Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #1906
rinho
Rinho Féroce

Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Indeed True North East, its a side project I have been working on. A GPS route from the New Brunswick/Maine border that terminates at the end of the Trans Taiga. The intent is to have the route desciption, photos,etc and gps files ready for when the new web site goes live this fall.

In a nutshell the route will cross the province of New Brunswick, do a loop around the Gaspe Pennisula, ferry across the St Lawrence river, utilize Fabs section of the TCAT, travel the Rue Du Nord, briefly jump on the James Bay Highway before hanging a right and ending at the terminus of the Trans Taiga. Probably a two week trip (return) for most folks. 80% gravel roads, 20% pavement. For folks living in the east I think it would make a real nice route and offers a nice alternative to some of the more populare trips most folks take (Trans Lab, etc). The roads it uses are very remote, in fact I will say some of them are the most remote roads in North America

The TNE should be big bike friendly and like all routes the gps files will be downloadable at no charge. A couple of pages on the new site are dedicated to the write up/route description I have been working on.

So Shipwreck, I hope you dont mind but I'll be snapping a bunch of pictures while we are travelling the route for the site and stopping to take notes the odd time. It should offer you up some smoke breaks
Around Nemeska, there's a trail you can use to reach the Baie James road northest... in the eastmain river area.

Another good thing with Nemaska... they have a small hopsital and they are availe to send you (small plane) to a bigger Hospital in Montreal... could be very usefull
Old 09-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #1907
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,901
Is that what you used??
Old 09-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #1908
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider23 View Post
No mud in NFLD Dan, just bottomless bog
I found some good gravel last year but on the north coast, the southern peninsula's looked like a good place for bogs ... pretty desolate without much in the way of trees .... stay away
Old 09-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #1909
rinho
Rinho Féroce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
Is that what you used??
Yes...
I don't know why (and don't remember) but my friends were not able to send the SOS message from my Spot (wich was working correctly !) and I did not help them because I only wanted to jump on my bike and ride again
I was then sent by road to Nemeska (a friend used is sat phone and call 911).
Once there, the doctors first thaugh I just needed some peace and to stay quiet few hours/days until I said I lost my conscience few seconds right after the accidents.
they then décided immediatly to send me to Mc Gill in Montreal, to visit a neuro and to have an IRM and a scanner
Good idea !
The only thing I remember from all this is 15 seconds in the plane, looking at the ceiling and feeling the holes on the tarmac
Old 09-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #1910
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,067
I think the bike is ready for next weeks trip to the east coast....

New seat
new windshield for long highwy runs
oxford bone dry hand protectors
new rear tire
new oil and filter

do you every get the feeling you are finished.... I just can't get over the feeling there is more, or I'm missing something.?

shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #1911
rinho
Rinho Féroce

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
.../... I just can't get over the feeling there is more, or I'm missing something.?
Same for me !
But I always remember what is missing... once I'm away
Old 09-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #1912
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinho View Post
Yes...
I don't know why (and don't remember) but my friends were not able to send the SOS message from my Spot (wich was working correctly !) and I did not help them because I only wanted to jump on my bike and ride again
I was then sent by road to Nemeska (a friend used is sat phone and call 911).
Once there, the doctors first thaugh I just needed some peace and to stay quiet few hours/days until I said I lost my conscience few seconds right after the accidents.
they then décided immediatly to send me to Mc Gill in Montreal, to visit a neuro and to have an IRM and a scanner
Good idea !
The only thing I remember from all this is 15 seconds in the plane, looking at the ceiling and feeling the holes on the tarmac
Man, you really gave your head a good shot ... anbody get video's??
Old 09-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #1913
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post

do you every get the feeling you are finished.... I just can't get over the feeling there is more, or I'm missing something.?

Prepare as well as you can, and improvise when things go wrong.

On our 2-week back roads tour of Vancouver Island, we had to deal with three incidents.

#1: Paula went down at about 30mph on a gravel road near Bamfield. She ripped off a side bag and tail trunk. Using heavy rope salvaged from our campsite the previous night, she was able to strap the bag onto her rear seat, and strap the tail trunk into place. Port Alberni had a good welding shop at the shipyards that had her fixed up in a day. Port towns are great places to get repairs done.

#2: A saddlebag mounting frame bolt was found missing. Always carry spare bolts for key structural elements. We had something close, and made up the difference with heavy wire and duct tape. Always carry plenty of wire and duct tape.

#3: I picked up a nail in the rear tire of my bike. I had spare tubes for both front & rear. After a botched repair, we ended up using my spare tube. We also went thru 5 CO2 cylinders and had issues with one of our two backup hand pumps.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #1914
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,991
Vancouver Island question

I have a route question on Vancouver Island. Last week we tried to find a route from Cameron River over to Nitinat. We made it all the way up to Peak Lake, where the route became overgrown. Being an hour from sunset, on fully (over?) loaded KLRs, and having a non-refundable reservation in Victoria for the night, we opted to turn around when the track became too overgrown.

Is there a 2-wheel route that can be used to connect thru here? Google Earth shows some promising tracks, but reality on the ground can be very different.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #1915
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,176
I feel like I'm over packed, but prepared. We will be leaving tomorrow morn to ride the TB to Kenora leg of the TCAT. Won't be on advrider after crossing into Canada, just can't afford the charges. Here's our SPOT page. Hopefully we won't go near the "help" button. I'll be on my trusty, fat R80 ST, and Mike will be on his KLR.

Still can't decide if I should take heated liner and gloves. Damn they take up a lot of space! See y'all on the flip side.!
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #1916
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Take them if possible

Just checked and weather looks pretty good, http://www.theweathernetwork.com/ind...340&switchto=f
Old 09-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #1917
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,746
Definatetly take them
It was 4 degrees Celcius on my trek Yesterday morning. I was wishing I had warmer gloves and a heated vest everytime I stopped to thaw out my frozen fingers.
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #1918
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
I feel like I'm over packed, but prepared. We will be leaving tomorrow morn to ride the TB to Kenora leg of the TCAT. Won't be on advrider after crossing into Canada, just can't afford the charges. Here's our SPOT page. Hopefully we won't go near the "help" button. I'll be on my trusty, fat R80 ST, and Mike will be on his KLR.

Still can't decide if I should take heated liner and gloves. Damn they take up a lot of space! See y'all on the flip side.!

Safe travels, we will be watching your spot.

Forecast looks good for your ride which is great, when you pass through Wawa stop in and say hi to Finndian. (Gord). He has a shop in town (atv's, bikes and snowmobiles) and I hear he enjoys beer

Can't wait to hear the report and see some pics.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #1919
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post

The wilds of Northern Ontario always amaze me. Old abandoned and long forgotten places to explore.
I made it through to Hearst Yesterday. NO MUD on this run but some nice high speed logging roads. I was wishing I had taken my 950. the klx 250 has a 330 big bore but running at 6500 rpm to go 100kph for hours gets old fast.
I left home at 730 am, took lots of stops to thaw out, had lunch for an hour to warm up in hearst, had a good fairly high speed wipeout on the way back and was home at 530pm. Now I know I can make it there faster on dirt than the highway. cool.
I'll post up some pics and more info later.
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #1920
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post
I made it through to Hearst Yesterday. NO MUD on this run but some nice high speed logging roads. I was wishing I had taken my 950. the klx 250 has a 330 big bore but running at 6500 rpm to go 100kph for hours gets old fast.
I left home at 730 am, took lots of stops to thaw out, had lunch for an hour to warm up in hearst, had a good fairly high speed wipeout on the way back and was home at 530pm. Now I know I can make it there faster on dirt than the highway. cool.
I'll post up some pics and more info later.

Most folks wouldn't realize how huge that is for the TCAT. AWESOME

A huge thanks to Finndian as he provided the tracks for the TCAT from Timmins to Hearst. Also the excellent roads from Sudbury to Timmins . This section is quite likely one of the hardest to map for the entire route as roads and trails dont show up on any maps and the ones that do either don't exist or have been decommissioned with gates or trenches. Add the proximity from where I live and this part of the route has been stressing me out if the TCAT is to get completed in a timely manner. Now it looks like is complete. Jenna is heading to out to take over the route from Marathon to Kenora. The Trans Canada highway is being utilized in a couple of places. From Marathon to near Thunder Bay, but I choose to do this for two reasons. The first is that I think it's a fun stretch of paved road with amazing views of Lake Superior and secondly to make up some time on the route. A few sections have become longer than anticipated and I sincerely want the TCAT to be doable within a reasonable amount of time, this means in a few spots some slab has to be utilized. In the end I think its the right decision although it means a bit more pavement than originally planned. Time will tell but I think after three straight weeks of gravel an afternoon of slab with beautiful scenery will be a good thing.

I am continually blown away by peoples willingness to help out with project and can't say thank you enough times. THANKS ! Without everyone's involvement there is no way this would have been feasible nor would the route have turned out as good as it is. Locals knowledge is making this route much, much, much better than I could ever have visioned.

Safe travels everyone, I just finished prepping my bike and head out in a couple of days with Shipwreck to head east to explore and ride what promises to be some scenic and fun looking parts of the country. It'll let me practice my charades skills again in Quebec

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote