Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2004, 09:18 PM   #1
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,250
Risers... Pennytech, Touratech, Sommer, etc?

So risers are also on the list as I get things put back together. Looks like Loaded does a dandy job, seems Touratech has some which execute in a different manner, and then I hear of a jobbie made by Sommer which may be way too expensive (Emig is out of my league at this time too on this bike).

The purpose of this mod is to obviously make it more comfy while standing, but I am interested in the which of these may also dampen vibes or have other effects...

So let's hear from those of you who have experience with risers on the 640 Adv.

M
Old 11-13-2004, 09:32 PM   #2
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by PASSMORE
So risers are also on the list as I get things put back together. Looks like Loaded does a dandy job, seems Touratech has some which execute in a different manner, and then I hear of a jobbie made by Sommer which may be way too expensive (Emig is out of my league at this time too on this bike).

The purpose of this mod is to obviously make it more comfy while standing, but I am interested in the which of these may also dampen vibes or have other effects...

So let's hear from those of you who have experience with risers on the 640 Adv.

M
PM Loaded... he does a very nice job and charges very little for his efforts.
I haven't heard a story yet (not that there isn't one out there somewhere) about riser extentions increasing vibration.

C
Old 11-13-2004, 09:42 PM   #3
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Loaded and I have PM'd and he is very reasonable for sure. Nice work you say, eh? I would rather support Loaded as it may help to pay his rehab in learning to ride a bike facing forward ;)

Think I will see what else turns up on the thread and make an order Monday.

M
Old 11-13-2004, 10:29 PM   #4
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,167
I read long ago that Flanny did his own for 3 bucks, like creeper. But they have the right tools for the job and skills. So does Loaded and his looked beautiful. I would go with his too (someday...).

FYI - someone around here said that 30mm rise is A-OK for the cable lengths, but not if you have aftermarket bars that rise alot more than stock. I believe the reference was to Pastrana FMX bars... All new cables would be a bummer. Buncha threads on this stuff back there if you can find them. (I know a few if not.)

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 10:37 PM   #5
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,165
I have the TT's. Don't cost much, easy install and work great. Cut'n vibes, na. Ya need to be look'n at carb, can and air box mods to do that
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 10:49 PM   #6
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
I have the TT's. Don't cost much, easy install and work great. Cut'n vibes, na. Ya need to be look'n at carb, can and air box mods to do that
As Rad says, and in my experience, it doesn't eliminate vibration... but it does (at least with the ones I made, and as I recall Loaded's as well) seem to change the frequency and amplitude, in relation to RPM.
I feel a bit more vibration (what little I have) in the lower RPM and less in the higher RPM... in fact, between 6K and 8K there seems to be quite a bit less "felt" vibration.
I'm a poor "poster child" for the whole vibration issue anyway, as either my bike produces very little vibration or, I'm just not that sensitive to it.

C
Old 11-13-2004, 11:20 PM   #7
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Vibrations are not a huge concern for me as I really do not notice much with mine anymore.

Question now as we seem to be in agreement that Loaded's or TT would work... Seems if I was shooting for an underbar dampener, then Loaded's might be the ticket? Would the TT work better or worse in this app?

M
Old 11-14-2004, 09:32 AM   #8
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,899
I've posted all over this board with similar questions. I'm not going to make an ass out of myself a third time, so please look at KTMTiM's thread on his new underbar mount. There are more footpeg questions on the headlight guard thread (pg. 4) along with the first post of my questions on risers/dampers. Is it damper or dampener? Happy surfing, sorry I can't read
Old 11-14-2004, 10:23 AM   #9
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

For some reason I am missing the point of your angst - hope I am not the source of it!

Otherwise, I did check out the underbar mount in KTMTim's thread - Very nice looking and seems to be the ticket for him.

I am going to determine today if my bars are bent - if so, I will probably go with the Pastrana boars and a top clamp mount for the damper (this is the spelling I see on Scotts - I have been misspelling).

More later.

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiti
I've posted all over this board with similar questions. I'm not going to make an ass out of myself a third time, so please look at KTMTiM's thread on his new underbar mount. There are more footpeg questions on the headlight guard thread (pg. 4) along with the first post of my questions on risers/dampers. Is it damper or dampener? Happy surfing, sorry I can't read
Old 11-14-2004, 11:47 AM   #10
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,167
Quote:
For some reason I am missing the point of your angst - hope I am not the source of it!

Otherwise, I did check out the underbar mount in KTMTim's thread - Very nice looking and seems to be the ticket for him.

I am going to determine today if my bars are bent - if so, I will probably go with the Pastrana boars and a top clamp mount for the damper (this is the spelling I see on Scotts - I have been misspelling).

More later.

Michael

Remember that some found the 30mm risers coupled with the Pastrana FMX bars to be too much for the stock cables... be prepared to buy longer cables if that is your destiny.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 01:38 PM   #11
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

I only see one or the other being needed for my miniature ape arms... Looks like it will be risers as my bars look to be in fine shape after the spill.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:02 PM   #12
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,899
No angst. A bit of frustration with self for posting twice in less appropriate threads If you want more, start here (pg. 4), then go here and finally, back to my initial post on this thread. That was my path this morning, and I suppose I am so verbose and take too long to compose my posts that I miss out on more appropriate threads (or something like that.) I really enjoy the input from Passmore, Tim, Mack, Creep, and just about everyone with 'real' Adventures. We are all learning. This is a great source of information. Some of the single and/or retired guys are hard to keep up with in mods & improvements, but we all have priorities.
I hope it didn't come across as my bashing Tim's Sommer setup, it just looks like an 8mm or 10mm plate, with some tube type risers. Trying to get clarification.

I will definitely do some riding with the Pastranas before going for risers. Less sweep feels good, and lower pegs is probably where I should go next, if anywhere.

Thanks, everyone for such good communication

Quote:

More later.

Michael
Old 11-14-2004, 02:11 PM   #13
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiti
No angst. A bit of frustration with self for posting twice in less appropriate threads If you want more, start here (pg. 4), then go here and finally, back to my initial post on this thread. That was my path this morning, and I suppose I am so verbose and take too long to compose my posts that I miss out on more appropriate threads (or something like that.) I really enjoy the input from Passmore, Tim, Mack, Creep, and just about everyone with 'real' Adventures. We are all learning. This is a great source of information. Some of the single and/or retired guys are hard to keep up with in mods & improvements, but we all have priorities.
I hope it didn't come across as my bashing Tim's Sommer setup, it just looks like an 8mm or 10mm plate, with some tube type risers. Trying to get clarification.

I will definitely do some riding with the Pastranas before going for risers. Less sweep feels good, and lower pegs is probably where I should go next, if anywhere.

Thanks, everyone for such good communication
Cool Rapti! It is sometimes difficult to get what you want in here because of different threads and how they oftern go in directions not exactly coinciding with the title of the thread...

I am a mere nooB myslef and these fellas are a great source of knowledge and experience for me as well. Right now it is neat to get different views on a single mod and then go for what I think will suit me best!

Carry on!

M
Old 11-14-2004, 09:50 PM   #14
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
For those who have not browsed the Scotts pages, here is the link, info on the dampers, and pics of LC4's with both a weld on and a bolt on tower mount.

http://www.scottsonline.com/indexmain.html
Old 11-15-2004, 09:29 AM   #15
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,316
I haven't seen anyone mention the GPR stabilizer for the KTM. My riding buddy had one installed on his SXC and not only did it raise the bars to a comfortable level, it works and looks awesome. Check it out HERE
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote