ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #1366
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
So looks Like I'm kind of busy this week working on bikes in the shop, Got a few new guys KTMs that need service, so Brad I can't do it this week. Joel's idea makes me think this is the perfect ride to have an easy and intermediate route and all meet at La Porte for lunch. I feel a ride coming together!
Old 10-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #1367
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgarden Bob View Post
So looks Like I'm kind of busy this week working on bikes in the shop, Got a few new guys KTMs that need service, so Brad I can't do it this week. Joel's idea makes me think this is the perfect ride to have an easy and intermediate route and all meet at La Porte for lunch. I feel a ride coming together!
Old 10-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #1368
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
No I haven't ridden that but I'm in if you're going to do it. I haven't ridden much on the other side of Hwy 70. I need to get out more. I'll have to get the other bike out for that one but it's ready.
I can see you on a KTM,once you ride a good one it will be all over.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #1369
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Those people in Laporte sometimes close early in the year,be good to check and see whats open. They get 25' of snow up there sometimes by mid winter.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #1370
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

I'll try to contact the people in LaPorte today and see if and when they plan to close for the season. I know that some businesses stay open all year since it's very popular for the snowmobiles. I'm thinking we should do this ride either Sunday , November 10th or the following week the 17th. With winter showing up anytime now, we need to do any high elevation rides ASAP. I'm getting the routes figured out pretty well. The Easy route will be almost all paved back roads that are a very fun ride with just a few miles of dirt. The intermediate route to LaPorte will be about 80% dirt with a bailout possibility onto the easy route about 1/2 way through. This should make it a fun ride for any rider no matter skill level or what they ride.

[CENTER]
This is on the intermediate route overlooking Little Grass Valley Reservoir.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #1371
redog1
KLR650-2009

Laugh That's what I'm afraid of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I can see you on a KTM,once you ride a good one it will be all over.
I am planning on going "shopping" next year about this time. Haven't really made up my mind on what bike but KTM is the brand. We'll see how next year goes.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #1372
visualizerent
Raconteur

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Brian have you ridden through Milsap Bar bar before? If so what do you think of that route? Thanks Bob
Bob, here's a 10 min. vid I shot of the route on the big KLR 650 and some other big adventure bikes last winter. Easy ride. It's a good connector as you can see on the map and one of the only routes across the Feather river.

You will again appreciate the depth of the feather river canyon.

This vid goes from East to West starting near Oregon Hill Rd by Bullards Bar resv.

Lotsa nice stream crossings (bridges). Good trout fishing?

Juan
Nevada City
KTM 350 EXC-F
KTM200
KLR 650
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #1373
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualizerent View Post
Bob, here's a 10 min. vid I shot of the route on the big KLR 650 and some other big adventure bikes last winter. Easy ride. It's a good connector as you can see on the map and one of the only routes across the Feather river.

You will again appreciate the depth of the feather river canyon.

This vid goes from East to West starting near Oregon Hill Rd by Bullards Bar resv.

Lotsa nice stream crossings (bridges). Good trout fishing?

Juan
Nevada City
KTM 350 EXC-F
KTM200
KLR 650
Juan! The trails will snow in soon maybe at Ragdump,if you want to come check em out soon would be a good time.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #1374
redog1
KLR650-2009

Nice clip Juan.

So much exploring to be done.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #1375
tweeder
Farkle Queen

Oddometer: 451
Cleghorn Bar and Stag Point

These are one way trips, but they are the only motorized access to the Wild and Scenic section of the Middle Fork of the Feather River. Wouldn't recommend them for beginners though...
Old 10-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #1376
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Great video, Juan !!! Quite a bit of that is what I have planned to include in our next ride. Has anybody taken the Port Wine Ridge from La Porte to New Bullards Bars Reservoir?

Rockgarden Bob screwed with this post 10-29-2013 at 12:58 PM
Rockgarden Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #1377
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Nice route

[QUOTE=visualizerent;22660285]Bob, here's a 10 min. vid I shot of the route on the big KLR 650 and some other big adventure bikes last winter. Easy ride. It's a good connector as you can see on the map and one of the only routes across the Feather river.

Wow, I need to do this one. And people are riding Adventure bikes, not a mx'er with lights. not that that's a bad thing, just like to ride with people that have a bike that's as big as mine so we don't end up log jumping.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #1378
Foot dragger
singletracker

[QUOTE=Hop-Sing;22663528]
Quote:

Wow, I need to do this one. And people are riding Adventure bikes, not a mx'er with lights. not that that's a bad thing, just like to ride with people that have a bike that's as big as mine so we don't end up log jumping.
You need to come out and ride this one,log jumping builds character though.
I rode Bob's last ride with a smooth rear tire but a knobby will be on the back soon.

I vaguely remember riding this route on an RD350 with low hanging expansion chambers a while ago,like nearly 3o years ago after an all nighter at the Cascade bar after the Memorial Day Trials PITS used to have up there. It was a blur though.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #1379
Foot dragger
singletracker

[QUOTE=Hop-Sing;22663528]
Quote:

Actually Hop Sing,I was hoping that you,as our one and only Trials afficianado would put on a display of talent and grace showing us all how to go over 4' logs..........? No? Let me know and I will line up some checkers and ribbons.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #1380
visualizerent
Raconteur

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Juan! The trails will snow in soon maybe at Ragdump,if you want to come check em out soon would be a good time.
Ya gotta love a place named Ragdump! Does anyone know the story behind the name?

I'd love to check it out soon...I'll check in here...

Juan
Nevada City
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote