User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #2971
Lurkerlou
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
The Making of a Cross Canada Route

Can anyone please help me download the tcat files?

I must be missing something as I go to checkout get the confirmation email etc and when I try to follow the link it comes up as invalid.

I have tried on my iPad , PC , iPhone to download the file .........well basically everything shy of throwing my Garmin gps directly at my computer in hopes it will work.

I must be missing something here , you all worked too hard on this TCAT for people to not be able to access it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Lurkerlou screwed with this post 09-03-2013 at 08:47 PM
Lurkerlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #2972
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk View Post
Not sure if it worth to mention, or was it mentioned before, anyway, 1 of BC tracks, called 08 BC 02 001 has a small part which is closed to all motorised vehicles. They are restoring wild life habitat, and asking to report all violators to provided phone. Too bad I did not take a pic of the warning, it was big, on both ends, cannot miss it. Here are GPS coordinates, closed in between here N49 49 43.6 W115 42 42.7 and here N49 57 19.1 W115 40 09.2 I rode it anyway, no wildlife to be seen.
Thanks, will look into it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkerlou View Post
Can anyone please help me download the tcat files?

I must be missing something as I go to checkout get the confirmation email etc and when I try to follow the link it comes up as invalid.

I have tried on my iPad , PC , iPhone to download the file .........well basically everything shy of throwing my Garmin gps directly at my computer in hopes it will work.

I must be missing something here , you all worked too hard on this TCAT for people to not be able to access it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated .
Could I bother you to try again? Server was "offline" during some maintenance....I just tested it and its working fine and I see others are downloading files with no issues.....

Cheers

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #2973
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
For those who may see them....I just sent Ciedema out the road but he is now two up and on a slightly more street oriented tire. Road loaded and headed west. Stop and have a chat....they have a good yarn to spin.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #2974
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,912
Big thanks to murph for giving somewhere to crash and recuperate for a couple days. Outstanding hospitality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #2975
darbya
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
A huge congrats on finishing the route, quite the accomplishment

Thanks for the link to your blog and I look forward to hearing your feedback

+1

Lots of folks would likely enjoy reading your story, folks that wouldnt normally read this thread

Now that we are home and have more time on our hands, before I start university, here are our thoughts on the TCAT.

1) Route. Let us look at the route itself and any difficulties associated with it. Fortunately the Kiwis have reported on most of the problems but here are some thoughts that reiterate what they found and additional stuff especially with regard to VI. You will note that they are nearly all blockages associated with the weather and during any other year will more than likely not exist.

In Ontario and Quebec there were many washouts due to the high level of rainfall and these have been well documented by the Kiwis. Of particular note though was the Technical Section in Quebec during Route QC08. The Technical Section turned out to be a short section of good gravel road whilst the Normal Route was some 25km of narrow, rocky and at times overgrown single/double track. It would appear that the two sections should be labelled oppositely i.e the technical section as normal and the normal section as technical. On top of that the normal section had at least two washouts some 15-20 metres across and 5-10 metres deep which were completely impassable.

In Saskatchewan during SK05 there is a section where the trail turns off the 225 on to a mud road and enters Batoche First Nation land. Soon after the turn off the route was completely flooded though we followed a track being used by First Nations people that cut through crops around the flooding.

This work around was very easy but then after a couple of km the trail then became overgrown and disappeared into a very wet section that was impassable.

On SK06 between Vonda and Kyle, I cannot remember exactly where we can across more flooding.

Once in Alberta there was a section of gravel road during AB07 which led up into the mountains towards Crowsnest Pass and was impassable due to numerous washouts. We managed to get through 3 but the 4th beat us. This was unfortunate since locals who we met said that the remoteness and views made this section extremely beautiful and a lot of fun. This section was also documented by the Kiwis.

Once in British Columbia and on leaving Horsefly, on BC15 the trail led to Quesnel Lake and I am sure that it was here just past a Provincial Campsite on the lake that we encountered a washout that was also hidden by fallen trees. The workaround here was quite simple and it was possible to pick up the trail about 2km later.

There was also some confusion regarding the area around the Cariboo River in Route BC16. On leaving Likely the trail proceeds NE and then NW and as the trail approaches the Cariboo River an old sign informs you that the bridge is out. This is where we expected to cross the river so we searched the river bank in either direction for 200m or so without success.

We tried for some hours for a workaround and we even came across plant equipment being used to show roads were closed. Eventually we had to go back to Likely and take the Highway to where we could pick up the trail.

So onto the Vancouver Island Section. There were a couple of locked gate issues for this section of the route and the first was soon after leaving Nanaimo. After turning right off the HWY1 onto the paved Mt Slicker road close to Cp Chemainus R the road twists and turns on pavement for 5km or so and then turns to gravel. After approx 1km of gravel the route was barred by a closed barrier that was impassable and bore the notice ‘Gate Closed due to high fire hazard’. There was no workaround that allowed us to get back on this portion of the trail so we followed HWY1 and then Hillcrest Rd route 18 to where the trail crossed this road.

Warning of the next closed gate was given in the TCAT description for the section out of Port Alberni. This was Track VI03 and we did not need to use the alternative route since we were able to get around the gate. Our excuse was that it was clear that ATVs and motorbikes had previously gone around and we would just plead ignorance as Brits. This was a really nice part of the trail and gave some good views and fortunately a vehicle was just passing through the gate at the other end of this area so we were able to get out without any problems.

2) Bike Selection The 2 bikes that we took were a Suzuki DRZ400s and a BMW 650X Challenge. The first mistake was that we broke the golden rule of not taking bikes that differ in performance. Generally fully loaded the DRZ was a little underpowered but would have been great without camping equipment. The BMW had great power to weight ratio and handled well so my choice if I was to do the trail again would be a bike with a minimum capacity of 650cc.

3) Camping. There were plenty of places to camp along the route. Wild, provincial and commercial sites though since RVs are all the rage many sites have a layer of gravel making it hard to drive in a tent peg. I am sure with a light bike, minimum kit and riding hard it would be possible to stay in a bed every night.

4) Distance. The total number of km we clocked up were 16,800.

5) Experience. Stupidly I embarked on this route with very limited off road experience and what there was involved 100km or so on gravel roads. Consequently I could be regarded as a novice and without a very patient riding partner would probably not have completed the route. For those of you who have a similar amount of experience to mine then I would say think very carefully about starting since this trip though not technically difficult is testing especially in terms of its length and concentration required.

There are many great things about the TCAT and in terms of the non riding component it is very easy. There are plenty of fuel, no prolonged border crossings or language problems, the ease in paying for and plentiful availability of supplies and of course no corrupt policemen.

Can I say thank you to all involved in producing a trail that has given us some truly memorable moments!!!
darbya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #2976
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by darbya View Post
Now that we are home and have more time on our hands, before I start university, here are our thoughts on the TCAT.

**snip excellent commentary and photos**

Can I say thank you to all involved in producing a trail that has given us some truly memorable moments!!!
Appreciated the email updates while you were on the trail - and the next time I'm in the city and you're free, coffee is on me. All its gonna cost you is some TCAT Stories.

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #2977
darbya
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Appreciated the email updates while you were on the trail - and the next time I'm in the city and you're free, coffee is on me. All its gonna cost you is some TCAT Stories.
Be great to meet up and I have plenty of stories I am in the process of putting together a presentation for friends and colleagues in Halifax.
darbya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #2978
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbya View Post
Be great to meet up and I have plenty of stories I am in the process of putting together a presentation for friends and colleagues in Halifax.

Myself and others would enjoy hearing about your trip

Maybe a ride report?

Old 09-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #2979
G-Mac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Myself and others would enjoy hearing about your trip

Maybe a ride report?

I second that. Great pics deserve a great read with them. (Even if I have to get someone to read it to me hehehe)
2002 XR250R Dirty Girl so fun to ride
1997 KLR 650 miss the old girl. Never washed!
G-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #2980
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojournalism View Post
Best thing about the TCAT GPS POIs = RAs CTs & THs!

You just can't cross Canada without TH.

In Thunder Bay now been hitting small sections of TCAT, but slabbing most of the way to get out West faster. Will hit more on the way back!
Forgive me, for I have been out of Canada for over 20 years now. CT = Canadian Tire. TH = Timmies. RA? Surely, it must be obvious, but it completely escapes me.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:27 AM   #2981
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 983
Im guessing RA= rest area, cant think of much else......
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #2982
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
08 BC Tech Alternative

At the entrance to 08 BC 01 Tech Alternative, here N49 37 34.6 W114 40 19.1, the road marked as this: road closed

Does the road is really closed or that is why it is "tech alternative". Did not have time to check on my own.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #2983
morerpmfred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
The road / land through inn at the border is owned by inn on the border. It is a private road. For the guests. Bypass is only a couple miles away and not extra distance.
morerpmfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #2984
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by morerpmfred View Post
The road / land through inn at the border is owned by inn on the border. It is a private road. For the guests. Bypass is only a couple miles away and not extra distance.

Any chance you could send me a Google map, gps file or description of the go around so I can fix up the gps files with a new revision?

Cheers

Old 09-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #2985
morerpmfred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Do not have a gps track. But gotta a picture from esrd pdf file for the area.
At waypoint 62 the inn of the border is just to the ne. At the end of the orange trail. You want to go in at waypoint 61. And then go to waypoint 60 or 59. Way point 58 is tent pass and waypoint 57 is ptolemy pass. The red line is the crowsnest highway or highway 3. The white area to the west is all bc. Hope this helps.
morerpmfred is offline   Reply With Quote