Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #2806
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,474
Whoa...that tire isn't going to get you too far. I had a 950 for a few years and the 908 from Dunlop was the only tire that I could get to last 5k km's of aggressive riding on gravel.

Travel safely, glad to hear the tracks are working well.

Spoke with the Kiwis via email today. They are having a rest day in Kelowna. Tomorrow they start their last leg of their journey, likely 4 days before they get to the coast

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #2807
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,909
Yeah I will have to find something tomorrow. A tyre for each province could he costly.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #2808
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
Yeah I will have to find something tomorrow. A tyre for each province could he costly.

I found that even on the 640 the TKC 80 was one of the shortest lifespan rear tires I ran... Like Deadly, I also am a fan of the D 908 but am not impressed by the price they want for them...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #2809
ciedema
мотоциклист

Yeah I thought I would get a little more out of it first time I have tried on the rear. I think I will try to find a 908 though don't really like how they handle.

Quote:
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.

ciedema screwed with this post 07-30-2013 at 07:58 PM
Old 07-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #2810
sthamerica
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Tails from the trail at 14,000 km.

Thursday July 25th: back on the trail after two great days break in Banff.

We picked local rider Jonathan up at his house who helped us navigate due to the number of roads closed by the recent catastrophic flooding. He lead us on great gravel back roads via Water Valley to join the trail at Canmore. Then the Smith Dorian highway - an amazing winding gravel road up the side of the mountains behind Canmore with spectacular views of the Rockies, then unfortunately we were turned back at Powderface Road due to flood damage making the road impassable.

Detoured using the GPS and travelled on more fast gravel roads, then a short section of track eventually arriving at Turner Valley where huge flood damage was evident. A local campground on the edge of the river had been destroyed and was now mud & debris that had been washed down & destroyed buildings. Apparantely in this area a young girl lost her life in the flood after being swept away and there was a lot of fundraising going on for her family & her horse who she was trying to save. We rode on to Black Diamond only 3kms away where Keith had a colourful conversation with an Asian motellier who was obviously anti motorcyclist (Cowboy Trail Motel) - the guy was very Benny Hill like & told us he only had "one loom to lent" then abused us (fl**k you) when we tried to find out how many beds in the room!

Eventually found accomm in the Turner Valley Inn. Jonathan left us here to ride back to his home only 45 mins by the most direct route after we had done 400km to get here! Such is the winding nature of the TCAT that takes 15,000 + Kms from Newfoundland to Vancouver - over double the distance to that by direct main highway!
Friday we left Turner Valley on good roads, gravel & winding hoping to get through the Indian Graves area but we had to turn back at huge washout. The first washout we came across was no problem to negotiate through a bush track, but the second one a km or so later was impassable. We then rode to Frank the site of Canada's most deadly slip. The rockfall had come down at 4am one morning in 1903 burying the town and blocking the nightshift miners in the mine. They eventually managed to dig themselves out to find a 1km wide slip (still there) that had burried the town and worse - 70 people had been killed.

We rejoined the trail at Crows Nest Pass (around this time we crossed into British Columbia) just out of Frank riding great scenic and rugged gravel roads through forestry all the way into Fernie past the historic courthouse and down the mainstreet to gas up and have lunch.

As it was only 2.30 we decided to press on to Radium Hot Springs via Queen Creek Rd. This was a fantastic gravel road narrow winding alongside the Bow River (a havoc wrecker a few weeks ago) through forestry areas that were obviously being worked. We saw a wide selection of animals - horses, deer and many squirrel/chipmonks or Marmots (not sure which).

As we rode beside this beautiful river we encountered some serious washouts with tracks around them and encountered no major problems until at the 75kms point. A bridge had disappeared and been replaced by a huge rocky dry creek bed which for some reason (probably the 75kms we would have to retrace if we turned back) we allowed valour to overcome discretion and decided to work our way across this obstacle. Manhandling the bikes across these boulders in 32o heat was seriously hard work. Bryan's skills & long legs allowed him to ride (paddle) his bike across. After we had got our breath back we pressed on to find after only 500m a worse impassable washout!

Returning to the 1st washout was gutting as we re-manhandled the bikes with Bryan paddle/riding all 3 bikes back across whilst Keith & I discussed symptoms of heat exhaustion. Back on the same road to Fernie after a slight diversion due to misunderstanding the GPS instructions, we covered the 75kms in good time, seeing on the way 2 moose, horses & deer.

After checking into a motel in Fernie we received a new route from Ted (TCAT coordinator) which diverted us away from the route we had just attempted. If we had seen this earlier we could have saved us a 170kms trip. However not wasted as the trip with the exception of the washout was one our favourite tracks of the TCAT so far.

We adjourned to the Pub next door to our motel having received advice from Ted that another guy was doing the TCAT in reverse (West to East) & possibly we may encounter him in the next day or so. Lo & behold he then arrived in the pub looking for us.

Craig is an Aussie from Brisbane, has been on the road since last year, sometimes with his wife and appears to have been everywhere. He is riding a KTM 990, at the moment riding by himself as his wife has returned to Aus to welcome their new grandchild. He has ridden through Russia, all the "Stans" Kazik, Uzebecki, etc etc. He has also been from Russia through Mongolia and recently been to the Yukon & Alaska!!! Craig has covered a lot of the US & is now doing the TCAT And of course has previously done outback Australia. Phew!

Saturday

Not to be deterred by our turn back on Queen Creek road, we hit the main highway heading North then South & after around 100kms up a gravel road to Whiteswan Lake. Beautiful scenery of the rockies with great gravel roads. We passed natural outdoor hotpools and continued to the furthest point on the lake where there were camp sites and what appeared to be baches. At this point we figured we were only about 20 Kms from the Queen Creek turn back the day before. Most frustrating, as we had lost half a day.

Returning down the same road to rejoin the TCAT trail which took us over some remote gravel roads with continuing jaw dropping and spectacular scenery. Continuing on the TCAT WE headed towards Radium - a hot spring resort. The road was a good gravel road until the last 20kms which was bulldust (like thick soft sand) requiring concentration. Dust dust & more but great roads.

We then turned onto a major sealed road which was a huge descent into Radium probably 1000m which tested the brakes on the seemingly endless line of trucks travelling down this road.

Radium is a medium sized town based around the hot springs with a good choice of accommodation. After seeing a park full of the "stations of the cross" (the holy Romans are everywhere) we found a comfortable 2 room motel, did some housekeeping (washing & minor bike servicing) & then downtown for a meal. The town appears to have a strong Bavarian influence judging by some of the architecture and the Schnitzel restaurant we ended up eating at. Both the blonde blue eyed waitress & the Maitre De were wearing leather laiderhausen. Very authentic. They provided great service and excellent schnitzel from a choice of schnitzel, schnitzel or schnitzel although different variations. Ordering a bottle of Argentinian wine the waitresses' eyes lit up and we guessed this is where her great grandfather has been hiding out since 1945. As Basil Fawlty would say "Dont mention the war!"

A great finish to a short 220km day which somehow ended 340 km!
sthamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #2811
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamerica View Post
Both the blonde blue eyed waitress & the Maitre De were wearing leather laiderhausen. Very authentic. They provided great service and excellent schnitzel from a choice of schnitzel, schnitzel or schnitzel although different variations.
LOL! Awesome. I loves me some schnitzel. Actually, after spending a lot of time in Austria over the last 20 years, I've developed an appreciation for Lederhosen and Dirndl, too.

Lederhosen in BC? Who knew?
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #2812
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
Yeah I thought I would get a little more out of it first time I have tried on the rear. I think I will try to find a 908 though don't really like how they handle.

The motoz seems to be holding up well also. Not as highway friendly as the 908 but much cheaper.

Sent using a techy gadget from somewhere
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #2813
ciedema
мотоциклист

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post
The motoz seems to be holding up well also. Not as highway friendly as the 908 but much cheaper.

Sent using a techy gadget from somewhere
Yeah they are okay and I should support the Aussie products any it will be whatever I can get in Saskatchwan.

Quote:
Old 07-31-2013, 06:01 AM   #2814
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,474
Photos from the Kiwi's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamerica View Post
Thursday July 25th: back on the trail after two great days break in Banff.

We picked local rider Jonathan up at his house who helped us navigate due to the number of roads closed by the recent catastrophic flooding. He lead us on great gravel back roads via Water Valley to join the trail at Canmore. Then the Smith Dorian highway - an amazing winding gravel road up the side of the mountains behind Canmore with spectacular views of the Rockies, then unfortunately we were turned back at Powderface Road due to flood damage making the road impassable.

Detoured using the GPS and travelled on more fast gravel roads, then a short section of track eventually arriving at Turner Valley where huge flood damage was evident. A local campground on the edge of the river had been destroyed and was now mud & debris that had been washed down & destroyed buildings. Apparantely in this area a young girl lost her life in the flood after being swept away and there was a lot of fundraising going on for her family & her horse who she was trying to save. We rode on to Black Diamond only 3kms away where Keith had a colourful conversation with an Asian motellier who was obviously anti motorcyclist (Cowboy Trail Motel) - the guy was very Benny Hill like & told us he only had "one loom to lent" then abused us (fl**k you) when we tried to find out how many beds in the room!

Eventually found accomm in the Turner Valley Inn. Jonathan left us here to ride back to his home only 45 mins by the most direct route after we had done 400km to get here! Such is the winding nature of the TCAT that takes 15,000 + Kms from Newfoundland to Vancouver - over double the distance to that by direct main highway!
Friday we left Turner Valley on good roads, gravel & winding hoping to get through the Indian Graves area but we had to turn back at huge washout. The first washout we came across was no problem to negotiate through a bush track, but the second one a km or so later was impassable. We then rode to Frank the site of Canada's most deadly slip. The rockfall had come down at 4am one morning in 1903 burying the town and blocking the nightshift miners in the mine. They eventually managed to dig themselves out to find a 1km wide slip (still there) that had burried the town and worse - 70 people had been killed.

We rejoined the trail at Crows Nest Pass (around this time we crossed into British Columbia) just out of Frank riding great scenic and rugged gravel roads through forestry all the way into Fernie past the historic courthouse and down the mainstreet to gas up and have lunch.

As it was only 2.30 we decided to press on to Radium Hot Springs via Queen Creek Rd. This was a fantastic gravel road narrow winding alongside the Bow River (a havoc wrecker a few weeks ago) through forestry areas that were obviously being worked. We saw a wide selection of animals - horses, deer and many squirrel/chipmonks or Marmots (not sure which).

As we rode beside this beautiful river we encountered some serious washouts with tracks around them and encountered no major problems until at the 75kms point. A bridge had disappeared and been replaced by a huge rocky dry creek bed which for some reason (probably the 75kms we would have to retrace if we turned back) we allowed valour to overcome discretion and decided to work our way across this obstacle. Manhandling the bikes across these boulders in 32o heat was seriously hard work. Bryan's skills & long legs allowed him to ride (paddle) his bike across. After we had got our breath back we pressed on to find after only 500m a worse impassable washout!

Returning to the 1st washout was gutting as we re-manhandled the bikes with Bryan paddle/riding all 3 bikes back across whilst Keith & I discussed symptoms of heat exhaustion. Back on the same road to Fernie after a slight diversion due to misunderstanding the GPS instructions, we covered the 75kms in good time, seeing on the way 2 moose, horses & deer.

After checking into a motel in Fernie we received a new route from Ted (TCAT coordinator) which diverted us away from the route we had just attempted. If we had seen this earlier we could have saved us a 170kms trip. However not wasted as the trip with the exception of the washout was one our favourite tracks of the TCAT so far.

We adjourned to the Pub next door to our motel having received advice from Ted that another guy was doing the TCAT in reverse (West to East) & possibly we may encounter him in the next day or so. Lo & behold he then arrived in the pub looking for us.

Craig is an Aussie from Brisbane, has been on the road since last year, sometimes with his wife and appears to have been everywhere. He is riding a KTM 990, at the moment riding by himself as his wife has returned to Aus to welcome their new grandchild. He has ridden through Russia, all the "Stans" Kazik, Uzebecki, etc etc. He has also been from Russia through Mongolia and recently been to the Yukon & Alaska!!! Craig has covered a lot of the US & is now doing the TCAT And of course has previously done outback Australia. Phew!

Saturday

Not to be deterred by our turn back on Queen Creek road, we hit the main highway heading North then South & after around 100kms up a gravel road to Whiteswan Lake. Beautiful scenery of the rockies with great gravel roads. We passed natural outdoor hotpools and continued to the furthest point on the lake where there were camp sites and what appeared to be baches. At this point we figured we were only about 20 Kms from the Queen Creek turn back the day before. Most frustrating, as we had lost half a day.

Returning down the same road to rejoin the TCAT trail which took us over some remote gravel roads with continuing jaw dropping and spectacular scenery. Continuing on the TCAT WE headed towards Radium - a hot spring resort. The road was a good gravel road until the last 20kms which was bulldust (like thick soft sand) requiring concentration. Dust dust & more but great roads.

We then turned onto a major sealed road which was a huge descent into Radium probably 1000m which tested the brakes on the seemingly endless line of trucks travelling down this road.

Radium is a medium sized town based around the hot springs with a good choice of accommodation. After seeing a park full of the "stations of the cross" (the holy Romans are everywhere) we found a comfortable 2 room motel, did some housekeeping (washing & minor bike servicing) & then downtown for a meal. The town appears to have a strong Bavarian influence judging by some of the architecture and the Schnitzel restaurant we ended up eating at. Both the blonde blue eyed waitress & the Maitre De were wearing leather laiderhausen. Very authentic. They provided great service and excellent schnitzel from a choice of schnitzel, schnitzel or schnitzel although different variations. Ordering a bottle of Argentinian wine the waitresses' eyes lit up and we guessed this is where her great grandfather has been hiding out since 1945. As Basil Fawlty would say "Dont mention the war!"

A great finish to a short 220km day which somehow ended 340 km!
Some photos to accompany this update...

At Jonathons....The kind of garage every self respecting motorcyclist should have.

Stunning vistas through the Rockies

" Road closed " that doesn't apply to us - does it? 2 sweaty hours later, we recalled this sign...

Queen Creek Rd. maybe now closed forever due to huge slips , but an unbelievable road on a trail bike.

The first slip. Diversion track up onto the bush behind was easy go around but more in store.

Bryan looking for a route over The second slip in 30+ c. Only his long legs with mike and keith grunting behind got 3 bikes over - and he has a Brocken shoulder! Next corner was another bigger slip . So gutted we could not bring ourselves to photo it!

Mike and Bryan on Queen Creek Rd before the drama began...

ps..I sent you that GPS file to get around Queen Creek after I saw you turn around on your spot tracker....it wasn't something I was aware of prior to seeing you get turned back

Travel Safely guys and keep the updates coming

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:58 AM   #2815
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Whoa...that tire isn't going to get you too far. I had a 950 for a few years and the 908 from Dunlop was the only tire that I could get to last 5k km's of aggressive riding on gravel.

Travel safely, glad to hear the tracks are working well.

Spoke with the Kiwis via email today. They are having a rest day in Kelowna. Tomorrow they start their last leg of their journey, likely 4 days before they get to the coast
The Michelin Desert will last a long time too.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #2816
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,546
Keith, Bryan and Mike arrived Monday evening into Kelowna. After many long days, they decided to take a day off and rest up.

Some minor maintenance, sight seeing, and a little extra sleep was on the agenda for Tuesday.

Oh, and after 13,000 kms of dirt, it was time for some laundry to be done Kiwi style.

As you have already read from those who have been lucky enough to meet them, they are three truly great guys.

Back on the trail Wednesday morning for the final 4 to 5 days.
"Cheers"
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #2817
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,570
Hey, I saw those guys somewhere between Kimberley and Fernie, I just can't think of where. I only remember seeing 2 WRs though.

I love the Kiwi Washing Machine!
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:27 PM   #2818
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
I love the Kiwi Washing Machine!
Not to be confused with the Kiwi Wine Press.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:34 PM   #2819
ciedema
мотоциклист

Made it to Danielson PP. Another great day out. Apparently there's some guy's heading the opposite way behind the Kiwis. I didn't see them but did see there wheel marks.

Had one section of deep mud I decided not to tackle and some long dry grass I thought would be a fire risk to ride over.

Broken pannier racks today (welds cracked) have to find a welder in the morning.

Quote:
Old 07-31-2013, 10:46 PM   #2820
sthamerica
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Trail tales at 15,000 km

Sunday July 28th. left Radium & after only 1 km we were on a great , testy gravel road - Horsethief road. Climbing and crossing some small streams following power lines we were again on a great winding road through pine/fir forests, with some tricky spots to command our attention .

Descending into the small town of Kimberly for gas and a coffee we then did a sealed road section before turning off onto a forestry road Gray Creek Pass. This was rough, with plenty of rocks to avoid & eventually this unmaintained road led us up to 2050m - snow level, where it was few degrees cooler.

As we dropped down we were treated to fantastic views of Kootenay Lake which we were shortly to cross on a ferry, apparantely the longest free ferry trip in the world all paid for by our tax $ (well Canadian tax $!)

Waiting to get on the ferry we met two women motorcyclists one is a journalist for a local motorcycle magazine - she was riding a GSXR600 & her friend was on a GSXR750.Leaving the ferry after a 45 minute trip across a beautiful lake, we then rode on a winding sealed road alongside the lake for about 40kms- being left for dead by the ladies on their sports bikes.

Arriving in Kaslo we were approached by 2 policeman at a gas stop who showed no interest in our registration or licence legalities, but plenty in our trip. They told us we would definitely see bears on the next leg of our trip.

120km gravel to Trout Lake - a beautiful spot and continued to our 2nd ferry crossing of the day where we managed to sneak on after it was nearly full. (advantage of small trail bikes) Got talking to a BMW R1150 rider and his wife on their way home to Revelstoke after a few days touring who also wanted all the details of our trip. They were pretty impressed that Keith & Bryan had started in St Johns Newfoundland and had done nearly 15,000 kms since starting.

Off the ferry at Galena after a 35 minute ride we rode a sealed highway into Revelstok - a 530kms day.

Monday, leaving Revelstoke Mike was still looking for his first close-up of a bear. We had just heard that a camper had been seriously injured by a polar bear whilst sleeping in his tent camping in Northern Labrador. Another theory up in smoke, as we maintained that if the tent zip was done up securely their paws were too big to unzip it !!!!

Out of Revelstoke on the highway back towards the ferry we then turned up a forestry road.This was a rough rocky road which inspite of the sign saying "Active Logging Do Not Proceed", we continued on -meeting a logging truck coming towards us with a huge load and a huge cloud of dust. Shortly after we were forced to stop for 10 minutes as a mechanical arm lifted the trailer off the back of tractor unit.

Continuing on this road of rocks and ruts we descended alongside spectacular views of Arrow Lake stopping for lunch and gas at the small township of Edgewood. We spoke to some people there who were just finishing a 290km ATV trip.After leaving this friendly township we we soon were on a rutted steep track which has been carved out in parts by a watercourse, with the surrounding bush brushing our handlebars. A good challenge, a situation where momentum was required to just to keep bouncing rock to rock to get to the top.

The next narrow gravel road - Mike was leading - back on bear patrol & he xans upon a black bear. It was a good size & came out the undergrowth around 25m in front, ran along the track in front for a few seconds then disappeared into the bush on the right - next target to spot a Grizzly.

Emerging at the end of this trail we were treated to a couple of hours of fast smooth gravel roads. Bryan saw a pair of Coyotes on the side of the road so with the bear a good wildlife day. Around 40kms out from Kelowna, our next goal, we were met by Ross on his BMW GS1200.

Ross has marked out most of the route for BC & he and his wive Bev had kindly invited us to stay with them for a couple of nights. A beautiful meal cooked by Bev was a great end to another big day -560kms.

Tuesday was a rest day at Ross & Bev's washing our gear a bit of bike maintenance and a guided tour of this beautiful city and its lake by Ross. Another great dinner tonight with all our gear ready for tomorrow. Some help from Ross with our route for the next few days, advice on gas availability in the more remote areas we are heading into leaves us well set up for the next stage. Very hospitable people living in great part of BC.

Tomorrow, into Northern BC.
sthamerica is offline   Reply With Quote