ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #1246
visualizerent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
[QUOTE=redog1;22336880]I dedcided to take a short ride today, needed some "me" time. I've been working hard recently with a recent move and very busy at work, today would have been my sweeties 50th birthday, she passed almost 6 years ago so I thought I'd take a ride and just do some reflection, Loaded up the fishing gear and a small cooler and headed to High Lakes area. One of my favorite rides.

Great Post! 44, man that's awful young.....

I thought the High Lakes would be a bit too rocky on the KLR...

Made it up to the Air Races on the KTM, Henness Pass, Dog Valley, Long Valley rd to Border Town, found some great ridgetop singletrack nearby and plenty of whooped out trails.

Camped here, Sawmill lake- TNF then proceeded on the next morning.

East Pylon looking West.

Anyone know the story here? Just West of Stead, between Stead and Cold Springs NV.

Juan
Nevada City
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #1247
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,552
That bikes been accross High Lakes...

Several times over the past 2 years. 1st time it's put me down up there, just hit my line wrong, shouldn't have happened. Rode Heness Pass last year on my 09, had a great time, I think I remember that Lake.

Yeah, way too young, massive stroke. 2nd one took her.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #1248
Hookalatch
Old and in the way

Oddometer: 273
[QUOTE=redog1;22336880]

After a couple of hours I decided it was time to head back. I knew there was going to be a challenge no matter which way I went so I went the "easier" way since I was by myself. Either way I went I was faced with a rocky hill climb, make rocks your favorite. I approached the hill I had chosen, picked what I thought was a good line and hit it. Well one rock rolled and threw me into a different line with the end result....

Poor ol' blue. Threw my ass into the rocks. I gathered myself back together, got the heavy pig up and went to evaluating the damage, hmmm, broken choke lever housing, clutch lever and mirror tweaked, fairing brackets tweaked. Ok not to bad, got everything "tweaked" back inline to get me home, got on and started to ride, oh-oh, something isn't right, my rear suspension isn't compressing more that a couple of inches.
Forgot a couple of pics.

hmmm, rock caught in the spring or dog bones
Nope all looked good, found the left rear foot peg bent in and the swing arm hitting it..

The rock just left of the rear wheel is the one that bent the footpeg.

Good on ya Redog for doing such a frequent undercarriage inspection of your vehicles. It is an important preventative maintenance item that many people ignore.

Is that the worst of the trail obstacles one would encounter on a trip to the high lakes? How long is the really rocky area? If the answer to the first question is no, forget the second part.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #1249
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
...is the one where you turn left at the sign board when you get to the top of High Lakes rd. I followed it on the gps and it looks to come out on the east end of Snag Lake.
I haven't done much riding this year locally so no I haven't checked out any roads up around Black Rock. I'm game though. Guess I got a slight sprain to my right wrist from yesterdays tip over. Pretty sore this morning.
Brien,

I probably have my old choke housing with cable and all the works if you need it.
Glad you faired better than "ol' Blue". It can be kinda sketchy riding alone...
Old 09-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #1250
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,011
[QUOTE=Hookalatch;22345065]
Quote:

After a couple of hours I decided it was time to head back. I knew there was going to be a challenge no matter which way I went so I went the "easier" way since I was by myself. Either way I went I was faced with a rocky hill climb, make rocks your favorite. I approached the hill I had chosen, picked what I thought was a good line and hit it. Well one rock rolled and threw me into a different line with the end result....

Poor ol' blue. Threw my ass into the rocks. I gathered myself back together, got the heavy pig up and went to evaluating the damage, hmmm, broken choke lever housing, clutch lever and mirror tweaked, fairing brackets tweaked. Ok not to bad, got everything "tweaked" back inline to get me home, got on and started to ride, oh-oh, something isn't right, my rear suspension isn't compressing more that a couple of inches.
Forgot a couple of pics.

hmmm, rock caught in the spring or dog bones
Nope all looked good, found the left rear foot peg bent in and the swing arm hitting it..

The rock just left of the rear wheel is the one that bent the footpeg.

Good on ya Redog for doing such a frequent undercarriage inspection of your vehicles. It is an important preventative maintenance item that many people ignore.

Is that the worst of the trail obstacles one would encounter on a trip to the high lakes? How long is the really rocky area? If the answer to the first question is no, forget the second part.

Chuck
There are rocks of all sizes and shapes up that way,just depends on which lake and direction you go. Many are 4 wheel drive roads that have been worn down to their bare bones from years of use.

Some roads are nothing but stretches of boulders that 4X4 's even have to winch over,some are fun easy gravelly roads. I havent been riding up that way in a really long time and would like to do so before the snow flies.
I might take my 530KTM with the big tank on it though.

Speaking of which,maybe rain by this sat! Yeeeaaahh!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #1251
redog1
KLR650-2009

Thumbs down Hey Chuck...

...short answer to your first question is NO. sorry.

Hey Brian, I'm not too worried about the choke housing, bike starts pretty good without the choke. Sometime when we connect I'll get that from you and I appreciate the offer, most certianly will pay you for it. Right now I need to get the bike fixed back up, I have a buddy that may be going for a ride with me to the coast, attempting that one again since my April trip wasn't what I wanted it to be.

I did wake up this morning realizing that I had sprained my wrist, no big deal. Been a while since I had tipped over so I think I was over due.
When are you coming up to play? I still owe you that High Lakes ride.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #1252
redog1
KLR650-2009

Come on Footdragger...

...we've been going back and forth for awhile about getting together for a ride, let's do it!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #1253
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,011
Quote:
...we've been going back and forth for awhile about getting together for a ride, let's do it!
Are you riding to the Coast this weekend? Id like to get together for a ride sometime,the weekend after this coming one Im riding over to the ADV gathering at Rio Nido and attending the Sac Mile that sunday as well. The Antelope lake ride I did the other day was neat,lots of dirt roads to explore out that way.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #1254
redog1
KLR650-2009

I have it planned for the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Are you riding to the Coast this weekend? Id like to get together for a ride sometime,the weekend after this coming one Im riding over to the ADV gathering at Rio Nido and attending the Sac Mile that sunday as well. The Antelope lake ride I did the other day was neat,lots of dirt roads to explore out that way.
11th-13th of October. Want to come along? Looks like I may be going alone again. Date is firm, I'm committed (or should be ) couple of friends are up in the air. One has a wedding he's supposed to attend,, the other may be unemployed by then, but he does already have a plane ticket credit he could use due to missing the OBCDR ride I did in July.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #1255
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,599
Finally getting the plate on my ATK. Need to make a shake down ride. Was hoping for anybody interested in doing something this weekend. Maybe Cohasset to Chester. I know it might be boring for some but I know the route and I know it's doable now. Looking to just get some miles on the bike at an easy pace.
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #1256
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Varied comments

High lakes on a KLR; It's Redog1.
The guy is made of steel I tell you.
What about the Military Pass incident last summer.
No fear.

Oobus and Hookalatch on 32.
And no tickets?

I have spent the last week measuring straight away distances and corner radius's on 36 out to the coast. I also have calculated the corner speed signs and have established a consistence to them. I have taken several other readings that will remain a secret. I am trying to determine which motorcycle will give me the best chance at winning FootDraggers 1st annual race from downtown Red Bluff to Fortuna.

I have classified the corners into 4 categories. I was trying to keep it to 3 but after determining that I was not getting a close enough reading I reprogrammed things and have came up with very good information. Again however I must keep this information a secret. my desire to marry Laia is going to kill me
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #1257
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
High lakes on a KLR; It's Redog1.
The guy is made of steel I tell you.
What about the Military Pass incident last summer.
No fear.

Oobus and Hookalatch on 32.
And no tickets?

I have spent the last week measuring straight away distances and corner radius's on 36 out to the coast. I also have calculated the corner speed signs and have established a consistence to them. I have taken several other readings that will remain a secret. I am trying to determine which motorcycle will give me the best chance at winning FootDraggers 1st annual race from downtown Red Bluff to Fortuna.

I have classified the corners into 4 categories. I was trying to keep it to 3 but after determining that I was not getting a close enough reading I reprogrammed things and have came up with very good information. Again however I must keep this information a secret. my desire to marry Laia is going to kill me
Sounds like you are taking notes for a Rally Co-Pilot. I've ridden with you and no, I won't be a pillion or side car monkey on your quest for glory!

Weather should be great for riding this weekend, chance of showers, nice and cool, wish I could go along with you Bob.
oobus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #1258
redog1
KLR650-2009

Eek Hop-Sing, you ok?

...You seem a little delusional??? I'm just a fat old man that enjoys a good ride.
You're certianly no slouch! I seem to remember you putting the pressure on me on a short bit of Hwy 36 when we first met in March of last year. Put me at my limit on that loaded pig of mine. It did help me to keep up with Lionsroaar, otherwise I would have just let him go and met him in Red Bluff.

Is this the event on Military Pass Rd. you speak of?

redog1 screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 06:53 PM
redog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #1259
redog1
KLR650-2009

Hey Bob,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Tosi View Post
Finally getting the plate on my ATK. Need to make a shake down ride. Was hoping for anybody interested in doing something this weekend. Maybe Cohasset to Chester. I know it might be boring for some but I know the route and I know it's doable now. Looking to just get some miles on the bike at an easy pace.
What day are you going to do this? I was thinking about taking a ride over to Butt Lake, never been there. Jeramie, you interested? you out there?
Hello, Hello?
Old 09-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #1260
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
My point exactly

Quote:
...You seem a little delusional??? I'm just a fat old man that enjoys a good ride.
You're certainly no slouch! I seem to remember you putting the pressure on me on a short bit of Hwy 36 when we first met in March of last year. Put me at my limit on that loaded pig of mine. It did help me to keep up with Lionsroaar, otherwise I would have just let him go and met him in Red Bluff.

Is this the event on Military Pass Rd. you speak of?
See.. I put a little pressure on him on Hwy 36. he was coming back from the coast on a 3 day outing. {loaded} on a KLR with knobbies.
I was on a BMW with dual sport street tires, and had no gear. lionsroar and redog1 were taking corners faster than anyone I have seen on Knobbies.
And again on Military Pass, a group of us where up there the day before this picture and everyone took alternate routes around the fesh fesh. Redog1 had to go back the next day and do it by himself, Because he wanted too.
Delusional, is a bit scary. I have vision, and an imagination that I let soar sometimes, well a lot. When it comes to Dual sport riding, ReDog1 can do it. With class.

And Oobus if you kept up with Chuck on 32 you must have been pulling on the throttle pretty hard. he rolls that big gs out on roads like that.

Any guesses on what the computer thinks the best bike would be for the 36 race? Or just what YOU think the fastest bike for this trip would be. I need to get it right away as I need to practice.
To help you decide I will give a little of my research. without going into much detail. I will want a bike that can come off a # 2 corner {60mph corner} and obtain a 140 mph speed in under 3 seconds. But it has to be light enough to work the # 1's into a #2 time. I have established that if the road sign says 30 mph it is fairly easy to take at 60. any turn on Hwy 36 that reads 25 is a #1 and 60 is a little fast for my BMW. After I get a couple of race bikes I can start working on temps and tires and start dialing them in.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote