ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #1411
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Rockgarden Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Chico, CA.
Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
About 8:00 this morning I saw someone on a XR650 cruising south on 99 just south of Chico,wonder if it was any one on here!I was working and it made me jealous in a good way!
It was probably me, I was on my way to meet up at the Lakeside Market. We did a 157 mile loop, found some great riding. Quite a few single track trails that I'll explore another time on another bike. But only one locked locked gate that forced us off my planned route and that worked out well since we found some great 2 track that it looks like only the locals on quads use. So the mileage was 74 miles from the Lakeside Market to La Porte. the first section was pavement to Clipper Mills about 20 miles then all dirt to La Porte. After filling up with gas and lunch at Reilly's. We start out on dirt in town and don't hit pavement again until Bald Rock Rd. I guess from there it's probably about another 20 miles Back to the Lakeside Market. Great Ride! Sorry no pictures.
__________________
http://www.ironmandualsport.com
Rockgarden Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #1412
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Rockgarden Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Chico, CA.
Oddometer: 209
Here's a screen shot of the track, not very clear but you get the idea. Blue is before lunch, Red is after.

__________________
http://www.ironmandualsport.com
Rockgarden Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #1413
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Central CA
Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
Tell me more about your 530. like what year ? picture, price. weight.
I have no idea what I should try. Towing a dual sport to go riding seems a little weird still.
I can give two thumbs up on the 530 as a DS bike, have had mine for four years now. From ST like Western States Trail/Tevis Cup/Downieville to big hills of NV's Wilson Cyn. Can chat at PC this weekend if you plan to attend. (I've got the Sherco 75% reassembled after the frame-breaking Rubicon trip. Rode it again last weekend on the Scorpa with no problems.)

Can't wait to get up there and ride with you all. I miss Chico.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #1414
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
Tell me more about your 530. like what year ? picture, price. weight.
I have no idea what I should try. Towing a dual sport to go riding seems a little weird still.
Its a 2011,ran about 9800.00 + fees new.

I would take 6400.00 for it in stock condition,only has 1640 miles on it.
They weigh about 255lbs dry. A 530 that has been jetted makes about 50 hp,they dont lack for torque and power.

The suspension is the best Ive tried,better then any of the 15 or so KTM's Ive had since 1978 by far.

I can send pics to your email if you want to check it out.

No good ones are cheap,Ive got about as much $ in my elephantine 03 DR650 after modding it and paying 3000.00 for it.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #1415
8lives
Runnin on wonder
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Shasta County,Calif
Oddometer: 1,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgarden Bob View Post
It was probably me, I was on my way to meet up at the Lakeside Market. We did a 157 mile loop, found some great riding. Quite a few single track trails that I'll explore another time on another bike. But only one locked locked gate that forced us off my planned route and that worked out well since we found some great 2 track that it looks like only the locals on quads use. So the mileage was 74 miles from the Lakeside Market to La Porte. the first section was pavement to Clipper Mills about 20 miles then all dirt to La Porte. After filling up with gas and lunch at Reilly's. We start out on dirt in town and don't hit pavement again until Bald Rock Rd. I guess from there it's probably about another 20 miles Back to the Lakeside Market. Great Ride! Sorry no pictures.
I thought of you when I looked over,I've been watching your post and hoping to be off on a weekend when I can chase you and the crew around in the bush!
__________________
http://8lives.smugmug.com/
Robin Williams was my hero,RIP!
2013 Wee Strom AKA Miley
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #1416
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Hop-Sing's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Oddometer: 391
see you then

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
I can give two thumbs up on the 530 as a DS bike, have had mine for four years now. From ST like Western States Trail/Tevis Cup/Downieville to big hills of NV's Wilson Cyn. Can chat at PC this weekend if you plan to attend. (I've got the Sherco 75% reassembled after the frame-breaking Rubicon trip. Rode it again last weekend on the Scorpa with no problems.)

Can't wait to get up there and ride with you all. I miss Chico.
I will be there. I have been real sick, but Just came from the doctor with some antibiotic's and some other good stuff. Brodie and I will camp most likely. see you there.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #1417
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer
 
LaPorte's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Northern Ca.
Oddometer: 462
Bob

Looks like you found a good route to and from LaPorte. It's hard to tell from your screen shot but I would guess some of that is what I would have shown you. Fun area to go dual sporting.

Tony
__________________
If you don't know where your going don't lead!
LaPorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #1418
DowDuer
!rn00b-aK
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Tehama Co. California, gateway to Hwy 36!
Oddometer: 213
[QUOTE=Hop-Sing;22691264]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post

Takes for the input on bike selection. I haven't ridden any of the newer dual sport bikes. what I want and what I should get are two separate things. I would like something super, Husky, Aprila, Beta, the list grows. But I think a Honda 230 might be the good as I have gotten older than my throttle hand. I am kinda big for that bike though and I have a feeling I am going to want more power/speed. I sat on a 230 and feel it is to small. I am 6 2 and 200 lbs so

when people talk about the KTM's I don't have a clue at what bike is what. what is your 300. I want something I am not going to have to fight DMV with about using on the road.

I love my BMW 650 but am thinking about a 1200 and then a smaller bike would have to be purchased
Have you looked at the KTM 350 Freeride? It might be the the kind of bike you are looking for.
DowDuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:12 AM   #1419
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Rockgarden Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Chico, CA.
Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte View Post
Bob

Looks like you found a good route to and from LaPorte. It's hard to tell from your screen shot but I would guess some of that is what I would have shown you. Fun area to go dual sporting.

Tony
Tony, yes we found some great roads that look like the only people who use them are the locals and the few hunters we passed. This is a great area that I need to explore more. The ride we did Sunday was good enough that I could make a 1 day event out of it but it uses part of my Plumas Circumnavigator track and I like to have all different stuff for each ride. Now I'm thinking about from your area to Downieville, to ............. Anyway looking forward to you showing me around the area.
__________________
http://www.ironmandualsport.com
Rockgarden Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #1420
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,629
[QUOTE=DowDuer;22709746]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post

Have you looked at the KTM 350 Freeride? It might be the the kind of bike you are looking for.
The Freeride is a cool bike,if KTM would sell it in the US it would be neat to try one. Then there's the electric version of it to consider.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #1421
DowDuer
!rn00b-aK
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Tehama Co. California, gateway to Hwy 36!
Oddometer: 213
[QUOTE=Foot dragger;22710929]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowDuer View Post
The Freeride is a cool bike,if KTM would sell it in the US it would be neat to try one. Then there's the electric version of it to consider.
Well, it has EPA and CARB approval. I didn't know they were not bringing them in yet. Could have sworn I saw 3 in the back of a pickup on I-80 going into Auburn.

I'm kind a slow rider so I thought it would be the "best" KTM.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/03/2...-epa-approval/
DowDuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #1422
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Hop-Sing's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Oddometer: 391
Freeride

[QUOTE=DowDuer;22709746]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post

Have you looked at the KTM 350 Freeride? It might be the the kind of bike you are looking for.
I have not seen this bike. I would think its like the Scorpa Long ride.
I have a montesa 4rt that if I had the fuel would be a great single to no track bike. I am not into mx bikes But seems that's what everyone is going for in a Dual sport bike.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #1423
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Central CA
Oddometer: 377
No Track Bike

[QUOTE=Hop-Sing;22713226]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowDuer View Post

I have not seen this bike. I would think its like the Scorpa Long ride.
I have a montesa 4rt that if I had the fuel would be a great single to no track bike. I am not into mx bikes But seems that's what everyone is going for in a Dual sport bike.
Interesting that they got CARB approval but didn't import, that is the biggest hurdle I can think of!

I looked into the Scorpa LR and found that it is essentially a standard model with an overpriced kit consisting of a heavy fuel tank and a seat that is too low to sit on when riding for us taller guys. And they put lesser forks on it and went with some cast parts rather than forged, like for the triples. Maybe the brakes are better, dunno, but don't need to be. Other than that, it's the same I believe. So I went with a standard Scorpa and added a 3L aux tank to the front (for the LR total of 5 liters), bark busters, and jacked preload and tire pressures up f & r for some ground clearance and bottoming resistance.

It is a blast for when the trail ends!

But alas, no plate in CA of course. :-(
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #1424
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,629
[QUOTE=DowDuer;22713071]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post

Well, it has EPA and CARB approval. I didn't know they were not bringing them in yet. Could have sworn I saw 3 in the back of a pickup on I-80 going into Auburn.

I'm kind a slow rider so I thought it would be the "best" KTM.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/03/2...-epa-approval/
I dont see it on their 2014 model list for the USA,I do see KTM has essentially the same bike with a 2 stroke engine,to me that sounds better as it would be lighter.
Dont see that one for the USA either unless Im confused again.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #1425
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte View Post
Bob

Looks like you found a good route to and from LaPorte. It's hard to tell from your screen shot but I would guess some of that is what I would have shown you. Fun area to go dual sporting.

Tony
Its a fun area to ride streetbikes through as well,the road up from Quincy and then out the back way are a blast on my 1250 Bandit.
Lots of fun corners! I tie 162 in with it for 200 miles of fun from Chico.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014