ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #1381
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualizerent View Post
Ya gotta love a place named Ragdump! Does anyone know the story behind the name?

I'd love to check it out soon...I'll check in here...

Juan
Nevada City
Howard,who lives there, has all the history of Ragdump and the surrounding area in his head,also has some great old and new books he has dug up.

It was an Indian living area,a mining camp,lumber camp,narrow gauge railroad ran near there once,flumes for floating finished lumber out of the woods ran nearby,Howard knows all this stuff.

Also Ishi history is all over that area. I know enough singletrack to wear out most people in a day up that way.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #1382
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
There's enough single track to wear out most people for several days
Old 10-30-2013, 05:36 AM   #1383
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgarden Bob View Post
There's enough single track to wear out most people for several days
True,I rode an 88 miler out of Ragdump once,took most of the day and was 90 some % singletrack going straight up and down and around,I rode with an ISDE rider and he admitted he was worked. He wished he had brought his good bike and not an XR400. For me the 200XCW is good up there.
Its the best traction imaginable with the DG everywhere.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #1384
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Going to go exploring on Sunday, looking for a mostly dirt route from Oroville to New Bullards Bar Res. to La Porte. I already have a good dirt route back but may try to improve that also. Anybody interested in riding along is welcome, I will be looking for a route with a few challenges and trying to keep a pretty good pace. Meet at the Lakeside Market 5250 Olive Hwy. (162) Oroville at 8:30 am, Sunday morning, Don't forget to set your clocks back Saturday night. Weather should be great although a little cool in the morning.

This was taken at an old mine outside of LaPorte

Old 11-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #1385
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,122

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #1386
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
[QUOTE=Foot dragger;22665243]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
Actually Hop Sing,I was hoping that you,as our one and only Trials afficianado would put on a display of talent and grace showing us all how to go over 4' logs..........? No? Let me know and I will line up some checkers and ribbons.
4 foot logs, that is getting pretty big for an old man like myself. Of course if I can put my feet down on top the log it might be a bit easier. And I am not the only Trials minded rider watching this thread. He has commented about some rides he takes and has invited people to tag along. He was talking about a 70 mile loop that he would need a trials bike to do.
My dual sport is just to big for me to get off the road to far. I am checking into getting a smaller one that I could use to take on these more challenging single track trails.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #1387
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

That other guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
Heard the flows are down and water is doable, but haven't confirmed that yet. Will be on a trials bike. Might have one rider joining, otherwise prolly won't go it alone.
This is a friend of mine. He can ride a motorcycle. loves a challenge.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #1388
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

For Sundays ride I'll be looking for stuff that might challenge the average Dual Sport rider. Hopefully no 4' logs and certainly single track like we ride in Ragdump would be a bit much. I'm mostly hoping to find 4X4 stuff and roads that are not used, plus, mines, old cabins, etc. are always something to search out.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #1389
Foot dragger
singletracker

[QUOTE=Hop-Sing;22688761]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post

4 foot logs, that is getting pretty big for an old man like myself. Of course if I can put my feet down on top the log it might be a bit easier. And I am not the only Trials minded rider watching this thread. He has commented about some rides he takes and has invited people to tag along. He was talking about a 70 mile loop that he would need a trials bike to do.
My dual sport is just to big for me to get off the road to far. I am checking into getting a smaller one that I could use to take on these more challenging single track trails.
Smaller dual sport..........Ive gone down that route a few times. Ive wrestled a DRZ400E to a sweating conclusion that they are also pigs,DR650 heavy,heavy. Even the 250 japanese dual sports are over 300lbs dry,and slow as stumps.

I bit the bullet and found a 2011 530KTM,bit of overkill but may save on hospital bills in the long run. A plated 230 Honda would be a good dual sport for casual use and not be a huge lumbering thing.

Id really like a plated 2013 300KTM but that's more a personal issue.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #1390
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,553
Bob,

I'd ride with you tommorrow if I didn't have plans already. I am looking forward to what you put together.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #1391
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

bike selection

[QUOTE=Foot dragger;22690127]
Quote:
Smaller dual sport..........Ive gone down that route a few times. Ive wrestled a DRZ400E to a sweating conclusion that they are also pigs,DR650 heavy,heavy. Even the 250 japanese dual sports are over 300lbs dry,and slow as stumps.

I bit the bullet and found a 2011 530KTM,bit of overkill but may save on hospital bills in the long run. A plated 230 Honda would be a good dual sport for casual use and not be a huge lumbering thing.

Id really like a plated 2013 300KTM but that's more a personal issue.
Takes for the input on bike selection. I haven't ridden any of the newer dual sport bikes. what I want and what I should get are two separate things. I would like something super, Husky, Aprila, Beta, the list grows. But I think a Honda 230 might be the good as I have gotten older than my throttle hand. I am kinda big for that bike though and I have a feeling I am going to want more power/speed. I sat on a 230 and feel it is to small. I am 6 2 and 200 lbs so

when people talk about the KTM's I don't have a clue at what bike is what. what is your 300. I want something I am not going to have to fight DMV with about using on the road.

I love my BMW 650 but am thinking about a 1200 and then a smaller bike would have to be purchased
Old 11-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #1392
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

something like this?

Old 11-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #1393
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

My Husaberg TE 300 was pretty much the ultimate plated dirt bike as long as you stayed on single track and tight 2 track, as soon as you hit the fire roads or went to Nevada the modern 4 strokes are a much better choice. I think probably the best do everything bike available now for the dirt oriented Dual Sport rider is the KTM 350 EXC, comes plated, 2 stroke light, almost 450 F power. To bad a guy just couldn't have a different bike waiting for him at each different section of a ride.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #1394
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
[QUOTE=Rockgarden Bob;22691399]My Husaberg TE 300 was pretty much the ultimate plated dirt bike as long as you stayed on single track and tight 2 track, as soon as you hit the fire roads or went to Nevada the modern 4 strokes are a much better choice. I think probably the best do everything bike available now for the dirt oriented Dual Sport rider is the KTM 350 EXC, comes plated, 2 stroke light, almost 450 F power. To bad a guy just couldn't have a different bike waiting for him at each different section of a ride.

As a 350exc-f owner, I agree with Bob here. Hop sing you are more than welcome to take mine out for a spin if you want to see if its your cup of tea. I am also 6'2 200 and it is just the right size. Send me a PM if your interested.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #1395
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Ive talked to the gentleman who owns that bike,it could be a good one but due to needing to sell 2 KTM's or my 530 at least to get something like that I havent thought much about it.

A 300 like that is really just a dirtbike that barely has a plate.