorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #1237
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,709
Hey Lucas,,,

How you doin'? Long time no hear.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #1238
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
How you doin'? Long time no hear.
Hey doing well! Going to be very busy with my last year at school but I'm looking forward to getting some rides in now that it's cooling down. I still check in on this thread to keep an eye out for rides.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #1239
redog1
KLR650-2009

Laugh For your entertainment...

I dedcided to take a short ride today, needed some "me" time. I've been working hard recently with a recent move and very busy at work, today would have been my sweeties 50th birthday, she passed almost 6 years ago so I thought I'd take a ride and just do some reflection, Loaded up the fishing gear and a small cooler and headed to High Lakes area. One of my favorite rides. Just a few pics, got there about 11:00am.

Threw a couple of old dried up salmon eggs into the water, I really need some new bait.

I sat back and just relaxed, reflected and took in being in Gods Country. I absolutely love it up here. There wasn't a soul around for about the first hour. I sat back, got a couple of little bites but nothing productive. I watched a KingFisher have better luck than me but I didn't much care, I was happy just to be out.

After a couple of hours I decided it was time to head back. I knew there was going to be a challenge no matter which way I went so I went the "easier" way since I was by myself. Either way I went I was faced with a rocky hill climb, make rocks your favorite. I approached the hill I had chosen, picked what I thought was a good line and hit it. Well one rock rolled and threw me into a different line with the end result....

Poor ol' blue. Threw my ass into the rocks. I gathered myself back together, got the heavy pig up and went to evaluating the damage, hmmm, broken choke lever housing, clutch lever and mirror tweaked, fairing brackets tweaked. Ok not to bad, got everything "tweaked" back inline to get me home, got on and started to ride, oh-oh, something isn't right, my rear suspension isn't compressing more that a couple of inches.
Forgot a couple of pics.

hmmm, rock caught in the spring or dog bones
Nope all looked good, found the left rear foot peg bent in and the swing arm hitting it..

The rock just left of the rear wheel is the one that bent the footpeg.

Out came the tools, took the foot peg off, straightened things up and reassembled. Rode home had a beer and posted this.
It's all good, I had fun and needed a nice little thearapy ride.

Lucas I have a ride to do if you're interested in a challenge. I don't know the extent of it since I turned back, looked like something I shouldn't do alone.the voice of reason spoke to me.

redog1 screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 03:34 PM
redog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #1240
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Lucas I have a ride to do if you're interested in a challenge. I don't know the extent of it since I turned back, looked like something I shouldn't do alone.the voice of reason spoke to me.
I'm up for it. I know some of those trails around the High Lakes are pretty rough 4x4 trails. I was told to check out the Jeep trails out past Black Rock. I think they're the same trails we saw on the map when we rode Hogsback. Have you checked that area out yet?
Old 09-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #1241
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Great ride on Saturday with Hookalatch - Hwy 70 is much easier on a bike than in a truck pulling a trailer.

First time for me thru Indian Valley, what a great find bet that place is spectacular in the fall. Even got to pass a few bikes thru the twisties - first time for me. Does it still count if they are Harleys?

Thanks Chuck!
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #1242
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Great ride on Saturday with Hookalatch - Hwy 70 is much easier on a bike than in a truck pulling a trailer.

First time for me thru Indian Valley, what a great find bet that place is spectacular in the fall. Even got to pass a few bikes thru the twisties - first time for me. Does it still count if they are Harleys?

Thanks Chuck!
Hey Matt, we actually passed that group of Hardleys twice! So you did a twofer. After extending my putt through Lassen I hit exactly 333.3 miles for the ride. You made those 400cc talk pretty good on the ride and I had a great time. I hope others that follow this thread will continue to post up intended rides. We may all eventually get to know each other.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #1243
redog1
KLR650-2009

The trail I was looking at...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasLeader View Post
I'm up for it. I know some of those trails around the High Lakes are pretty rough 4x4 trails. I was told to check out the Jeep trails out past Black Rock. I think they're the same trails we saw on the map when we rode Hogsback. Have you checked that area out yet?
...is the one where you turn left at the sign board when you get to the top of High Lakes rd. I followed it on the gps and it looks to come out on the east end of Snag Lake.
I haven't done much riding this year locally so no I haven't checked out any roads up around Black Rock. I'm game though. Guess I got a slight sprain to my right wrist from yesterdays tip over. Pretty sore this morning.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #1244
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,363
Quote:

Thanks Chuck!
I rode down 70 Sunday on the way back from the Air Races in Reno,not much traffic for a Sunday.

An interesting route off 70/89 is up through Taylorsville,the road narrows and heads up to Antelope Lake,theres camping there and the road keeps going to hiway 395. Theres a bunch of dirt roads going south from the Antelope Lake area that go to Frenchman's Lake and all around and about.
Its a neat curvy paved road to 395. Snow will close it at some point.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #1245
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,363
Quote:
...is the one where you turn left at the sign board when you get to the top of High Lakes rd. I followed it on the gps and it looks to come out on the east end of Snag Lake.
I haven't done much riding this year locally so no I haven't checked out any roads up around Black Rock. I'm game though. Guess I got a slight sprain to my right wrist from yesterdays tip over. Pretty sore this morning.
Thats a LOT of bike to crash in sharp rocks,its good it didnt break anything serious on you or it. I really try not to throw my DR on the ground but you never know when it will happen.

Id like to have a plate on my 200 KTM for episodes in big rocks.