Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #2836
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartron View Post
We just did Grey Creek pass. The TCAT 2.8 routed us over the old grey creek pass by the power line. Half way through it there's a deep v-shaped creek crossing full of large rocks. We passed on that nonsense, turned around, and went back on the smooth newer grey creek pass.

Deadly can you check the track? That path as indicated now would really shag some people up. Can email me through ADV and I'll send a pic of the GPS screen.

Of course I could be wrong!
You are not wrong. The Kiwis had a problem there as well. I'm sure Deadly will get it fixed quickly.
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #2837
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANXMAN View Post
You are not wrong. The Kiwis had a problem there as well. I'm sure Deadly will get it fixed quickly.

PM sent Bartron

Ceidema...awesome updates, THANKS

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #2838
Bartron
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 679
Touched base with Deadly. He's gonna make that a tech section.

I'll post pics late next week.

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post

PM sent Bartron

Ceidema...awesome updates, THANKS

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #2839
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,909
Hi Deadly in track logs I sent you is the track of the new road over Gray Pass. Seeing the western end after being stuck the earlier I thought that isn't the correct way. The GPS maps show the old road.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #2840
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Revision 2.9 Posted

This version changes track file "08 BC 05" aka Grey creek pass in BC. The "old road" is now an optional tech section and the "new road' which is much easier is now the main route.

Thanks Bartron for pointing this out

Old 08-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #2841
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,909
So my last day in Saskatchwan today I have to say the trails between Narrow Hills PP and Nipawin from yesterday are a blast sand was nice and drivey especially closer to Nipawin.

Out of Lake Tobin there is a run down on an irrigation canal very overgrown grass handle bar deep. So I had to bail on that or I would still be there! Nice riding through the forest today the track out from Hudson Bay. I wanted really hammer it but way to narrow with all the deer about saw quite a few today.

Anyway made it Swann River for Tim Hortons. 4000ks done from Osoyoos in the last 11 days only another 9000ks to go!

A few pics from today.

This beautiful old girl bid me farewell from the Saskatchwan border. Old and pretty broken but with lots of character.

I figure that is a reasonablly large Ukrainian population here I have seen a number of these Orthodox Churches now.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.

ciedema screwed with this post 08-03-2013 at 06:06 PM
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #2842
sthamerica
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Kiwis ride the Big Dog at 16,000 Kms

Wednesday July 31st we left Kelowna accompanied by Ross who led us back to the trail. After farewells we were on the trail again with the 1st 30kms a winding banked sealed road before becoming gravel.

We spent hours riding alongside Mabel Lake which as are all of the countless lakes here - very scenic. We had a stop at a small picturesque camp called Cottonwood Bay with a few RVs here that had set up for a relaxing break. Boats pulled up on the beach, trout jumping in the lake and a pleasant 30 degree temperature made for an idyllic holiday spot.

After leaving here the trail was blocked by a locked gate which we spent some time bush bashing to find an away around but eventually had to find a diversion back to the trail further on. Up another ATV track and having a close encounter with a cow that wandered out of the undergrowth, we pressed on towards Clearwater.

Today and over the last several days we have often been travelling logging roads which in most cases have the logging traffic controlled by a dispatcher somewhere. At regular intervals signs indicate to the drivers that they must call on a certain frequency so the despatcher is able to give fully laden logging trucks a clear run down & out of the forest. Once the driver gets the all clear apparantely they charge down the hill using the whole road and the 40 tons or whatever load they are carrying ensures there is no chance of a quick stop.

We of course have no radio contact so we ride these roads mindful of the juggernaut that may await us on the next corner assigning us to squashed status. Fortunately it never happened & the trucks we did meet seemed to be travelling at a sedate pace. Maybe this juggernaut story is all a myth but you just don't know for sure!

Arriving in Clearwater at 7pm & 470kms, Mikes small tanked WR ran out of gas in sight of a gas station having achieved 242km on a 7.6L tank. Amazing!

Thursday we left Clearwater and were soon back on the same types of trail passing the same types of scenery and loving it all. This country must have the most lakes per sq km anywhere. Today we passed so many one blurred into another. However some that we did recall were ; Tiny Tim Lake; Canim Lake; Horsefly Lake & River and Quesnel Lake. On one of these roads we crested a brow to see a Black Bear and 3 cubs in the road around 50m ahead. We stopped but before we could access our cameras they disappeared into the bush on the side of the road. A deer on the side of the road was our only other wild life sighting today. We arrived in Horse Fly (wondering where the name came from) and found they have gas here 365 days a year. Good information as this was marked as only a possible for gas.

Onwards towards Likely we rode a fantastic banked winding gravel road for around 50kms before exiting onto the main road and into Likely crossing a wooden bridge over the beautiful Quesnel River. Likely is/was a gold mining town with a very interesting rustic pub. However we continued on to our cabin at the Morehead Lake 16kms away. A good cabin with 2 bedrooms and ensuite along with a home cooked meal and breakfast by the proprietor made this a pleasant stay. Spectacular evening electrical storm over the lake was a good finish to the 312kms travelled today.

Saturday on the way back to Likely we stopped at the Big Bullion Mine and saw watercannons that were gravity fed fron Morehead Lake which wass man- made in the 1850s. They have blasted a couple of huge open cast mines in this area (one we saw) to extract gold. In the late 1800s apparantely it was the biggest man made hole on earth. They are still extracting gold, silver zinc etc from another open cast mine in this area on the other side of the lake.

Rode from Likely after gassing up on winding fun gravel, before turning off onto a narrow track through quite dense undergrowth. This is grizzley country so travelling at 20 - 30kms per hour it occured to us if an aggressive Grizzly appeared (they can run as fast as a horse) we may be in deep do-dos. Anyway it didnt happen (although we saw plenty of bear scat) and after a few kms we came to a dead end with thick bush and no way through.

Backtracking, grizzly thoughts were soon preeminent however we got back to the main gravel road without incident. Continuing towards our goal of Wells we soon came upon the other end of this track when we crossed the Caribou River to rejoin the trail. As we had a short day we decided to go along this track (heading back in the direction we had come) to see where it went. After a few kms we came to a washout (small ravine) which halted our progress. No one has ridden this way recently! Backtracking to the trail we continued towards Wells.

More spectacular scenery - rivers, forests - many of which are being badly effected by a bug borne disease - many trees dead & dying, although apparantely they can still harvest & use the timber. Gravel windy dusty roads all the way into Wells at around 190kms for the day. Lucky to get Motel accommodation here as there a huge music art festival on this weekend. The town is full of hippies most looking like refugees from the 1960s!

A couple of interesting hours spent at Barkerville, a local shanty town which was the site of one of Canada's biggest gold rushes in the mid 1880s.

Tomorrow the steady route south to the finish line at Vancouver begins with thoughts of home calling..
sthamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:15 AM   #2843
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Photos From The Kiwi's

The Kiwi's emailed me a bunch of photos that accompany their last write up...

Grey Creek Pass, what a ride!

Trout Lake BC - pristine

Mabel Lake

Active operations on forestry road require patience by riders to get through. Drivers very accommodating .

Mud and ruts are fun - for a while...

Keith on bear patrol. We were seriously concerned about in expectantly startling one of the mama and cubs we had seen about in the dense bush.

Well earned bevy at Morehead Lake. 2000 + Kms in 4 riding days. Phew!

Croocked Lake. Classic Canada.

Huckleberry dessert for dinner at Morehead Lake Cabins. She had to pick them quick before the bears!

The trail out of Likely. Fresh bear poop - but where is the pooper??

Ok Bryan - the GPS does say go down there but I don't know ...out of Likely

Fun fun fun on these trails in northern BC. Scenery bloody stunning.

Trying to find a go around to impassable Genevieve Road out of Wells. Mud and ruts a test of skills and eventually had to turn back. TCAT route now updated by Deadly to avoid !

Deadly99 screwed with this post 08-04-2013 at 04:31 AM
Old 08-04-2013, 04:22 AM   #2844
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

We have been very fortunate to have the Kiwi's "proving" the GPS file across the country. In each province they have found a couple of errors with our work and trails/roads that suffered damage from mother nature and or industry which makes them no longer suitable.

Between emails back and forth explaining their days and offering their suggestions along with emailing me their track files....well everyone in the TCAT project certainly appreciates it guys, as will others following in your footsteps, sincerely.

Revision 3.0 is almost ready to be published. There are quite a few small yet imprortant changes in the Cariboo region of BC.

The Kiwi's tell me they are leaving their luggage behind today and are going to ride one of the optional loops (08 BC 20). This loop will take them into Chilko Lake. The fact alone that after 2 months and 15, 000 km's of riding these lads still have the energy to explore optional sections of the TCAT is awesome!!!! Add to that and Bryan has a broken collarbone and well....its bloody inspiring!!!!

Safe travels guys, only a couple of days left

Deadly99 screwed with this post 08-04-2013 at 04:33 AM
Old 08-04-2013, 04:43 AM   #2845
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
Anyway made it Swann River for Tim Hortons. 4000ks done from Osoyoos in the last 11 days only another 9000ks to go

Travel safely, looking forward to meeting you in a few weeks

Old 08-04-2013, 07:04 AM   #2846
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,720
"Living, breathing, thing".....no kidding!!!! This is so cool that it's being tested and proven as we speak........thanks so much for sharing with all of us. I'm proud to have been involved. CAn't wait for the next installment from the kiwi's, ciedema, and maybe even bwokentoof , and bartron.....anyone else live on the trail???
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #2847
vwrally
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Just a note about the radio use on logging roads, they aren't controlled by a dispatcher. The trucks radio each other, and call out for example "km 20, loaded" which means a full truck heading out, or "km 19 empty" which means a truck going back in. They may also use "in" and "out", usually this is stated what terms to use on the sign at km 0 on the road. This way the drivers know where the other trucks are and when they will meet each other on coming, or when to pull over into one of the turnouts to let an eventually oncoming truck pass. Radio range is limited by distance and terrain, so you don't hear chatter from too far away. I've found in BC the truckers are usally reasonably accomodating to non-radio traffic on these roads, maybe since it is so much more common for locals to use them to access back country lakes and trails and such. In Alberta it is quite a different story, truckers get very angry when they come across non-radio traffic on "their" roads, and will often run you off the road, not fun.
vwrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #2848
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

To add to that...

Your a ghost in the system until you've been spotted. Typically loggers or whoever has a radio informs others on the band your direction of travel and whereabouts. Example "4 bikes heading in at 80 on the bull". Good rule of thumb to take it easy until your "known".

Old 08-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #2849
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
"Living, breathing, thing".....no kidding!!!! This is so cool that it's being tested and proven as we speak........thanks so much for sharing with all of us. I'm proud to have been involved. CAn't wait for the next installment from the kiwi's, ciedema, and maybe even bwokentoof , and bartron.....anyone else live on the trail???

Hi Jenna

A friend of mine, Frank, is heading east. Should be on the hand drawn ferry in Quebec right about now. He has a ride report going.

There are two mystery Brits about a week or so behind the Kiwi's.

Maat is headed east and likely in Labrador about now.

A few others riding smaller sections of the route, etc

A fellow from Canmore, Alberta should be leaving soon to ride BC including Vancouver Island.

A great first TCAT season

Next year I'll be living on the western half...hoping your coming

Old 08-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #2850
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,720
Holy crap!!! That's a lot of people!!! I forgot about the brits....father and son if I remember right. If I can cough up some cash in the next 12, I'm in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Hi Jenna

A friend of mine, Frank, is heading east. Should be on the hand drawn ferry in Quebec right about now. He has a ride report going.

There are two mystery Brits about a week or so behind the Kiwi's.

Maat is headed east and likely in Labrador about now.

A few others riding smaller sections of the route, etc

A fellow from Canmore, Alberta should be leaving soon to ride BC including Vancouver Island.

A great first TCAT season

Next year I'll be living on the western half...hoping your coming

hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote