ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2013, 04:55 AM   #1306
Klrcharlie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Ya I don't want to ride it all in one day I want to take my time. Take lots of pics, I hope I can get someone to ride with. If I can't find anyone to go I will just have to go it alone. I did find free camping. Campground doesn't have water but that's fine I will bring my own.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #1307
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
150 miles of hidden singletrack and jeep roads over the weekend,catered lunch for 14 of us each day at Snag Lake.
Our cook spoiled us with fresh coffee,had the grill going as popped out of the woods,table full of all sorts of stuff to eat.
The rock roads at the High Lakes never cease to entertain,no dirt left just piles of rocks of all sizes from rock crawlers bashing their way through.

We rode much singletrack that had only been walked an ribboned,no logs cut.
Cant remember where any of it was.

The Mayor of Ragdump graciously allowed us to leave our vehicles in his locked compound,very handy and close to great trail.

We stayed at Prattville on Lake Almanor and were fed like kings,ice chests full of Sierra Nevada's finest greeted us on arrival.

Some may like riding big bikes at the High Lakes, but I was very happy to be on a 200KTM with a cushy seat on it,keeping some speed up through the rocks would be ugly on a 300+ lb bike.
I even saw the spot where Reddogs KLR took it's nap.

The rain/snow sat night meant jumping a bunch of slimy barkless logs in the deep woods on Sunday,0 traction and hard to get a straight shot while pinballing through rocks/roots.

All in all we were a lucky crew,our organizer took great care of us,nobody got lost thanks to steady chase riders,no serious breakdowns,not many crashes that I saw anyway,all broken bikes were able to continue.

I dont usually ride in big groups but this was a fun one.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #1308
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
getting cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
150 miles of hidden singletrack and jeep roads over the weekend,catered lunch for 14 of us each day at Snag Lake.
Our cook spoiled us with fresh coffee,had the grill going as popped out of the woods,table full of all sorts of stuff to eat.
The rock roads at the High Lakes never cease to entertain,no dirt left just piles of rocks of all sizes from rock crawlers bashing their way through.

We rode much singletrack that had only been walked an ribboned,no logs cut.
Cant remember where any of it was.

The Mayor of Ragdump graciously allowed us to leave our vehicles in his locked compound,very handy and close to great trail.

We stayed at Prattville on Lake Almanor and were fed like kings,ice chests full of Sierra Nevada's finest greeted us on arrival.

Some may like riding big bikes at the High Lakes, but I was very happy to be on a 200KTM with a cushy seat on it,keeping some speed up through the rocks would be ugly on a 300+ lb bike.
I even saw the spot where Reddogs KLR took it's nap.

The rain/snow sat night meant jumping a bunch of slimy barkless logs in the deep woods on Sunday,0 traction and hard to get a straight shot while pinballing through rocks/roots.

All in all we were a lucky crew,our organizer took great care of us,nobody got lost thanks to steady chase riders,no serious breakdowns,not many crashes that I saw anyway,all broken bikes were able to continue.

I dont usually ride in big groups but this was a fun one.
Sounds like a good time. I spent a couple of nights camping up above Grass Valley where Hwy 20 meets Hwy 80, Eagle lakes turn off. Signal Peak OHV. Anyway it's starting to get cold out. I competed on Saturday wearing thermal underwear. That is very rare, maybe in the past ten years I have worn them during an event about 3 times. Tired I climbed in the bag at about 8 to warm myself and recuperate for the next days event.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #1309
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
Sounds like a good time. I spent a couple of nights camping up above Grass Valley where Hwy 20 meets Hwy 80, Eagle lakes turn off. Signal Peak OHV. Anyway it's starting to get cold out. I competed on Saturday wearing thermal underwear. That is very rare, maybe in the past ten years I have worn them during an event about 3 times. Tired I climbed in the bag at about 8 to warm myself and recuperate for the next days event.
Oh Yeah,the Trials event. It has to be cold to ride Trials in long underwear. Pretty good work out climbing around on those things. New trophy in the Hop Sing household?

Some of our party brought no windbreakers or jackets,after the snow/rain sat night it was beyond chilly. We would do a wet woods section,pretty much getting wet top to bottom then do a road section at 45mph and freezing hands and bodies became the norm.
I took one of those flyweight KLIM windbreakers and was very glad I did,and some leather gloves instead of flimsy dirtbike gloves helped a bit.

Preparation is key,High Sierras in Oct = non ventilated pants and overall windproof coverage that can be taken off or on easily.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #1310
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
Hey Footdragger,

"I even saw the spot where Reddogs KLR took it's nap."

I imagine my rides would be pretty boring for you. We talk about getting together for a ride, will it materialize one day? I probably couldn't ride the single track that you do. Maybe one day I'll have the KLX250s that i'd like to have.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #1311
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Trophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Oh Yeah,the Trials event. It has to be cold to ride Trials in long underwear. Pretty good work out climbing around on those things. New trophy in the Hop Sing household?

Some of our party brought no windbreakers or jackets,after the snow/rain sat night it was beyond chilly. We would do a wet woods section,pretty much getting wet top to bottom then do a road section at 45mph and freezing hands and bodies became the norm.
I took one of those flyweight KLIM windbreakers and was very glad I did,and some leather gloves instead of flimsy dirtbike gloves helped a bit.

Preparation is key,High Sierras in Oct = non ventilated pants and overall windproof coverage that can be taken off or on easily.
Trials event, yes. Trophy, well that's a bit of a different story. When we go we uasally have 2,3,4 riders. we almost always come home with at least one. This weekend only two of us went. it is coming down to the end of the year with only one more event remaining after this event.
I have been kicking ass all year. rarely beaten, this is however because I ride a lower class than what I am able to because of some heath reason I have been facing. Saturday I moved back one line this year for this reason. So at this event I did not need a strong finish to wrap up end of the year Trophy. So after taking only 2 marks on my first loop I started goofing off and taking harder lines. I ended in third which cemented my Saturday 1st place end of the year Trophy. Sunday is a completely different competion. I rode the same class I have been riding the past four years. I had the end of the year Trophy won by the seventh event, we have 11 this year. I have won it the past 4 year and plan on riding a pleasure class next year so someone else can win it. It is a revolving trophy and my name is on it enough. I will come back and win it again hopefully after I give someone else a crack at it.
My son goofs of most the time because he really doesn't care that much. He is also riding against much harder competitors. He missed a Trophy by a single mark on Sunday. and I think he got fourth on Saturday. I worked The event Sunday and took some pictures. I'll see if I can forward a link.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #1312
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Granite Trials

http://s229.photobucket.com/user/chi...e%20Trial%2013

A few pictures from the Sunday Class A Trial.

This was the section I checked on Sunday, what a great spot to spend the day with 40 of your friends.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #1313
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Anyone up for Fordyce Jeep Trail on Saturday the 19th?

Heard the flows are down and water is doable, but haven't confirmed that yet. Will be on a trials bike. Might have one rider joining, otherwise prolly won't go it alone.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #1314
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Dual Sport Ride !!!!
Saturday, October 26th
Ready to ride at 9:00 am.

Presented by
Chico Honda Motorsports
and
Ironman Dual Sport

We'll be meeting at Chico Honda, 11096 Midway
This will be an easy Dual Sport ride, 50/50 dirt and pavement
Designed for ALL riders. This is not a trail ride but a chance for
Dual Sport riders in our community and surrounding areas to
meet and enjoy a great days ride and the fantastic fall scenery.
Bring snacks, water, etc. We'll have a fuel and lunch stop along the way
Show up early for free coffee and donuts and check out the new
Honda Motorcycles, plus great gear and accessories
We'll hand out route maps Sat. morning.
For more info contact bob@ironmandualsport.com

Old 10-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #1315
Klrcharlie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
That sounds like fun. Count me in.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #1316
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

I look forward to seeing you there Klrcharlie. It's guaranteed to be fun, we'll be riding!

Old 10-19-2013, 01:28 AM   #1317
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 698
Is there anyway for us to see the route before hand. (google earth/map ect..)?
My motorcycle is 5000 times faster then a centipede!
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #1318
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

I'll go out and ride it sometime this week then post it. Probably just tie together some of my existing tracks. Like I said it's going to be an EASY ride and since I do this for a living I'm pretty confidant I can come up with something everyone will enjoy. The possible lunch locations I'm thinking about now are Butte Meadows, Belden, La Porte, etc. or maybe even Chester. Probably about 150 miles total for the day. For this ride my main concern will be finding great scenery and staying away from challenging sections, I'll save the challenges for a different ride.

Should be able to put something together from this mess

Rockgarden Bob screwed with this post 10-19-2013 at 12:04 PM
Rockgarden Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #1319
ChicoProf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Sounds like fun to me!
ChicoProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #1320
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
Bob,

I may just have to join you for this. Count me in, if anythings changes I'll let you know.