ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #1276
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Tosi View Post
Camping behind a bar sounds like fun
Its about as easy as camping gets,if its warm the pool is always open,the hosts have coffee on early. Either a full on breakfast or nice continental style depending on which day.

They have a great cook or two,entertaining and cute bartender gals,its pretty fun!
Old 09-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #1277
The Heathen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Hope I'm not high jacking the thread here. I'm new to the Chico area. I'm looking to head up to Warner Valley Friday afternoon. I've heard 32 is closed near 36. Thinking of taking Humboldt Rd to 89 and on up from there...maybe. It looks like Humboldt turns to dirt at some point. I'll be on my 690. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also looking for a good mechanic in town...besides the dealer
The Heathen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #1278
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Welcome Heathen

Yes You can take the Skyway all the way through paradise/magalia and connect to humbolt and on over the hill. It turns to dirt at the very top where the y is to go to Butte Meadows. You will go right instead if left at the fork. This will take you over the hill to Chester. Check your maps!

If you want a good mechanic instead of the dealer go over to ironmandualsport.com. Robert Van Court, the owner can help you. He's a great guy! Good luck!
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #1279
The Heathen
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the info Bob. I'll take the Skyway route instead of 32, looks more interesting anyhow.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #1280
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

It will be high speed gravel pretty much all the way
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Old 09-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #1281
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heathen View Post
Thanks for the info Bob. I'll take the Skyway route instead of 32, looks more interesting anyhow.

32 was open the other weekend when I went thru, there was just a 30-45 minute delay at the slide just a few minutes from 36. Skyway sounds like more fun anyway, I've never been up that way will need to give it a shot.

Second the vote for Dual Sport Bob!
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:07 PM   #1282
The Heathen
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm good with the Skyway route, looks much more entertaining. However, being the GPS illiterate knuckle head that I am, I'm a little concerned about all the intersections along the way. Seems like there are a lot of places to make a wrong turn or zig when I should've zagged. I've got my Nor Cal Butler map but it's not really zoomed in enough...if that makes sense.

Looked up the ironmandualsport.com guy. Looks pretty legit. I've got a few things I'd like to have someone with some real wrenching experience take care. I'll give him a call. The KTM dealer seems alright but....

Thanks for the advice, perhaps we'll run into each other on the trail someday.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #1283
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 326
Weekend Ride?

The weekend weather forecast and our recent rains may make this weekend a perfect day for some riding in the Northstate. Anyone else interested in a ride? I only recently mounted a front knobby to my GS and it sure feels better in the dirt than the round profile front tires I have used previously. Unfortunately I need to swap back to road tires for an upcoming extended trip and would like to abuse my existing tires one more time before making the switch. I would prefer a mix of road and dirt but any ride would be good.

I'll throw out one suggestion for the north end- Reeds Creek Road out of Red Bluff, couple of options when it turns to dirt, more options for getting to Hayfork and then Hyampom, dirt section from Hyampom to FS1. From there to Mad River or South Fork Rd. and back on Hwy 36. Can do several alternatives or all paved if that is preferred.

If someone else has another suggestion post it up.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #1284
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
I got's to work should be perfect weekend for riding
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #1285
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Ambitious Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
The weekend weather forecast and our recent rains may make this weekend a perfect day for some riding in the Northstate. Anyone else interested in a ride? I only recently mounted a front knobby to my GS and it sure feels better in the dirt than the round profile front tires I have used previously. Unfortunately I need to swap back to road tires for an upcoming extended trip and would like to abuse my existing tires one more time before making the switch. I would prefer a mix of road and dirt but any ride would be good.

I'll throw out one suggestion for the north end- Reeds Creek Road out of Red Bluff, couple of options when it turns to dirt, more options for getting to Hayfork and then Hyampom, dirt section from Hyampom to FS1. From there to Mad River or South Fork Rd. and back on Hwy 36. Can do several alternatives or all paved if that is preferred.

If someone else has another suggestion post it up.

Chuck
Holy Crap!. I need to get my ass out to the shop. If I can get my bike ready I would like to go out Reeds Cr. Rd. Hit Petty John up the hill, past Rat Trap and Tedoc out to 36. But that's like 70 miles of dirt so I would be ready to head back on 36 then rather than going out to Hyampom.
Its fair weekend and I will be going there at night. So your typical 333 mile day would leave me out. When are you going? Saturday or Sunday
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #1286
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

step one

warming the new tire.

another reason I can't stay gone to long. Eggs are due to hatch today or tomorrow.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #1287
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
Holy Crap!. I need to get my ass out to the shop. If I can get my bike ready I would like to go out Reeds Cr. Rd. Hit Petty John up the hill, past Rat Trap and Tedoc out to 36. But that's like 70 miles of dirt so I would be ready to head back on 36 then rather than going out to Hyampom.
Its fair weekend and I will be going there at night. So your typical 333 mile day would leave me out. When are you going? Saturday or Sunday
The only problem with leaving out Hymapom is the dirt section from there to Forest Service ! is the best part of the the whole ride. The rest can be all paved or any combo to make the ride longer or shorter. I can do it any way on either day.
Hope you can make it or that someone else has another idea.

Hop Sing, I don't think you should stay home to hatch your eggs. I think they got scrambled a long time ago. But that is not necessarily a bad thing!

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #1288
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Heathen

Bob is legit no worries. I've bought several things from him and he rebuilds his own engines...... So you are in good hands with him
Old 09-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #1289
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

weekend plans

I got my tire changed and gave it a little test ride. I am waiting to see if I can go cut wood tomorrow. no word yet and if not I want to ride. maybe sunday could work also. I'll keep checking.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #1290
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

If I can get the beast running I might be up for it.