Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2014, 05:12 AM   #1
GoingMobile OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Introduction

Good morning to all

I'm a long time rider, new to Adventure Rider.
I currently ride an 01 Ducati 996 SPS, #1590. Before that, a 748, before that a 95 Triumph Speed Triple. Before that a 91 Harley Davidson Softail Custom.
In spite of having always ridden road and sport bikes, I've long considered myself an adventure rider. I rode across Canada on my Harley when I was 24. I've traveled all over the North East States, Maine, Boston, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York. I've ridden the Blue Ridge mountain parkway, deep into the South.
Early this summer I borrowed a co-workers KLR 650 and traveled from Ottawa to the Bay of Fundy in a day. I Spent a week in NB cruising the back roads, trails, logging roads. Last Sunday I did an 800 km day on my 996, through the Adirondacks and home.
Last summer I flew to Vancouver, bused to Vancouver Island, spending a week at my best friends house while he was away climbing in the Yukon.
I spent the week on Vancouver Island exploring with his KTM 990 Adventure. The highlight of my trip was without a doubt riding the KTM deep into the mountains on the logging roads.
From that point on it was just a matter of time till I bought one of these bikes.
On Tuesday this week I bought a 2011 Adventure 990 R, with 3500kms and pristine condition.
I test rode a Multistrada S, an 1190 Adventure. Both of them were far too street oriented, and full of technological widgets which I'm not quite ready for yet.
Having already spent a week on a 990, I knew exactly what I wanted.

I'm hoping to meet some people, with a similar love for suffering, learn more about the strengths and weaknesses of the 990 R, what I should watch out for mechanically, and maybe throw some dirt at one another.
Aside from being able to take my sons for rides once again, one of my projects is to use the bike to travel and climb across Canada. The only other thing I'm more passionate about than riding is climbing rock, frozen waterfalls, and alpine climbing.

Take care

Steve
GoingMobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:28 AM   #2
xhungus
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 71
Seems like a few new Ottawa-area riders have popped up recently, myself included. I have only been riding for 3 years and just recently picked up my first dual sport, a 2010 WR250R.

I'm looking forward to the Calabogie event on Sept 6/7 to get a chance to meet some local riders and explore some of the great trails I keep hearing so much about!
xhungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:15 AM   #3
Bones Over Metal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Hey Welcome to the forum.
There is a load of wisdom and knowledge and very helpful people in the Orange Crush thread.
And the bible is HOW http://www.ktm950.info/

Welcome.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:59 AM   #4
GoingMobile OP
n00b

First rides

I rode my 990 home from the dealer in Cambridge last Friday.
The ride was mostly uneventful, aside from the stifling heat and traffic in Toronto.
The bike did overheat at one point in traffic. I was concerned of course but kept riding just to keep a stready stream of air blowing into the rad.
I'm always so happy to put Toronto in my rear view mirror.

I rode the 35/115 through to Peterborough where I took Hwy 7 home to Carp. The stock seat has to go! It was painful.

Saturday I worked so wasn't able to ride.

My experience with the dealer was mostly positive but I was pissed when Sunday morning I checked the oil level and found it at the lower line of the stick. Am I wrong to expect the dealer to ensure the motor oil is dead on the level before a bike leaves their shop???

Sunday I rode. And what a ride it was.
I ripped up the old rail bed that runs along Hwy 7 to Sharbot Lake.
Pure fun!
I had both tires off the ground a few times over some of the whoops and on the way back I thought it would be fun to pass a car while riding the trail and the car was on Hwy 7. I looked down quickly at one point and saw 128 KM/H. I promised my wife that I would be safer on this bike than my SPS. Apparently not! :)

Yesterday, Monday I decided to change the oil and get a feel for some of the mechanical bits on the bike.
Well, for a bike that is supposed to have the capability of being field maintained it's sure a nightmare to do something as common as changing the oil.
Not impressed!
I ran out of light and only managed to get the oil drained. I buttoned it back up partially to keep track of pieces, and still managed to end up with a spare fastener.

I was hoping to ride tomorrow but it looks like I'll be tackling the oil change again.

I love the bikes power, but not fond of its touchy throttle response at low speed. I guess I'd describe it as jerky.

Any advice on oil changes??

Steve
Old 09-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #5
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
Welcome and congrats on your 990R purchase. Having had one (after a 950ADV, 690 Enduro, 640ADV, etc), I can suggest a few things that will help you with the 990R (though you should spend time on the 950HOW and the Orange Crush section of ADVrider.com).

Heating - this will happen and some people don't seem to worry about it. I worried and looked at a few approaches given what I investigated and my personal experience from the 950ADV before it. Popular choices seem to be a lower temperature fan switch (can be bought from the US at various sources or if you are crafty and smart; it is the same fitment as a Suzuki 400 ATV and it activates the fan at 15 degrees or so lower - this makes your fan run more often and for longer periods of time. The solution that I used on both ADVs was a secondary fan kit (various US sources for these) which includes a 5" SPAL (manufacturer's name) fan, a custom mounting bracket and a plug 'n play harness that makes it easy to install. When it runs, it cools both sides of the rad and my bike never once ran hot no matter what I was doing (slow and hard trail riding or Toronto deadly hot traffic).

Throttle response at low revs - a typical KTM plague but can be fixed mostly easily: first thing - go to your local dealer and buy what KTM calls "progressive throttle kit" - it will include two new grips PLUS a throttle tube that has a progressive profile to it rather than a linear throttle profile. In other words, the throttle input (twist) is muted at the lower revs and is identical up top at higher inputs (big twists). Secondly, when the bike is stone cold, start it and let it idle for fifteen minutes (not a second less and no more than 16 minutes - yes, be precise). During that idling time, do not turn the bike off, do not touch the throttle or anything else for matter. Let it do its thing and it will perform the famous "15 minute idle reset". Next (and only if you're still unhappy) - confirm which map is loaded onto your bike. You don't mention whether or not it has stock or aftermarket performance pieces like an exhaust / air intake or if any of the emissions related components have been deleted (such as the charcoal canister and/or SAS bypassed). Once you let me know that and if you can determine which map is loaded on the bike, I can recommend specific steps to further improve drivability, power and economy for touring. Feel free to PM me if you need further info or if you have any questions - I spent a ton of time getting my bike to be absolutely bullet quick and reliable and it doesn't take much at all - mostly just an understanding of what does when and why...

Yes - I have an 1190 adventure now and despite it looking more "road oriented", it absolutely kicks ass in any scenario I've thrown at it (and it's fast as hell).

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #6
GoingMobile OP
n00b

Puke

Thanks for the advice

With fall approaching I'm not going to worry about the temperature issue, but maybe as a winter project.

I've heard mention of the 15 minute idle reset, but didn't realize it was that simple. I assumed it meant hooking it up and remapping so I didn't give it much thought. That and I really haven't had much saddle time yet.

I'll definitely look into the progressive throttle kit.

I had a shot to pull the trigger on an 1190R, and I may yet regret not going that direction.
The dealer was ready to give me $10,000 for my 996 SPS toward a new 1190R. I really didn't want to let it go, and didn't want to let it go that cheap. I've promised my wife I would try to sell it, but I'm really not going to try that hard and won't have my feelings hurt if it takes up permanent residence in my garage. It will be my "Red Barchetta".
The 1190R is an awesome machine for sure but the thought of giving up my Duc and another $10,000 was a little too much for me at this point.

The 990 was half that, with 3600kms on it, stock exhaust and bags.

Maybe in a few years

Any other pointers on changing the oil?
Old 09-09-2014, 02:41 PM   #7
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingMobile View Post

Any other pointers on changing the oil?
Best advice is to get one of these guys who knows the bike to show you how the first time. There's no quick way, but they'll be able to show you how the tupperware goes together.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:45 AM   #8
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,608
I'm near Ottawa and have a small shop...bring some cold beers and I'll walk you through an oil change. Had a 950 for a few years and know the bike fairly well.

Shoot me a message if your interested

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #9
Corbeau
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Red, let me know if your offer stands for a 640 Adv (I believe you once owned one)...
I need a walk-through for my first time. (Mind you, the step by step instructions in Thumpers is most excellent...)
Corbeau is online now   Reply With Quote