ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #1396
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I rode with a guy on Usal road last weekend that had a plated WR450, I believe it was a 04 and that thing ripped! Never been apart and had a lot of hours on it. Much more flickable than my DRZ.
It is about 50lbs lighter than my bike and has a bunch more HP. Doesn't have the oil capacity, and I don't think it would be as good on long trips but I've already found a few on Craigslist that have me really, really thinking hard about "trading up". There are several up in Oregon that can be had very reasonably with low hours, that or the one that is up in Redding that is plated and ready to go....
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #1397
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobus View Post
I rode with a guy on Usal road last weekend that had a plated WR450, I believe it was a 04 and that thing ripped! Never been apart and had a lot of hours on it. Much more flickable than my DRZ.
It is about 50lbs lighter than my bike and has a bunch more HP. Doesn't have the oil capacity, and I don't think it would be as good on long trips but I've already found a few on Craigslist that have me really, really thinking hard about "trading up". There are several up in Oregon that can be had very reasonably with low hours, that or the one that is up in Redding that is plated and ready to go....
I will have to double check but I am almost 100% sure that the 450 cant be ca plated. They made a wr250r that is 50 state legal and it is a very nice ride as well. There is a lot of info on the dual sport worthiness of the wr250 here in these forums as well
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #1398
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
nice looking bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgarden Bob View Post
My Husaberg TE 300 was pretty much the ultimate plated dirt bike as long as you stayed on single track and tight 2 track, as soon as you hit the fire roads or went to Nevada the modern 4 strokes are a much better choice. I think probably the best do everything bike available now for the dirt oriented Dual Sport rider is the KTM 350 EXC, comes plated, 2 stroke light, almost 450 F power. To bad a guy just couldn't have a different bike waiting for him at each different section of a ride.

Fine looking bike in this picture.
Thanks for the input about bike selection.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #1399
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

anyone riding in the morning.

Sunday morning ?
Old 11-03-2013, 05:28 AM   #1400
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,682
It could have been Jeramie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
I will have to double check but I am almost 100% sure that the 450 cant be ca plated. They made a wr250r that is 50 state legal and it is a very nice ride as well. There is a lot of info on the dual sport worthiness of the wr250 here in these forums as well
I beleive 2004 was the last year CA. allowed dual sport kits be installed and plating the bikes. It used to be just about lights, then they made in about emmissions also.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:49 AM   #1401
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
I can help get most green sticker bikes plated. Most WRs, KTMs. CRFx, some 2 strokes.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #1402
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobus View Post
Having it already plated would be the thing.

A WR450 is much closer to an MX bike then a streetable dualsport,much better in the dirt then any overly heavy japanese dualsport though.
A dirtbike that has been plated in another state may or may not get a license plate from CA DMV.

KTM's can be had plated from the factory since 07,I have a street legal 530 that I would sell mainly because I dont ride it much.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #1403
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I have a street legal 530 that I would sell mainly because I dont ride it much.
Let me know before you do. I love that 530.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #1404
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
My father lives up in Brookings so it would be easy to register something in Oregon. There are loopholes if you want something bad enough I suppose.
I have a terrible illness that makes me look for "deals" and "oh that would be cool to have" stuff. Here Are a couple of examples of my sickness that I've pondered:

http://nishnavalleycycle.com/invento...RG/FE570/52299

Husaberg FE 570 with low miles

http://humboldt.craigslist.org/mcy/4159861603.html

Plated 2011 WR450 - if it was a fuel injected 2012 - would be hard to resist!

Also, I'm sitting on about 40 cords of Olive Firewood - if anybody is interested picked up for $150/cord - best firewood you can buy. Very little ash, no creosote buildup and burns extremely hot - make sure your chimney is cleaned before burning... Send me a pm if interested - I'm in Corning.
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #1405
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,682
Laugh I'm kinda hoping he still has it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
Let me know before you do. I love that 530.
when I'm ready to make a change nex fall. I've got to get all of the stars to align correctly first.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #1406
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,544
About 8:00 this morning I saw someone on a XR650 cruising south on 99 just south of Chico,wonder if it was any one on here!I was working and it made me jealous in a good way!
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #1407
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
About 8:00 this morning I saw someone on a XR650 cruising south on 99 just south of Chico,wonder if it was any one on here!I was working and it made me jealous in a good way!
It wasn't me, my body doesn't do 8:00 am...would be nice if it would though.
but to be clear I ride a XR650L, not sure if you were talking L or R?
Old 11-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #1408
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Probably Rockgarden Bob if it was an XR650R.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #1409
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,544
It was a quick glance and I was going the other way,not sure of the details,but got me wanting to Ride,hopefully a quick trip tomarrow somewhere.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #1410
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Tell me more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Having it already plated would be the thing.

A WR450 is much closer to an MX bike then a streetable dualsport,much better in the dirt then any overly heavy japanese dualsport though.
A dirtbike that has been plated in another state may or may not get a license plate from CA DMV.

KTM's can be had plated from the factory since 07,I have a street legal 530 that I would sell mainly because I dont ride it much.
Tell me more about your 530. like what year ? picture, price. weight.
I have no idea what I should try. Towing a dual sport to go riding seems a little weird still.