Old 11-29-2004, 03:23 PM   #76
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,156
Thumb Everyone loves a "Rat Bike"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson
Mr. Cob,

Nice combination of Milwaukee Iron. Bet you don't see many like your Shovelhead! Sweet.
Howdy Sfarson,

I bought that Shovel-head brand new in May of 1982. It started life as a FXWG, it has been everything from a full on custom complete with turbo-charger, to a an all around everyday rider and cross-country tourer.

It's present form as a Rat, came about when I sold off all the fancy parts and just bolted on all my junk stuff and brush painted it OD green. Back when I was still running the turbo and had it set up with a suicide clutch along with the open primary drive, a guy looked at it and said, "That is one highly dangerous machine." When I turned it into a Rat, I painted "Highly Dangerous" on the tank, most folks get a kick out of that

There are more photos of the Rat here,

http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/gallery/5939

The wife rides a 1994 Heritage Classic, one of these days I get around to getting a photo of it

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:51 AM   #77
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Day 10 of a 6500 miler back in 2001, Red Rocks Ampitheater
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 10:03 AM   #78
sfarson OP
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
GaelicDog,

Now that looks like the bike to go 6500 miles on! Perhaps this image will bring back a memory...

sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:25 PM   #79
lockbody
Lurker extraordinaire

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by He-Lob
I've been looking at Victory's (and at Harley's, and at ...) But I don't know anything about what owners are saying about 'em. Yeah, I can read the spec sheet, and I drool whenever I see that motor and the lines on that bike!

But what are folks saying? Reliability? Comfort? Victory came out with a new model with a 6 speed tranny; said some customers thought the 5 speed reved too highly on the highway. True? Is there a website anywhere where Victory folks get together?
Sorry to take so long to reply, but having a new five week old has cut down my internet time slightly.

Anyhoo, I love my TC. I was looking for a bike to carry the wife and myself across the country and while I had never heard of Victory, the drummer in my band was a mechanic at the local dealer and told me I really needed to have a look and take a test ride. I also have a R1100RS, so I didn't really want a RT, a Road King that I would like would probably cost me more than I could spend, and I'm not ready for a Wang yet, so I thought "What the hell?" After the test ride I called my credit union.

The bike's not perfect, of course. Stock seat, like many other's, sucks. Tranny, while loads better than the first couple of years of production, makes BMW's seem japanese like smooth. And Victory really needs to work on their fork valving. Sharp edge bumps are really harsh.

But...

FI is spot on. Especially with the stage I kit. Stage I kit and exhaust aren't too loud either. YMMV. Brakes are Brembos and stroonnng.

Good lighting. Not Hellas, but not bad.

We ran 70 - 90mph and never thought the revs were uncomfortably high, but a member of the VMC does make an overdrive pulley that lowers the revs a hair. I wouldn't throw the six-speed out of the bed, though.

As far as seats go, most people ar split between Corbin and Mustang. I got the Mustang, and we put, on average, 500-600 miles a day on the bike. I may have put more on if I had been by myself, but the preggo set the days. Russell has started to make a seat for the TC and I imagine thats the one I would get if I was buying today.

I would warn you about buying with resale in mind. I put out feelers after we got back, as I've got a lot of payments to go with a brand new baby, and did not get any offer near what you would've expected on a 7 month old bike. Oh well, I didn't buy it to sell either.

Why don't you go test ride one?
lockbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 05:40 AM   #80
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockbody
Sorry to take so long to reply, but having a new five week old has cut down my internet time slightly.

Why don't you go test ride one?
Thanks, Lockbody for the detailed response. I just might test drive one.

But we're also looking at a Dyna Lowrider. Hmmm.
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:56 PM   #81
lockbody
Lurker extraordinaire

Perhaps a Victory Hammer would be more your style. This is the one with the larger motor (100ci) and the six speed trans.

Old 12-02-2004, 08:14 AM   #82
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockbody
Perhaps a Victory Hammer would be more your style. This is the one with the larger motor (100ci) and the six speed trans.

Stop posting pics. I hate you now.

Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 12:14 PM   #83
txxr
Big gulps eh?

Oddometer: 897
70% of harley davidson motorcycles ever built are still on the road today.

The other 30% made it home...

http://thecameroncontemporary.com/
txxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 03:49 PM   #84
2ndSPACE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,390
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by txxr

The other 30% NEVER made it home...
fixed
2ndSPACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:20 PM   #85
4SEVEN3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by txxr

The other 30% made it home...

Ill ahve to tell that one to all the rednecks at work!

Good lookin bikes posted!!
4SEVEN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:39 PM   #86
sfarson OP
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Well, I'll defend H-D. My two air-cooled big-twin bikes... flawless, zero problems, nothing but maintenance. Same for every H-D I've rented on long distance trips. Boringly reliable. Can't say that about my GS.... which I still adore .
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:37 PM   #87
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,887
The Hammer is okay... ...but that tail section looks Corbin-cheesy.

The main issue I have with Victory, or any bike (like most metric cruisers) that comes from the factory heavily stylized, is that it looks like one size fits all.

People have decried the "hardware-store" design of HDs, but that made true customs- well, custom.

That hammer has potential- but lose the ass end.
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:00 PM   #88
sstodvictory
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPADREX
....The main issue I have with Victory, or any bike (like most metric cruisers) that comes from the factory heavily stylized, is that it looks like one size fits all.

People have decried the "hardware-store" design of HDs, but that made true customs- well, custom......
I agree unanamously. The standard cruiser design has withstood the test of time because its comfortable and adaptable. The idea that its outdated and boring is pushed mainly by moto-journalists. As far as I'm concerned most of them aren't worth reading anymore. I'm disappointed that Victory ditched their 2003 Classic.

Steve
sstodvictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:19 PM   #89
lockbody
Lurker extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPADREX
The Hammer is okay... ...but that tail section looks Corbin-cheesy.

That hammer has potential- but lose the ass end.
I'll second that. That rear-end brought the most complaints from current owners. Too bulky IMO.

I guess what matters most is what potential owners think.

Bob
Old 12-15-2005, 02:48 PM   #90
TREADMARKS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Bringing this thread back to life.

All ya need is 88 cubic inches of the new twincam and a little help from Woody's blowers.

TREADMARKS is offline   Reply With Quote