Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #1876
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,541
Indeed True North East, its a side project I have been working on. A GPS route from the New Brunswick/Maine border that terminates at the end of the Trans Taiga. The intent is to have the route desciption, photos,etc and gps files ready for when the new web site goes live this fall.

In a nutshell the route will cross the province of New Brunswick, do a loop around the Gaspe Pennisula, ferry across the St Lawrence river, utilize Fabs section of the TCAT, travel the Rue Du Nord, briefly jump on the James Bay Highway before hanging a right and ending at the terminus of the Trans Taiga. Probably a two week trip (return) for most folks. 80% gravel roads, 20% pavement. For folks living in the east I think it would make a real nice route and offers a nice alternative to some of the more populare trips most folks take (Trans Lab, etc). The roads it uses are very remote, in fact I will say some of them are the most remote roads in North America

The TNE should be big bike friendly and like all routes the gps files will be downloadable at no charge. A couple of pages on the new site are dedicated to the write up/route description I have been working on.

So Shipwreck, I hope you dont mind but I'll be snapping a bunch of pictures while we are travelling the route for the site and stopping to take notes the odd time. It should offer you up some smoke breaks

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #1877
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Hey Shipwreck, here's some pics from the last trip I did to the Gaspe a few years back. SHould give you an idea of some of the stellar scenery there

The mountains there are called the Chic Choc Range and break treeline on the main ridge. The route I have put together is a mix of old logging roads, some coastal paved roads (Perce Rock, etc) and travel through the park on a mix of gravel and paved roads. As for New Brunswick I really have no idea what to expect, the route was put together based on some suggestions from some locals and me trying to find the most obscure lines on a some maps I guarantee we get lost at least once

Old 09-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #1878
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
I really have no idea what to expect, the route was put together based on some suggestions from some locals and me trying to find the most obscure lines on a some maps I guarantee we get lost at least once

Sounds epic...........
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #1879
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
I havent ridden the entire route so I can only speak to the sections I have made/ridden but I have a good idea about the other sections so I will take a guess...

Yes I think a strom could do this route. There may be a couple of spots that are a bit challenging but those spots could be avoided. Be avoided I mean if you arent comfortable you could turn around and find a way to get back on the route. The optional technial sections would definetly be a no go but the main route for the most part is just gravel roads and easy trails. Given a strom's low clearance a good bash plate would be highly recommended and a set of decent knobby tires and a willingness to get it scratched up from the occansional tip over

Given the length of this route it is a given that at some point you will encounter rain. I believe that rain will be the biggest challenge on the TCAT. Some areas are fine when it rains and the road/trail surfaces actually offer better grip. Some areas turn to a slick. In some provinces it would not be uncommon for it to rain for a week straight. Water levels will rise dramatically and road/trail surafces can become VERY challenging. Not only does this slow down the pace of travel dramatically but it also gives moral a beating. This is where the men will be seperated from the boys (or some such cheesy saying). Who will keep plodding along the route dealing with the slick roads, wet gear, camping in wet conditions, etc Once again I believe this will be one of the big challenges of the TCAT.

Main route during normal conditions, water is just over the axle

Same location after a week of rain

Rode this traile arlier in the year and this was a small puddle, not so much after a week of rain

I hate showing photos like that as I dont want to scare folks away. The bulk of the route is just gravel roads. The trails are generally just double track trails. All that being said it is worth showing photos like the ones above so folks understand what they would be getting themselves into.

When we rode the Labrador section we encountered back to back days of rain. It was cold and challenging. The rain caused little rivers that carved trenches in the road. The puddles got deep due to the amount of traffic on it. Given the distances that needed to be cover we kept a good pace but it introduced a lot of risk. Many times I'd hit a puddle and the water would blow both feet off the pegs, unnerving at speeds well into triple digits. On any other day it would have been a scenic ride down a dusty road.

In the end bike choice makes a difference but the big difference is experience and determination, or so I think
Got to ask you boys,has anyone found a way to keep your feet dry riding these types of crossing?I know they make gore tex socks but I'm sure they would fill up with water when the water goes over the tops of your boots. would you just allow your feet to get wet while doing the crossings,then put on the dry gore tex socks inside the wet boots? One day is not a problem,but multiple days-I'm going to need a good plan.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #1880
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
Got to ask you boys,has anyone found a way to keep your feet dry riding these types of crossing?I know they make gore tex socks but I'm sure they would fill up with water when the water goes over the tops of your boots. would you just allow your feet to get wet while doing the crossings,then put on the dry gore tex socks inside the wet boots? One day is not a problem,but multiple days-I'm going to need a good plan.
Even if your boots are wet, you can keep your feet and socks dry by carrying some kitchen-catcher type plastic bags to put on your feet before you put on the boots. When I rode to James Bay a few years ago it rained hard most of the way there, and those bags really saved me from freezing toes.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #1881
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,732
I'll be taking a run at the section from Wawa ont. North to Hearst in the morning, alone. The little klx is all ready to go. 250kms of nothing. Hopefully it all works out. spot will be tracking.

my spot page
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:47 PM   #1882
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post

On the Holberg road we bumped into this ADV couple at a very smelly pullout.. They were a long way from their Colorado home and seemed to be enjoying the Island... We chatted for about a half hour...
That would be PrairieRider and me on our ADV Honeymoon

Good to meet you and Clayton. We had a spectacular trip. Thanks for the good weather

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:11 AM   #1883
olebiker
Old buzzard bait

Oddometer: 3,359
Deadly I am really curious about the availability of fuel on this TNE. Hard to imagine gas stations up there in the middle of nowhere?
olebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:53 AM   #1884
Fab418
Pig ridin'

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by olebiker View Post
Deadly I am really curious about the availability of fuel on this TNE. Hard to imagine gas stations up there in the middle of nowhere?
There is many outfitters up there so fuel tanks are spaced at max 300km apart usually.

Good info on the TT here
2 usefull pdf maps: here and here
I have another pdf from the Cree nation with more fuel stops on it. PM if interested.
Plus many RRs here on adv so have a look at some when planing.
My HPF: 21 inch-mx forks R11GS conversion

Fab418 screwed with this post 09-03-2011 at 03:10 AM
Fab418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:02 AM   #1885
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post
I'll be taking a run at the section from Wawa ont. North to Hearst in the morning, alone. The little klx is all ready to go. 250kms of nothing. Hopefully it all works out. spot will be tracking.

my spot page

GO!!!!! Gord

This is one of the last missing links and Finndian is riding a gpx track from a local atv fellow with warnings of swamp and bog in a few places. Very likely not doable but if it is........

Good luck and be safe as that's some very remote trails

I'll be watching your spot

Old 09-03-2011, 05:03 AM   #1886
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,040
Quote:
So Shipwreck, I hope you dont mind but I'll be snapping a bunch of pictures while we are travelling the route for the site and stopping to take notes the odd time. It should offer you up some smoke breaks

I have no issues stopping, this to me Is a holiday. Just me on smoke breaks? We will have to stop for me the most for gas stops.

I started changing the seat over last night to that new seat cover I bought, I haven't got to Ikea yet but I was in the new Ikea store they are building near Greenbank rd. That place is three floors the size of a football field each, flipping gi-normass...The seat change didn't go well. I need a better stapler gun and shorter staples.

I bought all the wiring to be able to charge our cell phones and communicators, I'll wire that today and change out that tire to the MT21 as I prefer the max load number. I don't believe the 50/50 duro tire will me/us any favors. What pressure should I set those tires for, for max life? I was thinking 25lbs.
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:10 AM   #1887
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by olebiker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab418 View Post
There is many outfitters up there so fuel tanks are spaced at max 300km apart usually.

Good info on the TT here
2 usefull pdf maps: here and here
I have another pdf from the Cree nation with more fuel stops on it. PM if interested.
Plus many RRs here on adv so have a look at some when planing.

As Fab mentioned gas stops utlilize hunt-fishing camps and hydro camps. The GPX files will have them noted or the description on the site will (TNE).

Safe bet for the northern half of the TNE is to plan for 600 km between gas even though 300 is plausible IF the camps are open and have gas. The TNE, like the TCAT travel throuigh very remote places and planning fuel stops is an important part of the trip. We will do our best to provide the information needed but I for one like to plan based on a "what if one isn't open when I get there" situation

As anyone who has ridden the Trans Taiga will tell you, its a long freaking way to anywhere up there and good prep is essential to a safe trip.

Deadly99 screwed with this post 09-03-2011 at 05:23 AM
Old 09-03-2011, 05:20 AM   #1888
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
I have no issues stopping, this to me Is a holiday. Just me on smoke breaks? We will have to stop for me the most for gas stops.

I started changing the seat over last night to that new seat cover I bought, I haven't got to Ikea yet but I was in the new Ikea store they are building near Greenbank rd. That place is three floors the size of a football field each, flipping gi-normass...The seat change didn't go well. I need a better stapler gun and shorter staples.

I bought all the wiring to be able to charge our cell phones and communicators, I'll wire that today and change out that tire to the MT21 as I prefer the max load number. I don't believe the 50/50 duro tire will me/us any favors. What pressure should I set those tires for, for max life? I was thinking 25lbs.

32 front and rear, tires last longer and less chance of denting a rim. Comes at the expense of stability offroading mind you.
My two cents but everyone has an opinion

As for keeping feet dry I ride with big black garbage bags under my boots and pants, they cover right up to my thighs. Cheap and easy to pack. Only on rainy days and when water crossings are likely. Dry feet make me enjoy the ride more

Old 09-03-2011, 05:51 AM   #1889
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:
As for keeping feet dry I ride with big black garbage bags under my boots and pants, they cover right up to my thighs. Cheap and easy to pack. Only on rainy days and when water crossings are likely. Dry feet make me enjoy the ride more
A little pricey, but kept my feet dry as a bone the whole Roaming Rally this year!
Old 09-03-2011, 06:22 AM   #1890
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Something isn't jiving here, you ride a klr and have fancy socks, I ride a ktm and use garbage bags...WTF