ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #1441
redog1
KLR650-2009
 
redog1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Magalia, CA./ Butte & Siskiyou C.
Oddometer: 1,749
Laugh You crack me up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Your riding the KLR at Stonyford?

Holy F how do you slow it down on the downhills?

You need to snap up my 530 for safety reasons if nothing else.
I rode the 2009 up there in completely stock trim June 2011 I did almost everything the boys did on there higher performance dirt bikes, just a little slower. I was never too far behind the group. One hill I couldn't get up, just didn't have that quick snap of power from a standing start and couldn't get the momentum needed in the short distance I had to get up the hill. Tipped over 2 times trying, finally had to conceed and reroute. The looks I got from other riders were certianly amusing, they must have thought I was nuts. The other bikes, YZ125, RM250 and a XR600R

This trip has a lot of promise to be amusing also. Riding with possibly 5 other guys, half on light 2 strokes and others on lighter 4 strokes. I'm taking the 1990 this trip gear with 14/43 and a little lighter than the 2009. Clutch isn't as good so well see what happens there. Could be very amusing. I'll be the "slow old guy" bringing up the rear.
__________________
No, I don't know where that road goes, let's find out!
redog1
redog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #1442
redog1
KLR650-2009
 
redog1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Magalia, CA./ Butte & Siskiyou C.
Oddometer: 1,749
I may just join you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgarden Bob View Post
So going to do this ride again, this coming Sunday, Nov.17th. Same time, same place.

It was probably me, I was on my way to meet up at the Lakeside Market. We did a 157 mile loop, found some great riding. Quite a few single track trails that I'll explore another time on another bike. But only one locked locked gate that forced us off my planned route and that worked out well since we found some great 2 track that it looks like only the locals on quads use. So the mileage was 74 miles from the Lakeside Market to La Porte. the first section was pavement to Clipper Mills about 20 miles then all dirt to La Porte. After filling up with gas and lunch at Reilly's. We start out on dirt in town and don't hit pavement again until Bald Rock Rd. I guess from there it's probably about another 20 miles Back to the Lakeside Market. Great Ride! Sorry no pictures.

Going to go exploring on Sunday, looking for a mostly dirt route from Oroville to New Bullards Bar Res. to La Porte. I already have a good dirt route back but may try to improve that also. Anybody interested in riding along is welcome, I will be looking for a route with a few challenges and trying to keep a pretty good pace. Meet at the Lakeside Market 5250 Olive Hwy. (162) Oroville at 8:30 am, Sunday morning, Don't forget to set your clocks back Saturday night. Weather should be great although a little cool in the morning
Depending on how I feel Sunday morning after Stonyford. Might be just what the Dr. ordered.
__________________
No, I don't know where that road goes, let's find out!
redog1
redog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #1443
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Rockgarden Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Chico, CA.
Oddometer: 210
Just watch out for oncoming traffic, Stoneyford is a dangerous place to ride.
__________________
http://www.ironmandualsport.com
Rockgarden Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #1444
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgarden Bob View Post
Just watch out for oncoming traffic, Stoneyford is a dangerous place to ride.
It IS a good place to have lifeflight ins.
I quit going there after seeing one too many near head ons at speed.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #1445
redog1
KLR650-2009
 
redog1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Magalia, CA./ Butte & Siskiyou C.
Oddometer: 1,749
Laugh Well, I am on a KLR...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
It IS a good place to have lifeflight ins.
I quit going there after seeing one too many near head ons at speed.
...so I won't be going too fast and there will be possibly 5 guys ahead of me running block.
__________________
No, I don't know where that road goes, let's find out!
redog1
redog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #1446
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain
 
KyoXR's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: CA
Oddometer: 639
I went for a 60mi ride yesterday just hitting some roads not too far west of town making a big loop, alternating from street/dirt the whole way, nothing too exciting except hitting a bee and getting stung on my neck! had to go to work today with a big red welt right below my adams apple
other highlights was my fuel screw rattled out even though it was only turned 1.5 turns out from seated, I guess having it only cracked open from seated before my jetting change compressed the spring enough to loose it's rebound?
also my chain got real loose again, this is the second ride on a new chain and sprockets and both times It's gotten pretty loose, something isn't right and I am starting to suspect its either the primary sprockets aren't up to quality or it's switching over to that XR650R countershaft sprocket that's supposed to help save the countershaft on my XR650L, there is a bit of a offset with this sprocket and others claim it's not a problem running this way? I'm not convinced.
__________________
2007 XR650L,
Looking to acquire a stock XRL choke plunger.
The multi-quote function is your friend.
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #1447
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
I rode the 2009 up there in completely stock trim June 2011 I did almost everything the boys did on there higher performance dirt bikes, just a little slower. I was never too far behind the group. One hill I couldn't get up, just didn't have that quick snap of power from a standing start and couldn't get the momentum needed in the short distance I had to get up the hill. Tipped over 2 times trying, finally had to conceed and reroute. The looks I got from other riders were certianly amusing, they must have thought I was nuts. The other bikes, YZ125, RM250 and a XR600R

This trip has a lot of promise to be amusing also. Riding with possibly 5 other guys, half on light 2 strokes and others on lighter 4 strokes. I'm taking the 1990 this trip gear with 14/43 and a little lighter than the 2009. Clutch isn't as good so well see what happens there. Could be very amusing. I'll be the "slow old guy" bringing up the rear.
You need a dirtbike.

If you really enjoy that sort of riding you would REALLY enjoy it on something that doesnt weigh over 400lbs. Ive come close to scattering myself all over the trail on my DR and do my best to keep it out if areas it doesnt belong. Ive never picked it up but I know I wouldnt enjoy it.

Once you ride a good one you wont want to go back to the big boy.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #1448
redog1
KLR650-2009
 
redog1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Magalia, CA./ Butte & Siskiyou C.
Oddometer: 1,749
Patience Footdragger

I'll be working on it. I have to see how things go. A lot of changes at work. Next fall if all goes well, but if you sell it before then, there's a lot of bikes out there.
__________________
No, I don't know where that road goes, let's find out!
redog1
redog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:44 AM   #1449
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Rockgarden Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Chico, CA.
Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgarden Bob View Post
So going to do this ride again, this coming Sunday, Nov.17th. Same time, same place.

It was probably me, I was on my way to meet up at the Lakeside Market. We did a 157 mile loop, found some great riding. Quite a few single track trails that I'll explore another time on another bike. But only one locked locked gate that forced us off my planned route and that worked out well since we found some great 2 track that it looks like only the locals on quads use. So the mileage was 74 miles from the Lakeside Market to La Porte. the first section was pavement to Clipper Mills about 20 miles then all dirt to La Porte. After filling up with gas and lunch at Reilly's. We start out on dirt in town and don't hit pavement again until Bald Rock Rd. I guess from there it's probably about another 20 miles Back to the Lakeside Market. Great Ride! Sorry no pictures.

Going to go exploring on Sunday, looking for a mostly dirt route from Oroville to New Bullards Bar Res. to La Porte. I already have a good dirt route back but may try to improve that also. Anybody interested in riding along is welcome, I will be looking for a route with a few challenges and trying to keep a pretty good pace. Meet at the Lakeside Market 5250 Olive Hwy. (162) Oroville at 8:30 am, Sunday morning, Don't forget to set your clocks back Saturday night. Weather should be great although a little cool in the morning
An Update on this ride, Tony aka "LaPorte" who lives in the LaPorte area guess that explains the name, will be showing us around. Should be a better ride than last time! See you there!
__________________
http://www.ironmandualsport.com
Rockgarden Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #1450
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgarden Bob View Post
An Update on this ride, Tony aka "LaPorte" who lives in the LaPorte area guess that explains the name, will be showing us around. Should be a better ride than last time! See you there!
Ive put some tires with actual knobs on them on the DR,if all goes to plan I'll be riding it on Sunday. Tony will be showing us dirt roads or trails?

Also am selling a 2009 200XCW,working on getting a 2014 300XCW.

May have to part out the 2011 530EXCR.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:30 AM   #1451
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,689
[QUOTE=redog1;22766849]...so I won't be going too fast and there will be possibly 5 guys ahead of me running block. [/QUOTE/ It wasnt me going fast in near headons,it was guys coming the other way on Stonyford's quad width trails at 50+. I leaned way to the right once and still clicked handlebars with an oncoming full on bug eyed punk on a 450.

I just dont go there anymore,way better trails on this side of the valley or up road 313 by Elk Creek.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:32 AM   #1452
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
I'll be working on it. I have to see how things go. A lot of changes at work. Next fall if all goes well, but if you sell it before then, there's a lot of bikes out there.
There are plenty for sale,mine wont sit here for a year for sale. It needs to go.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #1453
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer
 
LaPorte's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Northern Ca.
Oddometer: 469
[QUOTE=Foot dragger;22776431]Ive put some tires with actual knobs on them on the DR,if all goes to plan I'll be riding it on Sunday. Tony will be showing us dirt roads or trails?

To answer your question I will have to say both. Nothing to hard. Typical non maintained old fire roads, logging roads, ruts, rocks, tree roots etc. Rarely see vehicle traffic.
__________________
If you don't know where your going don't lead!
LaPorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #1454
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Central CA
Oddometer: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgarden Bob View Post
So going to do this ride again, this coming Sunday, Nov.17th. Same time, same place.
Meet at the Lakeside Market 5250 Olive Hwy. (162) Oroville at 8:30 am, Sunday morning,
I'd like to join if no objections. With the limited daylight and lower temps, I'll pass on riding my adv bike back and forth from FH though, so I'll need to unload and gear up before rollout.

What is your planned time of rollout so I can plan accordingly and not hold anyone up? (can you PM me a cell number for contact?)
thanks
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #1455
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Rockgarden Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Chico, CA.
Oddometer: 210
PM sent. For anyone else who's coming, We'll leave the Lakeside Market at 8:30 so don't be late. Thanks Bob
__________________
http://www.ironmandualsport.com
Rockgarden Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014