User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2014, 08:32 AM   #1
rokdktr OP
Adventure North

Oddometer: 216
Gears Crazy!?

I loved my previous Klim Badlands. This time around I want to run a Leatt as well.

Priced out the Klim ADV Rally, Leatt 5.5 and Klim Pants, and a replacement set of Sidi boots. (all I have right now is street racing boots)

HOLY SWEET BABY JEBUS!!!

Over $3300 in friggin GEAR! I'm think I'm gonna be sick.

My rational will be:

1) I love Klims gear.
2) Safety first. I think if there is a place not to skimp, it's on safety gear. (good boots, Leatt, helmet, strong jacket and pants)
3) All weather GoreTex is pricey all the time, even at MEC.
4) You can't take it with you.

Still makes me think I'm losing it though.

rokdktr screwed with this post 10-25-2014 at 10:55 AM
rokdktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #2
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,134
No way.
Too expensive.
yamalama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
RForestR
In the Woods

Oddometer: 164
Yep, you're certifiable.

you can do much better on price either used or *gasp* if you buy in the US (I know, I know....)

I would agree on the best helmet you can afford, but the difference between the BRP and the ADV is not big enough to make me purchase, unless I was going RTW and could justify with wearing all day every day.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,712
I've really wanted to spring for a Klim Badlands jacket as well. Recently, dramatic price reductions have meant one can be had for $699us. That comes out to around $800cdn. Local stocking dealer here in metro Vancouver, pacific, has reduced their prices down to $850 plus tax. I'm sure I can grind them down to 800$

I agree that good stuff is worth it, I never buy shite like Joe rocket, etc. I'm a Sidi, arai, Shoei, Klim etc rider. There's nothing wrong with getting good stuff, just shop around for old stock, it's around and at good prices, never accept retail msrp.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #5
rokdktr OP
Adventure North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
I've really wanted to spring for a Klim Badlands jacket as well. Recently, dramatic price reductions have meant one can be had for $699us. That comes out to around $800cdn. Local stocking dealer here in metro Vancouver, pacific, has reduced their prices down to $850 plus tax. I'm sure I can grind them down to 800$

I agree that good stuff is worth it, I never buy shite like Joe rocket, etc. I'm a Sidi, arai, Shoei, Klim etc rider. There's nothing wrong with getting good stuff, just shop around for old stock, it's around and at good prices, never accept retail msrp.

For sure. I should be able to swing some discounts with a bike purchase too. It just never ceases to amaze me.

Helmets are good. I'm not going to go the ADV style this time, I have an 1 year old Shuberth C3pro and a Carbon Kevlar Troy Lee MX and many pairs of goggles for dirty trails rides. I'm covered.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:48 AM   #6
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,358
My local dealer still want $1150 for that jacket. When I mentioned I can get it in Canada for less ( to see they would deal) the guy got pissy and walked away.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:48 AM   #7
rokdktr OP
Adventure North

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1313 View Post
My local dealer still want $1150 for that jacket. When I mentioned I can get it in Canada for less ( to see they would deal) the guy got pissy and walked away.
I'm hoping I can do the Jacket, pants, Leatt and Boots for maybe $2500 plus tax if I push a little. I should deb abel to get 10% right away with the bike purchase, hoping for a little more.

Price difference between the Badlands and the Adventure is a bit, but I want the ability to wear the Leatt inside the jacket. Otherwise I'd go Badlands again. Boots and Leatt are going to be what they are.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:10 AM   #8
rob1313
Still learning

With a bike purchase I'd say you should be asking for 20% on anything you buy that day. Can't hurt to ask. That's a lot of cash to drop
Old 10-26-2014, 12:21 PM   #9
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
With a bike purchase I'd say you should be asking for 20% on anything you buy that day. Can't hurt to ask. That's a lot of cash to drop
Heck, on a bike purchase, I'm goin' for free shit!!
Old 10-26-2014, 05:20 PM   #10
edwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
i get the pissy thang...i guess asking for best price is one thing. but breaking their balls about 'what someone else will sell for' is a little edgy.
also, why dont we ask for best price on Everything?? you know those Carhart pants you want....what about asking Mark's for their best price? Or your morning coffee? see what i mean? it sorta is a pissy thang.
all the best
ps: just think how those in retail feel...i wouldnt wanna be them, and neither you
Old 10-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #11
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin View Post
i get the pissy thang...i guess asking for best price is one thing. but breaking their balls about 'what someone else will sell for' is a little edgy.
also, why dont we ask for best price on Everything?? you know those Carhart pants you want....what about asking Mark's for their best price? Or your morning coffee? see what i mean? it sorta is a pissy thang.
all the best
ps: just think how those in retail feel...i wouldnt wanna be them, and neither you

I do ask Mark's for a deal on Carhartt, noting to them the fact I can buy the same stuff for 1/2 the price 20 mile drive away. Hey, I get asked for the best price at least 4 times a day at my glass shop.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #12
rob1313
Still learning

I'm not rich, I pick the things I want, and I shop hard for the best deal I can get. I prefer to support my local dealer, that's why I was in the shop in the first place, but I'm not getting screwed over by them.

If they were willing to come within say $50 of what I can buy it for, in Canada, they'd see my dollars. I'm not asking them to match a price I found stateside. They bought it from the same place the other supplier got it.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:45 PM   #13
rokdktr OP
Adventure North

Quote:
I'm not rich, I pick the things I want, and I shop hard for the best deal I can get. I prefer to support my local dealer, that's why I was in the shop in the first place, but I'm not getting screwed over by them.

If they were willing to come within say $50 of what I can buy it for, in Canada, they'd see my dollars. I'm not asking them to match a price I found stateside. They bought it from the same place the other supplier got it.
Agreed and not just for bike gear. To be clear, I will buy this gear in canada, most likely where I buy my bike if they can get it. But I'll do my best to get what I can for a deal. I didn't mean to sound whiny, I was just simply amazed at the total $$$.

I mostly just find it crazy the prices, even in the USA. On everything. My bike the way I want it will be creeping on $26k, then $3k for gear, $4k if I need a new helmet. That's just a crazy ratio.

I've spent dumb amounts of money on ore hobbies too, my most recent rifle/scope package closed on $9k.

Toys in this life just ain't cheap.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #14
jackiejack
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Back from SSMarie

A pic from 17/11 late summer. Longest trip from my first season with my KLR 'thumper'. Hope to get out with some of ya locals in the spring.
Attached Images

jackiejack is offline   Reply With Quote