ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #2626
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper
 
gunnerbuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: N.V.I, B.C.
Oddometer: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANXMAN View Post
Great news to hear the Island section is ready to go in May.

I sure can't say that for the BC Mainland section of the TCAT for a while yet. Still lots of snow pack to melt in the higher elevations and with all the heavy rain around the province right now, we are starting to see some of the normal flooding from swollen rivers. Keeping my fingers crossed that we don't loose too many bridges or have too many wash outs along the route during the next couple of months.

I'm planning on exploring the higher areas of the route at the end of June and will take a tally of what is open and what parts of the route that will be detoured around.

If things go well, hopefully the entire route will be open by mid July.
Yep, the forecast doesn't sound good for the interior... Those dry bits in the Chilcotin/West Cariboo won't hold up to any amount of rain, I expect that some of those roads will be washed out...

White Gold pass was the one on the Island section that usually holds the snow the longest, but there is logging activity right on the divide so they ran a bulldozer up it in order to be able to truck the logs out...

The heatwave we had at the beginning of May really cut down the snow pack and raised river levels enough to submerge Vernon Lake campground for a few days... I have ridden all the Northern half sections of the Island route and they are open.. Riders have been going through the section from Port Alberni to Comox lake and finding the gates open, hopefully that will be case for the long run....
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #2627
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker
 
WhicheverAnyWayCan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Seven Springs NC
Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANXMAN View Post
Great news to hear the Island section is ready to go in May.

I sure can't say that for the BC Mainland section of the TCAT for a while yet. Still lots of snow pack to melt in the higher elevations and with all the heavy rain around the province right now, we are starting to see some of the normal flooding from swollen rivers. Keeping my fingers crossed that we don't loose too many bridges or have too many wash outs along the route during the next couple of months.

I'm planning on exploring the higher areas of the route at the end of June and will take a tally of what is open and what parts of the route that will be detoured around.

If things go well, hopefully the entire route will be open by mid July.
Think there will still be a good chance riders can get through most part of TCAT trail in mainland of BC mid/late June?? Hoping to start eastern section of TCAT early May and be in Vancouver or Seattle to ship bike oversea before July 1st. Any thought?? Possible come to judging call once I am in the area and determine if I can press on or abandon the trail and slab it southbound to Seattle? Will be for next year or two, not this year. Think I heard winter was bad this year?
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #2628
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DNF's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Kootenays
Oddometer: 404
We just got a whack of snow up high. The mountains at Grey Creek were showing rock and now they are white white white. Probably more tonight as we are getting more rain with low temps.
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #2629
MANXMAN
Overlander
 
MANXMAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: BRITISH Columbia
Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Think there will still be a good chance riders can get through most part of TCAT trail in mainland of BC mid/late June?? Hoping to start eastern section of TCAT early May and be in Vancouver or Seattle to ship bike oversea before July 1st. Any thought?? Possible come to judging call once I am in the area and determine if I can press on or abandon the trail and slab it southbound to Seattle? Will be for next year or two, not this year. Think I heard winter was bad this year?
Based on the last two years history and what appears to be happening again this year, mid to late June is pretty early. Expect to be detouring around closed or damaged gravel roads in several areas. There is always a paved alternative to get you around the problem areas but then you will miss some the back country scenery and solitude of the TCAT route.

Hopefully when you get to BC, we can supply up to date information on what's open and even some suggestions on the best detours to use.
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #2630
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker
 
WhicheverAnyWayCan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Seven Springs NC
Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANXMAN View Post
Based on the last two years history and what appears to be happening again this year, mid to late June is pretty early. Expect to be detouring around closed or damaged gravel roads in several areas. There is always a paved alternative to get you around the problem areas but then you will miss some the back country scenery and solitude of the TCAT route.

Hopefully when you get to BC, we can supply up to date information on what's open and even some suggestions on the best detours to use.
Ok, thanks for the update! I imagine this year would be much worse?? It's practically snowing in northeast of USA! Whoever is planning to do TCAT from eastern section this year might want to be aware of this when planning the date??
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #2631
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far
 
Deadly99's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Merrickville, Canada
Oddometer: 8,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Ok, thanks for the update! I imagine this year would be much worse?? It's practically snowing in northeast of USA! Whoever is planning to do TCAT from eastern section this year might want to be aware of this when planning the date??
Kevin has just ridden from San Diego to Nova Scotia and is experiencing that brutal weather you are mentioning....check out his blog
https://sites.google.com/site/gpskev...ada-trail-2013

He should be starting the TCAT in a day or two..

SPOT http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YRHNEd9VYjEiug


Looking at the forecast of where he will be in the next week it looks like the weather should be warming up for him...although there will likely be some cold morning in NFLD and Labrador.
__________________
Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)


Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #2632
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker
 
WhicheverAnyWayCan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Seven Springs NC
Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Kevin has just ridden from San Diego to Nova Scotia and is experiencing that brutal weather you are mentioning....check out his blog
https://sites.google.com/site/gpskev...ada-trail-2013

He should be starting the TCAT in a day or two..

SPOT http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YRHNEd9VYjEiug


Looking at the forecast of where he will be in the next week it looks like the weather should be warming up for him...although there will likely be some cold morning in NFLD and Labrador.
Awesome!! Thanks for sharing!! Oh I have but one suggest for TCAT website?? How about adding that TCAT map showing how long the trail is from east coast to west coast so people will have better picture of the TCAT??
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #2633
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time
 
Cannonshot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Oddometer: 19,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Also of note is version 2.2 of the gpx file download has been published. Once again a thanks to Cannonshot who has spent hours going over the track file in methodical detail to find minor inconsistencies between the tracks and what satellite maps show..THANKS!
Very happy to contribute to this project Ted.

I think the first version that was published had 13 waypoints and 46 tracks. Over the months I was able to seek out and include 957 waypoints (fuel, medical, POIs, dealerships, etc), and redid the track structure and detail to 117 ordered tracks. Looking forward to getting some actual recorded track back in a few areas to improve the detail of a few sections.

The img file of the track will be useful to some people that want to load it on units as discussed earlier.

Hope all this serves the riders well and I'm looking forward to reading about some great adventures on this path.
__________________
Cannonshot.net
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #2634
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far
 
Deadly99's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Merrickville, Canada
Oddometer: 8,970
Keith and Bryan fly into Eastern Canada from New Zealand at the end of the week to start their journey across Canada on the TCAT

I marked up some paper maps for them and have mailed them east for them to pick up. If anyone else is intending to ride the route and wants something similar give me a shout. Without question not something you could navigate by but sometimes its nice to have an overview of the route to see where you are in relation to your surroundings, etc








__________________
Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)


Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel

Deadly99 screwed with this post 06-03-2013 at 12:06 PM
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #2635
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer
 
Trane Francks's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Oddometer: 624
408km between fuel points. Prepare for that one in advance, kids.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #2636
TOTim
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TOTim's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Toronto On
Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
408km between fuel points. Prepare for that one in advance, kids.
That's on the Trans Lab Hwy. A little remote out there.
TOTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #2637
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer
 
Trane Francks's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOTim View Post
That's on the Trans Lab Hwy. A little remote out there.
Kinda makes me think twice about the idea of doing certain segments alone. Crash and you could end up as breakfast for a bear before anybody finds you.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #2638
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek
 
shipwrek12001's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 2,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
Kinda makes me think twice about the idea of doing certain segments alone. Crash and you could end up as breakfast for a bear before anybody finds you.

lots of parts are very remote..... the allure
__________________
Fak it, just go....
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #2639
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far
 
Deadly99's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Merrickville, Canada
Oddometer: 8,970
As Shipwreck mentioned the remoteness is the allure. To me, it's what makes the TCAT an expedition rather than just a bike trip. The difference being that an expedition requires careful planning.

GPSKevin just crossed into Labrador.
https://sites.google.com/site/gpskev...ada-trail-2013

Labrador highway is a good warmup for the remoteness the Quebec portion of the route offers. After Baie Comeau, Quebec there is a 380 km stretch without any sign of civilization. You reach a hydro camp with a gravity fed barrel of fuel then plunge back into another day of pretty remote riding that ends with a technical climb up a fairly large and rocky hill climb. It wouldn't be unheard of to not see another vehicle for these two days. If you do they likely won't speak a word of English
__________________
Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)


Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #2640
sthamerica
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: New Zealand
Oddometer: 50
Kiwi's ride the Big Dog - and with MAPS!

Deadly99 - you are the MAN! Thank you so much for the time and trouble of preparing those maps for us. You better work up a thirst for when we get to your place..!
(Pity the on-line maps didn't work out....)

As you mention, Bryan and I leave New Zealand for St Johns this Friday (Thursday Canada time).

We have planned the heck out of this. OK, we hear you all - as much as we can coming from a temperate, small country, with no nasty things outdoors.
Guess we will find out what we dont know or forgot real quick (who said bears?)!

We will have a SPOT Messenger on our ride, so we can share our location information with anyone interested.
We plan to start on the trail on June 11th. . It would be great to meet some fellow ADV riders whilst in your country.
Just follow this link to see our location updates:


https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=1X1424QDbpnhfRgfhhLlisiYUHVl8gU uf
The password is: sorebums


You may need to answer YES to accept a security question

If the link doesn't work, try copying and pasting it to your browser's address bar.

Again, Thanks Ted, Fabs, Gord and the many others who put the time into making this ride possible at their own cost.
sthamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014