User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
gsstampeder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Ontario trail passes

Can anyone give any info on whether this trail pass is worth the $140.00 they ask? I was on some 'roads' last summer between Ompah and Calabogie and noticed a sign that stated a pass was required to use the road. I thought it seemed a bit strange, but today in the Bike shop here in Kingston I noticed they sold trail passes.
Does everyone buy these? And are the trails they refer to designed for dual sport riding or are they more technical single track stuff?
I'd like to ride some dirt and trails in and around Kinston, and don't want any big fine for riding without a pass, but I don't want to spend the money and find out the trails are not dualsport trails.
Coming from Alberta, you just rode any trail, dirt rode, path, whatever your bike could handle, and there were never any passes required. So I'm not sure exactly what trails they refer to.
Thanks....
gsstampeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,739
The nasty thing about that pass is most of the trails were opened by bikers, but bikes are not permitted on them, quads and sleds only.

Yeah, I don't like them folks much.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
gsstampeder OP
Beastly Adventurer

So does that mean you don't buy the pass and ride them anyways? Or you just don't (or are not allowed) to ride them. The road I was on was a back route, very rocky and rugged form Calabogie to Ompah. Barrets Chutes seem to come to mind....I did see and speak with another rider (he was on a dirt bike-400 Suzuki_) and he rides that road often.....but there was that sign saying a permit was needed.
So, WTF?
Old 04-13-2010, 04:02 AM   #4
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 10,150
I may be wrong but it sounds like you were on the k and p trail? Signs were for winter use (snowmobile's). NO you don't need a permit for that trail nor is there any trail in that area that does require a permit (as far as a I know and I ride that area fairly frequently). There are a few clubs that sell memberships and they do some trail maintenance up in that area. NEED to? I'd say NO. What was the permit called and how much was it? Throwing a few bucks into an organization that spends time and effort into keeping those trails open for bikes probably isn't a bad thing though........just saying ;)

GRAVEL TRAVEL CANADA - Canada's source for overland routes

Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:08 AM   #5
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,739
EOTR trails are the ones I think he's talking about, not just the K&P. Heritage trail is signed that way out of Trenton all the way to the park. All of the offshoot trails marked the same.

I just ignore them. Be damned if I'm supporting a quad organization that actively tries to ban bikes from trails we opened, and with my own money, too?? Catch me. I had one try, on the Heritage when I saw him. Never did see him again...
Old 04-13-2010, 04:11 AM   #6
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,105
North Frontenac requires you to have a back roads pass whether you are on a bike car or truck. Last years pass was about $40 for the season, you can get a weekend or day pass for $10 or so. This is mostly for Hydro line road and Arcol road. So they can eventually pave it...sad sad day when that comes.....

http://www.northfrontenacparklands.c...d=53&Itemid=65

shipwrek12001 screwed with this post 04-13-2010 at 04:39 AM
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:33 AM   #7
gsstampeder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Arcol Road - that was the one that had the sign. And then from that road you take off on the Hydro line to Calabogie. Thanks....
Sorry for being so ignorant here, but is this North Frontenac pass is required for all the trails up and around Calabogie? And who do you contact?

That Arcol road is pretty sweet. Lots of great places to pull off and relax by the water. I hope the paving does not start in my lifetime.

Sorry shipwreck, I didn't see the link, thanks again
Old 04-13-2010, 04:46 AM   #8
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,546
Crown land?

What I don't understand is how they can charge you to ride on Crown Land?!
juames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:48 AM   #9
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsstampeder
Arcol Road - that was the one that had the sign. And then from that road you take off on the Hydro line to Calabogie. Thanks....
Sorry for being so ignorant here, but is this North Frontenac pass is required for all the trails up and around Calabogie? And who do you contact?

That Arcol road is pretty sweet. Lots of great places to pull off and relax by the water. I hope the paving does not start in my lifetime.

Sorry shipwreck, I didn't see the link, thanks again

I believe the North Frontenac County only goes about half way to Calibogie from Ompah. You can talk you way out of any bylaw ticket if you be nice and polite. The guy who controls it doesn't want any hassels, retirement would be soon for him. The sign stating you need a pass doesn't appear untill your well into the bush. Probably on the county line.

the link didn't work so I fixed it...LOL
Old 04-13-2010, 06:07 AM   #10
fasteddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by juames
What I don't understand is how they can charge you to ride on Crown Land?!

They can't! Crown land is open to all!

Ed..
2003 KTM 250/350 RFS EXC
2006 KTM 640 Adventure

2008 HUSABERG 550 FE
2008 Paris to Dacre, TEAM ORANGE KRUSH

5 KTM's and 1 Honda Circumnavigate Ontario's Algonquin Park

4 KTM's and 1 Honda Go North, to Abitibi Canyon & Beyond

3 KTM's, A Honda, A Husaberg, and a Jam Tart

4 Ktm's and a Honda go "NORD"
fasteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:52 AM   #11
Cellar Rat
Not Done, Yet!

Oddometer: 27
Crown land is open to all, but municipalities were given the authority to charge a fee to maintain the roads that access those lands. It is unfortunate that this program varies from area to area -- it would be much better if there was a single provincial program. I think it is only North Frontenac that charges the fee in our riding area. Hopefully some day an organization like the OFTR will bring some logic to all this.
Cellar Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #12
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
If you get the trail pass in Calabogie it is good for a much larger area than if you get it around K-town.
The cops do police the K-P trail.. have been known to block the trail and look for the pass. I dunno about talking your way out of a fine....

Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:37 AM   #13
tarzan30
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
I didnt know you needed a pass for the K&P. I wonder if that is for Minivans as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forseti
If you get the trail pass in Calabogie it is good for a much larger area than if you get it around K-town.
The cops do police the K-P trail.. have been known to block the trail and look for the pass. I dunno about talking your way out of a fine....
Old 04-14-2010, 06:46 AM   #14
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 10,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forseti
Seen it in the winter for snowmobiles but never in the summer. It's crown land and a public road, I'm fairly certain you dont need one, in any case its not marked or i've never seen it so playing dumb if you had to would be my answer. Now....if it was being maintained, etc by a local club then I would think otherwise.

GRAVEL TRAVEL CANADA - Canada's source for overland routes

Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:04 AM   #15
BuckshotBill
n00b

Oddometer: 1
North Frontenac roads needing permits

Here's the extent of the roads the North Frontenac township manages, 2015 edition.
-Bill

http://www.northfrontenacparklands.c...rmit%20Map.pdf
BuckshotBill is offline   Reply With Quote