User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2011, 05:32 AM   #2146
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 733
great start on the website...

feedback? Unless your going for financial gain down the road, I would lose the shopping cart method for downloading route GPX files. More trouble than it's worth and a PITA for end user. Keep it simple... provide a file link from the route page. For a reference, I like how motorcyclejazz setup his route page for tour of idaho .

I sincerely admire all the hard work put into this project of love.
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #2147
garry499
Race for food!

Oddometer: 69
Laugh Yep Were members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiffernathan View Post
Just saw this post on the site. Once you're online in S'toon check out the Sask Dual Sport Club site: http://sites.google.com/site/saskatchewandualsportclub/. We're not a big club, but if you want to hook up with other riders it's a great start. Hope to grow too, and posts are always welcome from new members. If you like trail riding we'll have to get you out to the Nisbet Forest (about an hour north of the city) where there are some good trails. We'll have to get a Cypress Ride going again this year too, and maybe Narrow Hills again in the Northeast part of the province. Everything from forest to prairie out here if you know where to look.

Look forward to meeting you.
Hell yea. Im a member ( garry499 ) and my bro ( klr.drifter ) are chomping at the bit to tour northern Sask. He has been up around Carrot River in the past and we both look forward to heading up there next summer. To keep us sane we just bought a 1978 KE 175 to tinker with till then. Near mint with just a little age showing, it will be a fun project to get us through the white stuff blues.
garry499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:28 AM   #2148
BordenBmw
TheFrenchRider

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiffernathan View Post
Just saw this post on the site. Once you're online in S'toon check out the Sask Dual Sport Club site: http://sites.google.com/site/saskatchewandualsportclub/. We're not a big club, but if you want to hook up with other riders it's a great start. Hope to grow too, and posts are always welcome from new members. If you like trail riding we'll have to get you out to the Nisbet Forest (about an hour north of the city) where there are some good trails. We'll have to get a Cypress Ride going again this year too, and maybe Narrow Hills again in the Northeast part of the province. Everything from forest to prairie out here if you know where to look.

Look forward to meeting you.
Kiffernathan I really do need to get involve with the local club. Once Spring is back will have to meet

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry499 View Post
Hell yea. Im a member ( garry499 ) and my bro ( klr.drifter ) are chomping at the bit to tour northern Sask. He has been up around Carrot River in the past and we both look forward to heading up there next summer. To keep us sane we just bought a 1978 KE 175 to tinker with till then. Near mint with just a little age showing, it will be a fun project to get us through the white stuff blues.
Moved from Ottawa area 5 years ago (Clarence-Rockland) and Saskatchewan is a great place to DualSport you will like it .

BordenBmw screwed with this post 11-09-2011 at 01:19 PM
BordenBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #2149
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
I just watched the TCAT video and all I can say is... It's AWESOME!
I want to go NOW, but it's kinda the wrong end of winter...
Soon!

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #2150
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Mike View Post
I just watched the TCAT video and all I can say is... It's AWESOME!
I want to go NOW, but it's kinda the wrong end of winter...
Soon!
What's this about "Winter"?

16.5 C today near Ottawa...

It's still riding weather here! We've been out almost every day we haven't had to work in the last month.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #2151
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
Emmbeedee said:
Quote:
What's this about "Winter"?

the wrong "end" of winter...as in, about the beginning instead of about the end... I have snow on my riding trails, and friends in Wyoming that have 6-8" of white on the level, so I'm sorry if I disappoint you and wuss out on a cross-continental adventure just now!

I did a fly-n-ride last year about this time and just beat the snow home... we already have snow on the pass this year!

Remember, de Nile IS a river in Egypt! (I've seen it!)

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #2152
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 281
Sweet work on the site !!!!!! - I have been following your progress building the TCAT for over a year and have already added it to my "To-Do" list when the kids get older - "Hurry up Kids - grow the F up - I got some riding to do"

Just one question - on the site, it was looking for a User and Password when I was downloading the files - do you create them or is it a ID-10T error on my side cause I can't find Create an Account button
AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:23 AM   #2153
Fab418
Pig ridin'

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
great start on the website...

feedback? Unless your going for financial gain down the road, I would lose the shopping cart method for downloading route GPX files. More trouble than it's worth and a PITA for end user. Keep it simple... provide a file link from the route page. For a reference, I like how motorcyclejazz setup his route page for tour of idaho .

I sincerely admire all the hard work put into this project of love.
Thanks for the feedback. The shopping cart method is there so that Deadly have a record of the users that downloaded the files AND agreed to the disclaimer (terms and conditions). Liability issue. Sorry about it being a PITA to file but at least you only have to do it once; the subsequent login are just user and password.

Also, considering that the TCAT will take you about 3 months to ride through, is a 5 minutes registration such a big deal? If we would've though like that from the beggining, this project wouldn't be where it is now. Sorry to waste you time. Just kidding.
My HPF: 21 inch-mx forks R11GS conversion
Fab418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:01 AM   #2154
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltRoute View Post
Sweet work on the site !!!!!! - I have been following your progress building the TCAT for over a year and have already added it to my "To-Do" list when the kids get older - "Hurry up Kids - grow the F up - I got some riding to do"

Just one question - on the site, it was looking for a User and Password when I was downloading the files - do you create them or is it a ID-10T error on my side cause I can't find Create an Account button
Just fill out the form when you "checkout", this creates an account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab418 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. The shopping cart method is there so that Deadly have a record of the users that downloaded the files AND agreed to the disclaimer (terms and conditions). Liability issue. Sorry about it being a PITA to file but at least you only have to do it once; the subsequent login are just user and password.

Also, considering that the TCAT will take you about 3 months to ride through, is a 5 minutes registration such a big deal? If we would've though like that from the beggining, this project wouldn't be where it is now. Sorry to waste you time. Just kidding.
Well put Fab

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #2155
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
After many, many hours of work the web site is now live.

Www.graveltravel.ca

I need to give a HUGE thanks to Fab who has spent countless hours working and teaching me how to build a web site

Also a huge thanks to everyone who has contributed photos and content to the site

It's a work in progress and I hope it's useful for folks. Additional content is being worked on...

Feedback is always welcome, after all the site is for folks like you.

How about adding a list of contributors to the website who helped you with GPS tracks who without them, this project would have been a lot more laborious.
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #2156
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaner32 View Post
How about adding a list of contributors to the website who helped you with GPS tracks who without them, this project would have been a lot more laborious.
PM sent

Old 11-15-2011, 04:38 AM   #2157
kiffernathan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Sniff - riding is only a pipe dream here. Snow on the ground and icy roads since Nov 4 or so. Barely been above zero since then. TCAT planning will have to occur on maps only for the next 6 months or so...

On the plus side I was discussing things with my wife the other day, and there's a chance I might be able to get enough time off from the family to ride the entire MB/SK/AB part of the route with you guys next summer. Unofficially the route distance from the MB/ON border to Radium BC is 4341 km, with the potential for an extra 50-200 km or so once I complete Sask and SE BC. For those keeping track, the Great Divide Ride (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260555) from Roosville MT to Antelope Wells NM was about 4400 km... The funny part is that this is probably only about 1/3 of the TCAT if that!

Some stats on my section:
Length of route in Manitoba = 830 km
Length of route in Sask = 1788 km (may increase)
Length of route in Alberta = 1449 km (winds around a lot!)
Length of route in BC = 274 km (may increase)
Length of route in the Rockies/with good view of the Rockies = 902 km

I've ridden almost all of this (about 600 km left to go) and I want to do it all again already!
2007 Versys
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260555
kiffernathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:20 AM   #2158
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Great news about the potential vacation time

As for distances....add about

1200 km for Newfoundland
2000 km for Labrador
1800 km for Quebec
2800 km for Ontario
XXXX km for the rest of BC (Ross)
XXXX km for Vancouver Island (David)

I'd say your section will be a bit under 1/4 or close to 1/5 of the route if I was a betting man. My wild guess of 15, 000 km's might just prove to be fairly accurate.

My bike is put away for the winter as I expect most of the contributers are, so other than keyboard work the route is hibernating until spring time.

A few folks may be pre riding different sections to verify the gps files, I'll be heading west to ride that half of the route with Ross, David and Chris who created the different parts of it.

All in all its looking good to have this completed next fall and ready for distribution shortly after.

Wow, the end is in site, its been a long few years and I am stoked the momentum is still rolling. When its said and done this will make one heck of an expedition route

Old 11-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #2159
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post

As for distances....add about

1200 km for Newfoundland
2000 km for Labrador
1800 km for Quebec
2800 km for Ontario
XXXX km for the rest of BC (Ross)
XXXX km for Vancouver Island (David)
The mainland BC section should end up being about 2800 km. Add in another 3-400 km more if all the technical/scenic "specials" are ridden.

We look to be just over 15000 km without adding the Island's mileage in. Final likely to be 16000ish.

MANXMAN screwed with this post 11-16-2011 at 01:56 AM
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #2160
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Who Will Be The First?

Maybe me.

I plan on departing June 2nd and travel west. I have bought a second KTM990R that I will equip during the winter for this ride. Hoping to be finished by mid July. A buddy of mine will ride for the first week and then I am on my own.

Having ridden around the world, I was surprised how much of the world is paved. This route sounds like it could offer more dirt than my RTW trip did.

Thanks to everyone who has made this ride possible. Hopefully I will see the Pacific in about six weeks after departure.