Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #2086
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymanbro View Post
One on the way out and the other on the way back...

My thoughts exactly, if only I could take about three months off of work, and family....
Reconstructed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #2087
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 945
Wicked No Prob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconstructed View Post
My thoughts exactly, if only I could take about three months off of work, and family....
Hay it easy to take time off work and family, one quit your job, two divorce the wife,three sell the kids. Didn't say it would be easy or smart thing to do . I did two out of the three and can't do the third .

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #2088
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
Hay it easy to take time off work and family, one quit your job, two divorce the wife,three sell the kids. Didn't say it would be easy or smart thing to do . I did two out of the three and can't do the third .

Ahh, temptations, temptations.
Reconstructed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #2089
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,913
Unfortunately kids aren't bringing top dollar anymore
Old 10-04-2011, 07:19 PM   #2090
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,181
....Part 2.

I felt a bit like a heel. Mike thought maybe he should go back to Silver Dollar for assistance, or at least run up 642. I didn't think either was a good idea, and I was really surprised my bike was still stuck.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Yep, still stuck.

We discussed the pulley system and looked around at very little options. Then Mike had an idea.

Dig a hole...

Cut down a tree..

We basically made a lever, and I guess we could have dug multiple holes to use as anchor points, but honestly, that ground was a bitch to dig. Very sandy and rocky. For the lever hole we had to pack rocks at the front as the hole was eroding. It worked like a charm.

By this time, we were pretty tired and quit taking pictures.

My hair began to turn grey as we sorted out our next move and I wondered how I was going to tell Mike the bike had been in 2nd gear. I assume it upshifted one of the 2,819 times it fell over.

Do we camp? I was too tired to camp, cook, or do much of anything after that last few hours. Doesn't seem like a such a big deal now, but at the time it was a major buzzkill.!!

After this wash out the railbed gets very over grown. You'll be ducking under trees and getting smacked in the face by smaller ones. There is a swampy looking area just after the wash out that could be a potential water crossing, but was bone dry and lumpy when we had gotten to it.

Again, no pics. But, we crossed 642 and hit a dead end on the rail bed.

Apparently this "private road" gate is new and not legal. There really wasn't a way around, but I didn't look very hard as I am not about to recommend trespassing on the TCAT. I was told that the owner of Discovery Lake Lodge has closed it without permission or purchase of land. So that's what I know. We were bummed after passing the wash out and being prevented from riding the rail bed into Sioux Lookout. We rode 642 all the way in, I'd say we were maybe 20 miles from town.

We chickened out and stayed at the Forest Inn, so we don't know where a good camp spot would be near Sioux Lookout.

It was nice to be in a hotel room and get a chance to dry out maybe one pair of socks and underwear. We smelled bad, we were hungry, and we were slap happy. I do not recommend the pizza at Desperate Dicks and Durty Nellies. But I liked the bar at the Forest Inn. The bartender was a pretty neat girl and told us stories of fishing and hunting with her dad. We had some errands to run the next day before making our way to Ear Falls.

Heading out to look for a big ass logging road that would take us to Ear Falls. Better known as Vermillion River Rd or the "Old Bush Road".

Lots of locals told me to watch myself in the turns as the "natives" have no driving laws and will hog the road. I was more worried about the logging trucks and the sky.....

The road was a nice, well maintained road, but had tendencies to collect sand in weird areas. So mind the sand pit, the road is all one color so it was hard to see where the sand may be.

It was a fairly uneventful day to Ear Falls. The only bummer was the rain and the falling temperature.

We had to stop and put on some extra layers, but there wasn't a whole lot of cover.

Lots of small bridges on this stretch.

We got into Ear Falls as the heavens opened. We spent a bit of time inside of a gas station and car/truck/tractor/snow machine/motorcycle repair shop. The guy gave us some great directions to a favorite camp spot of his about 1 hour outside the city.

Stay to the right when you see this intersection.

The sun did make an appearance.

We got to the lake and had many options to camp, but ultimately we ended up by the lake.

There is a forked intersection around the lake, and if we had taken the right fork there was a camp site with a 4 post for tarp hanging. So if you've got a big tarp and crappy weather a comin', maybe the moose hunters site is for you!!! Look for 2 roads just past the forked intersection where you go to the left and they will be on the right. We took the second road and ended up here.

It was a cold nite, Mike hung the tarp (tall guy) as I hunted firewood. It began to snow.

It got colder.

I was happy I had brought the tarp as we began doing everything underneath it. Peeing, cooking, drinking, smoking, drying clothes, ect.

Coldest nite by far. I couldn't tell you the temp but I'm certain it was close to 0c.

Oh hail!

On with the heated gear (thx Dan A.), and off to Kenora!!

Had to reroute the end into Kenora, no biggie and was able to stay on the dirt just a few miles of pavement into Kenora which was a plus.!!

This is where we supposed to turn for the last stretch to Kenora.

That was it. We had done it. Time for a beer and some food at a local pub. Mike took a pic of the place. It was somewhat anti-climatic, not sure what I expected. I was tired and we planned to camp again and went straight to work trying to find the next spot.

I would say this section could easily be done in 3 days with picture taking, 2 if you want to seriously haul ass. There are 2 sections that are not that big bike friendly but can easily be routed around.

Thanks all for including us in this, it was a lot of fun.

hardwaregrrl screwed with this post 10-04-2011 at 07:25 PM
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:19 PM   #2091
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 945
Laugh Add booze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconstructed View Post
Ahh, temptations, temptations.
All you need is a little push over the edge with some alcohol then things start to fall into place.
As for the kids well.... hope the new ex will look after them then

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #2092
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,860
Thanks Jenna, looks like another great section of the TCAT. Another missing piece to the puzzle is complete

Its hard to portray the wilderness and the feeling of being way out there in photos and words, i'm glad you enjoyed the experience

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:08 AM   #2093
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Howdy Hardwaregrrl,
I enjoyed reading your latest postings here on your trip. I also enjoyed reading your RR on your Labrador adventure. Thank you for taking the time and effort to relate it to the ADV community. I’m hoping you can clarify something for me. When you mentioned “Lots of locals told me to watch myself in the turns as the "natives" have no driving laws and will hog the road. I was more worried about the logging trucks and the sky.....” by natives were they referring to Native Americans or simply wildlife? I’ve had the occasion to nearly run into 2 adult moose standing mid apex on a turn blocking both lanes. I was glad for the excellent brakes on my GSX-R that day.

Does anyone in that neck of the woods have the resources to look further into the possible illegal gating of the road by the lodge owner?
Old 10-05-2011, 07:41 AM   #2094
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Hey thanks BN!!! The locals were referring the First Nation peoples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike Nomad View Post
Howdy Hardwaregrrl,
I enjoyed reading your latest postings here on your trip. I also enjoyed reading your RR on your Labrador adventure. Thank you for taking the time and effort to relate it to the ADV community. I’m hoping you can clarify something for me. When you mentioned “Lots of locals told me to watch myself in the turns as the "natives" have no driving laws and will hog the road. I was more worried about the logging trucks and the sky.....” by natives were they referring to Native Americans or simply wildlife? I’ve had the occasion to nearly run into 2 adult moose standing mid apex on a turn blocking both lanes. I was glad for the excellent brakes on my GSX-R that day.

Does anyone in that neck of the woods have the resources to look further into the possible illegal gating of the road by the lodge owner?
Old 10-05-2011, 07:44 AM   #2095
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Indeed, watch out for the First Nations folks as they "own the roads"

Old 10-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #2096
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Well, it would have been a major road block for us if she was the driver.

We didn't have any problems btw, I think people are just paranoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Indeed, watch out for the First Nations folks as they "own the roads"

Old 10-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #2097
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,986
Van Isle stuff: Side trip to Cain and Abel..
I was almost ready to cancel because of the weather forecast but decided to tough it out... When I crossed to Mcneill it started to rain but after 10 kliks down the road it quit...

We arrived at the mountain and followed the track to where it ended at some nice meadows.. Up higher things were sopped in between 4000-5000'

The weather was otherwise nice so we decided to head in on foot..

Paul studying things with the binos

If you want to experience an ice cream headache drink this water...

We decided to climb and hope the cloud lifts

A bit of a workout for the L and L {legs and lungs}

We climbed up to about 4400' and hit the cloud and drizzle, not much point in going any further with no view....

Heading down

We traversed the snowfields with caution ....

As there were several areas where you could drop through...

A snowboard hung in a tree is a good indicator of midwinter snow depths...

Lunch in the meadows for us and flocks of mosquitos

#5Lotsa tarns in the meadows

A bit of a rough trail on the way out

We did a few side trips on the way home and were accompanied by a light drizzle until just before Mcneill, then the skies opened up... I hope the person on the blue V Strom found somewhere dry to hide...
Thanks Paul for tagging along...

Had to go back up to complete an incomplete hike, today was the day... Paul was busy moving so once again I went solo...

When I got to the start point {3000'} I found that most of my water had leaked out of my pack through a pinched bite valve... Kinda a bummer because in 25C + temps water is real handy...

About here on the way up I ran out....

Lotsa craggy peaks in the area

Backside valley S.E. of the summit

Double summit the main is on the right

Last push to the top follows a chimney up

Up on top and a fantastic 360 view

Summit cairn and the southern valley

It was a warm one today
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #2098
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Man with my same mindset-hiking & biking,beautiful pictures. Will those trails be on the TCAT as well?
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #2099
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
Man with my same mindset-hiking & biking,beautiful pictures. Will those trails be on the TCAT as well?
The Cain/Abel area is a worthwhile sidetrip off the TCAT...The distance off track is about 40 KM to the peaks...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #2100
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Stunning scenery

That's one heck of an island you live on