ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #2641
just jeff
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: LacLaBiche Alberta Canada
Oddometer: 501
The area where I live and ride is a remote area. The farther from my house the more remote it gets. I carry bear spray and bear bangers on my belt any time I go into the bush. This is in addition to tools, parts, water, first aid kit and common sense. You need to realize that if you have an emergency, even if you have a Spot tracker, help could be hours or more away. Plan and ride accordingly.
Ride Safe....just jeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:05 AM   #2642
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?
 
hardwaregrrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 6,679
Yes!!!! Hope you guys have a blast!!!! I would love it if you started a photo heavy ride report.



Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamerica View Post
Deadly99 - you are the MAN! Thank you so much for the time and trouble of preparing those maps for us. You better work up a thirst for when we get to your place..!
(Pity the on-line maps didn't work out....)

As you mention, Bryan and I leave New Zealand for St Johns this Friday (Thursday Canada time).

We have planned the heck out of this. OK, we hear you all - as much as we can coming from a temperate, small country, with no nasty things outdoors.
Guess we will find out what we dont know or forgot real quick (who said bears?)!

We will have a SPOT Messenger on our ride, so we can share our location information with anyone interested.
We plan to start on the trail on June 11th. . It would be great to meet some fellow ADV riders whilst in your country.
Just follow this link to see our location updates:


https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=1X1424QDbpnhfRgfhhLlisiYUHVl8gU uf
The password is: sorebums


You may need to answer YES to accept a security question

If the link doesn't work, try copying and pasting it to your browser's address bar.

Again, Thanks Ted, Fabs, Gord and the many others who put the time into making this ride possible at their own cost.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:39 AM   #2643
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NEW ZEALAND
Oddometer: 1,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamerica View Post
Deadly99 - you are the MAN! Thank you so much for the time and trouble of preparing those maps for us. You better work up a thirst for when we get to your place..!
(Pity the on-line maps didn't work out....)

As you mention, Bryan and I leave New Zealand for St Johns this Friday (Thursday Canada time).

We have planned the heck out of this. OK, we hear you all - as much as we can coming from a temperate, small country, with no nasty things outdoors.
Guess we will find out what we dont know or forgot real quick (who said bears?)!

We will have a SPOT Messenger on our ride, so we can share our location information with anyone interested.
We plan to start on the trail on June 11th. . It would be great to meet some fellow ADV riders whilst in your country.
Just follow this link to see our location updates:


https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=1X1424QDbpnhfRgfhhLlisiYUHVl8gU uf
The password is: sorebums


You may need to answer YES to accept a security question

If the link doesn't work, try copying and pasting it to your browser's address bar.

Again, Thanks Ted, Fabs, Gord and the many others who put the time into making this ride possible at their own cost.
Go the Kiwi's. Hi guys, will be watching this with interest and may have to have a chat when you get back to NZ.
I'm hoping the TCAT will be Dawns and My next overseas expedition.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #2644
Critt
Gathering info
 
Critt's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Trenton, In the Sky
Oddometer: 100
gpsKevin Question

Hey, how does gpsKevin update his site everyday, even thoguh he is riding in remote places, likely without cell phone reception etc? He uploads hi-def videos and photos, as well as text, on a daily basis.(https://sites.google.com/site/gpskev...ada-trail-2013)
Critt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #2645
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far
 
Deadly99's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Merrickville, Canada
Oddometer: 8,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critt View Post
Hey, how does gpsKevin update his site everyday, even thoguh he is riding in remote places, likely without cell phone reception etc? He uploads hi-def videos and photos, as well as text, on a daily basis.(https://sites.google.com/site/gpskev...ada-trail-2013)

A few of his posts seem to be dated the day before he posts them. Even though some days are pretty remote they always start and stop in some sort of town (usuallly) IF you plan things properly and are willing to put in the miles required to make it to the next town each day. Perhaps Kevin can better explain this as I too am impressed he is keeping a semi live blog while riding...

My guess is he prepares the video each night in his tent then uploads when he finds a McDonalds or somewhere with wifi. I am quite enjoying following along with him, so kudos and thanks Kevin as I know its a bunch of work to keep a blog or ride report while on the road

I see Kevin has done a few days with some impressive mileage

Cool that he is riding with Fab for the next few days. If Kevin keeps to his schedule he should be at my place this thursday night to camp and tip some drinks with a 130 other like minded folks at the start of the Roaming Rally
__________________
Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)


Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel

Deadly99 screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 10:09 AM
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #2646
damurph
Cold Adventurer
 
damurph's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: The far east of the far east of North America
Oddometer: 1,260
Kevin is a skilled rider and was great company while here. He uploads at McDonalds restaurants during his oatmeal breakfasts.
__________________
R1150 GSA, KLR650, K75s(x3), RD350, PS250 (Big Ruckus), R65, 990 Spyder
If I still had every dollar I spent on motorbikes I would be a richer man but a poorer person.
damurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #2647
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek
 
shipwrek12001's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 2,028
Seeing Kevin is at Fab's home, curious how he made out on Fab's Hill?
__________________
Fak it, just go....
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #2648
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far
 
Deadly99's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Merrickville, Canada
Oddometer: 8,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
Seeing Kevin is at Fab's home, curious how he made out on Fab's Hill?

I was watching his spot page....not sure but it looks like he may have got to it then turned around and followed a different route into Saguenay....he should have popped out by the ski hill after Fabs Hill but he didn't...
__________________
Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)


Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #2649
sthamerica
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: New Zealand
Oddometer: 47
Laugh Kiwis on the Big Dog!

Tomorrow is the day we have been planning for 18 months!
St Johns even turned on a beautiful warm day today for our final set up. Jeez was it cold yesterday!
We reckon we and the bikes are as ready as can be, but time will tell....
We hope to make a post on the blog occasionally, with some pics if possible.

The good folk at Atlantic Recreation have done us proud and delivered on time, setting up the bikes to our requirements.

Plan is for Gander tomorrow (Tuesday ) Corner Brook Wednesday and on the arvo ferry to Labrador Thursday. Lets hope!

Great to see Tenere Kevin making such good time. We are hoping the weather is a little kinder to us!

Should be having a beer with Fabs this time or so next week!
sthamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #2650
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?
 
hardwaregrrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 6,679




Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamerica View Post
Tomorrow is the day we have been planning for 18 months!
St Johns even turned on a beautiful warm day today for our final set up. Jeez was it cold yesterday!
We reckon we and the bikes are as ready as can be, but time will tell....
We hope to make a post on the blog occasionally, with some pics if possible.

The good folk at Atlantic Recreation have done us proud and delivered on time, setting up the bikes to our requirements.

Plan is for Gander tomorrow (Tuesday ) Corner Brook Wednesday and on the arvo ferry to Labrador Thursday. Lets hope!

Great to see Tenere Kevin making such good time. We are hoping the weather is a little kinder to us!

Should be having a beer with Fabs this time or so next week!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #2651
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast
 
Dan Alexander's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Now only Montreal
Oddometer: 6,679


Wish I was out there right now!!
__________________
Beemers Past and Present: 74 R90S, 77 R100RS, 85 K100RS, 2x 87 K100RS, 96 R1100GS (getting hacked), 99 R1100S, 2002 R1150GS, 2005 F650 Dakar
Plus the occasional Triumph, BSA, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and KTM but who's counting
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:08 AM   #2652
pelvis_98
Havin A Time
 
pelvis_98's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Oxford Station, Ontario
Oddometer: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamerica View Post
Tomorrow is the day we have been planning for 18 months!
St Johns even turned on a beautiful warm day today for our final set up. Jeez was it cold yesterday!
We reckon we and the bikes are as ready as can be, but time will tell....
We hope to make a post on the blog occasionally, with some pics if possible.

The good folk at Atlantic Recreation have done us proud and delivered on time, setting up the bikes to our requirements.

Plan is for Gander tomorrow (Tuesday ) Corner Brook Wednesday and on the arvo ferry to Labrador Thursday. Lets hope!

Great to see Tenere Kevin making such good time. We are hoping the weather is a little kinder to us!

Should be having a beer with Fabs this time or so next week!

Looking forward swinging by Deadlys and having a beer with you guys.
pelvis_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:10 AM   #2653
Critt
Gathering info
 
Critt's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Trenton, In the Sky
Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by damurph View Post
Kevin is a skilled rider and was great company while here. He uploads at McDonalds restaurants during his oatmeal breakfasts.
So I suppose that he carries a laptop etc. What other equipment would he need? How does he keep his stuff charged? He seems to be doing a pretty good job.
Critt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #2654
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer
 
PPCLI-Jim's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Victoria BC where I ride year round.
Oddometer: 221
a 12v converter to 110 is a small item, if all you are charging is a small laptop. if the bike is running,its a fairly short time to charge. also at the McD's there are plug ins along the wall.
__________________
I'm not saying to kill all the stupid people . .. Just remove the warning labels and let nature run it's course


http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #2655
kiffernathan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kiffernathan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: S'toon, Canada
Oddometer: 116
Laptop battery ~4000 mAh capacity. Motorcycle battery ~ 20 Ah (20000 mAh). By this you could fully charge your laptop 5 times without running your bike before your bike battery would be fully drained.

Most people will charge their laptop before it is drained completely. Also, a small netbook will likely have a smaller battery. Taking these things into account it would probably take about 10% of your motorcycle battery capacity to charge your computer. You can probably get away without running the bike to do this. I know I have charged my netbook, iPhone, and GPS all from my KLR battery overnight and had no issues with starting the next day.
__________________
Chris
2007 KLR650
2009 KTM 690 Enduro R
2007 Versys
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260555
kiffernathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014