User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2015, 08:13 PM   #1
Danger Dave OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Ontario bound...

So...its finally game on..full planning phase. Earlier I posted about a potential ride into Manitoba, but have now finalized that my Dad and I will ride Ontario. We are planning to cross into Canada at Sault Ste. Marie. We have about 14 days of riding time allotted for Ontario.
So, to my northern neighbors....we want to experience the most remote logging roads we can find, combined with remote camping and fishing. (Yes we want our cake and want to eat it too!)
We are also open to the thoughts of finding a place that will rent canoes and drop us off for a few day river trip.
Tell me your favorite places you would recommend to some of your southern neighbors.!! We are not afraid, nor inexperienced in leaving civilization for several days on motorcycles. We welcome adventures and severe remoteness.
I look forward to your advice!!!!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:19 PM   #2
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,923
Sounds like fun... Just remember, no guns!
There are great canoeing and Kyaking adventures in North Western Ontario.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:25 PM   #3
Danger Dave OP
Adventurer

I was with the understanding that survival firearms such as shotguns or rifles are ok, but definitely no pistols....is that only for Manitoba?
Old 03-26-2015, 08:38 PM   #4
BackRoader
Heading There Next

You will have to look into that further, possibly others will comment.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2015, 03:31 AM   #5
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dave View Post
I was with the understanding that survival firearms such as shotguns or rifles are ok, but definitely no pistols....is that only for Manitoba?
You really won't need them - just a waste of space. I, and many others have camped and canoed in remote parts of Ontario without even thinking about arms. Keep a clean site, hang your food pack, don't cook bacon, clean fish well away from your camp, wash well, don't sleep with food in your tent and you'll be fine.

The number of bear/human issues in Ontario is miniscule. You're far more likely to shoot each other.

Nick

nick949eldo screwed with this post 03-27-2015 at 03:39 AM
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:50 AM   #6
Danger Dave OP
Adventurer

I'm not worried about bringing a Shotgun, I know we will be fine without a boom stick.

I have looked on Amazon, there are a number of maps for Ontario, is there any one in particular, that has accurate data of logging roads and trails, preferably with a usable coordinate system?
Old 03-27-2015, 04:32 AM   #7
Pay Dirt
panning the web

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
I'm not worried about bringing a Shotgun, I know we will be fine without a boom stick.

I have looked on Amazon, there are a number of maps for Ontario, is there any one in particular, that has accurate data of logging roads and trails, preferably with a usable coordinate system?
Check out ride reports for the Abitibi Canyon loop, a bunch of us are running it in late July for the first time. Should satisfy your soul!
Don't miss the loop running north from the Soo up to Wawa and then head east for the Abitibi. Check out fly-in fishing outfitters for any number of fly and paddle opportunities..
Good luck!
PD
Pay Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:35 AM   #8
Danger Dave OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay Dirt View Post
Check out ride reports for the Abitibi Canyon loop, a bunch of us are running it in late July for the first time. Should satisfy your soul!
Don't miss the loop running north from the Soo up to Wawa and then head east for the Abitibi. Check out fly-in fishing outfitters for any number of fly and paddle opportunities..
Good luck!
PD
So, thanks for that....now I won't be able to get any sleep because I will be up all night anticipating riding that loop! That route looks awesome. How late in July are you running that? We will be riding the first three weeks of July.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:06 AM   #9
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
Not ridiculously remote by Ont standards, but Chapleau Crown Game Preserve is an interesting day or two. From the Sault, you could go north on the transCanada for a few km, then head across 556 (aka Ranger Lake Rd) to 129, thence to Chapleau. Or, you can get to Ranger Lake Rd by going east from the Sault to Echo Bay, then 638 to Poplar Dale Rd, then Carpenter Lake Rd etc to Ranger Lake Rd. But the possibilities are endless. Maybe also ask in the Northern Riders thread in the Canada forum.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:42 AM   #10
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
I usually pipe up with this and get a lot of grief for it. Be aware that Ontario has a $10,000 fine for doing 30 MPH over the posted speed limit. Not only that but they seize your bike and licence for a week. The vehicle is seized on the side of the road before a court date etc. The police man is your judge and jury. In addition to speeding the are about 8 other violations with this type of fine. Look into street racing in Ontario. In case your wondering I am not a fan of this law.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_070455_e.htm
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:16 PM   #11
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Is the Non Canadian Resident camping law still in effect?
I recall, years ago, non residents were not permitted to camp on crown land.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:47 PM   #12
revitup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
So...its finally game on..full planning phase. Earlier I posted about a potential ride into Manitoba, but have now finalized that my Dad and I will ride Ontario. We are planning to cross into Canada at Sault Ste. Marie. We have about 14 days of riding time allotted for Ontario.
So, to my northern neighbors....we want to experience the most remote logging roads we can find, combined with remote camping and fishing. (Yes we want our cake and want to eat it too!)
We are also open to the thoughts of finding a place that will rent canoes and drop us off for a few day river trip.
Tell me your favorite places you would recommend to some of your southern neighbors.!! We are not afraid, nor inexperienced in leaving civilization for several days on motorcycles. We welcome adventures and severe remoteness.
I look forward to your advice!!!!

Here is the man PS-RagE for Northern Ontario adventures, bar none. He put this trip together, took all the pics and posted the write up. Check it out and contact him.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=991903&page=3

When do you plan to be in Northern Ontario? What bikes will be riding and with what tires?
Old 03-27-2015, 01:00 PM   #13
Danger Dave OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by revitup View Post
Here is the man PS-RagE for Northern Ontario adventures, bar none. He put this trip together, took all the pics and posted the write up. Check it out and contact him.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=991903&page=3

When do you plan to be in Northern Ontario? What bikes will be riding and with what tires?
Thanks for the link, I will check it out in detail. I will be on a 13 BMW F800GS with Heidenau K60 Scouts front and rear, and my Dad will be on a 14 BMW F800GSA. I don't know what tires he will have by then, he currently has TKC 80s. We will be crossing into Canada likely on 6 July, and heading north from then on.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:49 AM   #14
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
It can be powerful cold on the east side of Lake Superior. The water is just slightly above freezing and if the wind comes off the water it can bet pretty chilly at night.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:40 PM   #15
Critt
Apprentice Advrider

Oddometer: 208
Boys, just remember, Moose are the most dangerous animal in Ontario (according to Les Stroud).

Try not to sounds like a horny Cow, and you won't piss off Bullwinkle.

'03 BMW F650GS Dakar - sold - https://i.imgur.com/l8vpFTw.jpg
Critt is offline   Reply With Quote